Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on a first pair of touring boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

Would appreciate some advice on buying my first pair of touring boots. Snow and Rock have a great price on BD Factor 130s (£220), and also a pretty good price on Maestrales (£350 ish).

The boots will be used more for touring than much piste/resort time, as I will (I think) always have my alpine boots to wear in resort. This makes me swing towards coughing up the extra for the Maestrales and taking the ~1kg weight saving. I get the impression the Scarpas will ski exceptionally well for their weight so there's not really a compromise there.

Has anybody done hut to hut tours in Factors or similar 4kg/pair boots? Or will I just regret not paying the extra? Also I'm kind of thinking that to get last seasons bargains I don't want to wait too long or my size may disappear.

Sorry for the slightly circular route in the post but I'm going round and round myself at the moment...!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
plenty of boot experts on here but have you checked out wildsnow reviews (quite good on backcountry kit IMO) and is the fit of both boot brands equally good for you?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd have thought that the massive rang of motion in the walk mode of the Scarpas would make hut to hut trips much more comfortable. Might be worth looking for the Maestrale RS though; they're quite a bit stiffer.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
clarky999 wrote:
I'd have thought that the massive rang of motion in the walk mode of the Scarpas would make hut to hut trips much more comfortable. Might be worth looking for the Maestrale RS though; they're quite a bit stiffer.

also, if you're going to be doing much walking (eg up a track to the snowline) or scrambling, I'd choose Maestrales every time

That said, make sure whatever you choose fits you properly. The best boot on paper for what you do isn't much good if it turns your foot into a hamburger because it rubs in all the wrong places
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah I think I'll go and try the Maestrales - they also have the option of going with pin bindings which I can't afford right now but hopefully will at some point! Always nice to know that other people have a similar conclusion - unless we're all wrong!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
cdavies92,

Quote:

unless we're all wrong!

It's ok buddy, I am always right and can confirm the scarpas will beat the BDs hands down.... if they fit obviously wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have both factors and maestrals. They are very different boots. The factors stiff and heavy, the maestrals light and stiff enough, I have the RSs which I would recommend highly.
Two things to ponder, the maestrals feel flimsy, having said that I've done 60 days with no issues, secondly they have a high arch make sure it fits. Things not to ponder, the price, a badly fitting boot is worth less than nothing.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One thing I learnt, next time I will drop a shell size after a second boot fitter said that I had been fitted with a shell size to large which contributed to my heel blisters.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I confess I've still not got around to buying touring boots, but I've stomped around in a few in a shop and done some research. The Factors would be great if you're plan was mainly going down with the odd skin up to get to nice powder. For doing lots of up they would be heavy, and for doing any kind of hiking or scrambling I think they'd be way too unwieldy. You probably could do hut to hut in them, I'm not sure you'd want to.

It sounds like you want a proper touring boot as opposed to a "slack country" boot. I'm not having a go at the Factors, I think they are a great idea and are probably what I would go for, I'm more interested in ski performance than hiking. (I actually went with regular, albeit very light DH boots (Full Tilts Classics), and I plan to get them "Sethed" next time I'm in Chamonix. They are not a touring boot at all but I can go up hill for an hour or so with no problem, any more than that and I'd probably get nasty blisters). For hut to hut you'd be better of saving the pounds (in both senses) and getting a lighter touring boot, IMHO.

Do not go for a boot based only on cost though, you really have to try a few on and make sure they suit your feet. Scarpa boots have crippled me in the past (although I'm talking about mountaineering rather than skiing, but jbob's comments about a high arch ring a bell), if you can get to a shop that specializes in touring in a resort you might get better advice. Ski Bartlett in West London also have a good range.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
cdavies92, I had 2 pairs of BD Factor 130's for last 3-4 seasons and last season was advised to have a serious look at Dynafit Mercury's, and they are seriously worth a punt. I bought them and they are so much better than the 130 Factors which are heavy and more piste oriented than a proper touring boot. The Mercurys are so positive, bigger toe box, better heel retention, better walk mode, lighter and an all round better boot. I ski 80/20 off/ on piste now and I found the hiking/ skinning last season a real pleasure in the Mercury's. Take a look you'll not be disappointed.

Clamp them into a Dynafit Beast binding and you've got a brilliant solution, rock solid under foot.

Talk to Jon at Piste Office Spyderjon if you want his second opinion...........
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Markymark29, that's precisely what I do too. Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

The Mercury (110 flex) or the Vulcan (130 flex) are superb as is the Maestrale RS & the Cochise Pro Lite. Get what fits best but the notched toe inserts are a real plus IMO so in addition to Dynafit boots only Scarpa's have 'em as it's a Dynafit licenced part & they're the only make to have done a deal.

The ankle strap/buckle on the Mercury/Vulcan/RS is really well positioned being mounted off the cuff rivets/pivot point so it does a great job in holding your foot back in the boot when skinning even with the cuff strap/buckles undone - which means that you can have a shorter shell gap for a better fit/performance but still not worry about toe bang when skinning or kicking steps. My Mercury's shell gap is about 15/16mm & I've had no issues at all.

And yes, the weight saving versus the Factors is well worth it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

also, if you're going to be doing much walking (eg up a track to the snowline) or scrambling, I'd choose Maestrales every time

That said, make sure whatever you choose fits you properly. The best boot on paper for what you do isn't much good if it turns your foot into a hamburger because it rubs in all the wrong places

I second that. I love my RS's but despite coming from Spirits (which have an even more extreme arch), the Maestrale RS's did nearly cripple me the first couple of times out, curtailing a tour in perfect conditions a couple of seasons ago. No rubbing or squeezing, the shell fit was perfect and in walkabout mode, everything was fine but the underside of each foot was being speared by a thousand sharp and fiery needles after 1/2 hour of actual skiing. All was remedied when I stuffed in old, hard plastic orthotics that had been bought years earlier for running trainers.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy