Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2014/2015

Poster: A snowHead
ps - Morzine have moved their opening date forward to Dec 13th.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Chatel Snow, Crikey!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Chatel Snow, @under a new name, I saw that today too, they must be feeling optimistic snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Chatel Snow, Thats jolly good news! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Its not a hard and fast opening date, its an opportunity to open a handful of lifts for the weekend. Avoriaz arare will be open the weekend before, last year grand terche at 1000m opened on the first weekend of December! Some snow is better than no snow
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It would appear that the Chatel opening weekend has been put back to the 6/7 December - as the 28/29 November dates have now been erased from the tourist office website. Hardly surprising if that is the case, with the forecast for exceptionally mild weather over the next few days.

Some photos and a report from Linga today where there was about 40cm at the telecabine station at 1776m.
http://www.chatelweb.com/chatel_snow_report.php
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@matteevan90,
Quote:

Some snow is better than no snow

depends what's underneath. Soft, smoothed alpine meadow (lower down, e.g. Grande Turche) or sharky rocks and boulders (e.g. Avoriaz). 40cms isn't much if all it does is disguise the rock sharks.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Damn! I was hoping for a slide on 29/30. Checked Chatel.com this morniong and it was still showing opening for w/e 29/30.

I'll have to focus on apartment fettling and just have a trundle up to Super Chatel in my running kit to see what is going on. And then head for the Christmas market in Mulhouse a day early!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi @DJL, The link I have seen with the 6/7 on is this one http://info.chatel.com/dates-et-horaires-d-ouverture.html - does it still say 29/30 anywhere else on their site?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Chatel Snow, is there anywhere that you know that I could view a decent village map online? I have seen the tourism office one but it is small and I am unable to enlarge it.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi @northantsred, Do you mean a street map type thingy?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@northantsred, Have a look at this page - both the winter practical guide and plan du village have decent downloadable pdf maps ...

http://info.chatel.com/our-brochures.html
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chatel Snow wrote:
ps - Morzine have moved their opening date forward to Dec 13th.

I wonder on what basis. Forecast for 17c in Geneva on Sunday. Just sayin...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's not a full open, just a handful of lifts on pleney sector. Essentially its what they could have done for the weekend last year, if the pleney was anywhere near finished. Skied both the free weekend in grande turche and the arare early opening last season, actually some of my most enjoyable days on snow! Super quiet.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Chatel Snow, thanks. Just what I wanted, on PDF I can enlarge and work locations out.
ski holidays
We have had a huge snow melt since Saturday here in Chatel with the runs above Plaine Dranse now not complete, which is a remarkable turnaround since I hiked up Rochassons on Saturday afternoon ... have posted a report and some photos from a trip up there this morning on the link below.
For any chance of a 6/7 Dec opening, it looks like we may be relying on the arrival of some colder air early next week which could mean the snow making operation begins for the first time this season. Fingers crossed that it does actually arrive!
http://www.chatelweb.com/chatel_snow_report.php
snow report
@Chatel Snow, many thanks for the updates. Head out to morzine on Sunday, start work on the 2nd, not that hopeful of squeezing in any snowtime until the full resort opening at this rate.
snow conditions
Just arrived this afternoon and all is green. 13C at the Pas de Morgins at 15.00

So much for my hopes of a ski - a hike to 2000m would be needed for a snowball fight!

In other news the new lifts look further advanced than I expected with some cables attached and pylons in place.

Going for a run up to Super Chatel tomorrow so will report back just to make sure Chatel Snow hasn't been photoshopping and spoofing us all!
latest report
@DJL, great, have a nice weekend Smile @Chatel Snow has not been photoshopping I've seen the evidence from other sources too Laughing

I will be out on the 19th, possibly before snowHead
ski holidays
Anybody out in avoriaz atm?any signs of the cannons being switched on
ski holidays
MIST! All I see is MIST!
latest report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
MIST! All I see is MIST!

Red?
ski holidays
Well, there's always days spent in a hot tub rolling eyes
snow conditions
Do a hot tub maintenance course @crashd, you will never sit in one again
latest report
Quote:

Laughing Skullie
latest report
The webcams in Les Gets / Morzine / Avoriaz are showing a light dusting of snow on the upper slopes. Hard to tell through the fog how much of the white stuff is frost, but hopefully it means winter is creeping into the area snowHead
snow conditions
I can see the snow line!
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Laughing Skullie

You're not wrong. As it is looks like there might actually be something to slide on next weekend!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Slight dusting this morning - freezing levels are higher than expected today in Chatel - which means I can't see any evidence of snow cannon powering up below 1800m as too mild & humid. May have to wait until the cold front arrives on Monday for some real snow cannon weather (and some natural snow too!)

Our snow forecast is online each morning at, or before 8am. http://www.chatelweb.com/chatel_snow_forecast.php and there is usually a daily update of the snow report at http://www.chatelweb.com/chatel_snow_report.php

Its in the balance whether anything will open next Saturday, though it remains a possibility - current thinking is perhaps it might be delayed a day or two - depending on how the charts for the middle of next week onwards develop. Outlook charts are all generally very encouraging for this part of the world.
ski holidays
I'm off to Morzine/Avoriaz on the 13th, I'm starting to wonder if there is any point bringing my board though...All the snow has disappeared from Accuweather's forecasts, and I've seen others suggest it's still too warm for snow cannons? Can anyone give me any hope?
ski holidays
@adinho85,

http://youtube.com/v/qFcmNu4KdGI
snow report
@adinho85, the week is looking to be significantly colder, allowing snow making and Chamonix meteo hinting at more significant snow fall at the weekend.

Which is all encouraging.
snow conditions
Thank you both, I'll be doing my snow dance to Eddy Grant...
snow conditions
If it doesn't snow soon my husband's iPhone is going in the bin. His hourly snow checks are becoming quite tedious.
ski holidays
Quote:

I'll be doing my snow dance to Eddy Grant...

When I worked in Barbados we and Eddy Grant were the only people on the island with Volvo estates - he used to beep us, which was very cool.
snow conditions
@pam w, giggle!
latest report
Chatel Snow[/b], I am now relying on your forecasts as my primary source of info! - snow-forecast.com is back to its usual trick of constantly forecasting snow in five days' time, which never arrives, and the meteo on the Val D'Illiez website seems to be stuck in April - it has been forecasting minimum temps of 9 and max of 17 for months, and while they were probably accurate in September I think they are a bit high now.

Chatel is only 3kms from Champoussin in a straight line so what's good for Chatel is good for us.
snow report
Nice one @sanman, the snowfall amount forecast is experimental - but you can cross reference the gist of the text forecast with the Chamonix-meteo .com forecast that comes out AFTER our update each morning. Feedback so far has been very positive.

One thing I have noticed in the last few days is that freezing levels have been higher each day than forecast - but we may finally see some sub zero temperatures in resort tonight.

Still no sign of cannon on below 1800m - am going for a hike this pm - not sure where yet.

We have had snow flurries in Chatel all morning - but as those freezing levels look to be a couple of hundred meters above us - then nothing settling here - however it has been nice to see some proper flakes falling - rather than the snizzly drizzly stuff of the weekend.

Looking forward to the main action tonight and maybe - waking up to some snowfall!

Have put all our sliding equipment back up in our mezzanine - in the hope that it changes our fortunes for snow.

ps - I gave up looking at the forecasts on the automated site you mention a while ago - so cannot comment on their accuracy.
snow report
@Chatel Snow,
Quote:

I gave up looking at the forecasts on the automated site you mention

As indeed should I. Not only does it constantly forecast snow that never arrives, it also often completely misses snow that does - more than once I have sat in my apartment looking at their nil snow forecast while being unable to see the road outside for the blizzard.

I'm pretty sure it is entirely computerised - I saw an explanation once on here of why it is basically rubbish but I can't remember the details. Trouble is, while sitting in an office in Nottingham, almost anything will do.
latest report
Update from the Mauve or "Milka" Piste at Super Chatel... http://www.chatelweb.com/chatel_snow_report.php

latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy