Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2014/2015

Poster: A snowHead
Friday was fun with some awesome skiing conditions up in Avoriaz. Looking out the window it looks like next week is going to be brilliant with some new snow.

Here is a little video of the fun we had to finish off the week!
Good Friday was Indeed Good! from PDS Academy
https://vimeo.com/124103157
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jjc, what terrific little skiers! snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Went out all day yesterday in Avoriaz - WET in the morning and pretty poor vis on the lower slopes .- some fantastic snow including the two blacks from top of Arare down to Prodains. Then popped to Chez Flo for lunch and came out to POWDER. Spent the rest of the afternoon skiing freshies Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Nadenoodlee, I'm impressed. We lasted until about 12.30 before the lack of vis, the rain, and the slush got the better of us.

Driving down the mountain this morning it was clear that a lit of snow had fallen overnight. The snow line reaching right down to Morzine, although that amounted to no more than the very faintest dusting on well insulated roofs.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nothing you add except I hate the lot of you, I'm back in the UK.
Season over, knee knackered, although not ski based.
Roll on next season, and actually skiing with Nadenoodlee..... snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Minus 6C tonight at 11.30 so that bodes well for the morning and will help to preserve the snow. Lovely sight this evening looking over to Mt Chery with the trees all white.... sorry @Chattonmill,
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arrived back from Avoriaz yesterday. We had a great week - yes the weather was not the kindest but at least we were not skiing ankle deep slush. To be able to ski fresh powder two days in a row was great. We certainly were out skiing both morning and afternoon every day. The mountains are what they are and everyone in my group was of the opinion that we would rather forgo the sun to be able to ski such good snow.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And Mt Chery was absolutely wonderful this morning - we were over there till about 1.30 and only home then as two little girls needed feeding and lunch on our balcony in the sun was very tempting. Last day for MC - what a way to go.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Had a great morning this morning - even though we've both been a little under the weather (self caterers in the chalet means we've had time to relax - that's when you get got!) and I've been struggling with a knee injury the last few weeks and not been out in over 10 days (!!) So just to be outside was great

The cold breeze is keeping things fresh and the piste firm... great skiing to be found in places, especially in the days sweet spot as the top layer softens and it feels like skiing on silk Smile B-E-A-UTIFUL I have to say snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another beautiful sunny day in Les Gets today - we skied the Arbis three times before anyone else appeared and then over to Nyon before back to Les Gets and eventually met up with our daughter and the two babes who had come up in the red egg. We enjoyed coffee, wine, lunch.... at the VIP chalet at the Chavannes while she took off for a bit of ski exercise. She saw, or rather heard a very nasty accident in the Rosta bowl as she was going up the Grains d'Or lift. Boarder and skier came together apparently and by the time she came down the Myrtilles the boarder was still lying down, eventually help arrived but she thought it might well have ended up a helicopter job. Hope not...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gorgeous day in Les Gets, it's shaping up to be a gift of a final week of the season. Snow is beautiful, sky is blue and empty lifts abound.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Did Saturday to Tuesday over Easter. As the weekend approached we thought we had gambled and lost, but it bucketed snow all day Saturday; Sunday was loose snow and poor vis; but Monday dawned bright, cold and clear over perfectly groomed pistes, a little icy in a few places and it was "over" by 2pm but pistes (Swiss side) were quiet and we had a great day; and Tuesday was the same, possibly slightly warmer, but only slightly, and even quieter. Skied til 1 30 and finished off with a long lunch outside in the sun at the Poussin in Champoussin.

For two years in a row, the last day of my season has been the best Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Had a totally excellent adventure today - although if it wasn't for still being run down we'd have skied more! we decided to head out a little later this morning as it was icy early yesterday - for me the decision was right as it wasn't long before things started to soften nicely, we didn't ski too much if i'm honest ... as stated the knee isn't right yet and I don't want to push my luck - being run down means I can't catch my breath fast enough and actually started seeing black spots in my vision when I picked up the pace!! Shocked

so we headed over to Chavenette and had a drink in the sun for a while Very Happy then skied back to Chatel around 2 ish - no problem with the soft snow by then as we'd given our planks a lovely coating of spring wax which kept the glide going nicely (especially on v. short turns) when others seemed to be struggling with Velcro on their bases.

Back home for sun on the balcony and planting vegetable seeds for summer
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sunny all day again in Les Gets - my OH and daughter skied this morning, as usual Chamossiere followed by Nyon first thing - they said that the Tetes lift seemed very slow starting today - we nip up the poma on the Chavannes and along the Choucas which works well. Back home by about 12 and we drove up the Praz de Lys and enjoyed lunch in the sun where the little one could happily toboggan, and have a little ski.

@MeMyselfandI,
Quote:

Gorgeous day in Les Gets

wasn't it just - OH spotted you when we were on the Nauchets lift mid morning.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Today, we decided to head up Super Chatel - now the Gabelou link has closed we knew it would be quite, but I was truly shocked how quite it was up there... there were times where there was actually no one else in sight - I felt like squillionaire who'd paid for private use of the resort!!! We headed up about 10.30 which was a little too late really, but I wasn't fussed (what with the knee n all) even the liftie gave us an odd look getting in the gondola Shocked

First runs we headed over to Chalet Neuf and enjoyed the still freshly pisted corduroy, after a while we headed back over the front and skied under the Gondola ... again on freshly pisted runs!! it was softening up by this time and needing a rest we stopped at the Portes du soleil restaurant for coffees in the sun - we were the only people there!!!!!!!

Although things have started to close (things that really should be open - Morclan, Chermeu) there is still some very enjoyable skiing to be had... we were home by 2pm thanks to an efficient bus service and a well timed descent Laughing

Back home for beers, sunbathing and book reading on the balcony Madeye-Smiley
latest report
@Mountain Addiction,
Quote:

Back home for beers, sunbathing and book reading on the balcony

that's the ticket - I will be interested to hear from you next week what is open as we have been Les Gets/Morzine bound for the last three weeks with our daughter and small girls staying so I have been lucky to get a couple of hours out most days but they go home on Saturday evening and we have a few more days here ourselves.

Over to the Chamossiere again this morning as it opened - the liftie said to us that it was very icy and looked at me doubtfully... so I was glad to report back for our next run that the it was a bon piste ... but our daughter went over there about 12 and the lift was closed. Not sure the reason why.

The drag lift up the Vorosses which is what we are using for access now as a couple of minutes in the car was decidedly sketchy at the bottom at that was at 9 a.m but fine further up. The Tulipe and Sauteneille in great shape - in fact the piste preparation now is really good and they are working hard.
ski holidays
Just back from four days in Avoriaz and conditions were as posted above. The skiing up towards Chavanette (sp?) first thing was superb.

But I was amazed at the number of people getting blood wagon'd off the mountain. We took a late lunch and sat in the sun most days watching people hammer it down the red run into Plaine Dranse. The slopes were busy, the snow getting heavy/sticky and people were skiing far quicker than their ability (in my very humble opinion) so why do it? Watched numerous collisions where the uphill skier/boarder was so clearly in the wrong...

Sorry about that little rant because we did have a really good trip, got freshies on Monday morning and a lovely tan.
ski holidays
@Sunshine81, because they are utter muppets.
snow report
Yes, @Sunshine81, we like to stop for coffee at a great little nook (that shall remain nameless) in Plaine Dranse where we bask in the sunshine and watch crazy fools straight line it down the mountain rolling eyes

we like to say the French (IME it's mostly the French who ski like this, though not always, but mostly) have a Dange-o-meter of 0 - 99, which all the same value as 1 = alive, if you reach 100 it means dead.

So they hack it round the mountain because they came up for the day from the valleys etc and want to clock the miles and the speed on those stupid apps and 'make the most' of their day here. Not realising how dangerous they're actually being (please refer to the Dange-o-meter), and disregard the fact that you might not want to be KO'd by someone skiing out of control in to you even though the DH skier doesn't have eyes in the back of their heads and couldn't possibly know the uphill person was skiing like a fool (a thing I have told many a crazy person)

Even though we are fast, in control skiers I can mostly spot a nutter a mile off and have learnt to adjust the way I ski so I can avoid collisions at all costs when I have taken the time at the top of the run to fully assess who is approaching, entering and already skiing on the run, plus a quick glance around at the lift queue to notice any potential straightliners and let them go first before I drop in to the piste in question... Little Angel
snow conditions
Just posted the following message in 'The Piste' section - but realised that this might be the better place to stick it!

Thinking about a last minute trip to Avoriaz between 22 - 26 April (looks like the last day of skiing is 26th April?) but I wondered how the resort will be running this late.

Was thinking of popping my little one into lessons - I assume ESF will run classes run to the bitter end?
Also, I assume the last days of the season will be operate as normal, rather than them running a skeleton lift service?

Been to Avoriaz a few times in April, but never this late - so interested how it all works.
snow report
Normally a few things do close during the last week or so of the season - it's hard to say exactly what because the conditions can be variable, there is normally a decent amount open though. This is reflected in the lift pass prices (from 28th March the price decreased from 242.50 e's to 206 e's (for adult 6 days PDS)

You're best to get in touch with ESF re lessons (if that's who you want to use) as it'll probably depend how many others there are who wish to do group lessons (again variable)

The conditions though are entirely dependant on the weather, and although i'd love to sit here and say ''it'll be fantastic'' I wouldn't be telling the truth as I (nor anyone) can give you definitive answer - we never sell the very last week of the season even though Chatel will remain open until the 26th April as well, this is mainly because we want to enjoy some time to ourselves without working, and consider that our holiday.

Happy skiing
latest report
Just back from Chatel side today - Pre La Joux and Plaine Dranse area all open - quite soft by 11 going down to bottom of Linga gondola - run back from top of Rochassons into Lindarets was better than expected at 12. Lindarets Express lift now closed - use Prolays from Lindarets to Avoriaz. We chose to download to Ardent car park although that run down at 12 today looked much better than yesterday - but that was just after 2 yesterday.
snow conditions
Had an excellent day today even though we didn't get out skiing til around 11am (after working in chalet then late drop downs), however i'm annoyed that the Swiss side is now closed... Evil or Very Mad as conditions were fine on Saturday when last over there... but to my surprise, Mossettes was open, even though the swiss side was closed meaning the only run open accessible from the top of Moss was Abricotine... fair play to the frenchies as that's alotta lift for just 1 piste, especially now Cubore is closed (probably because of Off piste risk more than anything ) but it makes getting around a little annoying and we made the mistake of getting on Brochaux (how slow??) instead of just skiing back to lindarets and getting on Prolays Skullie

Took Intrets up and watched the kids ripping up slalom... it was surprising how icy it was up the top of Avoriaz really, it hadn't begun to soften up by gone midday. Add to the gangs of seasonaires now coming up from morzine with a serious amount of posing and not a lot of turning going on, it was a bit hairy - so headed to chavenette to enjoy drinks in the sun Very Happy then skied back as needed lunch before arvo pick ups

Good day
ski holidays
We also had an excellent morning - very slight cloud cover - up the Prolays and then down to take the French Mossettes and three times down the Abricotine before we came across anyone else on it. Great long run which we normally only ever use as a way back to Lindarets and a change to ski it in its own right. Shame about Cubore being closed. The Swiss Mossettes lift was running on and off but no doubt for some type of maintenance. We made a bit of a mistake as we decided to go and see the new Proclou lift as we just hadn't happened to be over that way at all this year - so a lot of weaving very carefully in and out of numerous snakes of ESF classes going on in that area. Down the Combe a Foret to the Ardent gondola, via coffee at the Ferme, and then a quick nip up the Chaux Fleurie and a little ski around Plaine Dranse before back down to Ardent - drink at the lake at Montriond and home for lunch and a bit more sorting out and the start of packing up. Very hot here this afternoon.
ski holidays
Currently getting back to normality back here in Blighty Sad

Didn't post really last week as was just too busy packing, cleaning and trying to eek out my last days of skiing for the season!

Tuesday was particularly good IIRC it was colder and the weekend top up had been nice. Helped by a last lovely lunch at La Terrasse and a late ski back over around 4.30 when conditions were surprisingly really still good. The rest of the week got hotter. And my last run of the season on Friday afternoon through the slush back to PLJ car park might just go down as one of my worst runs of the season Laughing

Had an absolutely fantastic season, not entirely sure how I will settle back to life here. Managed to ski 82 days out of 98 available Toofy Grin Only regret is that I didn't do it sooner! Currently plotting possible ways to repeat it Toofy Grin

Thank you Chatel for the best 4 months ever Very Happy
snow report
We headed out today - after waving bye bye to our last guests of the season. I believe the Linga will be closing today, and Pre la joux chair has now closed - I think that's because there's no snow left down there to get your skis on etc - pierre longue still running fine though. There's still enough snow to keep the link open in to Avoriaz. But general snow depth is getting very thin in a lot of places now.

Conditions aren't great - the 'snow' is now very saturated and heavy, very difficult to plough through for extended periods - in fact, we only managed 3 runs ... chiefly because my knee still isn't right and it'd be stupid to carry on when the voice in my head & the voice in my knee is saying stop.

Mr Mountain Addiction will be heading up first thing tomorrow, hopefully with some better news, but judging by the weather forecast for this week i'd say any skiing is a bonus. We'll be visiting the UK slightly earlier this year as we have a few urgent matters to attend to, normally i'd be very upset to be leaving before the season is truly finished but I don't feel like we'll be missing much, so i'm just upset things are ending for the year.
snow conditions
@Mountain Addiction, I heard the same about the conditions now, a big change in just a week Sad

I was very sad to come home last week. Slowly getting resigned to it. Hope your visit to the UK goes well, weathers nice at the moment anyway.

And you have next season to look forward to!!
ski holidays
Mr Mountain Addiction headed out solo today. When he got back he almost didn't want to tell me how good the conditions were up there this morning!!

Combes is now closed, but that doesn't surprise me as people would try to ski down the linga which had its last day yesterday. So he headed over to Avoriaz and up Stade and Arare drag, skied over to Chavenette and Fornet, where conditions were very firm after the re-freeze but softening nicely, after hanging around over there he skied back up Chaux Fleurie and spent the rest of the morning skiing round the lifts we have in Chatel, Cornebois, Rochassons, Chaux de Roses all still running, and very very very quiet as everyone else had gone to Avoriaz, so had the pistes to himself.

a very happy person indeed.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We're back in the UK for a few days now, so can't comment on how things are holding up. But by the time we get back the lifts will be closed and i'll be sad Sad

But we're thinking about the hiking etc for summer Toofy Grin ... it's a shame there's no Summer section on this board as it'd make a great discussion thread to see what people get up to... Mountains aren't just about snow... snowHead
latest report
@Mountain Addiction, just keep posting on here through the summer anyway Toofy Grin All the regulars will read and maybe contribute. When I'm back out I will contribute. There's still a bit of snow chat going on FB which is nice to see Smile I'm currently enjoying the UK weather and have not yet really unpacked, think I'm in denial Laughing
snow conditions
It's a real shock to the system being in the UK... it's so busy. Everywhere. All the time. And I walk in to a room and say 'Bonjour' like that should mean something here, where as it's common place and entirely normal at home!! feeling weird!!!!

Give me trees and mountains any day...
snow report

I'm seeing pictures and hearing reports of dreadful flooding, landslides, road closures in the Abondance valley this weekend. I hope everyone there is ok. Stay safe Smile

Photo here is of the Tour lift in Avoriaz Shocked
latest report
@sarah, Husband is cracking on but it is pretty crap - for a while there was no way out except over Col du corbier or via La Vernaz and Vallee Verte and that was risky. Les Gets is a mess - road between Morz and St Jean went into the river - Avoriaz is a giant lake. Loads of power cuts etc etc.

I saw a stat yesterday that Chamonix (ok down the road) record for rain in May was 51mm, they got 81mm this year. Les Gets gor 190mm Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
@Nadenoodlee, Sad Sad a friend managed to get out this morning just before the road was closed from Chatel down to Thonon. Think one of the routes up/down that side via Chevenoz is now passable again with care.

Makes Manchester rain look quite tame now really Laughing
ski holidays
Yes, weather has been shocking. just on Friday over a 24 hour period there was more than 1 months rainfall (just in that period). However, it has rained continuously since thursday night. Although this much rain would normally only cause a few problems the addition of snow melt has caused serious problems. The river dranse is at levels not seen in at least 50 years, the hydro plant cannot cope with the amount of water and has (i believe) lost its ability to control the volume further down the Dranse. There was flooding in St Gingolph on Lake Geneva and roads in Thonon have been closed due to the water coming too close to the bridges.

Several roads have been eroded from water flow, and there were some road closures in place for fear of landslides. The dranse has breached its banks on the Intermarche road in Chatel and Route Barree is in place.

There were some very concerned faces in the village yesterday, the forecast in showing a small break in the weather on Thursday so hopefully it will give a chance for the river level to drop a little.

I'm always amazed how many people say that Autumn is the time for poor/shocking weather in the Alps, but the truth is Spring is always more so because of melt water, humidity and lots and lots of rain. Autumn generally is on the whole a dry time of year.
snow report
@Mountain Addiction, Sad Sad Sad I've seen all the pictures. Hope no one's suffered damage, I guess there are quite a few properties on that road very close to the Dranse Sad
ski holidays
I know of one who is quite concerned. But everyone else (as far as i know) is alright.

most of the properties are fine, but the ones on the Intermarche road are some of the worst hit, with flooding in places. BUT i've always thought they were flood prone anyway as at certain points the Dranse is actually higher than the road and even a few properties rolling eyes . That part of the river ALWAYS looks like it's gonna burst - this time it did. There has been some 'reinforcement' and divergences put in place along that section BUT we're talking a few boulders and some planks of wood - better than nothing though! and at least they're trying.
latest report
@Mountain Addiction, I know what you mean, I've thought the same about that road. Fingers crossed for a break in the weather so the water level can drop.
snow conditions
All the schools are closed as they think the Lac at Montriond is about to burst its banks. Warning issued from the Mairie this morning didn`t sound to hopeful.
snow report
@Nadenoodlee, that is quite a photo on the Morzine Source FB page of the collapsed road between Carrefour and SJD isn't it. Are you due to be house moving? We were in touch with Ben who looks after our chalet yesterday and I was getting a bit twitchy and he has sent out a note I think to all the chalets that he looks after this morning:

"...over the last few days Les Gets was subject to a huge volume of rain - 190mm in a 24 hour period, along with melting snow, and it is still falling fairly heavily. It made the Regional papers. Much of the cente of town was flooded, some roads have partially collapsed, storm drains have blocked and so on.

Since Friday the situation has become worse further afield in Morzine and down the valleys. The dam at Lac Montriond looks set to break which will be devastating for parts of Montriond and St Jean. Many roads and rail lines are out, power cables gone and so on. Most rivers have burst their banks and there are a lot of new rivers! ....." He had already said that he has checked ours twice and all ok. The photos that are around are incredible.

We have a small lake up the road from us and I wonder what that is like as if that goes then the school is close by it and at a lower level.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy