Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

les arc and Peisy 12 April 2015- Snow conditions?

Poster: A snowHead
Due to my sons SAT's we can not take him out of school this year so we are stuck with Easter and HT. Obviously being a veteran of ski trips I know anything can happen, it could be wonderful powder or it could be like watching goats eating grass in the Sound of Music and there is no way of telling.

I think what I am going to ask is not for a lecture on the unpredictability of snow or a guarantee, but more some comfort from anyone who regularly goes this late in the year. The latest we have traveled in the past has been on the 15th and 17th of March and on both occasions it was T-Shirt time with icy morning and slushy afternoons and then in Tignes last year a major dump just as were leaving. These conditions were still fantastic and we loved every second.

This year we are going 3-4 weeks later than ever before and I am hoping someone will tell me they go to Les Arc every April and apart from the rotten winter 3-4 years ago it is always still in great shape.

Without wishing to offend anyone can I please ask that nobody says "take your mountain shoes and have a great time whatever the weather" because that is likely to irritate me as I love boarding and look forward to it all year and if I want I a mountain holiday in summer I go in the summer and still love it, but it is not what I want in April Smile

I know it sounds obvious but I am looking for some reassurance,

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can't offer you reassurance beyond it was great that year in April 2013 (a good snow year). But as Easter is 5th April 2015, won't most schools have holidays from 28th March - 12th April? I know these things vary by area, but the school holiday not starting until the 12th doesn't seem to make sense with the date of Easter?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gämsbock, you are correct for MOST schools, however hampshire is off that week, makes that week quite attractive as the prices are quite a bit cheaper (guess which week we are going Happy)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I can't offer you reassurance beyond it was great that year in April 2013 (a good snow year). But as Easter is 5th April 2015, won't most schools have holidays from 28th March - 12th April? I know these things vary by area, but the school holiday not starting until the 12th doesn't seem to make sense with the date of Easter?

Our Easter Holiday goes from the 5th for two weeks, however the first week is eye wateringly expensive in the region of 1500 extra pounds for the same holiday as compared to leaving on the 12th.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mheadbee, we go to Les Arcs every Easter, ( for the past 6 to 8 years at least, maybe more) and while you do need to be aware of that it will be spring skiing, I can assure you, there's plenty of good stuff still out there.

I think only once in that time we have had to go grass skiing to make it into 1800, and certainly last year, which was possibly the poorest, we wouldn't attempt 1800 after about 1pm - too heavy.
But do Peisey /1800 first (or Villaroger), and bizarrely last year, 1600 was still good for lunchtime, then back in to the 1950 / 2000 valley for the afternoon, expect to be tired/ slushy by 3:30 and enjoy the apres.

HTH or at least, reassures. And we'll no doubt see you out there this year - we're there for the first two weeks April
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Arctic Roll
super-snowHead

mheadbee, we go to Les Arcs every Easter, ( for the past 6 to 8 years at least, maybe more) and while you do need to be aware of that it will be spring skiing, I can assure you, there's plenty of good stuff still out there.

I think only once in that time we have had to go grass skiing to make it into 1800, and certainly last year, which was possibly the poorest, we wouldn't attempt 1800 after about 1pm - too heavy.
But do Peisey /1800 first (or Villaroger), and bizarrely last year, 1600 was still good for lunchtime, then back in to the 1950 / 2000 valley for the afternoon, expect to be tired/ slushy by 3:30 and enjoy the apres.

HTH or at least, reassures. And we'll no doubt see you out there this year - we're there for the first two weeks April

That is what I was hoping

Many thanks.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mheadbee - are you booking a catered package? I'd be surprised if there is a difference of £1500 for self catering between 5th and 12th April?

We have skied in several French resorts in either late March or early April during the past 6 years and had great skiing conditions overall. (However we skied in January the year the snow was really bad..2011 maybe Toofy Grin ).

Les Arcs would definitely be a good choice for the week you are thinking of. I would suggest booking accommodation in Arc 1950 or Arc 2000 as, as Artic Roll says, the snow is a lot better up there in the afternoon. We skied until 5pm above Arc 1950 this April when the conditions were very mild. Arc 1800 was definitely heavy going later in the day. Most of the runs were open down to Peisey but they were white tracks with green either side towards the bottom. There was still enough snow to get over to La Plagne but again the runs in Les Coches/Montchavin were suffering. It was exceptionally mild though this year.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mheadbee, in that case, have you considered going DIY? The 5th is off-peak as far as France is concerned - it's only the British TOs that increase the prices that week.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

mheadbee, in that case, have you considered going DIY? The 5th is off-peak as far as France is concerned - it's only the British TOs that increase the prices that week.

I have yes. Our friends want to go with the company we have used for the last 5 years, it goes up £200 per person the second week of Easter times 8 people = £1600. Also you do not get the discounts for that week either.

I have looked at DIY and although accommodation is very reasonable the Flights are ridiculous. I have thought about driving and having a stop over either end but my friends are not keen as they want to use the ski clubs/child care with the operator.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mheadbee - You could have a look at the Cariboo Club in Arc 1950 for childcare. I haven't used it as our children are older but Arc 1950 is popular with English families so the chances are there would be other English children in the club.

Have you thought of travelling by Eurostar ski train? I've seen on another thread that the prices are about to come out for the direct Eurostar and you definitely need to be up very early to buy train tickets for school holidays. It is a very easy way to get to Les Arcs with a very short transfer up to the resort, whereas Les Arcs is not that near an airport unless you are thinking of Chambery flights.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mheadbee, Another bit of reassurance from us. We have skied Paradiski (La Plagne) at Easter for the last 11 years and I can only think of one season when the snow wasn't good enough (2010/11).
Normally there is good spring skiing to be found up until 20th April if you know where to look.

Where are you flying from?

Have you thought about driving to an airport in the UK with cheaper flights rather than driving all the way through France?

For instance, going out on 4th April, returning 11th April from Heathrow to Geneva is currently showing as £105 return on skyscanner. Flights are going out with BA and back with Swiss.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mheadbee, have been to Vallandry several Easter's over the last few years often starting w/c 9th April. yes it gets slushy later in afternoon, but plenty of skiing to be had and we even managed to get down to Villaroger several times.

2011 was the only year when it was really really bad and was pretty much grass below Trans-Arc mid station.

We will be going Easter next year, but likely to be going w/c 28th March
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mheadbee, does that operator not have a self-drive option? Many do.

We always drive and have an extra night either end to have a relaxing journey
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

mheadbee, does that operator not have a self-drive option? Many do

They do but it saves £50 per head on the catered week so not worth the inconvenience. I would only consider driving if I was renting somewhere rather than a package deal.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

skichampcouk
super-snowHead

mheadbee, Another bit of reassurance from us. We have skied Paradiski (La Plagne) at Easter for the last 11 years and I can only think of one season when the snow wasn't good enough (2010/11).
Normally there is good spring skiing to be found up until 20th April if you know where to look.

Where are you flying from?

Have you thought about driving to an airport in the UK with cheaper flights rather than driving all the way through France?

For instance, going out on 4th April, returning 11th April from Heathrow to Geneva is currently showing as £105 return on skyscanner. Flights are going out with BA and back with Swiss

The return flights aren't great though, 7am. Would mean getting up at 2 or 3. If yu go for 9-10am the price doubles. Confused
ski holidays
mheadbee, A friend of ours who has lived all his life in Peisey, reckons it snows the 2nd week of April surprisingly often.
ski holidays
mheadbee, True, but probably less painful than driving.

It may be worth waiting until the budget airlines issue their summer flights for 2015 and see if the flight prices come down.
A quick look at the Easyjet and Ryanair websites show they have only issued flights up until the end of March, I'd assume most of the other budget airlines haven't issued their Summer flights yet.

genepi, We always seem to have snow on or around the 21st March for some reason.
snow conditions
Quote:

skichampcouk
super-snowHead

mheadbee, True, but probably less painful than driving.

It may be worth waiting until the budget airlines issue their summer flights for 2015 and see if the flight prices come down.
A quick look at the Easyjet and Ryanair websites show they have only issued flights up until the end of March, I'd assume most of the other budget airlines haven't issued their Summer flights yet.

genepi, We always seem to have snow on or around the 21st March for some reason

The issue isn't so much the price but more that we are forced to go at Easter this year due to my sons SAT's so we can not take him out of School. in fact the second week of Easter works out the same price as when we take the kids out of school in March as we have done the last 4-5 years. The first week of Easter is however very overpriced so hence looking at the second week. As long as the general consensus is that Easter is still pretty good then the second week will be just the ticket. I always go in January with the lads so the second week isn't such an issue if it is a bit slushy in the afternoons.
snow report
mheadbee - I'm sure there will be enough skiing the second week but some of the lowest runs will probably have shut. Eg. you could ski nearly to Villaroger during the week of 5th - 11th April this year but the run was closed by the end of the week.
snow conditions
What's painful about driving Puzzled

Horses for courses I guess, but we always drive as is most convenient way of getting us and kit there. Particularly at Easter when there is less traffic and lowered risk of weather issues
snow report
Boris, For us we can have an extra 6 hour drive in the UK, getting around Birmingham and London on a Friday afternoon or evening can be tricky. We normally need an overnight stop en route so it can easily take up a day in travelling time and we are usually knackered for a couple of days after we arrive.

I prefer the 15 minute journey to the airport this end, the 1 hour 40 minute flight and just over an hour journey at the other end. A lot less time consuming and usually a lot cheaper than driving if you aren't tied to the school holidays.
We've also got our kit out there and just need hand luggage on the plane so that reduces the waiting time at the airport as well.
ski holidays
Quote:

Boris
super-snowHead

What's painful about driving Puzzled

Horses for courses I guess, but we always drive as is most convenient way of getting us and kit there. Particularly at Easter when there is less traffic and lowered risk of weather issues

This is a debate that has been had many times with my friends. I have always said that a ski holiday is very tiring for adults and kids with the daily exercise, late nights and plenty of alcohol. The last thing I want to do is spend 2 solid days driving either end of it with the kids bored and moaning in the back of the car. I agree with skichampcouk, my journey to the channel tunnel takes in the joy of the M25 south east section and it can take several hours sitting in nose to tail traffic particularly over easter.
If I fly then it is a 15 minute drive to Heathrow, an hour+ flight and then a 1 or 2 hour drive at the far end. When I go with the lads we have in the past got a 7am flight from Heathrow and we have been skiing the PdS at 11.30 the same day.

I have no problem transporting my snowboard etc, I just give it to British airways and they give it back to me at the far end.

My friend kept on going on about how great it would be to drive, put the kids and the sledges straight in the car and park right out side the door etc, get away from having to sit on a coach. He tried it two years ago and then had to admit it was much harder than he thought, they were completely knackered when they arrived and then had to carry all their crap from a car park to the apartment. Never again he said.
snow report
As I said, horses for courses.

Kids are fine with iPods and talking books, stop and do a shop in valley (we self cater now but have done chalets) and now kids are older often do the trip in a day. Mrs B and I share driving which does make a difference.

Personally we love it and wouldn't do anything else, but fully understand it doesn't suit all
latest report
Have had better journeys driving than flying when going to France but not being tied to holidays we drove to Chambery on the Friday and snuck in an extra day skiing (3rd lift to avoid queues). Didn't help flying's cause that we were 2 hours down the M5 from a sensible airport and had to leave more time for incidents. Plane delayed, ran into Chambery chaos, hours queuing for plane parking, steps and luggage so flying took longer than driving door to door. Now being close to better airports with more route options flying might have a better chance as less journey fudge required!
snow report
When you say are looking for reassurance... what happens if we can't reassure you?

My report from what was one of the worst in recent times, 2011:

"Snow conditions wise we were fearing the worst. Last year we went out one week earlier and there was plenty of snow right down to 1300m. But this year has been poor and with a thin base late season was always looking dicey. Fair play to the lift company and pisteurs, they had clearly planned for the eventuality and had stacked out the link runs with snow. Even with roasting temperatures early in the week we managed to get ourselves over to the mid to higher areas of the ski areas and back home again for the whole week. It was fortunate in a way that we were skiing with young children to whom the lack of squeaky snow or powder snow was no inconvenience. I can honestly say I've no gripes in regard of the slope and lift management."

Although as I recall this April was pretty grim too (fortunately we didn't go at this year)

So in terms of having something to ski I would say you are almost guaranteed. In terms of the quality of the skiing IME going that one week early can make a difference.

I see the fly v drive debate rages on...

Quote:
If I fly then it is a 15 minute drive to Heathrow, an hour+ flight and then a 1 or 2 hour drive at the far end.

You missed the bit about having to arrive at the airport 2 hours before, the hassles of security. Having to fly at set times rather to your convenience, etc.

Quote:
then had to carry all their crap from a car park to the apartment.

Where does the transfer coach/taxi park, in the hallway!" I've always been able to drop off stuff very close to my apartment.

That said, it really is horses for courses.
ski holidays
Apologies, didn't mean to start fly v drive debate Embarassed

Lots of variables, if a hotel/chalet then they are often more accessible to coach, whereas apartment can be way away from car park. Our regular apartment does require lugging everything up 6 flights of stairs and I dislike it intensely
ski holidays
Quote:

When you say are looking for reassurance... what happens if we can't reassure you?

Well if you can't guarantee me now that there will be snow in April then I won't go...... or, If 80% of people say they have been in April and it is still pretty good then that will do me, I will take a chance that it could be a dry one knowing the odds are in my favour. Sorry, I thought my opening post was fairly clear on my expectations.

Quote:
I see the fly v drive debate rages on...

Quote:
If I fly then it is a 15 minute drive to Heathrow, an hour+ flight and then a 1 or 2 hour drive at the far end.

You missed the bit about having to arrive at the airport 2 hours before, the hassles of security. Having to fly at set times rather to your convenience, etc.

The "hassle" of security, or in real terms the 5 minutes it takes to walk through the check point falls into complete insignificance when compared to 2 hours sitting on the M25 staring at someones bumper.

Having to fly at a set time is not really an issue, you just turn up an hour or so before your flight don't you? Also I have no issue sitting in the bar for an hour having a pint and some lunch...sure beats driving. Also flights go from Heathrow to Geneva pretty much every hour.

Quote:

Where does the transfer coach/taxi park, in the hallway!"

No, not in the hallway, about 15 metres away in the coach car park.

I think things may have moved on significantly since youy last flew, you should give it a go again.
ski holidays
We went this year in that week to Les Deux Alpes - the nursery slope we should have been able to ski in / ski out was mostly grass so we had to walk across that to the bottom of the chair lift. However higher up there was great skiing to be found. It was mild even for April this year.

We also went the same week the previous year to Belle Plagne snow was fantastic, but it was an exceptionally good April for snow. We have booked to go that same week next season to St Anton. My fingers are crossed that it won't be as mild at it was this year, but like you I am taking advantage of our county being school holidays when most of the country is back at school. I found like you it make a large difference in price with Esprit who we are going with
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I found like you it make a large difference in price with Esprit who we are going with

That is who we are going with, the price goes up £1-200 per head plus the Child discounts go from 80% off down to 40% off for the week of the 5th April....Ouch!

The week of the 12th is the same price as the rest of the year.
snow conditions
mheadbee, Are you committed to Peisey yet? If not, and snow is so important, then have you thought of going to a higher resort like VT? If I was going then, despite what my friend Fred says about snow the 2nd week in April, I would take walking boots & just be happy to enjoy the walking on offer.
ski holidays
mheadbee wrote:
Quote:

I found like you it make a large difference in price with Esprit who we are going with

That is who we are going with, the price goes up £1-200 per head plus the Child discounts go from 80% off down to 40% off for the week of the 5th April....Ouch!

The week of the 12th is the same price as the rest of the year.

Last year that week was very expensive with Esprit, so we ended up going with Mark Warner, we are benefitting from having different dates to most the country.

There are no guarantees but the impression I am getting is chances are you will be fine..... I have also been around that time in Courchevel, and there place in Courchevel is in a great location.
snow conditions
Quote:

Last year that week was very expensive with Esprit, so we ended up going with Mark Warner, we are benefitting from having different dates to most the country.

There are no guarantees but the impression I am getting is chances are you will be fine..... I have also been around that time in Courchevel, and there place in Courchevel is in a great location.

This will be my sixth time with Esprit, to be honest my kids do not need the childcare anymore but my friends still have younger ones. I have always thought the childcare was excellent but the chalet, food and cleanliness has deteriorated over the years or maybe we have just outgrown it but I did say last year would definitely be the last time as the staff were fairly hopeless. Kids not being given drinks all day even though it was 25 degrees, having no local knowledge re restaurants, markets, shops opening times etc. I have never been to Chalet hotels as I was never able to leave my kids in a room and go down to dinner, my son would be swinging off the balcony and my daughter would be crying because she is being bullied/made fun off/kept awake. It just adds so much stress that our best bet has always been to go to a chalet and put them in separate rooms, I sleep with my son and my wife with my daughter and it works well. My son has never been able to sleep and he used to constantly come out into the dining area or my daughter would come out crying saying he was doing this or that. They are a bit older now being 10 and 8 but we still need to keep them apart because he will get bored and start annoying her.
For that reason we are restricted to just a couple of resorts which are high enough that time of year, Les Gets being the best choice. We got a bit fed up in Tignes last year as there was nowhere to keep the kids ski stuff in the town so we had to carry 4 pairs of ski's whilst wearing ski boots to and from the Chalet every day, about 20 minutes. Usually they supply a minibus or you can keep the ski gear in the shop but not this year. Also the mountain food was really poor and hideously expensive, 20 Euro for half a hot dog pushed into a hole in a baguette.

Les Gets was a fantastic resort but i will not take the chance going so low in April.
snow conditions
Quote:

For that reason we are restricted to just a couple of resorts which are high enough that time of year, Les Gets being the best choice.

I meant to say Les Arc.
snow conditions
mheadbee, no one can guarente you snow in April! A freak year could mean lots of grass, but generally there will be skiing. Even in 2011 which was terrible for snow we skied back to Vallandry every day
snow report
Quote:

Our regular apartment does require lugging everything up 6 flights of stairs and I dislike it intensely

Lol

FWP
ski holidays
That's the stairs I dislike, not the apartment I hasn't to add
latest report
mheadbee, as someone who "who regularly goes this late in the year" and has been to Paradiski in a bad year I can guarantee you there will be snow and plenty to ski.

I have no objection to people preferring to fly on a skiing holiday. Why would I. But at least lets be honest about the pro's and con's.

Enjoy your trip.
latest report
I have skied almost every Easter in Les Arcs for the last 10 years and even had good snow on the last weekend of the season. The runs down to Vallandry are often thin slivers of very carefully managed soft snow or even puddles, but with a bit thought (take derby, then the Vallandry lift back down) you don't have to do them.

TBH paying £200 per person just to go a week earlier seems ridiculous (I think food, drink, rental, and even staff wages are not much different). The snow could be better or worse one week later, you never know. So I would take the second week.

As many other say, driving is often easier and usually much cheaper than flying. When my son was younger flying was a nightmare. He would get really bored in airports and fed up, the constantly lugging luggage, into car, from car to airport parking bus, from parking bus to checkin, from luggage reclaim to transfer bus or hire car, from drop off spot to chalet, which always seemed to take two journeys shattered me and it seamed to take forever. However, when we drove he fell asleep immediately and woke up somewhere around Albertville. Much easier.

Unlike skichampcouk, I live 30 minutes from the airport, but prefer the better schedules at Luton 90 minutes away, then there is the 30 minutes to get to checkin (it always seems to take that long) 30 minutes to checkin, 30 minutes for security (we are talking Luton afterall) an hours wait airside (things can go wrong so I always allow plenty of time), 90 minute flight, 30 minutes from landing to getting to car hire, 30 minutes picking up hire car (or anything upto 2 hours wait for transfer bus), 150 minutes getting to the resort (Les Arcs) and then I am the same place as if I drove all the way, but if I use the transfer bus it is still a longish hike to the apartment. OK 8 stressful hours door to door at best, but for some reason it always takes more. Driving goes like this: load car, set off, son falls asleep, 4 hours later board shuttle, 1 hour later leave Calais, 10 hours later arrive at Les Arcs, unload car, start skiing. 15 hours in total.

snowymum, Worth checking the snow train, or the normal scheduled service, my recollection is that the direct snowtrain stops well before the end of the season.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy