Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2014/2015

Poster: A snowHead
Watch out there are 25 of us coming out on Sunday , Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

there are 25 of us coming out on Sunday

as the other 25,000 will have arrived on Saturday the roads should be quieter by then. wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My daughter and I are coming for a 4 day trip on Sunday too - hope its all calmed down by then
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name,
You skiing again yet? Friday looking good, oh and sat, sun, Mon, Tue etc..
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Been snowing lightly for about an hour or so now. Let's see what tomorrow brings!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I am a lone skier amongst a herd of boarders this time ! Maybe I have one other amongst the others , here's hoping . Can't wait !!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ha ha , I hope so, early start at 3.00am in the UK. Hope the roads are clearer than on the 28th dec when we were put up in Albertsville cold room gym over night!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am currently in Petit Chatel, looks like a snowy day tomorrow, any suggestions as to the best place to ski?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Hope the roads are clearer than on the 28th dec when we were put up in Albertsville cold room gym over night!

the roads will probably be much the same, but with far less traffic cars equipped for the conditions should be OK. I suspect the gendarmerie will be out insisting on chains if the snow is anything like the forecasts.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

Good morning from a snowy Chatel. My guesstimate is maybe 10-15cm here at 1200m but difficult to gauge. It's still coming down. It is very windy down here too. Lots and lots of blasting going on again this morning.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Now snowing in Champéry, however at 4am this morning it was very windy and raining! Felt a little cheated with the rain bit! Anyway snowing quite hard on top of the wet stuff and windy too.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes @pam w, your right traffic will be a lot lighter. Going up this time by a private transfer rather than a Crystal coach as well which will help no doubt. 😄
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Very white scene here in Les Gets, about 9 inches overnight I reckon - OH won't stir to give his considered opinion. Very windy here too and a car seems a bit stuck over the road but they have now been grovelling in the boot so perhaps chains might appear. -2.9C
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sarah, that's a great pic
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Temperature stable at -2.9C
Visibility has improved and I can now see across the valley and up to the Grande Ourse.
snow report
There's at least a foot out there now, still coming down thick and fast!

It's going to be the same for the next few days so I won't post a play by play each time an extra centimetre comes down.

We left the minibus this morning as conditions look rather hazardous for driving - not sure we'll dig it out tomorrow either. Yes, some people are out driving but we don't want to risk it - especially after we saw a fully loaded bus in a ditch the other day Shocked

Once it clears it'll be fantastic but it looks like there's another front coming in on Tuesday now, so only the briefest of respite on Monday before it comes back in again snowHead
ski holidays
There's a LOT of snow. Knee deep (am tall) at the top of Ranfolly. The first hour this morning was possibly one of the best hours of my skiing life.
snow report
And a severe weather warning issues by the prefecture

'Although there’s no need to be alarmed at the moment, if you’re heading to resort this weekend, PLEASE put your snow chains on BEFORE you attempt to come up the mountain. Without snow chairs, the Police Municipale will stop you from even trying. If you’re leaving resort this weekend, leave extra time for your journey. If you’re booked on an airport transfer, expect your pick-up time to be earlier than planned.

Road users, including airport transfer drivers are also being asked to prepare their vehicles with blankets, food and water, and any other previsions necessary, should the worst happen. Road users are asked to be sensible and only travel if absolutely necessary, keeping the roads as unobstructed as possible for arriving and departing holiday makers.'

http://morzinesourcemagazine.com/severe-weather-warning-issued/
ski holidays
Hello! Looking like theres going to be some great skiing to be had in the coming days, hope everyone gets the most out of it! A quick question if I may, I am due to arrive in Morzine later on today, and was thinking I would get my skis a quick service, probably tomorrow night, could anyone recommend a shop to get a good quality service completed in?
snow conditions
25 cm fell overnight @ 1250m, but it is rain @ 850m. (or it was at 06h30 when I drove down thie mountain).
Still snowing hard @ 1250m though.
latest report
@mikeyeff, Coq & Bull across the road and a bit up from Rhodos will give your skis a good tune.
ski holidays
Just come back in now from a very very snowy Pre la Joux snowHead Fresh knee deep tracks on piste snowHead except I can't actually ski powder very well at all and had two wipe outs snowHead

Delayed opening up there this morning due to securing the pistes. We had a bit of a wait for them to open Pierre Longue, Pre la Joux wasn't open. Then at Plaine Dranse Rochassons was open but Chaux des Rosees didn't open until maybe 10.00 ish. Pre la Joux then opened and so we got up there, then up Combes and tried to stay round the trees. Good fun snowHead
ski holidays
@MeMyselfandI, Thanks for the tip, much appreciated.
ski holidays
There is an amber warning for snow and avalanches in effect from 10pm tonight with the announcement from the prefecture stating 60cm due overnight at 1500m. The avalanche risk is 4/5 at all altitudes and they are suggesting that people stay on piste at all times.

http://www.haute-savoie.gouv.fr/Actualites/Alertes/Episode-neigeux-intense-en-Haute-Savoie-dernieres-informations

But good news is that the school will still be open!
latest report
Quote:

But good news is that the school will still be open!

excellent news - as that means our road will be clear. We were out in the village today and the buses have their chains on and are keep very much to time. Ploughs and lorries all over the place clearing the snow and pedestrians all with suicide wishes wandering all over the roads.
ski holidays
@Pamski, they were walking 4 abreast in the middle of the road when I was coming down this afternoon and refused to move when I beeped the horn, one of them doing the fingers at me, bless his little socks.

In all seriousness people walking in the road is a major issue when it starts snowing. It's so dangerous and I saw at least three people pushing prams doing the same. With the best will in the world people can't always stop suddenly if they come around a blind corner going downhill and there is a group of people in the middle of the road. At this time of year I get seriously concerned I'm going to hurt someone really badly in an easily avoidable accident which would be even worse if my kids were in the car at the same time.

In short, footpaths are for people. Roads are for cars. If it's difficult to walk easily on the footpath then it's even more difficult to swerve pedestrians on the road...
latest report
Agree about pedestrians in the road, very worrying because going uphill sometimes you really really don't want to have to stop. They don't realise how challenging the driving conditions can be at times.
ski holidays
I'm coming out a week today and I'm a touch concerned about the slow start to the season and the snow conditions.

Can anyone put my mind at rest?

Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@munter, Very Happy Well done, glad to see you've taken on board the comment in the other thread from the guy who wrote off the PdS for the whole season, back in December! rolling eyes. If only we were all so prescient! Have a great time! snowHead
latest report
@munter, come and shovel my drive, that'll put your mind at rest snowHead
snow report
I keep reading this and no idea why as I probably wont be back in PDS until April. If there is any snow.......... Smile

Hope you are all having fun.
snow conditions
This time tomorrow evening we should be embarking on our treacherous snow filled apocalyptic journey via transfer minibus from GVA to deepest darkest Morzine - and I can't wait Very Happy
snow report
Ooooo two more partial sleeps for me, can't sleep to exciteeeeddd
snow report
A further 45 cm fell last night @ 1250m. Where the snow has not been pisted it is now up to the height of my gentlemans area.
Vallee D'Aulps road was fine @ 06h30, the Col Du Corbier had been ploughed, but was still a tad snowy on the upper reaches.
Great point about pedestrians, also people stopping on the hill to put chains on. Please do it in the chaining up bays before going up the hill, you may have to drive 1 or 2 km on tarmac with your chains, but then you will not need to stop on the steep snowy bit causing everybody else to stop.
snow report
note on the local expats e mail at around 8.15 this morning so may be clear now:

"The Ardent road is closed to the lake for avalanche control but back roads are cleared and open. Theyve done a great job making the road as wide as possible so passing safely is possible. Still a few dicks on the road though so watch out!
Also lots of signs of slab avalanches so be safe. "
ski holidays
Lots of snow. Lots of it. Loads. Everywhere. Still falling. Snow. Lots. Winter is here.
ski holidays
I have some friends who are not organised enough to buy a pass online, but if they want to go to Les Gets via the back of the Mont Chery, can they buy a pass from the Col D'Encrenaz side?
snow conditions
@WindOfChange, I don't think there's an office there.
ski holidays
There isn't an office there but the people they are staying with should be able to help?
latest report
@MeMyselfandI, please don't use it all. One more week till I can come and join in the fun! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy