Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hotel Petit Prince and Chalet Pere Joseph 1 & 2 Alpe D'Huez

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone been to either of these?

Never been to Alpe D'Huez before so just looking for any feedback on these two places- mainly location I suppose but also any other info that may be helpful.

As we're looking to do a package these were the 2 main ones that came up within our budget (not wanting self catering)

Hoping to go first week in Jan- will just be keeping an eye on the Crystal website over the next few months for when they hopefully have slightly reduced prices- or trying to hold our nerve and book something late December- have failed to do that so far and always end up booking Laughing

It's still August and I have a summer holiday to come in a week but the mind is on skiing already! Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I stayed at one of the Pere Josephs a few years back. It's in the "old town" of ADH. Not right at the centre of the action IIRC, but there is a weird lobster pot lift which takes you up to one of the main ski school meeting places/lift centres and a chair which takes you to the other. So not ski in ski out but you don't have to do much walking in ski boots or taking busses to go skiing. Quite handily placed for some apres (Underground bar is nearby for example) and not a long walk to the skating rink and other restaurants, bars etc
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We stayed at the Petit Prince last January, very pleased overall.

We had quite a small room with a balcony, but there were problems with the heating so they ended up moving us to a 5 bedded room - huge - with a view down into the valley. Staff were great through all of this, by the way. All very young and very Swedish!

Food was excellent - some courses were quite miniscule, but the presentation and taste were fab. It was a set menu every night, and that day's menu was posted on a chalkboard outrside the restaurant at some point throughout the day. If you had any allergies, etc, the staff would gladly rustly up something else for you. Breakfast was a huge buffet affair, plenty to choose from both hot and cold.

Bar was reasonably priced on a par with the town. Happy hour changed every day - cocktails on offer one night, wine by the bottel next, and so on, but you could always get 2 beers or 2 wines for 7 euros (IIRC) between 5pm and 7pm, I think it was.

The ski bus stops right outside to take you to the lobster pots - one stop I think - which then link you up to the main ski school areas and gondola in the centre. Or, there's a short run just below the hotel to the Grande Sure 2 man chair, this takes you to the top of the Signal runs, if you look on the piste map - should also give you an idea of where the hotel is located.

Took maybe 5 to 10 minutes to walk to where you could find bars and restaurants.

Hope this helps, I'd stay again that's for sure.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for info folks, so Chalet Pere Joseph sounds better location wise but Petit Prince sounds great for food and happy hours (also important for us!) Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I beleive I've stayed in the Hotel Petit Prince before it was taken over by the Scandanavian company (>10 years ago rolling eyes) But the location shouldn't have changed.

There is a lift just below the hotel - A bit off piste - but not a problem really. At the days end, you can ski to the end of the road and walk back a hundred yards or so. I think the lobster pots were a few minutes walk away.

Quite a quiet area with stunning views over the valley while sitting on the sun deck having an end of day beer.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We (two families) stayed at Chalet Pere Joseph and thoroughly enjoyed it. No issues on location at all. We used the lobster pots at the start of the day but iirc, we could ski back quite close.

I wouldn't base your decision on the quality of the food as there will be different chalet hosts each season. We had a great host who was a good cook, but I pitied the people in the adjoining chalet as their host was young and inexperienced.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My first ski hol was to the Petit Prince. We really enjoyed it.

Short walk to the lobster pots and a short walk at the end of the day if you take the narrow run that goes through the middle of town.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've stayed at chalet pere Joseph and found the location pretty handy the lobster pot lift albeit slow gets you to a central position for all lifts pretty much to any were in the area.We found that first thing get the scare chair over to auris and ski there as most people and schools converge on the main lifts on the main area early on and the extremities of the area were very quiet.You can ski nearly all the way back to the chalet if you do your last run from Signal.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My husband is staying in the Petit Prince from tomorrow for 7 nights, will keep you allposted on his thoughts
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@warbis66, this thread is a year old.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@warbis66, Interesting to hear feedback on it though! Never made it there this year as went elsewhere for our Jan trip. Still Hope to do Alpe D'Huez at some point
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy