Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2014/2015

Poster: A snowHead
I'll most definitely be up tomorrow and Saturday before the scrum begins in earnest...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Nelbert75, @MeMyselfandI, I do understand that, but non the less the fact that they have chosen to prioritise big businesses over small independent travellers is something that will not be forgotten. It has reminded me big time, why I liked taking the caravan and making only last minute decisions about where or when I went. This is the first time in over 30 years that I have booked somewhere in advance that has not been at over 1800m. I doubt I will ever do it again, and certainly not in the PDS. Signed grumpy old women lol
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

The whole not being able to buy a lift pass for Avoriaz even though we will be resident in Morzine over Xmas is a real put off for ever returning to the Portes Du Soliel.

I agree and would hesitate to book in the PDS earlier than mid/late Jan ever again.

Quote:

Nothing to stop you buying online.

@Nadenoodlee, you cannot buy online. The system is closed or full.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@caravanskier I hope you get some skiing in and make the best of your holiday; I'd feel the exact same if I was in your place.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pamski wrote:
At least back in 1989-90 not everyone was glued to webcams, websites etc the whole time so perhaps less stressful. We used to look at the temperatures on the back of the Daily Telegraph for Munich, Innsbruck and Salzburg and take a bit off. Then we used to use a phone line where you had to listen through to wherever you were going....

Ah yes, now your talking Very Happy

I remember in one of those years back then getting the TO coach from Munich and driving down through these lovely green hills in Austria, admiring the view, wondering when we would get to the snowy mountains and then the coach stopped and the rep says "here we are at Ellmau"

The whole of the Ski Welt (and perhaps Tirol) was being bussed to Sheffau to get the old red eggs up to the 3 icey/muddy pistes that were technically open. A classic holiday that me and the gang still remember fondly but then of course we were 19 Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
For the record- you could buy online. Clearly now all sold.

It's a poo-poo situation but it's not their fault- it's the weather.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Nelbert75, Thank you. This is the first year ever, since I had my 3 children that we have been without them for Xmas, or skiing with out them either. We have never stayed somewhere where other people do the cooking and cleaning, I was looking forward to that, but now I am wondering how I will occupy my time. I actually like cooking ...... anyone in Morzine want a cook for a week Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can Anyone recommend somewhere else to ski.... is Tignes a good place to go at the moment??
i think i will go there, if theres nothing in les gets, and avoriaz wont let us ski there.

Shouldve gone to scotland, especially after the row ive had with the ferry people today. Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Nelbert75 - they've not confirmed what time the passes go on sale, but I hope our bad luck for next week is close to bottoming out!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh FFS, let's all blame PDS, eh?? They've got feck all open and they've got no snow, but unbelievable the amount on whining on here because they're trying to limit access. Anyone who knows the area will know the Prodains and Ardent car parks are chaotic this time of year with good snow, never mind the limited conditions this year. You think they take these decisions lightly?? Livelihoods depend on the next 2 weeks. You book early and take your chance. Plenty of other things to do other than ski - disappointing, but remember how lucky we all are to be spending Christmas and/or new year in the mountains.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
And btw, last year on Boxing Day, with plenty of snow and pretty much the full area open, there were 1.5hr+ queues to get the bus back from ardent, parking was so back the road was blocked, and closest I've seen to fighting to get on the buses. They HAVE to limit access somehow otherwise it'd be carnage.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dashed, Well yes, lets make the PDS take responsibility for decisions they make. Most of us have to do that! No one can be blamed for the lack of snow but anyone can be held accountable for the decisions they make! I know how difficult it can be in the Prodains car park, and many other such similar situations, and if you lose out because a decision is made in favour of another group, and your holiday (that you have worked hard all year for) may be spoilt as a result you are likely to feel disgruntled.

Yes its one of those 1st world issues, it is one of those situations where 'big business' 'wins' by financial clout over just about everyone else. I am stating a reality, not whining. Nonetheless there is commercial reality in recognising that not all ski resort business comes through TO`s. If PDS want to create that public perception that, of course, is their choice. Independent travellers can then make their own decisions about where to head for in future.

Yes we are lucky to be able to spend Xmas in the Alps, we are lucky to have food on our tables every day, I can not right the whole worlds problems can you?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Dashed
user

remember how lucky we all are to be spending Christmas and/or new year in the mountains

Certainly doesn't work that way for me. I would rather be at home than sitting in a restaurant looking at the green grass thinking what I am missing out on. I look forward to cold, snowy mountain holidays every year and live to go boarding. Going hiking and cycling just doesn't cut it for me. People are gutted and they have every right to be, its nobody's fault and just rotten luck and we have all been there at least once in our lives, but to expect people to just smile, be chirpy and enjoy the green grass is exceptionally naive.

I am not due to go for another 7 weeks so it is not effecting me, however I am gutted for the people who are paying a lot of money to do something they love and I get their frustration and disappointment although it is unavoidable.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone know if there's any mtb hire still available in Morzine? Looking at that as an alternative now. Pity can't swap my ski carriage for bike carriage
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Seems like you can't take bikes on the lifts during the winter so the riding is limited to the lower areas. Apparently there's a flat trail by the river and some more stuff a drive down the valley, but it didn't sound to promising.
latest report
@dsoutar,
Quote:

Anyone know if there's any mtb hire still available in Morzine?

I don't know - but some enterprising shops may get some out. I would imagine that it would be quite hard to do as at the end of each season then they put all the relevant equipment away - the bikes all take up quite some space.
latest report
The decision to sell day passes for the next day with no details on what time they go on sale or how many will be available will undoubtedly limit numbers from outside the immediate area. It'll be interesting to see how much the logistics of this will mess up our holiday. We're arriving on Saturday and already assuming we won't be skiing on Sunday. I'm resigned to standing around in queues, but will be gutted if we can't ski at all.
ski holidays
Hello all, long time lurker but thought I'd share a bit of info.

I have pre booked full area PDS passes for Xmas week and beyond, booked through Les Gets (SAGETS) website and wasn't sure whether these would be valid for access to Avoriaz due to the statement from SERMA. This statement says that only prebooked passes made on the Avoriaz online booking system will be valid. Similarly, Les Gets are saying that online bookings will be refunded (doesn't say whether PDS pass or local M/LG).

Anyhow, spoke with Avoriaz office this morning who assured me that if you have a prebooked PDS pass, no matter which valley office you bought it through, you will have access to Avoriaz whilst the limited access is in place. Didn't ask about PDS season pass but would assume, following the above logic, that these would be valid too.

Now just the parking / bus situation to deal with at Ardent / Prodains!! Hope this helps in this confusing situation.
snow conditions
@airsine, With luck you may be able to buy online the day before ...... http://www.skipass-avoriaz.com/home.html

Me??............ I'm about to cancel my BA flights, transfers, and accommodation ............ I've seen the webcams, looked at the 6 day forecast from UK/French weather, read the "ring fencing" for Avoriaz lift pass purchases, and seen there is no snow in Les Gets/Grande Terche. With the cancellations I'll used the technically "saved" money and book something in February.

Sadly, I'll most likely be divorced during the Xmas period............ Skullie
ski holidays
@5RED, ... it was common in Austria quite a few years back to "ring fence" the purchasing of lift passes and limit these to accommodations based in their resorts............ This season appears to have exceptional circumstances for lack of snow, and resorts (not just PDS) have to rationalise otherwise pandemonium on the lifts, queues, and pistes. Ever had a 2 hour wait to catch the gondola back down? Shocked
snow report
If Avoriaz wanted to make money out of this they could be raking it in. It really is a question of safety and to achieve that they have had to create a hierarchy, which sucks if you're not on it.

We all have season passes but I won't be going up, same with a lot of people I know around here and that's not just because of the snow conditions it's to try and make it easier for people who are on holiday.
ski holidays
@MeMyselfandI, Smile that's very sporting. I agree with multiple previous posters; the Avoriaz authorities are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

A free-for-all would be an absolute shambles. It's going to be bad enough as it is. It would be irresponsible of them to throw it open to all. I also agree that it is very hard on those who haven't made the cut for whatever reason. But the underlying reason for it is the lack of snow, which of course they don't control.

We are due out on Jan 3rd, Easyjet flights so non-cancellable. Looks like we will be hoping for snow to fall while we are there.
ski holidays
@sanman, With Easyjet you can change the flights to another day, for a charge of course, so it might be worth cutting your losses. Not all airlines allow this on the cheapest tickets so fair play to EJ for this.
latest report
I really don’t think it is the fault of the lift companies. They will be doing the best they can with the white stuff they have got.

We’re in the same boat as @sanman, but driving out on the 3rd and I think we will probably go for it unless there has been nothing fresh before then.

Hope those out there for next week have a Happy Christmas even if the snow is thin.
ski holidays
[Important Information] Please read all the information below.

➜ With the recent snowfall yesterday, we will be able to open the ski resort of Avoriaz to 90% as of Sunday, December 21! All sectors are open: Arare, Chavanette, Lindarets, Mossettes Proclou / Super Morzine (65 km of slopes).

➜ ATTENTION: To ensure the safety of our customers in the ski area, we need to restrict access.
In order of priority, customers will be served:
- Presales made on the site: www.skipass-avoriaz.com
- Presales made by the hosts of the Avoriaz
- Presales made by tour operators
- Presales made by Avoriaz Ski Schools, Morzine and Montriond

Then Avoriaz ski packages will go on sale the day before for the next day from Saturday, December 20 to Sunday, December 21 at different selling point of SERMA (Super-Morzine, Ardent, Prodains, Pistes, Centre Avoriaz, Elinka). The maximum number of ski passes sold will be 4 per person. Only day ski passes will be sold.

➜ The PORTES DU SOLEIL connections will be closed.

➜ Depending on snow conditions the ski area, this operation can be modified.
ski holidays
thanks for that tip @Whitters, will think about it. @DJL, we usually drive as well! But this time as there are only three of us, we thought it would be nice to fly, oh well.

I am a little curious how all this will actually work. It's all very well saying only people with pre-sold passes can ski. But will everybody know that? What's to stop everyone trying to get there anyway? Some people won't know, and there are always some people who think the rules don't apply to them. The road congestion could be so bad that even people with passes can't get there.

Are the police going to set up checkpoints on approach roads to check people's ski passes? And where can they do that without the checkpoints making it worse? I hate to think what it could be like.

Edit: the hyperlink to the rules was put in automatically by the forum. I didn't mean those rules!
snow report
Just got back from Avoriaz today, and was skiing what was open yesterday.

To be honest they had no choice as there was very little open and it rained all afternoon degrading what was there.
If they allowed unlimited access it would be impossible...........as is, they will struggle to cope.

You really can't squeeze in the number of people they are expecting this week and to be honest, ramming to many people onto a small area would not be my idea of a pleasant holiday.
Even with the restriction in place it's going to be a real bun-fight.

It is a real shame, but the only guilty party is the weather...............
snow conditions
Anyone who is in the area tomorrow night Source Magazine has 300 tickets to the ice hockey to give away, always a great night (and there's a bar there). Just email them on info@morzinesourcemagazine.com for your tickets.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Makes for dismal reading................... http://www.avoriaz.com/en/skiing/all-about-skiing/operating-lifts
Sad
snow report
skimastaaah wrote:
Makes for dismal reading................... http://www.avoriaz.com/en/skiing/all-about-skiing/operating-lifts
Sad

That was today. Tomorrow will be a completely different picture. They were testing loads of lifts and there was work going on all over the resort to cover thinner areas. Looks like there is going to be some overnight snow too, which will help as it was very icy today.

From what I saw, they are trying very hard to get as many lifts and pistes open as possible. Can't ask for much more....apart from low temperatures and a huge dump of snow wink
latest report
@Nelbert75, I was going to stay at St Jean, which is outside the Avoriaz/Morzine communes. St Jean and Les Gets don't have skiable snow at the moment. As such it was going to be a bit of a battle to get to actually buy the lift passes on a daily basis seeing as the lift passes are now not being sold online, and priority is to local (Avoriaz) lodgings, TO's, and Ski Schools.

Being at the bottom of the pecking order makes for a dastardly ski jolly.

The Amara webcam on a time-lapse shows the gradual thaw of today, conditions need new snow. Best of luck to all skiers in the PDS over the next week.

Such a shame really as myself and Mrs Skimastaaah were really looking forward to a decent ski holiday in France for the first time in a few years. So maybe later in the season when the conditions allow.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 19-12-14 16:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
That's a shame. I genuinely do feel terrible for all those in your position. Did you scrap the whole trip?
snow report
@Nelbert75, Sadly yes. My flights were BA so I can cancel okay, my transfers were refundable, as was my accommodation (friends apartment), so all is not lost.
snow report
skimastaaah wrote:
@Nelbert75, Sadly yes. My flights were BA so I can cancel okay, my transfers were refundable, as was my accommodation (friends apartment), so all is not lost.

This is what scares me for the season, I have rented my place to quite a few friends. Could be a disaster finance wise.
latest report
@Chattonmill, I have some hotelier friends in the Arlberg who have had nothing but cancellations over the past few days. The knock-on effect is going to be felt especially by those in the ski-business who need to generate income over the festive season so as to tide them over to the February season. They are fairly "wealthy" and can take a slight hit. However, it will be the small independent TO's and individual apartment owners who may just be hit relatively hardest. I just hope the snow arrives to balance out the season overall for them. Best wishes! Blush
ski holidays
And the PDS had pretty awful wet weather this summer, certainly from the middle of July till late August - I don't know how much difference that made to hoteliers, cafes etc.
snow report
I am lucky that I can ride it out, as long as I have three or four weeks that don't cancel I cover my costs.
There are plenty out there who run a very fine line and this sort of weather can see them under.
Be kind to your ski hosts, it's not their fault!
snow report
4C and raining in Morzine. It has been hosing it down all night. There's a snow line up there somewhere.
ski holidays
Raining here in Champéry 5 degrees at 8am, webcams are showing yesterday (unsurprisingly). Off up on
Cabin with my bike and dog to see for myself. We have cable car and Mossettes chair open for walkers to access restaurants. ODT running trips to various places like Cailler Chocolate museum, Montreux Christmas market, St Bernard Dogs museum and Chateau Chillon. Very sad situation but trying to stay positive for people arriving today
snow conditions
@summer, that's dire. No skiing in Les Crosets at all?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy