Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier March 2015

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

It may be the heart of summer, but I'm dreaming of the slopes. Having thus far fastidiously avoided skiing in France, we thought next year would be the time to sample it for the first time.

I'm pretty fixed on Serre Chevalier for our mid-March ski trip, but needed some advice about where to stay.

Our biggest dilemma is about which village to stay in. Although village ambience is important (quiet and traditional for us - not into wild nightlife), access to and from the slopes is probably a bigger concern. To this end, I had presumed Chantemerle or Villeneuve would be preferable as they are in the centre of the ski area. However, it seems Monetier's slopes are quieter and will be less chopped up at the end of the day. We are comfortable on most reds and easier blacks, but don't like it too mogully. Hence, would it be better to stay in Monetier? What's the access like to the heart of the ski area, and how often does the link close? Is skiing over to the Briancon side and back in a day achievable?

In terms of accommodation options, we would prefer a hotel stay. I had liked the look of the Charlotte in Monetier and Rock Noir in Villeneuve, but am more than open to other suggestions.

Finally, I know the NewGen school gets rave reviews, but we'd thought of taking private lessons with Darren Turner of Insight ski, mainly because we liked his app, and would know it's him taking the lessons.

Apologies for the long and rambling post and multiple queries. Any opinions or suggestions on any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

Suggul
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
suggul, Hells Bells is the sH expert on all things Serre Che - give her a day or two to respond and if she doesn't suggest send a Private Message to her.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have spent a week in Serre Chevalier. We stayed at the Hotel Plein Sud in Chantemerle, which I can honestly say was the best week of ski eating we have ever had - the food is simply superb. We loved checking out the evening menu as we headed out for a day on the slopes. The village is nice and quiet and the hotel is a couple of minutes walk from the lift.

We had some private lessons with Darren Turner - he is an excellent instructor and would be reason enough for us to go back to Serre Che (if I wasn't so in love with the Tarentaise).

I can't really comment on the skiing in Serre Che as you are more advanced than I, but I've never really heard any complaints from more competent skiers.

It's a great place for a holiday.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
suggul, If it is village ambience you are after, the choice of the Chalet Charlotte in Monetier would be a good one. You have the church next door, the village square nearby and you're staying in a 16th century monastery. It has recently been refurbished too. The link to the main area is not a problem. Occasional wind and avalanche closures, but easy enough to hop on the bus (which leaves from the Charlotte's front door) and go along to Villeneuve if you have to. Serre Chevalier is not noted for its moguls, all can be avoided if necessary.
New Generation are based in Monetier and Gavin is an excellent instructor (also a BASI trainer), as is Simone, an Italian guy who has worked there for the last 3 seasons, Gavin also comes on snowHeads bashes as an instructor too.
Can't comment on Insight Ski and Darren as I haven't used him for lessons, why would I with Gavin on my doorstep.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks a lot for the quick replies guys. Chalet Charlotte is working out £180 cheaper all-in through Ski Miquel than Rock Noir, so I'm inclined to favour that. I've just also seen Maison du Bez as an accommodation option. Adding in flights and transfers it's coming to about £30 more than Chalet Charlotte for the week. Hells Bells, how does Maison du Bez compare to Chalet Charlotte, and does Le Bez have the same sort of character as Monetier?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Maison du Bez is closer to the slopes (almost ski in ski out), than the Charlotte and is in a very quiet rustic village with a few restaurants and a bar in the grand Aigle hotel which may be open to non residents. The Charlotte is in the center of Monetier and is a 10/15 minute walk downhill to the lifts, but there is a village navette to get you there if you don't fancy the walk. It is easily possible to get from Monetier to Briancon and back even starting about 10 a.m.
Briancon old town is a must see.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pistemeister, Grand Aigle is no more, and I think may be the Rock Noir. Can't comment on Hotel du Bez I've no experience of it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hells Bells, Are you sure about the grand Aigle? There seem to have been people staying there last week according to trip advisor. It was converted to a "boutique" hotel last year. Le roc noir is near the aravet lift and maison du Bez is near Le cavaillou restaurant.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pistemeister, oops sorry, I had confused the two Embarassed
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi Guy's, just joined the forum Very Happy

Our group is also heading to the Charlotte end of Feb next year. Can't wait obviously.... Only thing I've noticed staying in the Monetier area is there appears to be only a Red/Black (Cucumelle) run to get across to Villeneuve/other areas etc... is this correct?
Will be having lessons again as I've skied only once before in Passo Tonale, managed all blues & "some reds" by the end of the week but I'm still at the stage of needing space to make turns etc... Don't really fancy catching buses all the time so just wanted to know if it's a really steep/not very wide slope etc Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spike107, Cucumelle is a wide and beautiful red run. The first section is a little steeper and can get a little chopped up, but for the most part is is not difficult.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hells Bells wrote:
Spike107, Cucumelle is a wide and beautiful red run. The first section is a little steeper and can get a little chopped up, but for the most part is is not difficult.

Thanks for the quick reply Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Also, the new(ish) lift on the way back has made that part of the leg somewhat easier too snowHead

As Hells Bells says, it is very wide and generally fairly straightforward if you traverse the slope, using the full width of the piste. Its a great run Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
suggul,
I've stayed in chalet Charlotte in Monetier, with ski miquel. It's excellent.

In regard to the walk down to the lifts, all your kit can be stored in the locker room immediately
adjacent to lift station. So no carrying skis/poles, walking in ski boots needed.

Spike,
Cucumelle is a lovely wide piste, you will be fine

Highly recommend Serre Chevalier. The only downside was the 8 hour coach transfer due to
bad weather.

Cheers, Geoff.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just seen your post suggul. Have you booked yet? If not, we've had two great trips to Briancon, staying in a nice little hotel (whose name escapes me at the moment**) about 5 mins walk from the gondola. The ski area is brilliant and probably under rated on the UK ski scene.

In case you don't know, Briancon has a hilltop, walled old town that is absolutely gorgeous - full of character and lovely for strolling round. Some nice looking restaurants too. And we found prices a fair bit cheaper than the usual French mega resorts. The skiing is great from Briancon and, for a bit of a different day out, we also had fun getting the (free) bus to the far end of the ski area and skiing back.

**Will update later: Edit: 'Hotel Vauban' - Great value 3*.
snow conditions
Hi mountainaddict. Thanks for the input. Hadn't really considered Briancon. I had read somewhere the home runs get a bit slushy in the afternoon, and as I am headed over in mid-March, that may be an issue. Are you able to comment on the snow quality and the on-piste links with the rest of the area? I'd much prefer to stay on the slopes than taking buses.

I haven't booked yet. Really torn between the Charlotte and Maison du Bez. They're coming to a very similar price half-board. Maison du Bez has the advantage of being ski-in/ski-out and Le Bez is more in the middle of the ski area. However, Monetier seems to have more of a village ambience and I've read the home runs are probably the least crowded and hold the snow the best. Is anyone able to compare the 2 places and help me make up my mind!
snow report
suggul, slush can be a factor for the bottom Briancon slopes in March,equally, the snow may be great, but you can get the gondola from the Briancon mid-station if it is a real problem. Nowhere in Serre Chevalier is inconvenient, even if it isn't ski in ski out, and TBH, very little is, although much of it is very close to the lifts. The piste back to Le Bez can be equally slushy at the end of the day.
If you need them, the buses are free and frequent, but you don't need to use them at all if you don't want to, although they are great if you stop off for a few beers at the end of the day and you end up in the wrong village.
snow report
Nice dilemma to have. Been to serre che several times and have stayed in both monetier and villeneuve. I can only echo what the others say really. Monetier is a nicer more traditional village, bit quieter on the slopes and has the baths (an absolute must) and Gavin for lessons. It is at the end of the resort so you may find yourself repeating the link to get over to other slopes but cucumelle is a lovely run especially on a sunny morning early. If I remember there is only one short steeper and slightly icy bit but it is a quick side slip only if you are nervous. I am a real wimp happy on blues and easy reds and I had no problem, the top part is wonderful. It used to be a bit of a pain getting back to monetier as there was a slow lift but I think this has now been replaced and the buses are easy.
The Charlotte is in the village and may be a bit of a trial in ski boots but the village navette stops outside so this would make it not that much of an issue.
Villeneuve is more central, may be more handy if you are into the snow parks etc but also has a small old village street which is worth a wander.
The whole area is easy to access with the ski buses that run up and down the valley, Briancon is lovely if you fancy a day off skiing.
Have a great time
ski holidays
Toofy Grin and you can now leave those ski boots at the bottom of the pistes and pick them up in the morning.
latest report
Fabulous. That's just what I needed Dr George and Hells Bells. The Charlotte it is, then. Once again, this forum is indispensable. Just hope rooms haven't gone by me faffing around.
ski holidays
suggul The year we went to Briancon, Mrs MA & I went for a few days in late Jan. Home runs were excellent.

We had such a great time we went back, with another couple, for a long weekend over easter - which was in early April that year. We had an epic powderfest!! Dicey driving conditions over the pass from Turin (snow chains needed); fresh snow down to Briancon; all resort runs across the area (Briancon included) were in great shape; deep powder at altitude - a fantastic trip Very Happy

The on piste links are all excellent from Briancon - we bussed to the far end of the area just for a change from the usual 'there and back' day. It also means you can spend a bit of time exploring the far end of the system instead of just heading back once you get there.
snow report
geoffkay wrote:
suggul,
I've stayed in chalet Charlotte in Monetier, with ski miquel. It's excellent.

In regard to the walk down to the lifts, all your kit can be stored in the locker room immediately
adjacent to lift station. So no carrying skis/poles, walking in ski boots needed.

Spike,
Cucumelle is a lovely wide piste, you will be fine

Highly recommend Serre Chevalier. The only downside was the 8 hour coach transfer due to
bad weather.

Cheers, Geoff.

Hi suggul

Glad to hear the Charlotte is good accommodation and that the Cucumelle run isn't too difficult Smile Lessons to sort with New Generation and I think we're all sorted... Roll on next Feb!
ski holidays
Don't miss out on the baths in monetier, lying outside in hot water in the early evening looking at the snow on the mountains is an experience not to be missed. We had a lovely Christmas Eve doing just that! Very envious, must book that ski holiday
ski holidays
If you travel with Ski Miguel, make sure you check your bill very carefully and I suggest paying by bank transfer or cheque rather than giving them your card details.

I used them a couple of years back for a large group in the Charlotte (40+ across 2 weeks). They made about a dozen billing errors, some utterly ridiculous and not all in their favour, but totalling almost £700 overcharge. They simply took it off my card using the details I'd given them originally, without additional authorisation. When asked to correct it, the MD said: "Are you going to use us again because I'm really only interested in working it all out if we're going to see further business from you" Shocked I was quite gobsmacked!
Naturally I told him, with an attitude like that, he can stick his further business!

Very short sighted - for the sake of £700 worth of dodgy billing, they lost in the region of £25k/yr rolling eyes

Another tip btw. Try not to let them put you in the first floor rooms at the front - their windows are quite low, there's no double glazing and the road outside is pretty busy in the mornings: you get big trucks swooshing past 3ft from your your window from about 6:30am.
Also, the loos/showers were pretty stinky on the lower floors. The 2nd or 3rd floor rooms are definitely well worth the extra stairs.
snow report
admin, terrible about the overcharge, and I don't blame you for warning people about it. Just to balance things out a bit (and I have no real interest in promoting Chalet Charlotte) but the whole place was refurbished last year, the main entrance has been moved from the roadside, they have had new windows fitted,( I think Gavin did some of the work) and bathrooms upgraded, so perhaps some of the problems have been sorted. Ski Miquel actually own the chalet now rather than the villager who owned it before, so I would hope that would mean that they had sorted the plumbing problems.
ski holidays
Anyone looking for more information on the area and what if offers can have a look at this Insider Guide
snow conditions
Hells Bells wrote:
admin, terrible about the overcharge, and I don't blame you for warning people about it.
It wasn't the overcharge per sé. Running such big groups, often means we don't quite fit completely into a company's normal booking procedures: mistakes happen, it's no big deal. Naturally, when you spot one, you bring it to the company's notice: they say "oops, sorry about that" and sort it out.
No, what I was utterly flabbergasted by was the brazen attitude of the owner.
Quote:
Just to balance things out a bit (and I have no real interest in promoting Chalet Charlotte) but the whole place was refurbished last year, the main entrance has been moved from the roadside, they have had new windows fitted,( I think Gavin did some of the work) and bathrooms upgraded, so perhaps some of the problems have been sorted. Ski Miquel actually own the chalet now rather than the villager who owned it before, so I would hope that would mean that they had sorted the plumbing problems.
Well yes, I know it's his now as he had the gaul to ring me after he'd bought the place, to see if I wanted to use it again. I asked if they'd sorted the windows on the first floor, he said that wasn't planned. I asked him about one of the other issues too that he said he had no plans to change, can't remember now, I thought it was about the plumbing but it may not have been. What he seemed most excited about was moving the front door as you say and that he'd split the big family room on the top floor so they could get more people in now. Then I reminded him that he still owed us for the overcharge and that was when he said he'd only be interested in bothering to sort it out if it looked like there would be further business from us Shocked Clearly, if I was 'smart' I'd have pretended there was, led him on till I got things straight then told him where to go but I guess I'm just too 'straight up' (or maybe just too gobsmacked) so I told him I thought he was being dishonest and that, IMV, it doesn't work that way round: you fix your errors as best you can and trust that's enough to retain your client.
Ski Miguel is not a company I'd be happy to use again: obviously rolling eyes
snow report
admin, and obviously I would agree with you. Dishonesty is not a good attribute, and does not attract repeat clientele.
I did notice that one of the company directors had given the place a review on the company website.

rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
admin wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:
admin, terrible about the overcharge, and I don't blame you for warning people about it.
It wasn't the overcharge per sé. Running such big groups, often means we don't quite fit completely into a company's normal booking procedures: mistakes happen, it's no big deal. Naturally, when you spot one, you bring it to the company's notice: they say "oops, sorry about that" and sort it out.
No, what I was utterly flabbergasted by was the brazen attitude of the owner.
Quote:
Just to balance things out a bit (and I have no real interest in promoting Chalet Charlotte) but the whole place was refurbished last year, the main entrance has been moved from the roadside, they have had new windows fitted,( I think Gavin did some of the work) and bathrooms upgraded, so perhaps some of the problems have been sorted. Ski Miquel actually own the chalet now rather than the villager who owned it before, so I would hope that would mean that they had sorted the plumbing problems.
Well yes, I know it's his now as he had the gaul to ring me after he'd bought the place, to see if I wanted to use it again. I asked if they'd sorted the windows on the first floor, he said that wasn't planned. I asked him about one of the other issues too that he said he had no plans to change, can't remember now, I thought it was about the plumbing but it may not have been. What he seemed most excited about was moving the front door as you say and that he'd split the big family room on the top floor so they could get more people in now. Then I reminded him that he still owed us for the overcharge and that was when he said he'd only be interested in bothering to sort it out if it looked like there would be further business from us Shocked Clearly, if I was 'smart' I'd have pretended there was, led him on till I got things straight then told him where to go but I guess I'm just too 'straight up' (or maybe just too gobsmacked) so I told him I thought he was being dishonest and that, IMV, it doesn't work that way round: you fix your errors as best you can and trust that's enough to retain your client.
Ski Miguel is not a company I'd be happy to use again: obviously rolling eyes

Thanks for the heads up admin/ Hells Bells... I didn't personally book the Ski Trip but I shall be sure to pass this info on to my mate to keep an eye out for charges etc... Sounds like you had a "mare" with a large group... There's only 5 of us so hopefully it will run smoother!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy