Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2014/2015

Poster: A snowHead
Also, tried higher yesterday and could see....nothing! Rain seemed preferable.

Apologies for the doom and gloom, but we've been unlucky with everything so far! (Too much to go into).

Never mind, forecast says less rain, and I may be able to dig out something dry to wear Very Happy,
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Monie&Dave, I'd be amazed if you could't get over to Ardent (other than high wind). If the runs below the Chaux Fleurie are closed you should be able to download on the chair.

I always reckon 45 minutes to Morzine from Chatel (over Col du Corbier) but it somehow always manages to take a bit longer. I reckon you need to allow a minimum of an hour to get to the top of the Ardent gondola. Via Pre La Joux probably 30 minutes (15 minutes car, 2 lifts, one run).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chatel to Morzine or the Ardent lift is about a 1 hour drive. You can either take the pass via Drouzin, if it's open or the slightly longer route via Bioge.

There are usually roadworks on the road from Chatel to Thonon, just past Bioge, when the season is over. This doesn't affect you if you're driving to Morzine though.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Today, Tuesday, was a far better day and better than the forecasts were predicting. Visibility was pretty good most of the morning with none of the rain they had forecast. Snow conditions were good above about 2000 metres and soft down to 1800. We did go below 1800 a couple of times but the snow was horrible heaps of mashed potato and in short supply. Many lifts shut due to wind.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Agree with @foxtrotzulu, actually a really nice morning today! Actually got really bright and sunny at one point for a good while! Shame that the wind meant that everything above Plaine Dranse was shut pretty much most of the day Sad My lot decided to drive round to Ardent at about 11.20. PLJ was very busy this morning with everyone concentrated on a very small area. 20 min + queues on the Keyset drag, really busy on the lower Rochassons and on the green track as nothing much else accessible. I heard Combes opened but not confirmed. Cornebois and Chaux de Rosees stayed closed and I think Rochassons opened late on. Snow very very wet and heavy.

Forecast is better. But still wet and windy here now at 1200m.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
[quote="foxtrotzulu Snow conditions were good above about 2000 metres[/quote]

So about 200 metres of decent snow then Confused
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@zzz, you are just such a terrible cynic wink especially in flying weather, which I presume this certainly is not!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
zzz wrote:
[quote="foxtrotzulu Snow conditions were good above about 2000 metres

So about 200 metres of decent snow then Confused[/quote]

Yes, that's about right.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good morning! Looks to be very very light snow here just started and quite blowy too. Hope we haven't got another day of lift closures. Not sure there's been any snow overnight, I can look up quite high here and the trees are still green.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
there's apparently been snow overnight in Champoussin, the bare patches which were appearing next to the bottom drag lift yesterday are gone on today's webcam. Val D'Illiez website meteo predicting snow for the next few days, and also temperatures at, or quite a bit below, zero, so there is a reasonable chance it will actually fall as snow rather than rain for once.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowing still in Les Gets, not much overnight but snowing this morning. I have just been out for a couple of hours, and the Melezes and Vorosses were the most pleasant places to be skiing. Face got exfoliated by driving snow on the Ranfoilly lift first thing. OH and daughter now out for longer so no doubt will report back later.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Actually a really really good day today snowHead

Was snowing hard up at Pre la Joux most of the morning and much colder too. Everything nicely freshened up with a few inches of fresh, light, dry snow. Still very hard and crunchy underneath with the saturated snow from the past few days and icy in places. Skied PLJ this morning then over to Lindarets, Avoriaz and then down to Prodains for lunch and then back up, down and over. Noticeably quieter!! maybe people have been put off by the past two days. More snow in the forecast, looks as if my last week of the season could be a good one snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
@zzz, you are just such a terrible cynic wink especially in flying weather, which I presume this certainly is not!!

I prefer realist

Flying weather. Certainly not. Next week however!!! Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@zzz, so. Still skiing weather? snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm in the UK doing other flying. Work calls, sigh...........
ski holidays
@under a new name,

You? Hung them up yet?
latest report
@zzz, i have just binned my Nordicas. Crying or Very sad broken raceplates, screwed out fixing holes, not enough edge to sharpen.

But I have borrowed a nice pair of race department Rossignols to play on the beginner slopes with tomorrow Twisted Evil
latest report
Quite a fun day today, but the weather continues to be pretty pants. Never good vis, but occasionally passable. we'd been promised some freh snow today, but it never materialised. What I think was a temperature inversion during the morning meant that we had light rain that frozen on contact with clothes, goggles and everything else leaving it rimed in ice. Temperature rose in the afternoon with a freezing level around 1600m at a guess. The snow is holding up well and, if the forecast is to be believed, next week could be good. There's enough snow for anywhere above about 1200m at a guess and both cold weather and sunshine are forecast.
snow conditions
Worth heading to Champery tomorrow for a ski? Forecast looks okish......but its Mrs Sangers birthday, so an early ski followed by a slap up feed should see her pressie sorted for another year....
latest report
@coddlesangers, The honest answer to that is as follows:

The weather is very likely to be rubbish. Low cloud, white-out, some snow showers, possibly a little rain and just maybe a few minutes of sun. There hasn't been a single minute of sun in the last five days and the forecasts look no different tomorrow than any other day. That said, the snow is OK, the pistes not too crowded and we've had fun.
ski holidays
Oki doki! I had an ok morning last sunday in avoriaz bbefore the rain came, I thought tomorrow looked mildly promising by comparison!
latest report
Spent a couple of hours on Mt Chery this morning where there was fresh snow - piste prep was very good. It was bitterly cold at times and I wished I had kept the thicker jacket on... although all thermal layers etc all in place, even teabags resorted to in my gloves half way through. After the Lievre looking very sad and bare the last time I was there it was well covered and in great shape; swapped over half way through the morning with our daughter and she and OH skied over there some more - all sorts of weather - white out, bit of sun, wind, freezing stuff on goggles - and they found their way to an omelette at the little bar at Encrenaz. The Chanterelle looks to be closed. Last day at the GO on Sunday as they have a wedding there on Monday.
ski holidays
I hear there is fresh snow and the sun is out. Is my mate winding me up? Two days til I am back out again Smile
latest report
@Sunshine81, no wind up! Today was a good one. There is fresh snow and the sun was out til around 2pm. It was a good day. Quiet too.

@foxtrotzulu, no sun for 5 days??? We had a sunny morning in Chatel on Tuesday!! Did it not shine over there?

Really good conditions given the recent few weeks weather I think snowHead
ski holidays
@coddlesangers, well, I have to admit it was better than expected. We did see the sun for the first time this week, albeit intermittently. The snow quality up high was excellent and we had a very good morning. By 1330 the sun was gone and the cloud rolled in reducing vis to near zero. We headed lower to stay below the cloud and found that below 1700m the snow was heavy and slushy so called it a a day at 1530.
latest report
Lovely sunny morning in Les Gets - OH and daughter were up on the Arbis and the Chamossiere black very first thing and then Nyon and reported it as very good then. We swapped at around 11.30 and I had a little tootle around before OH and I enjoyed a very good lunch at La Paika. My sort of day!
ski holidays
@Pamski, nice! Thank goodness for another positive report! Beginning to think I'm the only optimist on this thread!

Honestly, this has been a poor snow season, we've had weeks of sunshine and high temps, then we've had rain, it's April. All those things considered the conditions are great!!!
ski holidays
@sarah, No, definitely no sun in Avoriaz on Tuesday. Not a glimpse of it.We actually tried to get over to Chatel that day but were driven back by the conditions. Very heavy rain I seem to remember.

This morning was glorious, but sadly this week will go down as the worst for weather I have ever experienced. Great fun certainly, and a mix of great snow and slushy snow, but for sun, cloud, heavy rain, visibility etc. it's been pretty atrocious.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sarah,
Quote:

this has been a poor snow season

certainly has. My OH was having a quick coffee at the little café at the bottom of the Chamossiere, the Blanchot, this morning and having his French lesson with the lovely guy there who (OH thinks) told him that there has only been about 2 metres of accumulated snow there this season as opposed to normally around 10m. OH does admit that he might have lost something in translation.
ski holidays
Snowing quite heavily in Les Gets and settling.
snow report
Managed a couple of hours this morning, but it wasn't much fun. Zero vis up high, but decent snow. Below 1800m the snow is wet, heavy and slushy. Alternating between wet snow and rain and currently just drizzle. So that's us done for the year. It would have been good to end on a couple of decent runs but sadly was not to be.

Next week is forecast to be much sunnier, which isn't difficult. What's really needed is not more sun, but colder temps.
snow report
@foxtrotzulu, no. We don't need colder temps. We need nice warm sunshine and barbeques.
snow report
Dumping it down now to Ardent. Up high should be fun tomorrow. Certainly more falling this afternoon than was forecast.
snow report
@under a new name,

Amen
ski holidays
∧ X2
ski holidays
It's absolutely hoofing it down here in the village in Chatel and the forecast for the week is great! Going to have some fun for my last week snowHead snowHead
latest report
Been dumping more or less all day in Crosets/Champoussin/Morgins as well. Unfortunately this tricked us into staying out too long and it was very soft and churny after 2pm.

Tomorrow could be good as long as it solidifies a bit and as long the pisteurs are out, which clearly they hadn't been last night.
snow conditions
Tipping down again in Les Gets after really warming up and turning to rain earlier. Just thinking, as I peeled the veg for supper, that @foxtrotzulu, has sounded quite fed up this week - and I can appreciate that.

We are lucky to live here nearly all winter, bar the busy bit of February, so can really pick and choose what we do. Having said that I have been so incredibly relieved that each time we have had bunches of friends out to stay it just happened that we had really lovely weather and conditions and they all wrote about 'best skiing ever' and all that sort of thing - I know we have polite friends but they did mean it!! Now its just a case of getting out when it looks reasonable and enjoying what is left of the season - but I do remember very clearly how important weather was when we had those precious days of holiday from work - and it probably cost us a lot too.
snow report
@Pamski, It's hard to know if 'fed up' is the right phrase. We've had a great week with wonderful friends. Plenty of laughs, great food and so on. As for the skiing? We've probably lost nearly 50% of the time as 'unskiable', the rest has been tolerable at best and we had a grand total of three hours sun in seven days. Yes, I suppose I'm a bit fed up with with the weather. When the vis has been OK, the snow has all too often been like lemon sorbet. I don't expect perfect snow and perfect sun in April, but it has been deeply disappointing. Mrs FZ is not a fanatical skier and always maintains that three days skiing is plenty for her. I argue that you need to go for a week in order to get those three decent days. At the current ratio we needed six weeks to get three decent days. I'm not complaining because that's just the way life is. 2014 we had wall to wall sunshine, 2013 we had white-outs, hail and thunder every day, 2012 we had perfect weather. It's just how it goes. Sad
ski holidays
@foxtrotzulu,
Quote:

It's just how it goes

that sums it up - we had 100 days skiing a few years ago here - we must have started early and carried on late. We always struggle as OH likes to get back to sailing.
Its good that you enjoyed the social side and the laughs and fun.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy