Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2014/2015

Poster: A snowHead
5cm up top of Les Gets by 1700. Probably another 5cm since then. Still snowing. Stuck behind someone who forgot to put winter tires on...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Pamski, both kids were at home this afternoon sick which was annoying, was quite looking forward to going out with the 6 year olds this afternoon, I only got the morning out skiing with the small ones who are really quite boring. Seems a lot busier this week though, huge groups of kids in normal lessons.

ETA - in deference to the fact this is a 'snow condition' thread then this morning the snow was nice in places but becoming more scraped. And there's been about 5cm at village level in Les Gets this evening.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 26-01-15 19:06; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I know I shouldn't get too excited this far out, but it looks like broad agreement for pretty much non-stop snow from now until we arrive in LG on the 6th Feb. Thereafter a few forecasts show three days of sun! If there was such a thing as ski holiday poker we'd be looking at a royal flush!

Of course it won't really work out like that... will it?!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's been coming down in Morzine all day and it's been very heavy for a few hours now. I'd say were looking at 20cm + in town if this goes all night. Tomorrow is gonna be a cracker....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Been coming down steadily in Chatel since mid afternoon snowHead Not been up the past couple of days as non-skiing parents staying. Hope we can get them out ok early tomorrow morning and get friends in ok late Thursday Confused Laughing

@BergenBergen, do not economise on a shovel Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@sarah, looking outside now, I think I should have taken your advice. And still snowing buckets in Thollon
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
10ish cm in Les Gets at village level (hard to know exactly here as I've been snow clearing since yesterday afternoon). Regardless, it's at least a moderate amount of nice fluffy white stuff. Alas due to the two sick children I shall not be having any more interaction with it other than pushing it off my terrasse.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Had a good dump in Chatel over night - When we left the chalet at 20.50 last night there was at least 10 cms

THis morning it looks more like 15 - 20 but I don't know where my measuring tape is... Mad

Looking amazing for later in the week!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BergenBergen, Laughing

@MeMyselfandI, hope they get well soon! We got a call from the school one day last week to go and collect ours who was feeling sick after a bad experience in the Cantine spoo fortunately he was right as rain and had just taken exception to the 'white sausage' Laughing

@Mountain Addiction, I agree with your guesstimates, 20cm ish, having just dug out my car and partly cleared the drive. Cuppa, bit of sorting then up I think snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Glad you had a good dump in Chatel. I had a good dump here too after my indian rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Seriously though, is the current snow making a difference or is it just hiding the issues? Presumably with no base to speak of it will easily leach and/or sublimate be scraped off and just hide piste dangers. OR is there sufficient to overcome these problems and provide reasonable non base wrecking skiing?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Maersk wrote:
Seriously though, is the current snow making a difference or is it just hiding the issues? Presumably with no base to speak of it will easily leach and/or sublimate be scraped off and just hide piste dangers. OR is there sufficient to overcome these problems and provide reasonable non base wrecking skiing?

?!

This was the situation about 11 days ago, but bears no resemblance to the current position. Plenty snow since then. There is also an exceptionally large snowfall coming, starting tomorrow night. The dangers after that will be all about avalanche. Certainly not rocks, ice or vegetation...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Nelbert75, what a very nice reply Very Happy

Mine was going to be WTF?? But then I am grumpy today Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sarah wrote:
@Nelbert75, what a very nice reply Very Happy

Mine was going to be WTF?? But then I am grumpy today Embarassed

I considered the very same but I had such an amazing day in the powder that my normally grumpy constitution has been cancelled...smiles this evening...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Nelbert75, that is my problem! Got bogged down with domestic duties today and now very irritable Mad I am out there tomorrow snowHead
snow report
@Nelbert75, indeed. It was a very good day today. You were there or you were not Very Happy
snow report
One therefore assumes that conditions are improving. Nice to hear from friendly, fellow SnowHeads. Some of us are not blessed with living the dream out there and are dependent on 6 days a year to satiate our appetites for frozen water and as such we are at the mercy of 'reports'.
Nice of you guys/guyesses to so eloquently confirm that conditions are genuinely improving and that people about to arrive in the mountains will be welcomed by sound conditions.

Grumpy? WTF. TRY MISSING FIVE ENTIRE YEARS consecutively.......... rolling eyes

Ok I'll trouble you no more I shall disappear back into the ether, where all occasional visitor SnowHeads appear to belong....
snow conditions
@Maersk, Laughing Laughing Laughing

I know, I've missed years too.

Apologies, grumpiness now resolved by a good session of edging and waxing accompanied by a glass of red Very Happy

Seriously, IMO, conditions are really, really good. You don't need to worry. When are you arriving? snowHead
snow report
That's nice. Thanks for getting back so quickly.
End of the month hopefully snowHead
ski holidays
@Maersk, end of this month? This weekend? Will be very nice indeed snowHead
latest report
Quote:

Will be very nice indeed

if you can get there.... Skullie wink
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Will be very nice indeed

if you can get there.... Skullie wink

Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
First post - Heading out Saturday.... fingers crossed we can make it up from the airport!
snow report
Man the chuff up the lot of you. If I can drive in a v-reg Corsa you'll all be fine.
latest report
Fingers crossed it'll be ok by Saturday. Wednesday night through to Friday morning is when most of the snow is due to fall. They clear things pretty quickly up the mountain. You get woken at 4am by all sorts of snow clearing machinery, a change from the blissful silence of a snowfall when you go to bed. I'd be more worried about geneva airport, the freezing level is due to be pretty low.

Maersk, enjoy your holiday. You could certainly have come at much worse times this season
ski holidays
Due to arrive at GVA at 10pm Friday eve for a weekend in Morzine - hoping for snow/snow/snow until Friday eve then a nice clear weekend so we can enjoy the powder Toofy Grin
snow report
@Roger C, then you are going to be disappointed. Bring some goggles....and a snorkel!
snow conditions
@zzz, perhaps I'll pack my drysuit as well then Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stock piled on Salt when at intermarche the other day! I'm both excited AND terrified by the amount of snow.

It's not going to be easy on Friday morning for drop downs!!
snow conditions
How about this, I've been trawling through 22 pages and been up with you in your hopes and down with you in the xmas despondency, but you're up right now, right? I see that flying stantoni is not around anymore, been here a couple of years ago and we're going to avoriaz, I've never been happier to go to avoriaz reading through xmas shenanigans, week beginning 14 feb. booking.com messed us up for the night of sat 14 so for one night only will be in morzine then rest of week in avoriaz. how long to drive to avoriaz from Impasse du Jora and when best to do it on morning of 15 feb. btw is there another thread where this is more appropriate?
snow report
It's started snowing lightly in Les Gets. 6 year old was racing on Mt Chery today and his snow report is that there wasn't enough snow on the lower return and the upper pistes were a bit too bumpy and icy. Hopefully that shall be rectified after this weekend.

Oh, and if a piste is closed for racing, don't bloody well ski down it, feel free to pass that gem of advice around freely.
latest report
Mountain Addiction wrote:
Stock piled on Salt when at intermarche the other day! I'm both excited AND terrified by the amount of snow.

It's not going to be easy on Friday morning for drop downs!!

I got salt the other day too. I am going to get another massive shovel too snowHead I think I will go and completely clear the drive now and salt it in the hope that it might help. We have got 3 x in/out movements between tomorrow and Sunday, then another on Tuesday, I am mildly concerned Confused Especially when I heard that the school bus might not run Shocked

Beeeee-aaaaaa-uuuuuutiful day up there today snowHead Truly the calm before the storm! Blue skies, cold, sunny, great snow snowHead Much much busier up there, not quite sure why Puzzled
ski holidays
It was gently snowing a tiny bit at Ardent at around 12.30 to 1 when we were back to the car after a good morning over to Morgins, all lovely sunshine first thing and quiet around the top of the Mossettes, but as we were getting back towards Les Crosets the light was increasingly flat and we were happy to ski back and come home as lots to do here. But it is a beautiful afternoon here with clear blue skies - is this the lull before the storm??

The talk everywhere seems to be watch out, the weather is changing. So I did a huge supermarket sweep yesterday - blaming the housewife in me stocking up, and throwing lots of candles etc into my trolley as my OH is unaware that we have a big family visit happening on Friday and I will now blame all the made up beds everywhere on the drinks party we are having on Saturday evening - just in case people have one too many drinks and can't get home in the snow!
ski holidays
@Pamski, same over here, lovely morning, then flatter light and looked like it would close in over lunchtime with a tiny bit of snow and winds, then it blew over and blues skies again snowHead

I better go and do battle in Intermarche now. I hate that place Mad You are luckier over there, I much prefer your Carrefour at St J d'A.
ski holidays
Quote:

same over here, lovely morning, then flatter light and looked like it would close in over lunchtime with a tiny bit of snow and winds, then it blew over and blues skies again

same here, too. Son and I set out for a walk on snowshoes when it was very overcast and snowing a tiny bit, thinking we'd left it too late, then it cleared and now nothing but blue skies. Still, it can change fast, in any direction. Meteo France still reckon it's going to snow tonight.
ski holidays
Can this be believed for the next three days at LG? Seems possible from current charts, but on the high side compared to most other forecasts.

We can dream!

ski holidays
Just wanted to say many thanks to all you local folks for keeping us part-time snowheads so very well informed about local conditions. I only get to ski 2-3 times each season (consider myself to be lucky to be able to get out on the white stuff that often), so like many people I start getting very interested in conditions as a trip draws near and your regular updates are much appreciated.
Heading out to Morzine two weeks tomorrow and given current conditions and weather forecasts am looking forward to some great skiing. Was in Villaroger (Les Arcs), two weeks back where conditions were far from perfect and absolutely shredded the base of my ski on stones coming up through the thin snow, but now things are looking up I think I'll spend some time repairing the damage and touching up (completely refilling), the edges.
ski holidays
It's started to rain in Geneva...
snow report
I have bought another shovel, one of the big ones with a handlebar, bring it on snowHead
ski holidays
@munter, dream on , maybe 25% of this will fall , but that will still add up to a great week
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy