Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurotest training

Poster: A snowHead
skimottaret wrote:
kitenski a tactical move to avoid skidding below gate and scrubbing speed which I tried to explain in a blog here http://www.insideoutskiing.com/news_files/gs_training_with_graham_bell.html

Sometimes known as a 'stivot' and, kitenski you'll see the same watching WC GS, especially with FIS increasing min ski radius in recent years.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
is a stivot really necessary to pass a ET ?

its basically a result of the FIS rules for skis with minimum turn radius.
all the top racers can carve clean turns.
however the one that win races, such as Ligety, bend the rules of conventional skiing with such manouveres.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Haggis_Trap wrote:
balernoStu wrote:
Podium early Dec in Tignes for me then down to AdH if, and only if, performance is well ahead of where I was last November. Technically moved on from last season but physical recovery rate and getting comfortable skiing at the required speed again are likely to be issues. In fact I've come to the conclusion that I never actually get fitter or stronger between ski trips, and the amount of training I get in just slows the rate of decline!

Everyone I know who has passed a ET has either

1) ski raced to high level as a kid and then passed in their 20s.
or
2) been doing seasons full-time and able to train for on snow for an extended period of time (i.e 1->4months)

Exceptions to the above will be few and far between.
I would like to think the ET is achievable - even for those in their 30s and 40s.
However to pass requires lots of time (and time = money).

Indeed, and I'm not feeling confident about it. In some ways I'd have been better going for the pre-season Teach exam instead as I've got useful coaching practice in this summer at the expense of my own ski training time. However, GS training is actually enjoyable on the right day, so here we go Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

My 27s are full WC racestock and stiff as hell
your gonna have fun in the ruts Wink May have to get em shipped over to Sass which is not great, I will be seriously unhappy to buy skis and not get em in time from training...

kitenski, during inspection.... in theory .....

Haggis_Trap, watch the Eurotest opener in the video I put up... Yes is the answer unless you are rapid and can arc all your turns.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I passed the ET at 42 years old without any racing background, on my 6th attempt so it is possible! I had a lot of ski miles but I think there are 3 things - fitness and training are definitely friends but the most surprising things is how many people had more or less talked themselves out of passing before they pushed through the start wand. Be realistic but be positive!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ChamHead, welcome to snowheads and well done Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, thanks. not much of a blogger but as i know something about skiing i thought this would be a good place to start!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ChamHead wrote:
I passed the ET at 42 years old without any racing background, on my 6th attempt so it is possible! I had a lot of ski miles but I think there are 3 things - fitness and training are definitely friends but the most surprising things is how many people had more or less talked themselves out of passing before they pushed through the start wand. Be realistic but be positive!

Excellent, re-inforces that it should be still be possible!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pedantica wrote:
Touchguru,
Quote:

trying to overcome countless injuries

What have you been doing to yourself? Shocked Hope all OK now, lots of luck with the training.

What HAVEN'T I been doing, more like it!! Smile Just various old injuries coming up at inopportune times and stopping me from exercising as I would have liked, Pedantica
Thanks for the wishes Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ChamHead wrote:

This is good to hear Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jimmer, heard from Rossi today that GS skis are due in on the 23rd. hope yet...

Touchguru, Have heard of two trainees who have to duck out of skiing after picking up injuries during dryland training. Hope yours arent too bad, I am nursing a rotator cuff injury after overdoing it a bit in the gym.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret wrote:
I am nursing a rotator cuff injury after overdoing it a bit in the gym.

Be careful, Gyms are dangerous places wink

Personally I am just nursing an old knackered body that just doesn't do what the mind tells it to do Confused
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="skimottaret"]
Quote:

RE Stivot
Haggis_Trap, watch the Eurotest opener in the video I put up... Yes is the answer unless you are rapid and can arc all your turns.

Really ? (genuine question).
My understanding was that ET courses were generally set to be "easy" (vs. a WC race course).
Plus there are no rules about minimum (35m) turn radius skis for ET.
So in theory if you have to stivot then there is probably a more fundamental issue with your choice of line ?
My understanding (perhaps wrong) is that stivoting is a technique used specifically for the massive turn radius ski that FIS regulations require ?

May do the ET at Cairngorm planned for this spring.
Being a FT office monkey I don't expect to pass - but would interested to see how close I can get.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret wrote:

Touchguru, Have heard of two trainees who have to duck out of skiing after picking up injuries during dryland training. Hope yours arent too bad, I am nursing a rotator cuff injury after overdoing it a bit in the gym.

Ouch! Hope it is not too serious!

I can't do any exercises above my head as I too have a left shoulder injury coupled with lower back and left calf injuries all in various modes of recovery/rehab but none at 100% yet and all still giving me issues!

Still, what doesn't kill me....makes me incredibly sore! Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Haggis_Trap, "Easy" courses compared to the top 60 in the world perhaps but a stivot is a good tactical move that even the openers occasionally put in and they set the times. Certainly worth having in the arsenal and much better than skidding below the gate. Have you done any GS racing on steep icy pitches like the white lady? If you can consistently arc your turns on a tough rutted course you will have a good chance of passing but if not...

here is another video of an opener, this time in Sass Fee on an icy course doing what he has to do ....

https://vimeo.com/109139085
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
...May do the ET at Cairngorm planned for this spring.
Being a FT office monkey I don't expect to pass - but would interested to see how close I can get.

Probably see you there then, def. worth a go if you get a decent amount of skiing in beforehand. Conditions were good for racing last time around, just a bit too good, see what we get this time!
snow conditions
So BASI won't let me book in for the Eurotest through them (I haven't done any courses with them yet), does anyone have any idea whether it's possible to do it directly through the organisers of the test?
snow conditions
I think you may be screwed there... Until you are a member of a Eurotest group association I dont think you can apply. This comes up with Swiss guys

can you not apply for equivalence through BASI and get your L2? with that you should be able to apply for the ET...
ski holidays
Applied for equivalence, they say exempt from l3 tech and teach, but can't book onto the ET until after I do another course as it's somehow different. I am rapidly starting to dislike BASI...
ski holidays
@jimmer, hmmm I thought all you needed was an L2 license. Typically a different set of rules for ET. Major drag...
snow conditions
jimmer, Are any of your coaches able to act as tutors for Alpine Coach 1 ?
latest report
@rjs, maybe, I have no idea how that would work though, is it possible to do it without attending a course?
snow report
rjs, Good idea, James is a UKCP tutor.

Jimmer be an idea to see if any are running prior to your test.
latest report
jimmer, I was thinking that JJC will basically run through a lot of stuff on the course with you anyway and could maybe spread the classroom stuff out over the time you are there. It is only a 3 day course after all.

Clubs can get a tutor in to run this course for them, it doesn't need to be advertized anywhere for it to count.
snow report
Oh that could be the best way to do it then, thanks for the idea.
ski holidays
So that way doesn't fulfil BASI's criteria, I have to complete a BASI course before I can book the ET and there doesn't seem to be a way around it.
snow conditions
jimmer, That seems rather restrictive to me.

Which courses would count ?
latest report
I think getting your L2 equivalence and then taking the 3 day L1 coach course would be the easiest and cheapest way to do it. I doubt BASI would let you do an ad hoc course as RJS suggests but if there are enough trainees in Sass James potentially could run one properly...

RJS I had trainees who wanted to do the ET but the coaching pathway quals only didnt count you need to be an Alpine member with L2 min. I was told.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jimmer, what about the European Mountain Safety (http://www.basi.org.uk/content/alpine-level-4-ems-training-course.aspx) - is the shortest in 4 days, but the earliest of those doesn't get you done by the Dec Alpe d'Huez ET if that's what you were planning.

In fact having looked through, it seems as though all of the 2014 BASI L3 & L4 alpine courses are full.

You could do a Snowboard L1 http://www.basi.org.uk/content/snowboard-level-1-course.aspx
snow report
Does James do BASI UKCP1's? The one I did with him was through SSE. Probably worth checking that the UKCP1 through BASI would count though.
snow report
skimottaret, It looks to me as if BASI are giving him L2 equivalence plus L3 teach and tech, he wouldn't just have the coaching qualification.
snow conditions
jimmer, Would second language count ?
ski holidays
Yeah snowboard level one looks like the only one available. Just emailed NZSIA, though I doubt they can do much, also IASI. I really don't see why BASI are so restrictive about this.
latest report
rjs wrote:
jimmer, Would second language count ?

HA, maybe, that would be awesome.
snow report
@jimmer, you might have to be careful re the Snowboard as the Hemel one might also not count as it looks as though Hemel are doing it themselves as opposed to BASI running it.

@rjs, but if I understand it, he just needs to do a BASI course, not necessarily one that he actually needs (stupid as that is)
snow conditions
@jimmer, careful as IASI courses would not get you on the ET as they did not sign up for the MoU. Only countries who are part of the MoU group are allowed to enter "Euro" tests. the Irish for instance cant enter.
snow conditions
@skimottaret, ah did not realise that, but they award ISTDs don't they?
ski holidays
You wouldn't have thought this would be so complicated.

Either that or @jimmer's so bloody awkward wink
ski holidays
@jimmer, tricky one... I am IASI myself and was told they have two exits, ISIA test and all other stuff gets you L4 and the ISIA card. If you do the ET you get your ISTD. BUT.... because they refused to sign the MoU as it stands are not allowed to enter candidates to ET's. I entered through BASI.

They are hoping to influence changes to the ET during negotiations but until we have an EU wide agreement we all have to follow the French rules...
latest report
@abd, I just didn't realise that this would be a problem! I was just planning on booking the test when I had everything sorted for training, now it seems like I should have started with booking the test.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy