Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stickers on helmets?

Poster: A snowHead
OK, whats the general consensus on putting stickers on helmets - safe or not?

I know with motorcycle helmets it's always been said not to as the glue can affect the helmets integrity - is this the same with ski helmets, do people put stickers on anyway or avoid doing it?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sH stickers go very well on helmets
can't believe it would harm the integrity
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
HSE guidelines (we are talking construction industry now) state only stickers issued by the manufacturer of the helmet can supply stickers to apply to it. The thinking being chemicals in the adhesive can effect the plastics.

How much effect stickers actually have, I can find no evidence.

I had my helmet sprayed up to negate the need for stickers Happy - even then they had to use water based paint and add several clear finishing coats as the wrong type of paint can seriously effect the plastics
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
(I say this as a helmet wearer myself...)

Unless you're ski racing or otherwise in a situation where you could be testing the limits of a helmet's construction then I wouldn't worry about it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't own a helmet, but would say from experience in the construction industry that probably the biggest danger would be that stickers could cover up any flaws/cracks in the helmet. (It is illegal to put stickers on hardhats/ladders etc for this reason)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
In theory, thermoplastic shells (eg. pretty much every single ski helmet) could be damaged by the adhesives. In practise you'll have a job finding stickers with suitably destructive glue, getting enough of that glue onto the helmet to do damage, and keeping it there long enough to do its work.

There have been a few unscientfic experiments on this that you can find with a bit of searching, here's one: http://www.helmets.org/stickers.htm

Still, at least they're not camera mounts, eh?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Seeing most helmets have a sticker on them already, I reckon you're ok in maintaining the integrity of the helmet. Maintaining your personal dignity is another matter.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Put as many stickers on as possible, it will protect the helmet integrity from the far more destructive effects of apres ski bar floor scratches!

pro tip... remove the stickers after 2 years and hey presto! new helmet!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Richard_Sideways, dulcamara, Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Discussed a bit on this thread: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2481250&highlight=stickers#2481250

As regards snowHeads stickers I believe that the gum used is unlikely to have adverse effects on the helmet material.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I heard legend that the glue used on the Snowheads stickers is made from a secret blend of Marmot whistles, the congealed substance that forms on the underside of the Apres Zone and the rendered bones of the old SCGB forum...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Richard_Sideways, The boss man uses the same glue to keep that wig on.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The SH stickers will make you ski better if placed on helmet, I've carried out a scientific test on myself, and since getting the stickers on my helmet I can now ski better than I could before.

They did have a strange smell, but now Richard_Sideways, has explained it, I now know why Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Little Martin, tried sticking mine to my sportube today, but nothing wants to stick to it ggrrrr
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PaulC1984, My first snowboard had a weird matt surface which stickers refused to stick to - whenever I tried they'd always peel off, you could track where I'd been by following the trail of unstuck stickers. So in the end I stencilled it.
latest report
Richard_Sideways, Being a snowboarder the trail cant have gone far - surely they were in a circle in the middle of the slope as you sat doing up your bindings Happy
latest report
Always to the side PaulC1984, always to the side...
Plus a lot of that early riding was in the US/CA - they know how to build a trail over there without all that cat-track uphill nonsense.
snow conditions
PaulC1984, Fishing today are we? wink
ski holidays
Quote:

probably the biggest danger would be that stickers could cover up any flaws/cracks in the helmet

^^^^ This

You also run the risk of looking pretty lame.

wink
snow report
dulcamara, Me, fishing, never! There is only one rod I use for hucking things, and its not used around fish Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy