Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New lifts/piste 2014

Poster: A snowHead
Obertauern Austria

Panoramabahn upgraded to six seats with heated seats and weather protection hood
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The new lift to get back to La Tania from Meribel seems to be progressing.

http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=20782&st=20
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scheffau, Austria

New 8 seater.

http://www.skiwelt.at/en/skiwelt-news-2014-15.html
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
New detachable 4 seater in Madonna di Campiglio / Folgarida, replacing the old 3 man that links the 2 resorts. http://www.ski.it/folgarida-marilleva-val-di-sole/menu-skivacanze/vacanze-folgarida-marilleva/che-succede/che-succede-approfondimento/?tx_ttnews[tt_news]=3942&cHash=fdc8f1c9e68ccde90999ae9106332c53 Significantly improves the link between the two ski areas.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.latania.co.uk/photos/2015/info/new2015/2015.html

all the news from 3V
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
chrisb, What a great read as usual. So informative! Many thanks for the blog writer for the effort!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tom W, yes they put a decent enough into the website
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Disappointed to see no replacement this year for the T Bar on Bernkogel in Saalbach. Shame the gondola doesn't go to the top. The only fly in the ointment when doing the anti-clockwise circuit. Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Big Dave, Agree. Apparently it is coming for next winter, together with link to Fieberbrunn which will be from the top of the T Bar (or next top to the left of the piste map). It will add 40km of pistes. So all good. It is gonna be a chair I think.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anyone know what is happening to the La Plagne Colossus drag and Leitchoums lifts with the installation of the new 8 seater Colossus chair? An earlier post indicated a possibility of one moving to Plagne Soleil. Montalbert debate finalised - what news of the lifts?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Application for a Poma 3 seater to repalce the Tiger at Glenshee

https://upa.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=NCR7XVCAIG500
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kennyboyo wrote:
Anyone know what is happening to the La Plagne Colossus drag and Leitchoums lifts with the installation of the new 8 seater Colossus chair? An earlier post indicated a possibility of one moving to Plagne Soleil. Montalbert debate finalised - what news of the lifts?

The Collossus drag was necessary to get back to the Silver SKi chalet we stayed in in Plagne Soleil. This made it genuine ski in, ski out. Without the drag lift it would be impossible to get to on skis, and would require lots of walking and a steep climb up loads of steps. HOWEVER, a recent Silver Ski newsletter says: "The Soleil area is also going to benefit from the addition of a new button lift (will also be useful for Chalets Topaz and Saffron) on the Dou Du Praz piste which will make the ski back to Soleil much easier and more direct."

So it looks like there is a new drag in the area that will replace Collosses.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

http://youtube.com/v/8gYbigta2gg

Some info on one of the new lifts in Courchevel
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kennyboyo and Big Dave, the site you want for La Plagne info is http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/Actualites.htm

It seems the Collosses drag has gone, and the old Leprechaun drag has been moved.
So Big Dave, you can still get to your Silver Ski chalet, but now its from the Bergerie run by the resited Leprechaun lift.
(I think)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Peter S wrote:
Application for a Poma 3 seater to repalce the Tiger at Glenshee

https://upa.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=NCR7XVCAIG500

This is very good news. Whilst the old chair is of historic importance to scottish skiing it is getting on for 50 years old now and seems to have run less and less over the latter years. Looking at the planning application the 'new' chair looks like quite an old design so I guess they're buying one second hand from somewhere.

Wonder if you'll be able to jump off the new chair like you could with the existing one when it broke down or stopped for any length of time at the point where the slope steepness increases dramatically? Laughing
ski holidays
The application for the replacement of the Cairnwell Chair is for a 3 person Poma system with an Alpha drive station, probably like this one (scroll down):
http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/bdd/reportage-685.html

The Alpha gets a good write up and looks like a good fit for this site.
I'm sure the pylons will be too high to consider jumping from !

The problem may be getting folk to load and unload efficiently in threes, a skill that seems to be disappearing, along with the ability to ride fast draglifts.

Dont know if the Glenshee one will come with an accelerator ramp or not ?
snow report
(Fingers crossed) 2 new chairlifts, a new beginners rope tow, 2 brand new piste bashers, 2 new (to them) snow blowers, lots and lots of km's of new fencing, a cafe refurbishment, all in a 5 year period. All whilst remaining the most extensive snowsports facility in the UK and also the cheapest. Glenshee is leading the way the just now in Scotland and this is all so refreshing to see after recent years.

Take a hike Cairngorm.

I believe the current Cairnwell chairlift is now entering its 53rd season(?) serving the famous tiger run. If this planning application is rejected it would be a disaster. Please show you're support here: http://www.eplanningcnpa.co.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=makeComment&keyVal=ND2FNYSI0BY00
ski holidays
Verbier.

Links to the 4 valleys have been restored wink

A new piste from Les Planards to Les Esserts gives an exit option should the planards-Carrefour road be closed by avalanche risk.

They're putting 11 extra bubbles on the Le Châble-Verbier link.
latest report
New run back to hemsedal village centre.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Some developments around Arc 1800 this year (and next year):

Villards chairlift is being replaced by an 8-person gondola, seems to serve new nursery slopes and doesn't go as high as the old Villards chair? (the Télécabine Villards, due Dec 2014)
New beginners area at the top of the Télécabine Villards, served by a covered moving walkway lift (Tapis du Golf, Dec 2014)
New pool and leisure centre for summer and winter use (extension to the current pool), with indoor fun pool, sauna, steam rooms, etc. (Dec 2014)
New elevator and walkway to make it easier to get up to the pool complex from main part of Arc 1800 (Dec 2014)
New luge run, floodlight for apres-ski use
New base lodge at finish of luge run for luge rentals, pisteurs office, etc (Dec 2014)
New pedestrian friendly gondola (just two cabins, low lift capacity) to serve residential developments at Eden Arc and Chantel (Dec 2015)
New 6-seat chairlift from Arc 1800 to Col des Frettes (for access to Arc 2000 or back to 1600 & 1800) (Télésiège Carreley (Dec 2015)
New intermediate piste linking top of Carreley chairlift with TransArc mid-station (Dec 2015)
The ramshackle building used as the golf driving range is being replaced with a new facility which will house a restaurant, new gold facilities, conference facilities, etc (2015)

A video of the additions was on my facebook today.

Dawn of a new area from Les Arcs
http://vimeo.com/97927179
snow report
I drove through La Clusaz yesterday (where it was about 25 degrees!). There seemed to be doing a lot of work on the Bossonnet lifts.
snow conditions
We sat in a cafe in the last week of August watching a very busy helicopter ferrying pylons up what may have been Bossonnet. Got some pictures somewhere if anyone is interested.
snow report
If I'm reading things right...

the Padon lift and Arei draglift from Marmolada back towards Arabba are finished (they were the ones wiped out by avalanche last season).

and if my translation of Italian is right...

Arabba Fly (the bit joining both sides of Arabba) *might* actually happen next season. After 30 years of discussions, politics, ...

but don't hold your breath.

Oh and Borest 2-way lift in Corvara seems to be coming along. Can't work out where the top end is yet.
snow conditions
cammyammy wrote:
(Fingers crossed) 2 new chairlifts, a new beginners rope tow, 2 brand new piste bashers, 2 new (to them) snow blowers, lots and lots of km's of new fencing, a cafe refurbishment, all in a 5 year period. All whilst remaining the most extensive snowsports facility in the UK and also the cheapest. Glenshee is leading the way the just now in Scotland and this is all so refreshing to see after recent years.

Take a hike Cairngorm.

I believe the current Cairnwell chairlift is now entering its 53rd season(?) serving the famous tiger run. If this planning application is rejected it would be a disaster. Please show you're support here: http://www.eplanningcnpa.co.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=makeComment&keyVal=ND2FNYSI0BY00

Yes, they've been doing some very good work, hopefully they will be able to find a way of getting skiers over to the glas maol side when there is snow there and sunnyside has none in future, they're pro-active, so I'm sure they're thinking about that.

Cairngorm seems to suffer because of its higher profile and public ownership until recently. Would love to see the new owners re-vamp the place, but I'm not holding my breath!
ski holidays
Peter S wrote:
The application for the replacement of the Cairnwell Chair is for a 3 person Poma system with an Alpha drive station, probably like this one (scroll down):
http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/bdd/reportage-685.html

The Alpha gets a good write up and looks like a good fit for this site.
I'm sure the pylons will be too high to consider jumping from !

The problem may be getting folk to load and unload efficiently in threes, a skill that seems to be disappearing, along with the ability to ride fast draglifts.

Dont know if the Glenshee one will come with an accelerator ramp or not ?

I think some queue management by the lifties would be needed, american style! Once people know they have to make up threes they get used to it pretty quickly and it makes the skiing day more social particularly at a small resort where there is a good chance you might end up on a lift with someone you've been up with before. Used to enjoy that element in new zealand.

I think the tiger drag got removed for the reason that H+S considered it was too steep and therefore unsafe! rolling eyes

Wonder where glenshee are thinking of buying it from and for how much?
snow report
Kooky wrote:
The old 2-chair from the Gamskogelhutte in Zauchensee is being replaced by a new 6 seater chair....with a lid!
Whilst this luxury is very welcome, I will miss seeing various people dangling and dropping off the ramp upon arrival, MrsFlangesax and myself have a few fond memories of some of our friends! What I won´t miss are the bruised calves, heck that chair used to deliver a very severe thump if you got your timing out just a tic Shocked

So basically you're looking forward to less of a bang but a better ride ?
snow report
New Gondola cabin replacement for main lift up Whistler Mountain from the Village. You will get a seat apparently instead of the half stand leaning on a bum rest - if you got in first. Supposed to have more throughput not sure how though as they are getting less in a cabin. Maybe rope is running faster with smaller gaps? We will see.
snow report
Quote:

the Padon lift and Arei draglift from Marmolada back towards Arabba are finished (they were the ones wiped out by avalanche last season).

that's good news, andy. snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
new 6 man detachable chair in Les Saisies now ready to go and, thankfully, given present conditions, they've designed it to be skiable with 20- 30 cms of snow. http://www.actumontagne.com/sports/extension-du-domaine-de-la-glisse-pour-lespace-diamant_9306

Espace Diamant now 192 kms of downhill, 120 kms of varied cross country trails - not those boring flat circuits in the bottom of a valley which frequently has little or no snow. wink Though we have one of those down near Beaufort, just for old times sake.

http://www.actumontagne.com/sports/extension-du-domaine-de-la-glisse-pour-lespace-diamant_9306
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy