Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lots of questions about Niseko/Hokkaido

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

This is my first real post on here, so please go gentle on me.

I am looking to have a once in a lifetime trip to Japan at Christmas 2015. It will be me, my wife and our 2 kids (who by then will be 17 and 19). We are all experienced skiers and like to "play" off piste - by that, I mean that we like to ski off piste in sight of pistes but haven't ever done the full guide, hiking, etc thing. We are all good intermediate skiers (me and wife been skiing for 20+ years and kids since they were old enough to walk). We go to the Alps 2 or 3 times a year as we have access to a place there. Basically, I reckon we are good enough to appreciate the powder!

Niseko has caught my eye because of the snow. Is this a good choice or is it a bit too "discovered"? Where is the best place to stay there? We'd like a bit of Japanese culture when we are there. Is there anywhere else I should be considering?

In terms of skiing there, should we get a guide?

In terms of getting there, we would fly to Tokyo and then I guess to Sapporo. Does that make sense? Any tips?

Any other thoughts? Would you take your own skis or hire there?

Lots of questions so thanks in advance for your help!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Somehow I managed to post this in completely the wrong place! How do I move it?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey, either someone with power can move it...

otherwise just copy it and make a new thread... let this one be lost to the interweb forever wink

Sure someone will be along to delete the left over one at some point
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Niseko is fantastic, highly recommend it. But there are lots of brilliant resorts that surround the Niseko area (Chisenupuri - more of a touring resort, Kiroro, and Rusutsu - my personal favourite) that I'd really recommend going to aswell.

We were based in the Green Leaf hotel in Niseko for the first five days we were there - no complaints about it at all. I'd happily go back there.

Definitely get a guide! We used Black Diamond tours and had a guide called Toshi - absolutely fantastic, will definitely use again when I go back. As Niseko has become a little touristy, the guides took us to places for dinner where the locals go and thus gave us a bit more of an authentic experience, but we had them booked all week with Mountain Tracks.

We flew to Tokyo then to Sapporo and got a transfer to Niseko (2 hours ish). Be prepared for a possible delay in Tokyo to Sapporo as Sapporo was in a snow storm and they had a slight delay in having planes land because of that.

I took my own skis but there are PLENTY of wide skis to hire (they were Armada JJ's predominantly), so it's down to you really.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nickle, been last two Winters and going there this Winter for two months so can hopefully help Smile

The guide question depends.. given your experience you are probably better off getting one to get the most out of the trip. The ski question... I would take your own. If you don't have powder skis you may as well buy a set for a few hundred quid rather than spend a couple hundred quid on hiring a pair out there.

Your kids will probably have a better time if you stayed in Hirafu given the nightlife there but it's very Aussie-central (all of Niseko is really). If you want a more authentic experience you should go to some of the other resorts that Chrisssyg mentioned, Moiwa is another great little spot.

The plan of Tokyo->Sapporo is the best way to get there.

A lot of this stuff depends on how long you're planning on going out there and what your budget looks like
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Is Xmas too early for the legendary powder????
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Niseko is the best base, but it is also definitely 'too discovered.'

+1 for the guides from BD Tours/Lodge - both for Niseko (make sure you get over to Moiwa!!) and the surrounding resorts. Kiroro is also great, and not that far away.

Spend a couple of days in Sapporo, it's totally nuts, especially at night. Also Sapporo Teine is one of the best resorts on Hokkaido.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, more of a guarantee to get it in jan/feb yep but it has happened before.. Think two Winters ago was crazy in December, last Winter was okish for Niseko standards.

clarky999, never been to Teine, what makes it great?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Timmaah, steeper pitches with more vert.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My advice would be – just do it!

I did a 15 day trip based in Niseko last winter and loved it. The snow gods didn’t exactly come to the party as much as I thought they would but I think out of 15 days we had 3 without any new snow. About half of the snow days we had over 15-20cms each day. A couple of days were 30-40cm. Was really hoping for a 60-70 day but it didn’t happen! At the time we were a little annoyed but looking back on it now it was pretty good.

Even though Hirfau is busy and Australian infested I would recommend to stay there (if you go to Niseko) – way more options for food etc etc. The other villages are pretty small and very limited. If don’t have a car then it is also a bit of a pain to get to the other villages if you want to go somewhere else. I would recommend to rent a car for a portion of your trip so you can get to some of the other resorts and go to local places for dinner. Rustusu is a must – awesome tree skiing and very quiet compare to Niseko. Mowia is also worth a day (pretty much all off piste there). We didn’t get to other nearby places as the conditions were better at Niseko. Car rental is good from Niseko auto rental – book early as they book out FAST. We booked in October and got the last car/Van they had for the time we were there (mid to end of Jan).

Niseko can be hit by the wind quite a bit – I think 4 days we were restricted to low down as the top lifts were closed. Good if you are over Annupuri way as not many people can get over. Not so good if you are stuck in Hirafu as it gets dam busy. Vis can be pretty marginal at the best of the times (comes and goes however) so we spent a lot of time in the trees. We actually had 2 bluebirds which is was unusual!

Lots of opportunity to hike and explore outside of the gates – just make sure you have the right gear. There were a lot of choppers out there with no idea.

Can’t really comment on the on piste skiing as I didn’t really do much of it. Off piste was great. Snow was generally very good but we did have a couple of days of heavy stuff as the mercury got towards 0 (after being -15).

Long and short of it – would I go again. Yes I would. Should you go. Yes you should!

BTW – take powder cords and use them. I lost my ski in thigh deep pow on the last day (1.5 hours of digging and still couldn’t find it). The only day I wasn’t wearing my cords! Too stupid to put them on while racing for the fresh out of gate 5!

Also – if you can fly on Japan airline as you are allowed 2 bags hold bags each! Which means you can take all your ski gear and ski (2 pairs is best) and not have to worry about weight limits. Best to fly UK to Sapporo via Tokyo. Other airlines only allow one hold bag so it can be a mission to get everything below 23kg, esp if you have two sets of skis.

You will have a great time

Cheers
Brent
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy