Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New lifts/piste 2014

Poster: A snowHead
I've seen threads on new lifts in Chatel and a new piste in 2 Alpe.

Anybody know of any more? Actual construction or confirmed for 2014.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nothing new in Sella Ronda afaik, but several lift replacements - some planned (Pralongia?), some due to avalanche damage (Passo Padon), and another planned but being reworked due to landslide (Borest 2way chair to become a gondola). That's after Dantercepies planned but reworked last year also due to landslide.

Haven't checked Zillertal or anywhere else in Austria, but it seems they manage to squeeze in a new heated 8er somewhere most years.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Plan Joran chair (Grands Montets) is being replaced by a 10 person bubble.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
andy, new chair going in in Zauchensee to replace the old wooden 2-seater from the Gamskoglhütte up to the top of the Schwarzewand. Plus they may be replacing the short T-bar that brings you from the same bottom station into the red 6/7 and Blue 9 runs.

Isn't there some forum somewhere where all these are listed with nice little links so you can watch the progress? A bit like trainspotters but with cableways instead? Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12

http://www.funivie.org/cantieri/index.php?cat=22

http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?showforum=147

http://www.lift-world.info/en/lifts/construction/page1.htm
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The old 4 seat chair Colosses at La Plagne ( bellecote ) is being replaced bt a new fast 8 seater , should remove that as a troublesome bottleneck for getting over to Plagne centre.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Major new lift going in in Ischgl. I forget which peak, but my flatmate is working on the construction site atm. 1200m vert, massive lift station, capactiy to shift 2800 people per hour.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lift World was the one I was thinking of, thanks andy,
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.skiclub.lowtherhills.com/

Relocated rope tow from the now defunct Harwood Common ski area in County Durham to Wanlock Head in Dumfries and Galloway. snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999, could that be the replacement gondola out of town up to Pardatschgrat?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
eblunt wrote:
The old 4 seat chair Colosses at La Plagne ( bellecote ) is being replaced bt a new fast 8 seater , should remove that as a troublesome bottleneck for getting over to Plagne centre.

As "payment' for a new lift two other lifts are being removed, this will simply make the queue the same length and keep the bottle neck the same!

The lifts being removed are the Colosses drag,
and The Leitchoums lift which although only a short lift enabled access to Plagne centre without going through Bellecote, next season we will have no choice to go down into the hell that is Bellecote Sad

One of those two lifts may be moved to serve Plagne Soleil and the restaurant above there by the old air strip, although there doesn't appear to be any official confirmation of this yet. (The restaurant is currently accessed on skis from the Colosses drag).

More details at http://www.perso-laplagne.fr in the forum sadly only in French.
and a listing of all La Plagnes lifts at http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/Skilifts.htm in English
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boredsurfin wrote:
eblunt wrote:

As "payment' for a new lift two other lifts are being removed, this will simply make the queue the same length and keep the bottle neck the same!

The lifts being removed are the Colosses drag,
and The Leitchoums lift which although only a short lift enabled access to Plagne centre without going through Bellecote, next season we will have no choice to go down into the hell that is Bellecote Sad

One of those two lifts may be moved to serve Plagne Soleil and the restaurant above there by the old air strip, although there doesn't appear to be any official confirmation of this yet. (The restaurant is currently accessed on skis from the Colosses drag).

More details at http://www.perso-laplagne.fr in the forum sadly only in French.
and a listing of all La Plagnes lifts at http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/Skilifts.htm in English

I disagree to a certain extent :

1) the new lift will have a capacity of 4000 per hour, 1000 more than the combined capacity of the others

2) The leitchoums lift was a pain in the bum ... I would never take it, quicker to walk up to the ridge rather than queue, and the only thing that prevented you from being able to get over the ridge without walking up was ..... you guessed it .. yes the Leitchoums lift since the lift goes over the piste just at the point where you wanted maximum speed. Once the lift is removed, it'll be much easier to get over that way.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
New Bellastat lift in Les Saisies opening a new area with new blue and red pistes. A
Also a. magic carpet on the town nursery slope but not convinced that,so gonna be a big improvement except for very beginner boarders.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://alpinwiki.alpinforum.com/index.php/Neue_Lifte_Saison_14/15

Although not everything from this list is happening this year.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
eblunt, yeah whatever, no matter what the capacity the staff will still allow one person per seat no matter how long the queue, just look at Arpette huge queues and still no one ensures the seats are full, yet 4 or 5 staff are allocated to lift pass checking, which slows down the queue again. 'Twas ever thus. At least they haven't been allowed to build the Montalbert white elephant Gondola.
snow conditions
boredsurfin wrote:
eblunt, yeah whatever, no matter what the capacity the staff will still allow one person per seat no matter how long the queue, just look at Arpette huge queues and still no one ensures the seats are full, yet 4 or 5 staff are allocated to lift pass checking, which slows down the queue again. 'Twas ever thus. At least they haven't been allowed to build the Montalbert white elephant Gondola.

We will see ..... despite your views, the upgrade of the Arpette capacity by a similar amount , and with an 8 seater, got rid of all the hiuge queues on the other side of Bellecote.
ski holidays
New Lifts

http://www.lift-world.info/en/lifts/new_lifts/page1.htm

Lift Construction

http://www.lift-world.info/en/lifts/construction/page1.htm

Lift Projects

http://www.lift-world.info/en/lifts/projects/page1.htm
snow conditions
Two new lifts in the Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang ski circus.

8-pers. chair replacing the old 3-pers. chair at Polten (the last lift in the Saalbach system on the way to Leogang).

The new 10-person gondola out of Leogang village to the top of Asitz is an additional lift rather than a replacement. This lift makes Leogang a much more convenient accommodation option for entering the S-H-L ski circus.
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
eblunt wrote:

The lifts being removed are the Colosses

How are people gonna get to the half pipe if they get rid of the drag.?

Gutted it's going, 'twas a classic 'locals lift'
latest report
bertie bassett, Yep, unfortunately the policy of the lift company is now to replace several lifts with one big one, of course this pleases the green lobby as it means fewer lift towers, and the shareholders as it means fewer staff and less maintenance. Meanwhile the ski lift pass cost increases every year and we end up paying a lot more for less. The removal of Coqs last season is seen by many as an example of the lift co putting profits over the needs of the skier and the ski area. (although there is a slim hope that the dis-content aimed at the lift co may see some sort of replacement in the future.)
snow report
Removing ALL the old lifts, particularly t bars and pomas, has the effect, i think, of eroding the character and history of a ski area. Its like closing all the old shops and replacing them with several big supermarkets. Efficient, cheaper to run but characterless and ugly and when it does break down there is less redundancy. Sad

Perhaps there is a case for maintaining some lifts for their heritage value and to demonstrate to visitors how a place has developed. We alreday do this with some bridges and other structures. With T bars and pomas there should be almost no limit to their life expectancy because of their simplicity. Puzzled
ski holidays
related to the Chatel work, the Proclou and Serresauix lifts in Avoriaz are being replaced. AIUI the old Proclou is being renovated and repurposed as part of the Linga-Chatel link.
snow report
Peter S wrote:
Removing ALL the old lifts, particularly t bars and pomas, has the effect, i think, of eroding the character and history of a ski area. Its like closing all the old shops and replacing them with several big supermarkets. Efficient, cheaper to run but characterless and ugly and when it does break down there is less redundancy. Sad

Perhaps there is a case for maintaining some lifts for their heritage value and to demonstrate to visitors how a place has developed. We alreday do this with some bridges and other structures. With T bars and pomas there should be almost no limit to their life expectancy because of their simplicity. Puzzled

a big +1 to that.
ski holidays
A big -1 from me, I know where you can stick your t bars and pommas..
snow conditions
jbob wrote:

Irony is obviously alive and well as we all know that t-bars and pommas have to be up your a**s to work Very Happy
latest report
Peter S, there is always Scotland if you fancy some drag lifts. And of course during the Summer I always enjoy a trip to Silksworth to use drag lifts there. But in France I would rather have a seat to recover from trying to keep up with the kids. I must be getting old
ski holidays
Or a glacier
snow conditions
Some developments around Arc 1800 this year (and next year):

Villards chairlift is being replaced by an 8-person gondola, seems to serve new nursery slopes and doesn't go as high as the old Villards chair? (the Télécabine Villards, due Dec 2014)
New beginners area at the top of the Télécabine Villards, served by a covered moving walkway lift (Tapis du Golf, Dec 2014)
New pool and leisure centre for summer and winter use (extension to the current pool), with indoor fun pool, sauna, steam rooms, etc. (Dec 2014)
New elevator and walkway to make it easier to get up to the pool complex from main part of Arc 1800 (Dec 2014)
New luge run, floodlight for apres-ski use
New base lodge at finish of luge run for luge rentals, pisteurs office, etc (Dec 2014)
New pedestrian friendly gondola (just two cabins, low lift capacity) to serve residential developments at Eden Arc and Chantel (Dec 2015)
New 6-seat chairlift from Arc 1800 to Col des Frettes (for access to Arc 2000 or back to 1600 & 1800) (Télésiège Carreley (Dec 2015)
New intermediate piste linking top of Carreley chairlift with TransArc mid-station (Dec 2015)
The ramshackle building used as the golf driving range is being replaced with a new facility which will house a restaurant, new gold facilities, conference facilities, etc (2015)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

new gold facilities

for the Russians wink
snow conditions
HutToHut, Laughing
snow conditions
rob@rar, seems a lot going on in Arc 1800. Quite a lot of development around Courchevel at the moment as well with a new leisure complex - competition between the resorts?
ski holidays
chrisb wrote:
... competition between the resorts?
Yes, I'm sure that the case, and especially with non-skiing activities becoming ever more important (for winter and summer seasons).
ski holidays
stevew wrote:
jbob wrote:

Irony is obviously alive and well as we all know that t-bars and pommas have to be up your a**s to work Very Happy

Or just a desire not to queue up for some ancient and dangerous equipment is alive and well ....
ski holidays
New chair going in at La Rosiere, replacing the Roc Noir drag (and maybe the other drag coming from lower down too?)
latest report
The old 2-chair from the Gamskogelhutte in Zauchensee is being replaced by a new 6 seater chair....with a lid!
Whilst this luxury is very welcome, I will miss seeing various people dangling and dropping off the ramp upon arrival, MrsFlangesax and myself have a few fond memories of some of our friends! What I won´t miss are the bruised calves, heck that chair used to deliver a very severe thump if you got your timing out just a tic Shocked
snow conditions
http://www.funivie.org/cantieri/displayimage.php?album=330&pid=21080#top_display_media

some pics there of the Corvara gondola build. Looks like the start is a bit closer for those coming in from Arabba and San Cassiano to save having to maintain a bit of speed across the flat. Top looks like it's next to the old top? Route is slightly different (as was already planned before the landslide). So now it's a 8 person gondola feeding a 4 man chair which then feeds an 8 man gondola on the chairlifts anonymous haul from Corvara to Selva. I predict jams at Sodlisia.

Pic 8 (or thereabouts) shows one of the old pylons wiped out by the landslide.
latest report
http://www.funivie.org/cantieri/displayimage.php?album=356&pid=21009#top_display_media

less exciting is the drag lifts and chair back from Malga Ciapella to Arabba, that were wiped out by avalanche. Claims to be open in December. Saw a pic somewhere of new pylon being helicoptered in to place, but don't remember where.
snow report
andy wrote:
http://www.funivie.org/cantieri/displayimage.php?album=330&pid=21080#top_display_media

some pics there of the Corvara gondola build. Looks like the start is a bit closer for those coming in from Arabba and San Cassiano to save having to maintain a bit of speed across the flat. Top looks like it's next to the old top? Route is slightly different (as was already planned before the landslide). So now it's a 8 person gondola feeding a 4 man chair which then feeds an 8 man gondola on the chairlifts anonymous haul from Corvara to Selva. I predict jams at Sodlisia.

Pic 8 (or thereabouts) shows one of the old pylons wiped out by the landslide.

Any thoughts on why changing to a gondola? As you rightly say when going green it's going to be a load of pffaff of skis off/on/off for the 1st three lifts.

Also why didn't they take the opportunity to drop 'the top' a bit further up towards colfosco, so you can drop down to the local gondola (col pradat) - at least you'd reduce the bottlenecks a little as people going back to Colfosco can drop 'off the ronda' one lift earlier, assuming they are staying in the lower part of town
latest report
rob@rar, will see some of the Les Arc changes as just booked today Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

Any thoughts on why changing to a gondola?

dolomiti superski love gondolas. several chairs have been converted.

Anything to break up the flow is probably a good thing. sliding off a lift running at capacity straight into the next lift queue is going to be an issue. maybe because it's a gondola there'll be faff?

topping out near col pradat could just mix things up a bit, make a deserted valley busier, and give a bit more optional skiing between the virtually end to end lift chain?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy