Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts within striking distance of Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
mishmash, I keep forgetting about Verbier.

It's a little more expensive although I don't think it needs to be esp. if you don't need to stay in Verbs itself. The tougher off piste is arguably more accessible than some of Chamonix. And there are a few itineraries that are more or less controlled in more American style.

yad, you actually, although you'd just get a taster of both, ski both Chamonix and Verbier if your accommodation doesn't lock you in to Saturday-Saturday dates. Start in one, then midweek (and you don't even need to lose a ski day) take the train across to the other.

Coming all that way, that's what I'd consider.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
under a new name wrote:
Spoiler we are about to go totally off piste Happy

Insiders, actually... just to straighten out your facts:

The Morzine-Les Gets lift pass does not cover Super Morzine. The Avoriaz one does. So very much yes, Avoriaz "claims" Super Morzine and to an extent Les Gets "claims" Pleney. Or, Pleney "claims" Les Gets.

Lindarets doesn't separate anything as the Avoriaz boundary runs along that ridge.

"You'd have to BE in Chatel to ski from Linga" is not in fact "simples", but simply makes no sense. We frequently ski Linga... from Avoriaz.

Avoriaz doesn't have a mayor as it doesn't have a large enough resident population to justify one. Actually, some years it does and a few years ago there was a campaign for it to split from Morzine and have it's own administration but the campaign failed. Not entirely sure why (I wasn't sufficiently interested to pay attention).

It was built not by any powers that be (who are they then?) but by French playboy Gerard Bremont (who founded Pierre et Vacances) at the request of local golden boy Jean Vuarnet who had been asked by Morzine to develop the ski area. Purely as a commercial venture and built on land that was in the Morzine commune.

Chatel may well not have the same reputation today as Morzine or Avoriaz, but it was of similar reputation in 1989 or so. If that's changed now, whose fault might it be? Anyway I am far from convinced that it's less well known. Why don't you provide something to back that up - like winter visitor stats?

No 1, You ski to Linga (which is in Chatel) from Avoriaz, doesn't mean you are still in skiing Avoriaz, it means you've skied to Chatel... really! can't believe I have to explain that!!

No 2, so, Avoriaz doesn't have a Mayor and is run by the Morzine administration - the reason the campaign probably failed is a simple fact of taxes and ability to support itself independent of Morzine, It most likely couldn't, so the campaign most likely failed due to those reasons - simple economics.

No3, I don't really care about names who actually built Avoriaz, the fact it is, it is a relatively new purpose built resort development (not an actual town) in terms of the fact that Morzine has exsisted there for hundreds of years, Avoriaz, a purpose built resort has only been there 60 odd - and would have still had to go through planning regs to get approval - from who? the powers who were in charge at the time...

No 4, it's not about 'fault' about whos reputation is higher/lower, just that it quite simply is, and it doesn't help matters when people like you insist on misinforming people about who Linga belongs to

No 5, According to your logic, if I can ski to Pleney from Lets Gets it must BELONG to Lets Gets not Morzine!! in your words 'Notwithstanding the lift pass' by your simple logic of access!

No 6, I didn't mean Linderets physically seperates, as in the linear border... I meant like an actual thing you have to ski through to access a different area - should have explained that better - my bad. BUT, Linga still belongs to Chatel so nyer nyer nyer nyer nyer

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 28-08-14 15:38; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mishmash, Verbier recommended at post number 6 Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Linga still belongs to Chatel so nyer nyer nyer nyer nyer

Laughing Laughing Laughing You certainly have a quaint way of marketing Chatel to visitors from afar. Do all the Chatelois have such large chips on their shoulders?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Insiders, your chat's getting pretty big... anyway it's a bit tl:dr

I'm still winning Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
you keep trying to convince yourself of that fact... lol.... I do enjoy our disagreements UANN Skullie

my chat can get as big as it likes... I happen to be of the female gender...

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 28-08-14 19:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Linga still belongs to Chatel so nyer nyer nyer nyer nyer

Laughing Laughing Laughing You certainly have a quaint way of marketing Chatel to visitors from afar. Do all the Chatelois have such large chips on their shoulders?

No, we all have large Pomme Frites on our Berets
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
halfhand wrote:
mishmash, Verbier recommended at post number 6 Toofy Grin

Ooops sorry missed it amongst all the other PDS rivalry going on! I recommend you go as well then! Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Love the chatter, a lively board is a happy board.

I good friend who is a professional skier (how many folks have that on their business cards?) has come down heavy for Zermatt and Chamonix, but she usually has someone else paying her way. Smile I'm following up with many of your suggestions and looking at ski maps. My wife and I need to discuss exactly what we're looking for in a ski town. I'll be back with more questions shortly.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
yad, very cool business card that would be. Did she say why Zermatt was such a winner?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think she just loves it there. But she was just in Chamonix with Warren Miller so that is fresh in her mind. She's headed to Geneva next week so I'll pick her brain when she gets back.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
yad, ok, that I can imagine. I have a slight suspicion that there will be a bit of a pro bias - not intentionally - but I suspect what her crew are looking for may not be what you look for so a little interpretation will be required Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
She's a good friend and we ski together enough that she knows what I like. Not that I can keep up Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy