Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurostar to the Alps...

Poster: A snowHead
Just seen a tweet saying that tickets for Winter 14/15 go on sale from tomorrow morning... Those who want to let the train take the strain may want to be up early...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Got online at 07:10 - bit latter than had planned to
Got tickets for £169 rtn each for 10 Jan to Bourg on the Day Train
Not as good as the £149 I managed last year, but better than the £209 the year before.
Happy with that...good luck booking.
Plenty of seats left for that quietish week.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Does anyone know of any eurostar ski train tickets come on sale later on in the year which would be cheaper?

I have already brought my tickets, but i heard a rumor.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
£149.50 each way for the adults £105 each way for the kids on the 10am 28th March/4th April week trains for us...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Richard_Sideways, each way as in £300 return?

Quick play with site would suggest that is is - wow that's expensive! Train for 5 of us would be £1200 compared to £842 driving last year, including overnight stay and meal.

Whatever suits and is easiest of course and there is no best way to travel.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just over a grand for 4 of us... not cheap. But we're doing this with 2 small boys so not fancying the long drive, we have a choice of either a loooong train journey and a 20 minute transfer or a short flight with a loooong transfer out of Geneva. We'd prefer the train over the coach and the price doesn't really work out that much more expensive than flying once you factor in luggage carriage etc.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Richard_Sideways, my parents always take the train and prefer it to flying,I'd tend to agree easier than flying with little ones, least they can walk around more up and down train.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boris, not to mention that the chances of pewking in a 3 hour transfer for Geneva are about a 100% higher than a 20 min cab ride, even the 1hr 40 hour transfer from Chambery to VDI last year was grim! Yes it probably is cheaper to drive but being a skipping wuss that I am, as Mrs Sideways, this would mean Richard_Sideways, would end up doing most, if not all, of the driving whihc wouldn't be a nice to start to his holiday. Not only that factor in the costs of the transfers and it's about the same, if not cheaper than flying. I'm looking forward to it! Hopefully the boys will too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
always29, yes the puking on transfer coach was a big factor in choosing to drive first time. We did consider flying, but with twin boys aged 1 we jointly decided we couldn't face it and would be easier to take all their clobber in car over a couple of days.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Richard Sideways - I'm sure your boys will enjoy the train. We've been taking our 12 yr old skiing, mainly by train, since he was 10 months old and he now complains if we suggest going any other way. I assume yours are older than 4 as I think children travel for free up to that age. The price you have paid is a bit more than we paid last year for the direct Eurostar but it is definitely a relaxing way to travel. When we have travelled with friends the children have ended up on one table watching a DVD or playing with DS etc and we have been able to enjoy a glass of wine with friends..something you can't do when driving.

Boris - there are definitely good things about driving too but I personally find it a long way to drive for one week. We therefore went for two weeks last time we drove to make it worth the effort. snowHead Laughing

Seeing the headline about people flying out from Gatwick with no luggage today has reminded me of some of the hassles of flying that you don't get with self drive or the train. Last time I took a ski charter flight I spent a day in Turin airport waiting for the plane to arrive from Gatwick - due to the door needing fixing. rolling eyes Other people on the flight got hideously drunk while they were waiting. Mad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowymum, one is under 4 but I've paid the extra so he has a seat rather than sitting with a hefty / sleepy / grumpy 3YO on your lap for 6 and a half hours. Have made sure that the have the block-of-four set of seats (with table on the way out).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Half-Term (14 Feb - 21 Feb) sold out within minutes in both classes.

They went on sale to agents at 5am this morning.

Rail Canterbury (01227 450088) still have some (as of 5 mins ago) in both classes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Am I crazy? I'm doing the overnight ski train on the 9th January!

Made the change with Crystal last week and saved nearly £100, not looking forward to trying to sleep on the train but I am for the 2 extra days skiing. snowHead

I should be able to get an advanced return to Kings Cross for £30 - £40 if I book early enough!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RichardB - well it is better in premier class... I would think of it this way. You may sleep better semi upright in the train than you would at home worrying if you had set the alarm correctly for 4am for your early flight. Although maybe only women worry about these things? Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowymum, nope, I set alarm clock and phone and then wake up before both of them
snow conditions
Sales by tour operators start a week before sales for general public Evil or Very Mad This is why there are so few seats left during half terms and over Christmas and New Year. Hence book them via travel agents when possible for those periods.
snow conditions
I have decided to take the sleeper train to Bourg St Maurice and direct Eurostar back but not sure if it's worth paying the £220 (for 4 of us) to come back Premier - any advice would be gratefully received!
latest report
yes do it if you can afford it. i did it last year, went premier came back standard and noticed a big difference. The seats are slightly bigger and more spread out so you get more room. PLus its quieter in premier, last year going out premier i got a solid 5-6 hours sleep, coming back standard i struggled to get 2.
You get a meal and a drink also, which isnt anything special but saves you a few quid from the over priced buffet car.
Your also more likely to be able to store your stuff near your seat if not right above as less seats/people.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 16-08-14 16:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Thanks very much for the advice. There's an excellent site called snowcarbon.co.uk which is totally dedicated to snow train advice but I couldn't find a definitive answer to this question on it!
snow report
yeah snowcarbon is good, but for more detailed information about train travel abroad try seat61.com, here is the link dedicated to skiing http://www.seat61.com/ski-by-train.htm#.U-9yxKOgJI0
latest report
thestoney6, Man is 61 is a great site on anything rail
snow report
Joolz, we did premier both ways wasn't sure about it, but ne visit into standard convinced me, on the overnight service you also get a blanket which you can take with you Very Happy as well as a glass of wine with the meal, just wish the luggage store would open up before 10am in Bourg Shocked
snow conditions
I did the direct in standard class a couple of years ago..I must admit I found it a bit unpleasant. I guess it's ok if you can sleep sitting up..it was nt noisey, just uncomfortable. It's change at Paris and sleeper train for me from now on. If you buy the minute they go in sale it's 39 for the eurostar and 29 for the sleeper, so actually works out cheaper at £140 for the round trip. You do have to keep an eye on those booking horizons though.

Shipjack
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy