Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lockwoods Outdoor

Poster: A snowHead
I'm considering going here www.lockwoodsoutdoor.co.uk for my next pair of ski boots.They were recommended to me by an Instructor last year, and I was just looking for some additional feedback.
Anyone been or know someone who has, comments?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
markP, took my family to Lockwoods last Saturday. Big shop - professional boot fitters. As one said, they don't fit on colour so be prepared to accept boots of a style and colour which match your feet, experience and aspirations. Incidentally, they give 10% discount to SCGB members.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
markP-going tomorrow to fit my 18yr old daughter with boots.Will let you know how I get on.
Colin;thanks for the SCGB tip(still a member but only till it runs out!!!)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Excellent. Thanks for the tip Colin. They don't seem to stock a large range of boots according to their website. No Rossignol boots for example. They also seem to be last years boots indicated on the website. Wondered if this was a bit of a short coming
Look forward to your feed back snowskisnow,
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
markP-feedback as promised.No problem.Sorted by a guy named Colin(big guy,scottish accent)seems to be the main man there(taking phone calls,advising others,moulding a pair of weird italian boots some chap had brought back from his hols!!!)All at the same time(wonder what they feed him on?).Anyway;sorted my daughter really well.Good look at her feet,comprehensive measurement inc a good look at ankle flex,arches etc.Brought out a pair of Soloman Performa 6.0(Ladies).
Had a good look before he decided they were right(constantly asking daughter questions re fit and feel)These were then heat moulded,refitted and checked.He also fitted footbeds(Superfeet).This is standard? practise with Lockwoods.I would not argue against it.Yes,it adds £32 to the price but,IMHO,it is worth its weight in gold.Your feet aint flat(are they?)but the base of a ski boot is.Unless you enjoy pain Twisted Evil fit footbeds.All in all a very pleasent experience.
Cost.......Boots £160 F/Beds £32 less 10%(SCGB) = £172.80. Took about 1hr.

Sorry,cant comment on range on offer(concentrated on daughter)however,seemed to be a good selection on display.Suggest you ring and ask for Colin.
Had a quick look round.Fairly obvious that Lockwoods is not a discount store.Mostly top brands at RRP.However its equaly obvious that they know what their doing.You pays yer money etc etc.

Going back this Sat afternoon to get wife sorted(perhaps they do brain surgery Wink )She has a pair of Head Ezon.Says they have "gone loose"?? after 12 mths? They were ill fitted to start with methinks.I shall hand her over to Colin;along with a big stick Evil or Very Mad

Overall opinion.Good store,knowledgeable staff,SCGB discount,top prices(but they are so charming you don't feel so bad Little Angel ) Reccomended snowHead snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have heard good things about Lockwoods too. Where are they?

I am in South Manchester/Cheshire and was going to go to S&R for new boots fairly soon but may be worth making a special trip for such expertise.

snowskisnow let us know how your wife gets on there because that's my problem...present boots 'gone loose' probably they were always too big.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sarah, they're in Leamington Spa. Click on the link (top post) and you get their website.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks snowskisnow, Good review. They sound good to me. I'm not 100% sure about the expertise on display at my local S&R. I'd just like to be sure I'm seen by someone who really knows their stuff.
Plus I could pop to Tamworth and try them out for an hour right away. Cool
sarah, I'm in the same situation as you. I'm going to take a day off next week to get them done. Probably Tuesday. I'll report back.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sarah-we still look on for a trip tomorrow to sort out the wife, and if they can sort her out they can sort anyone rolling eyes I'm not being sexist by the way.My wife is one of those people that's certain about everything,until we get home that is;drives me mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad I'm preparing myself for the worst case--boots are US and she needs new one's Confused Thats gonna hurt(me not her).Lockwoods are quite firm in their views.If,in their opinion,her current boots are useless;we shall be forced to take it on the chin Sad Difficult call really;but if you seek the opinion of experts you must be preparred to follow their advise IMO.However much your wallet squeals Crying or Very sad
Will let you know how we get on.Easy to get to,by the way.J15 M40,left towards Warwick-follow road thru town(past Warwick Castle)till you come to L/Hand turn for Leaminton(Rugby Road) about a mile up there on right(park outside).

markP-sound idea.If you've not been to Tamworth before,let me know as I'm a member there and know a bit about the place.Best of luck snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks snowskisnow, I've been to Tamworth a few times. How long do you think it would take to drive from Lockwoods to Tamworth?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
markP-no more than an hour.Back out to M40,North onto M42.Avoid morning(8 to 9am)and evening(anytime after 4pm-M42 is a nightmare Skullie )Watch out for speed cameras on M42 up to NEC.50mph limit,and they are on,and they will fine you Twisted Evil Welcome to the midlands traffic planners Confused bloody clueless Confused

Sarah-wife sorted.Took care of by a young chap who my son decided was "well cool" as his hair was gelled & spiked Cool Seriously,he was good.Took a close look at my wife's feet(he was brave as well)then tried the fit in just the shells.Much probing Shocked and peering with a torch;he concluded the length was OK but the width was too generous(a feature of the Ezon)Main problem being ankle lift.He seemed quite happy to try and improve the fit.He reccomended footbeds(Superfeet)and padding around ankle.He fitted the footbeds and then bonded on shaped pads to outside of liner.He also changed position of clips on upper boot area.Hey presto;they fit.Wife happy thus me and my wallet happy Very Happy Total cost £32 less 10%(SCGB)for the footbeds Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

A couple of things impressed me.At no point did anyone ask the usual "did you buy those boots here?"(usual opening remark at most outlets) Secondly,nothing was rushed.The fit out took a good 45mins and was no different to buying my (new) daughters boots a few days prior.What else can I say.Good result Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowskisnow, Thanks for this, I am sold. It is impressive that 're-fitted' your wife's boots when they could have sold you new ones.

I am pretty sure mine are too large, I have done the shell check myself and I must have about 4cm behind my heel!! So I think I will be looking at new ones. Sounds like it will be well worth the trip.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sarah et al, we bought 4 pairs about a week ago. My middle son and I have similar feet but were fitted by different guys and ended up with the same boot! We did what we we told and wore them inside for about 2 hours to wear them in. Last Wednesday we went to the Tamworth Snowdome and suffered the exactly the same discomfort. We shall be going back for a refit next Saturday, but expect all to be well.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lockwoods do like to make sure that your boots aren't too big, which does mean that occasionally people end up with boots too small. I went with my older son, I have size 6 feet, he had size 2 then. The fitter decided we both were size 23.5. My decision was that this was rather big for Adam, he would still be OK in his 22.5 for a while, this turned out to be true. I didn't buy the pair selected for me, then had a very painful right foot for about 6 weeks having spent 2 hours in a boot that was much too small. I don't think this poor performance was typical of Lockwoods, I simply had an unexperienced fitter and he wouldn't refer to his boss as it was busy.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I had some boots fitted at Lockwoods the other week. "Big Colin" did the initial measuring around Christmas, and they waited to get what must have been the last pair of Kneissl Flexon Pros in the country before I went back for another fitting. Lee (I think) took his time, padded, taped, shone his torch and generally made sure the boots were absolutely right. Took them on the slopes and they were snug and comfortable all week. They really know their stuff. They said that if the 31 didn't fit me there was probably a 30 at Precision at Val d'Isere. Now that's knowing your market...
snow conditions
Colin/Jane-I can sympathise.I had terrible initial problems with my current boots(Rossignol Softs)Cramped and pinched toes esp on left foot.Severe aches after an hour or so etc.Had the fit checked(not at Lockwoods)and kept being assured that it was OK?Eventually solved by a slight width stretch and custom footbeds(Sidas)They now fit like a glove and cause no discomfort at all.In fact I find them so comfortable I never notice them.My point is that the amount of actual work done to them was so minimal,that its hard to believe it made so much difference.There is no way,that I know of,to avoid the initial discomfort of a new boot?You will only arrive at the final fit when the liners have bedded in and the "crushing" process is complete.Most bootfitters(Lockwoods inc)try to avoid the oversize syndrome(as suffered by my wife)as they know a "tight" boot will "free up".Persevere,you will get there;and I remain confident(from my experiences)that Lockwoods are the people to sort it.Best of luck Cool Cool
latest report
Okay I finally bit the bullet and booked an appointment at Lockwoods, and am now the proud owner of a new pair of boots.
I have to say I was super impressed with these guys. They really knew their stuff, and told me what they we're doing and why at all stages of the fitting process. They were very enthusiastic and went to great lengths to make sure I was in the right boots for my ability and aspirations.
I believe you get out of them what you put in, so that means don't exaggerate your ability and be truthful with all the answers you give or you could find yourself in the wrong boot. After all they aren't physic. The fitting area is top notch. Far better than anything I've seen in any of the bigger outlets, and not a spotty teenager in sight...
I highly recommend going during the week as well. I was the only one being fitted which meant the fitter (Lee, top bloke) could really take his time. Must have been in the shop for a good two and a half hours.
I checked when I got back and the price I paid was the same as S&R and EB so no complaints there either. Especially with the Ski Club discount.
They also offered me a beer while I was there, and you can't argue with that can you?
Oh and Leamington spa is quite a pretty place, which was a pleasant surprise.
So all in all 10/10
snow conditions
markP-never put you down as a tourist Wink but you are quite right,Leamington is a pretty place;lots of Art Deco on buildings etc.By the way,its also a top venue if you're into Warren Miller films snowHead Small cinema & you take your beer in to watch the film Laughing The films aint bad either(however the parkings crap Confused ).
Really glad you got the result you were looking for.You raised the one point that makes the difference,honesty Little Angel
I witnessed a woman on the road to disaster Skullie when there with my daughter.
She made all sorts of ability claims to the fitter(black/powder etc)so I assume she ended up with an appropriate level of boot.Thing was later(front of shop,browsing with her companion)half the shop must have heard her state how she was struggling to get out of plough and onto the edges.She felt that a "really good" pair would help her "out of a hole" Shocked Have the feeling that all those boots will do is put her in an even bigger hole-headfirst : Crying or Very sad Embarassed
Glad you did the right thing Very Happy As most moms often say,"honesty is the best policy" rolling eyes
ski holidays
Quote:

They also offered me a beer while I was there, and you can't argue with that can you?

Now that's proper customer service. Don't imagine it will catch on but just think of the potential...

Would you like a beer sir whilst you push the supermarket trolley?

Would you like a beer sir while you wait for your wife/girlfriend/partner to try on more clothes?

If only Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Just got back from Lockwoods. We must have been there for at least two and a half hours while they did a variety of adjustments - mainly stetches to the boots. They were extraordinarily patient and would have spent longer to get things right despite people waiting to be fitted for new boots. Now that's real service.
snow report
For boot fitting Lockwoods is excellent. The big guy sorted out my terrible boot problem a couple of years ago for nothing, just asked me to leave a tip (they have an old boot on the wall with a bell!) I was so impressed I left them enough for all of the fitters to go to the pub for several beers! I had bought the boots (Saloman Performas) from Ellis Brigham, who fitted and heat moulded them but they were just a fraction too tight causing searing pain over my toes resulting in bad bruising and the loss of both nails on my big toes - twice, not funny! They refitted them but still they were wrong and I was on the verge of dumping them and getting some more. Colin heated and pushed the shells out just a couple of millimetres around the toes but that is enough that I now have very well fitting boots and I'm comfortable in them all week when I go skiing. As I live very close to this shop, I have a lot of friends who use it, and for boot fitting and ski servicing/repair etc they are brilliant, but as mentioned previously it's certainly not for bargain hunters! They are a great source of all outdoor clothing, not just for skiing, they do loads for trekking etc. too, but there is another shop quite close by in Warwick (on the Emscote Road) called Escape 2 which is brilliant for all outdoor clothing and more reasonable.
latest report
snowskisnow, have same problem with my Rossignol softs. Where di you get them re-fitted.
latest report
Helen,had mine done by a bootfitter at the Ellis Brigham outlet at Tamworth Snowdome.My problem was twofold.First,general foot ache caused by flat insole-cured by moulded inserts(Sidas)Secondly,pinching across widest part of foot.Cured by a width stretch.This must be done cold(as recomended by Rossignol)
or there is a risk the rubber parts may detach.This means leaving the stretcher in overnight,so go to a fitter close to home.
Have just completed my second week of skiing in my redone boots.Result-nothing!
Not a blister,ache or anything.Wore my boots every day from 9 till 5 without touching a clip.Like skiing in slippers Wink Well worth the effort to get them right.
Best of luck.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy