Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Level 1

Poster: A snowHead
Hello there, hope I'm posting this in the correct place. It's been a while.

I have signed up for my BASI level 1 in October and I have a question. I've been told I need to undertake a first aid course prior to doing this course. Does anybody have any more information regarding this? I have looked at the website and I'm not sure if I am just being a complete idiot or if there's actually nothing on there about it.

Also something about a disclosure.

If anyone could clue me up on what I have to do for level one that would be sublime. I'm a bit all over the place at the moment.

Thanks

Stuart
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You don't need to do a 1st aid course before you attend the Level 1 week, but you will need to complete a 2-day activity 1st aid course before BASI issues you with your L1 licence. You will also need to complete a Criminal Records check, an online child protection course and 35 hours of ski school experience/shadowing. None of these need to be done before you do the L1 week, but will need to be done before your L1 licence is issued. A quick call to the BASI office will answer any detailed questions you have about L1 requirements.

Where are you based? A few companies to 1st Aid courses with a particular slant to skiing: including BASP and World Class Training, so you could check those to see if there is a convenient date and venue.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Rob, thanks very much for replying so quickly. I had absolutely no idea I'd have to do 35 hours of shadowing haha! I'll need to figure that one out. I am based in Glasgow and having to, unfortunately, do mine at Snow Factor. Hopefully get somewhere a bit more exotic for my level 2!

Cheers.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
if you get organised, you could probably get your shadowing hours done and get on a Basi 2 course this season....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You can do your first aid course either before or after doing the L1 course. I just passed my L1 and was booked onto a BASP course at Hemel next month but they have kindly agreed to move it since I have broken my leg...

No reason not to send off for your criminal record disclose ahead of time. You'll probably need that before you can do any shadowing.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
yep you can do the online child safety module too before your practical course, so in theory you could do the shadowing straight away and get 70 hours in to get level 2
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So 70 hours for a BASI 2? My main issue will be money as I am on poverty wages at the moment. Would be nice to get on the second course if I could. I'm 28 and already having an early mid life crisis regarding my career haha.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You need your full L1 and another 35 hours before booking onto L2. If you're lucky, you can do 35 hours shadowing to get the L1, then 35 hours paid. Speak to someone at Snow Factor; I know at Hemel they're very helpful with advice about shadowing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
you need to do 35 hours to get basi 1, and then another 35 before you can enrol for level 2.... the shadowing won't cost you anything as centres generally let you do it foc

i am doing level 2 in december, 2 week course.... accommodation £800, course £500 i think; and then lift pass travel to the alps...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Maireadoconnor, how do you get 35 hours paid? for the 2nd set of 35 hours? i.e. if its shadowing? hemel is where i am doing it... you can also do a few of the hours at skiplex
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ajc2260626, in principle you can get a job as an instructor once you have your L1. So that 35 hours could be from paid lessons, if you're lucky.

I'm afraid I don't have first hand knowledge yet. I passed my L1 two weeks ago and was all set to start my shadowing at Hemel, when I broke my leg on Sunday. I got over-enthusiastic with the moguls and twisted when I fell. Spiral tibial fracture; ten weeks in plaster. Yay.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They did catch a few out at Hemel. I was in them and didnt stay in them long! Hope you recover quick and back skiing soon. The snow was great today!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Maireadoconnor, oh no .... sorry to hear that and you skied so well on Saturday Sad Sad Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the advice guys. A massive help. Will see how it goes. Not sure I have £2k to drop on a level 2 but can't hurt to get the hours in can it? snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Maireadoconnor, ahh, bad news! Spiral Tib is a classic skiing injury, sadly Sad
snow report
Maireadoconnor, Spiral tib - you have the ignominy of sustaining a snowblader's injury wink

Bonus is you're at least 90 days out from the season and will robably end up with stronger knees going in by the tie you've done your gym rehab. Heal up.
latest report
Thanks guys! At least it was the tib rather than the knee. It should heal fine and won't be any weaker in the long term. I avoided having to have any metalwork put in, which is a relief. Just a full leg cast, for 8-10 weeks!

I chose the purple cast to match my Whitedot Directors Laughing
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
... You will also need to complete a Criminal Records check, an online child protection course and 35 hours of ski school experience/shadowing. ...

You don't need to **attend** a child protection course? I though L1 L2 etc in any sport was supposed to standardise things, we have to **attend** the course even for L1 (waste of time though, simply a money making exercise)
snow conditions
Maireadoconnor, Sorry to hear that...
I have a tib nail and fib plate from a spiral fracture waterskiing. You can walk on the nail in a week or so and basically back to normal in eight (or so). I have no idea why you should want to avoid metalwork, in every conceivable way, it's better than a cast as far as healing is concerned, the only downside is maybe you would have to get the bottom pin taken out at some point. I will, hopefully before snow skiing again.
With a nail you don't have to do any special exercise or anything like that as you don't actually stop using it for any length of time

I'd assume the fracture wasn't bad enough to warrant a nail - if you're gonna break a leg, do it properly!! (;>)

This is after the second attempt to set the bones - I can't bear to see the first

snow report
allanm, wow, i never saw my X-rays, but i don't think mine is nearly as bad as that. Fib is fine. Tib is very cleanly aligned. My ortho's advice was to avoid surgery if you've got the option. Sure, it takes longer to get moving, but there's lower risk of complications. I may still end up with pins when they check it again in a week. We'll see.
ski holidays
^^ They do know what they're doing, at least at the point where it's critical.
You're right on complications too, I forgot about that, they were worried about 'compartment syndrome' with me after the Op, which apparently isn't very nice (;>)

Take care, hope it all heals well and soon!
snow report
Maireadoconnor, oh you must get hold of your xray...its almost obligitory to post it!
snow report
Maireadoconnor wrote:
ajc2260626, in principle you can get a job as an instructor once you have your L1. So that 35 hours could be from paid lessons, if you're lucky.

I'm afraid I don't have first hand knowledge yet. I passed my L1 two weeks ago and was all set to start my shadowing at Hemel, when I broke my leg on Sunday. I got over-enthusiastic with the moguls and twisted when I fell. Spiral tibial fracture; ten weeks in plaster. Yay.

Ouchies. Hope you heal OK and then get back into it. I was there and wondered who was being taken off. I played first thing with my Academy kids; then spent the rest of the day on the training slope.
ski holidays
allanm, yep, they watched me for a while to check for compartment syndrome but I seemed ok.

holidayloverxx, I know! I'll try to get them when i go for a checkup next week.

scooby_simon, that will have been me. If you see Brian the snowboarder please thank him from me. He was brilliant. Greg the manager, too. He was the one who removed my ski boot. I think I might have passed out then!

RosigLOL, sorry for hijacking your thread...
snow report
Maireadoconnor, wishing you a speedy recovery
latest report
Maireadoconnor, best wishes for a speedy recovery Smile
ski holidays
Managed to pass the teaching/ technical part of my level 1. Thanks for the advice. Now to find a first aid course and those elusive 35 hours...
ski holidays
RosigLOL, Congratulations snowHead Very well done! Where are you based? Probably a few on here who can suggest some first aid courses for you.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think you can still get certified courses with the British Red Cross, check their website...oh and well done.
ski holidays
RosigLOL wrote:
Managed to pass the teaching/ technical part of my level 1. Thanks for the advice. Now to find a first aid course and those elusive 35 hours...

BASP do them all over the place

http://www.basp.org.uk/basp_course/EM2/
latest report
Thanks again for the advice. I'm based in Glasgow at the moment. Hadn't considered quite how much getting level one was going to cost me... £105 for a first aid course is making my eyes water!
snow conditions
That's very reasonable to be honest for 2 full days of quality training. My daughter did it a couple of years ago in Hemel. If you're in Glasgow I would have thought that getting your shadowing in at Braehead would have been fairly easy. It took my daughter most of the next winter getting a few hours at a time at our nearest dryslope during her 1st year of A levels. Don't forget there's the criminal check and CBT too, more expense. It's certainly not cheap.
latest report
RosigLOL wrote:
£105 for a first aid course is making my eyes water!

And you need to repeat it every three years.
ski holidays
Haha! Perfect! It's £105 and it's in Drymen... Which apparently has a Glasgow postcode... It's a fair whack from Glasgow!
latest report
RosigLOL wrote:

Just revalidated my First Aid at Work Cert at a cost of £240. A least it is tax deductible Very Happy
snow report
stewart woodward wrote:
RosigLOL wrote:

Just revalidated my First Aid at Work Cert at a cost of £240. A least it is tax deductible Very Happy

Every cloud and all that... Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy