Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kaprun in November

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone been to Kaprun in November? I cam across a holiday on singlesport.com and was wandering what the conditions would be like. Holiday company assure me it will be fine but then they would, so looking for some impartial advice. Thanks. Although I would maybe book independently as would be a lot cheaper.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's a glacier, so its unlikely that you wouldn't have any skiing. Beyond that it's hard to say much.....conditions vary from year to year.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Been many times to Kaprun in late Oct / Nov. Conditions experienced included - little snow & brown bare patches, high winds, whiteouts and sunny powder days.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Expect the Kitzsteinhorn to be very, very cold and windy and huge queues in the morning
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
speachmaus, does it have to be November?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
like most glaciers, I guess. The last couple of years I've spent 3 days on the Tignes glacier we've lost one complete day to high winds each time.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm just trying to fit in a week before the usual psb and usual ski trips
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh right. I think as long as you know what to expect you should be fine. I haven't stayed in Kaprun itself but driving through it, it looks like a lovely village. And if you do lose a day, you can always go to the therme
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
moseyp wrote:
Expect the Kitzsteinhorn to be very, very cold and windy and huge queues in the morning

Huge queues in November and how cold do you mean with "very, very cold" ?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB, Very very cold means like -15 and wind making it feel like -25. My experience. Not huge fun when standing in a queue for half an hour between runs!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Huge queues in November and how cold do you mean with "very, very cold" ?

What temperature? I can't really remember, last time I was there was end of Nov/start Dec and it was about -10 to -15 I think but it was the windchill that was the worst.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Agree with the strong winds but never experienced long queues at Kaprun in Oct / Nov. The only slight queue was at the main lifts down in the valley where temps were often positive. Up on the glacier there were no queues at all (although high winds on a T-bar aren't too comfortable either - take something that protects your face).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB, First thing in the morning it's mahem, maybe if you're going up a bit later it wouldn't be so bad?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB, it's been a long time since I've been in Kaprun... probably 15 years, so maybe things have improved.
The same thing used to apply to Hintertux, but with the introduction of the amazing gondola up Gefrorene Wand the queues have got a lot better there.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 25-08-14 12:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Steilhang, it's not that it's a poor lift system, it's just very busy at that time of year with race training
snow conditions
I've been skiing on Kitzsteinhorn in November quite a few times. The base lift can be busy so either get there early or late. Don't remember it being that cold (other than the fact you're at the top of a mountain on a glacier in November). That said it can get windy up there and the weather can close in. Snow and how much is open will obviously depend on recent conditions. It's good for a weekend. I'd stay in Zell am See, rent a car and tour round to Hintertux and Stubai.
snow conditions
Steilhang wrote:
DB, it's been a long time since I've been in Kaprun... probably 15 years, so maybe things have improved.
The same thing used to apply to Hintertux, but with the introduction of the amazing gondola up Gefrorene Wand the queues have got a lot better there.

I went on an annual basis from early 2000's to 2008 but not been back at that time of year since. Once they put in the new lifts (Gletscherjet 1 & 2) that replaced the burnt out train, the queues in the valley were greatly reduced.

Was anybody there in the last few years during Nov/Dec - how were the queues? How do they compare to lift queues at Hintertux during the same time of year?
latest report
when you go for one week you could do some perfect skiing from monday to friday

If you will go Sat-Sun then queues are somehting usuall....furthermore If you are in Sat-Sun and the weather is sunny, then forget it.
You are not able to ski...mostly you wait in a queu, and on the slopes you are trying to avoid the people who are 2 m. away from you....

All the glaciers in Austria are so...

However i love skiing those days...for me its the best time of the year.

Dont book accommodation until last minute. You will find something.
Book fligt to Innsbruck or Salzburg and you will decide where to go the last week depending on snow conditions.
You could find a place to sleep in Imst (so you can visiti Pitztal, Kaunertal, Sölden), or Innsbruck for Stubai or Hintertux or near Kaprun....or find a place to sleep in the villages near the Glacier (e.g. Sölden)
snow conditions
It can be bad both at the base station and up on the glacier. The Kitzsteinhorn is a big favourite with Czech, Polish and other eastern European nations. Avoiding their National holidays is key. Getting up there early is the best idea and/or skiing mid-week and doing something else at the weekends. I was up there a couple of seasons back on the first weekend of our season passes and it was rammed with Czechs and Poles. Went up for my birthday (a Tuesday in mid October) and it was gloriously empty.
snow conditions
Yep when I said "it's good for a weekend" I didn't really mean that as a recommendation to go at the weekend, rather that I would want to spreads wings a bit after two days.
latest report
They try to put on events almost every weekend - I've received a notification about a 3-day event starting 7th November. It is a huge marketing effort to get people up there every weekend. Mid-week is always quieter

https://www.facebook.com/kitzsteinhorn/timeline
latest report
speachmaus Over the past 20+ years we've skied virtually all of the main European glaciers in October/November. We've always had enough snow for a decent ski, though on two occasions snow has been a bit lacking in early Nov (once was at Tignes, the other time at Stubai). At other times we've had powder with snow down to Austrian base station/valley levels (1400-1500m) and full-on winter conditions. Fortunately, we've only ever lost one day due to weather - again in Tignes. As ever with the weather/snow, it's a bit of a lottery but on one early November trip we were fortunate that Obergurgl (non-glacier area) had just opened for the season.

There are currently cheap flights available for November - we've just booked with easyjet to Munich for £65 each for 3 days early Nov skiing Very Happy and are aiming for Stubai and Hintertux. If you are flexible and not stuck with Kaprun, I'd suggest either of those glaciers, as they are a bit more extensive. Then again, anywher is good for an early season slide and, if you have a car, a few glaciers can be combined on a road trip - Austria has quite a few to pick from.

On a further positive note, accommodation is plentiful easy to come by out of season - you can just turn up and find a room by door knocking.
ski holidays
I've never skied/boarded Kaprun yet,but am heading there in a little over 6 weeks for an instructors course so will be able to provide some info as to conditions when I'm out there.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy