Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts easily reachable from Zurich?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

So, after a long summer pause, it's time again to consider the incoming season. I sort of jumped the gun a bit, by purchasing tickets to Zurich. The tickets were a fair bargain, the flights have a schedule I like (arrive early, leave late) and I'm really keen on going to Switzerland.

Do you have any nice suggestions for a resort? Obviously, the only criterion is that it's perfect... Very Happy

Seriously though, I would consider these rather important:
- Travelling with kids, so it has to be fairly easy to reach by train or transfer
- Enough cruising blues for the kids.
- Large enough to have variety
- Nice village, picturesque and such.
- Swiss (I know a lot of Tyrol is reachable from Zurich)

So far, I've looked at Davos, Saas Fee and Arosa. It seems to me that Arosa and Saas Fee might be suffering from the need to jump on a ski bus to get variety. Davos seems a bit humongous. I'm really interested in Saas Fee, just because it's car-free and picturesque.

Cheers!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Laax/Flims fits the bill. Flims itself is a reasonably pretty place. Train from airport to Zurich Banhof, another to Chur then Post Bus (which will be waiting at the end of the platform) to resort. There is also a direct transfer bus from the airport. Works out more expensive though as free travel for children makes the train very reasonable. Big area 200km+ http://www.laax.com/en/

I've done Zermatt from Zurich too.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
https://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Zurich.html

Mierren, wengen easily reached by train. Heck, anywhere in CH easily reached by train. Check out the train fares for tourists arriving at airports. Also baggage handling for you.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Western Austria is easy to reach too. We use Zurich to get to Lech - private taxi transfer takes about 2 hours. There's also an express coach service from the airport the St Anton, Lech, Zurs - Google the Arlberg Express.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
At the risk of appearing very picky...

- Laax seems a rather small skiing area, as does Muerren
- Wengen was indeed one of my early candidates, but it seems we would need to change trains at least three times. Not ideal.
- I'm actually entertaining the idea of Zermatt. Fun idea, considering we were in Cervinia last March. I'm just hoping for a transfer of less than three hours, but Zermatt is not off the map.
- As I said, I know a lot of Tyrolean resorts are reachable, but I'm really interested in Swiss resorts now, as I've only been there during border-crossings from Cervinia and Avoriaz.

Argh, I do come across as particularly fussy, don't I? Blush Never mind, I do appreciate the input, so thanks! And keep them coming, pretty please. Smile Smile Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
SkiingDad wrote:
At the risk of appearing very picky...

- Laax seems a rather small skiing area,

if 235km of pistes is small fair enough Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SkiingDad, Laax is a lot bigger than Saas Fee isn't it?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Flims/Laax isn't small.

Thing you need to consider about Saas Fee is the altitude - I've known people struggle with altitude sickness there.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What is wrong with Davos ?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hmm... Seems I have made an unjust comment about Laax. To be honest, I just had a look at the piste map at laax.com and it seemed sort of smallish. I admit, I may be judging a book by its cover, but looking at the map it doesn't really come across as a big area. I missed the part that said 235 km. Ok, I stand corrected and will definitely have another look at Laax. On the map, Saas Fee seemed more connected to the nearby Sass Grund, Saas this and Saas that, and gave me an impression of being a bigger area.

Elizabeth B, I know about altitude sickness, as we felt the effects in Cervinia. Not the most pleasant experience, but shouldn't keep one from going. Thanks for the concern.

rjs, I get the impression that Davos is more of a city and therefore perhaps not as idyllic. Of course, I could be drawing hasty conclusions.

I'm getting a lot of thought-provoking comments here and I do appreciate it!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SkiingDad, Laax definitely doesn't feel like a small area when skiing there. Where have you skied before?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SkiingDad, the Swiss make train changes very easy. Zurich - anywhere with 3 changes is perfectly doable.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SkiingDad, I have only been to Davos out of season but it felt a comparable size to Megeve or Val d'Isere. There is a bit bigger permanent population than most ski resorts but the number of tourist beds evens things out.

Either Davos or Flims/Laax would be the obvious places to go from Zurich for me.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SkiingDad, don't know why you'd get that impression of Davos. Mid sized ski resort. Reasonable ski area. The best pizzas in the world in the restaurant by the train station. Reasonably attractive. Swiss.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Klosters is in the same region as Davos and is far smaller and prettier. My wife and I love the place!
ski holidays
Davos has better pizzas. Than anywhere. Gorgonzola and chorizo. Awesome.
snow report
Obviously I'm going to vote for Flims/Laax since I have a place there and love it. It is - or at least was (not sure how the new Lenzerheide/Arosa link makes that compare) - the largest linked resort entirely in Switzerland. The PdS is larger but crosses the border and is rather a long way from Zurich. Davos has more mileage but it's split into about 5 separate areas that are not linked. Great pizzas in Laax too at the Signina Hotel.
latest report
Good memories - Flims/Laxx was my favourite resort when I worked in Zurich.
snow conditions
SkiingDad, (NOT Swiss......rolling eyes ......) St Anton, easy train from Kloten/Zurich to Arlberg. The kids (and you) would love the skiing, stay in Nasserein or Pettnau, forget the change of country.
latest report
SkiingDad wrote:
It seems to me that Arosa and Saas Fee might be suffering from the need to jump on a ski bus to get variety.

Arosa joined with Lenzerheide last season, so they're now part of one combined area. No need for a bus.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy