Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2014/2015

Poster: A snowHead
My OH says that he thinks that the bubble lifts everywhere should be opened up - gratis - as a sign of goodwill by the various resorts so at least people could get up, use the restaurants, and go for good long hikes everywhere. Seems like a good idea to me.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hmmm, I've got everything crossed for my trip to Les Gets on 3 Jan, this is due to be my first skiing for 5 yrs, and the first time for two small ones (age 3 and 4). I've booked passes, ESF lessons for them, and ski hire all in advance, need to check and see if the worst happens that isn't money completely down the drain.

We're driving, so I guess we could try and get to places that have the snow in the local area, but with the little ones it might get a bit complicated and stressful. As someone says above there's plenty to do in the town, we have a pool in our apartment block (which will prob be very busy with fewer snow activities) and we can do ice skating.

However, the way I see it is whatever happens, the best thing for us to do is not worry, relax, and enjoy a family holiday together in the mountains.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rondelle, not that it will be any emothional compensation, but in the even that the conditions haven't improved by Jan 3 the resorts, ski schools have been very proactive in cancelling bookings and refunding cash.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's snowing in Les Gets at the moment.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@MeMyselfandI, I wondered whether to mention it or not! it is gently settling.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't breathe on it, it may melt!
10 days until I arrive, so here's hoping it snows until then snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I won't mention the forecast 10C in a few days then. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@rondelle, future forecasts can change very quickly, especially in the mountains, but the current 'out the window' report is that it's snowing quite a bit and settling in the centre of Les Gets

We'll see if it's still here in a week I guess.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just down from avoriaz were it is snowing lightly but it just raining in morzine
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don't I know it! I know I haven't been for a few years but I tie myself in knots looking at snow reports every time, and it's usually fine!! It's bad enough now the Daily Mail has started to join in with the doom & gloom too.

I'm not going to look at the forecast any more anyway, I think I'll just leave it till the day before so I know what I need to pack as I want to enjoy my Xmas at home!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is snow up there - http://m.webcam-hd.com/lesgets/lesgets_chavannes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
All as per the forecast. I'm not sure a couple of inches on the Chavanne is going to cut it somehow. 0C isotherm forecast to rise as the day goes on.

A big meeting scheduled for tomorrow between the Ski schools and Serma, the Avoriaz lift company, to discuss Xmas opening plans.
It seems they are going to limit the number of passes sold each day. Those who have already booked and paid online are guaranteed to be first in the queue. Lots of operators reporting cancellations of bookings, with guests cutting their losses.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snow line has dropped into morzine now,but the snow is still very light
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's been snowing in Chatel for quite a while now, they've even had the snow ploughs out Shocked which was a welcome sight to say the least.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi, Another xmas traveller heading out to Les Gets Friday who appreciates the help posted to date. We have a car and although generally Avoriaz would be the obvious backup it's not looking great there either and I wondered if anyone knows how far away Chatel is and would this be a better option? We are all competent just trying to put together some sort of action plan!!
latest report
And many thanks from another Xmas traveller! This one heading for Morzine. Everything crossed for more snow, rather than the warm and rain currently forecast
latest report
@silver246, The top of Avoriaz is higher than the top of Chatel, hence why parts of Avoriaz are now open and Chatel is not. While Les Gets - Chatel is fairly close as the crow files, its a long way to drive, so not really a better option for you than Avoriaz, as the conditions currently stand..
snow conditions
Guess I'll join the millions who descend on Avoriaz then, unless I can persuade em all to stay at home!! Thanks BB
latest report
Chamonix is an hour away from Les Gets and a bit higher so might fare better over the next couple of days
snow conditions
BergenBergen wrote:
@silver246, The top of Avoriaz is higher than the top of Chatel,

Whisper it, but there's very little difference, if you check the heights of the highest lifts, not the heights of the mountains. I think there's about 100m in it.

That said, Avoriaz village is much higher than than Chatel, 1800m compared with 1200m, which is why Avoriaz has opened earlier than Chatel this year. In snowier Novembers/Decembers it's usually the other way around.

I agree that from Les Gets, Avoriaz would be a better choice than Chatel on Saturday, especially as Chatel is not certain to open even on the 20th. Chatel's tourist office has today taken down its website notice that it will open on Saturday.

Whereas Chatel was scheduled to open for weekends on 29 November and then everyday from 13 Dec, conditions permitting, which they weren't. Les Gets to Chatel is a good hour by road.
latest report
Its -1.2 now in Les Gets, the snow plough must have been up our road while we have been out this afternoon as a big ridge to go over to get into our driveway, still snowing now and the snow down to, and beyond, the bridge on the way down to Taninges. Cars all creeping about.
ski holidays
Well I just came down from Avoriaz and it was certainly an improving picture this afternoon. Snowing heavily as I left, rocks now mostly covered and pistes much improved. Snow in Morzine, which wasn't expected either as far as I know. Fingers crossed the incoming warm front isn't as warm, or wet, as predicted.
ski holidays
Out to Morzine on Saturday for a week. We have a transfer already arranged from GVA but given the total lack of snow and the forecast of generally high temps and / or rain I am now debating about hiring a car. What would people consider the nearest / best resorts to head for a day or two's relief ?

Alternatively what's the off-piste like high up ?'m not expecting powder but how skiable is it and does anyone have any suggestions ? How lift served is it ? I've been debating getting skins for a couple of years; would that be an option worth considering as I have a touring setup ?
snow report
@snoozeboy, Im surrpised by that, but you learn something new everyday. Top of Les Grandes Combes feels a lot higher than Cornebois but maybe that down to the view back down to Avoriaz
snow conditions
@dsoutar - based on my replies and other info for me it's Avoriaz first then Chamonix - 3rd 4th and 5th choices are the bars in town. if you don't have a car then Avoriaz it is.
snow report
There's talk on the Chamonix thread about some skiing open on the Grand Montets but not sure about the other areas yet - lifts open just for sightseeing/walking.

@Pamski, a "big ridge" to go over sounds rather good! snowHead
latest report
@BergenBergen, but from the top of the Cornebois, IIRC you can see Lake Geneva. It's either the Cornebois or the Chaux Rosees or the Rochassons, one of those, can't remember which.

A lot of the myth is because of the PdS map, where Avoriaz is stated as 1800 to 2466, 2466 being the height of the Hauts Forts. However, the Grandes Combes goes to 2255m, which is about 150m higher than the Cornebois lift.
snow report
A bit more vertical off the Grandes Combes I guess – all the way down to Prodains if legs will stand it in one go (mine won’t!). That is probably about 1100m of vertical.

From Cornebois to Pre La Joux is around 850m.

It is probably more about perception thatn actual height difference though village at 1800m is significantly higher
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Much improved picture in Avoriaz this evening - didn't get up to top but lindarets had at least 20cm fresh snow and the village centre was looking very white.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 17-12-14 22:11; edited 2 times in total
latest report
@dsoutar,

There was off piste skiing in November but now there is little or none. My skins have been gathering dust since then. There is little snow other than artificial.

Chamonix only appear to be opening the GM. It will be even more rammed than Avoriaz. There will be some touring around there though.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 17-12-14 19:08; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@crashd,

That's good news
snow report
Hey just thought I'd add its often not snowing about now it snows between Christmas and new year hopefully will get cooler and snow, fortunately I'm not going to be out there till middle of jan. However I hope it snows soon for all who is going this season,
latest report
Im not worries, i went out in march and there was no snow in les gets, i just sat in the pub until the snow appeared a few hours later. Smile
ski holidays
Pamski wrote:
My OH says that he thinks that the bubble lifts everywhere should be opened up - gratis - as a sign of goodwill by the various resorts so at least people could get up, use the restaurants, and go for good long hikes everywhere. Seems like a good idea to me.

PMB area sent out an email today -they are opening a few chairs and a telecabine for walkers. They are charging though IIRC €9 return €16 adult day pass (the lifts are only open 10-15.30)
snow report
Does anyone have any idea if the Dec 20th opening of Les Gets has been officially postponed?

The website currently says : "Because of the poor snow conditions, the online sale of ski passes are not currently available for the week of December 20 to 26, 2014."

But what happens if snow/temps improve?
snow report
Its raining.

REALLY REALLY RAINING.

I wish I had better news folks - i'm doing a non-stop snow dance. The French neighbours have never seen anything like this in 40 years apparently. I heard a rumour that they may delay opening - the pleney looked a pretty sorry site this morning.
ski holidays
@Nadenoodlee, Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad must be quite disheartening. Only going end of Jan but feeling for everybody out there now.
snow conditions
Raining and dripping in Les Gets as well. We are out to help someone celebrate a big birthday today at lunchtime so looking forward to something cheerful.
snow conditions
Just down from avoriaz were it has been raining all morning,a lot of snow has fallen from yesterday so hopefully it doesn't ruin it too much for the people arriving this weekend,I personlly cannot see any chance at all of morzine or les gets opening this weekend as there is literally no snow at all,at the minute avoriaz still only has a few runs open
snow report
@Louis, I'm ok because we're here all year round now and as Mr NN keeps saying 'we moved to live not to ski' but it is the people who spend a helluva lot of money and only have a week a year that I feel bad for. Also - WHAT THE HELL am I going to do with guests!?!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy