Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2014/2015

Poster: A snowHead
@Touchguru, I know Laughing

Lovely morning here in Chatel. Looks as if it's going to be a clear sunny one snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And to confirm that one should never take the muttered knowledge of locals to heart, Ranfolly Express is now going again. Lovely.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A crisp, cold sunny one today. On piste conditions this morning generally hard and a bit cruddy but not icy, not bad at all really.

Went over the top today to meet a friend and skied mainly round the Lindarets bowl. Busier over there than our side.

Another good day snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Was a great day yesterday! We went skiing with our guests and had an absolute blast.

We started at the Linga and skied over to Plaine Dranse, up Rochassons and over in to Linderets, through Avoriaz up Intrets, over to Chavenette - stopped for Coffee... yum...

Continued down to the Up and Over chair and skied down to the Drag that meets the top of Grand Conche, skied down to Les Crosets, up Mossettes and over to Pointe de l'au, skied the steep red twice (amazing - had it to ourselves) then through to Champoussin for lunch at Chez Gaby - Delicious, but pricey thanks to the squiffy exchange rate. Then skied all the way back via Abricotine to Linderets up chaux fluerie and all the way back to linga with 10 mins to spare before last lift!

Was truly brilliant and amongst one of the best days skiing I think I've done, there's nothing like sharing your passion for skiing and the outdoors with guests who are equally as enthusiastic as you

snowHead Very Happy snowHead

Hopefully we'll get a ski in today, but being 'on the go' from 07:00 - 21.30 breakfast, skiing, dinner service - I'll be happy with a shorter ski, I think i'd need a double leg transplant if we skied the same today even if it is Day off!!! Skullie
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good reports from yesterday, I can just picture it. Webcams on Valdilliez website are making me feel ever so slightly sick as I sit behind my desk
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mountain Addiction, hopefully your guests bought you lunch?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
zzz wrote:
@Mountain Addiction, hopefully your guests bought you lunch?

unfortunately that's a no - but there are 2 of us who ski with our guests so it's a rather unfair for them to pay for us both. I never expect it, but it is a pleasant surprise when they do.

They did buy us our drinks when we stopped at Chavenette, which was very kind of them Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Conditions were pretty good today.

Only went for a 'short ski' of about 2h 30m, still made it over to Les Croset via Mossettes had coffee at Chaudron and only left because someone puffed up a cigar to which we were sitting down wind of Evil or Very Mad so begrudgingly left earlier than planned, even though I was enjoying the sunshine and Dents Blanche. Skied back after heading up the Swiss wall chair and watched bodies sliding down the Wall dodging ledge like bumps and rocks. Back through Avoriaz, Linderets & Plaine Dranse.

Conditions were very good, although, more snow is needed so just as well there are dumps coming over the next few days Toofy Grin Some parts still have a few firm patches, and there are a few icy bits but conditions are markedly better with the recent snow. Faces in the sun softened nicely, not slush (definitely NOT slush) just softening of icy patches - which is good, if it freezes gently it won't be a solid patch next time, so the softening process sometimes helps as the thick layer of ice gets shaved off, when it does freeze gently it won't be solid and glassy - not fun.

But, fingers crossed the stalling engine that has been the beginning of the season looks like it's up and running in near full stride Very Happy so hopefully conditions will only get better snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Mountain Addiction, sounds like you're having a great time snowHead

I agree conditions were good today and weather was glorious snowHead

Also had a short ski, just went out for the afternoon.

Best conditions of the day top half of Renards and some other bits of off piste between pistes. Worst conditions that top bit of the black at Linga which is scraped right back to the grass in the middle.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sarah, Enjoying yourself is the best part of all this - isn't it?

I only wish I started posting here sooner... it's good to give informed, genuine and fair opinions of a place, a thing or activity.

If conditions are great, i'll say. If they're fair, i'll also say. If they're not great, I'll try and look for a positive but retain fairness and honesty.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Had a tour of most areas today, Les gets, Morzine, super Morzine, linga, chatel, Switzerland and back via Avoriaz. My general impression was that slopes in LG/M were great am, some areas a bit scraped in the afternoon. Avoriaz slopes generally in good condition. Run down to Morgins from Chatel was interesting, fortunately cow dung is similar to spring snow! Crosets seemed in good nick. All in all a great day with beautiful weather, 62km
of skiing apparently!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mountain Addiction, yes snowHead

@retsil, you were lucky to get cow dung to ski on, that link has only just opened Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mountain Addiction, "it's good to give informed, genuine and fair opinions of a place, a thing or activity."

I've always thought this is the thing snowheads gives the best return on.

We can argue about helmets, winter tyres, A-framing and bootfitting as much as we like but that on the spot feedback is the one thing you can't get anywhere else.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We also had a good day in Les Gets and Morzine today with friends who are staying - over to the Chamossiere first thing which was in great nick, well the Arbis, although at the top I had a funny moment after a couple of turns and stopped and felt like seasickness - the light must have been strange, but bashed on and really enjoyed it. We went on to Nyon, and the runs around there and back to pick up another of the party in Les Gets, then the Rosta area and the Melezes a few times. OH got a big clunk on his hip from the Rosta lift - and our friend is nursing a hip that is going to be operated on so taking it easy! It seemed to be sunny all day which was not on the forecast.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
reded78 wrote:
Evening all - wonder if someone might be able to offer any advice.

I've just booked a weekend trip at the end of March for myself and my two eldest children (11 & 8 ), staying at the Atria-Crozats P&V apartments up in Avoriaz. My question is this - in order to max ski time and avoid weekend transfer I've booked is evening flights for the Friday and are not likely to arrive in Avoriaz till approx 10.30 / 11pm, can anyone advise on the distance to the apartments from where the transfer will drop us off and is there likely to be any carriages / skidoo thingies to help with our bags.

I've skied the PDS a few times on lads trips, any family advice on Avoriaz (restaurants etc) greatly appreciated.

Atria is at the top of the village, a good slog from the welcome centre so def get a ratrack on arrival. They'll be around at 11pm on a friday, if by chance there's no sign when you arrive the phone no. to call is plastered everywhere inside the welcome centre. If you really get stuck you can get luggage luges there (need 1 euro coins) and hoof it. Go downhill to Fontaines Blanches, take the public escalator up to Alpages I, then the Alpages I public escalator up to Atria. Don't let the transfer driver drop you in Prodains (I think the telecabine runs till midnight on fri and sat, so some people do want to go that way), you need to be driven right up to the welcome centre at the top. Restaurants are personal choice. They're all essentially the same. I like the Fontaines Blanches.
ski holidays
DJL wrote:
@Mountain Addiction, "it's good to give informed, genuine and fair opinions of a place, a thing or activity."

I've always thought this is the thing snowheads gives the best return on.

We can argue about helmets, winter tyres, A-framing and bootfitting as much as we like but that on the spot feedback is the one thing you can't get anywhere else.

Agreed snowHead snowHead
snow conditions

As I can now post piccies without them showing sideways I thought I would post a few from the past couple of days snowHead Bon weekend and bon ski!
snow conditions
Oh and it's snowing lightly at 1200m in Chatel this morning with a couple of cms of fresh settling now snowHead
latest report
Nice piccies @sarah, . It's looking good.
snow report
I posted on another thread, has anyone skied La Chap / Torgon / Chalet Neuf / Morgins Forest in the last couple of days ( thnking of heading that way tommorow), and can advise on snow conditions. Thinking of Happy Vallley / Donkeys / PLJ on Sunday afer the snow Sat PM, but any top tips from those who are lucky enough to get out in the week is VERY much appreciated.
Thank you
snow conditions
I'm not really a fan of 'Happy Valley' or 'Donkeys'

In my honest opinion there are far better places to ski which are equally as easy to get to, and less busy. But they're our secret places Laughing

Be careful of the Key Hole.

And people really need to take care on the PLJ side, particularly when under Rochassons - There is a frozen waterfall there and it is solid glass ice to which nothing sticks. It's really dangerous there and I saw 4 people on it, skis, poles and bodies scattered over the area. There are some small cliffs there too which off the sides are full of bushes, normally the gullies are full of snow and the bushes get buried but not this year, so, when the fresh snow comes don't believe it to be as perfect as it looks.

From higher up it looks like a perfect powder field, if you track out along one of the MTB tracks you'll be fine, but if you go too low, you'll get stuck - very stuck... unless you can fly Puzzled

As a rule, if you're unfamiliar with what the terrain is then don't ski it. In the summer that part is a fully flowing waterfall with stream running and it is quite ditchy... the perfect place to trap your ski/leg or get caught on the concealed thick undergrowth which isn't quite covered by a deep enough base.
latest report
Champery 'all pds' lift pass prices dropped due to strong franc (posted in 'not the weather' thread too, but more might see it here!):

Quote:
Chère cliente, cher client,

À la suite de la décision de la BNS d’abolir le taux plancher de l’Euro et après mûre réflexion, Télé Champéry-Crosets a décidé d’adapter ses prix sans toutefois mettre en péril les salaires des employés ou nuire à la qualité des prestations fournies !

De ce fait, vous pouvez dès à présent acheter le forfait journalier Portes du Soleil au prix de CHF 52.- au lieu de CHF 61.- ou le forfait 6 jours à CHF 256.- au lieu de CHF 300.- !!

Pour tous renseignements supplémentaires sur les tarifs, rendez-vous directement sur www.telechampery.ch et pour suivre notre actualité en direct, rejoignez notre page Facebook Télé Champéry-Les Crosets Portes du Soleil SA.

Nous vous souhaitons, chère cliente, cher client, une belle saison d’hiver et vous présentons nos salutations les meilleures.
ski holidays
@MountainAddiction thanks for the heads up on the bit under Rochassons, as we normally ride there too after a snowfall, and have seen what happens to people who go too low. I really want to go to the col du pds from the gap in the rocks by the old Combe t-bar in Morgins, and then ride the forest. the 1st pitch is sweet, and then the forest awesome, just don't know if the snow is good enough at the moment. The Savolaire should be ok though, so might give that a try if nothing doing near cornebois. TBH I quite like happy valley and donkeys as I snowboard with my 3 kids who generally go off in different directions looking for the biggest cliff drops and jumps, and by riding around the middle I can normally keep an eye on them, although it is like herding cats sometimes.
snow report
@WindOfChange we skied down to Morgins from Chalet Neuf on Thursday and it was pretty poor cover, getting steadily worse as you went further down. Lots of mud, grass and grit. Today going up the Corbiere chair in the other direction the piste down to Morgins was closed and the bit from top of Chalet Neuf down to the 2 drags looked unenjoyable. Not sure it's a route I would choose before more snow arrives.
snow conditions
Where are happy valley and donkeys?
snow report
Big dumps due in the forecast over the coming days - particularly Wednesday & Thursday. Nearly 60cms showing on the forecast snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Look like a strong wind from the north later in the week brrrrrrr
ski holidays
coming out this week, but our two ski days are Thursday and Friday - not sure whether to laugh or cry! if it snows as heavily as forecast, will most of the lifts still be running? don't mind poor visibility as long as the chairs aren't too cold, so hoping for some powdery fun below the tree line...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
travelwomble wrote:
coming out this week, but our two ski days are Thursday and Friday - not sure whether to laugh or cry! if it snows as heavily as forecast, will most of the lifts still be running? don't mind poor visibility as long as the chairs aren't too cold, so hoping for some powdery fun below the tree line...

Lifts will always open if it snows. The only time lifts close are in very, very high winds. I've only been aware of 1 day in the last 5 years that the lifts did not open at all due to extreme high winds. Our mountains here are well sheltered - but you should be careful when heading in to linked areas, for example: if you drop from the top of Rochassons in to Lindarets you run the risk of maybe getting stuck if they close the lifts in high winds - it is not the lift companies responsibility to get you where you need/want to be.

I got stuck last year in Les Crosets when the lift shut after sudden high winds rolled in. They didn't know whether they were going to open it again. So we were stuck there with a group of guests just waiting at the lift barrier hoping it would open, Luckily the wind dropped back for 10 mins and we were up and outta there, but it still took 2 and 1/2 hours.
snow conditions
It will be fine just get out and enjoy the weather is the weather and if its snows as they are forcasting head for the trees and the fresh powder
Cracking Very Happy
ski holidays
Started snowing again in Les Gets at 2.45 this afternoon, just after we got home. We had had a dusting overnight. Will be interesting to see how much of the forecast snow we do get later in the week as the amounts keep going up and down a bit.
latest report
Yep, been snowing heavily in Chatel for a few hours now - roads are a bit sketchy as there's not much salting or ploughing going on
snow report
Snow first thing was pleasant and grippy. Cold temperatures keeping it in good condition and with a little overnight. Snowing consistently now, doesn't feel huge, but should be nice first thing tomorrow.
snow report
Pistes in good condition after last nights snowfall and cold temperatures. Lovely and sunny now. La Grand Ourse very kindly squeezed me in for a delicious hog roast for Sunday lunch.
snow report
Beautiful day - MC in good shape, touch too many people around but why not. Simple lunch over at Ancrenaz. Sun out, blue skies.
ski holidays
Looks like fairly steady snow now on the Les Gets webcams. Hopefully the start of a week of solid snowfall and lighter winds than forecast. Having taken a look at the various forecasts it does seem that snow will fall, but the depths will no doubt vary wildly. If anything snowforecast.com has underestimated for LG so far this year so I hope that's again the case! Onthesnow is showing over a metre thursday to sunday with snow continuing into next week. Only 10 days to go now and it looks like conditions will be very good after a slow start.
ski holidays
@munter, yes, it is snowing steadily here now. Minus 4.3C at 4.30.
snow report
Light snow all day in Bernex.Empty slopes and the visibilty held up. Now snowing heavily, about an inch in the last hour. Worried about the forecast for Friday. Travelling home on Friday and have been looking in the shops for a cheap shovel.
ski holidays
Still snowing in Les Gets. For once the snow-forecast update has gone up with the amount of snow forecast with 22cm expected on Thursday night, that'll make the school run interesting on Friday!
latest report
@MeMyselfandI, I will look out for you - in fact I have just been standing watching the cars come quite slowly down the hill.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy