Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New lifts under construction in chatel

Poster: A snowHead
I've just heard from some friends that the construction of the 2 new lifts in Chatel to join linga/super chatel has begun, there's construction boards up and demolition is progressing well - great news Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This one?

http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=21305
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yep Smile 20 years of wrangling and it's finally happening
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Would save having to use the sardines bus, or knowing the cross country poling shortcut, if doing the circuit.
Must get there again some time.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great news, never bothered to get as far as Chatel.

Will it be open for this coming season?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Insiders, i'd have thought they'd have started well before now?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes stevew, according to the Mairie it will...

under a new name, they were supposed to start last Autumn but it got delayed as a public enquiry was held (or something) but work started at the beginning of July... Very Happy

It'll be great for the area as,

1, everyone who is staying in the Vonnes area won't have to trek in to town/linga to get a lift

and

2, it completes the PDS circuit Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Supposed to be finished in time for next season, yes.

I'll maybe take a drive round there later this week and see how it's progressing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Insiders, not great for everyone as there are some currently not so easy to access powder stashes that will become easily accessible... Sad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name for the ones under Leiche, it shouldn't be an issue as there's not (AIUI) a skiable link on that side of the project, and it comes up to the bottom of the Leiche poma. I suppose, however, while it might not make them more accessible, it will make them more visible. Are there some others, further round, that I'm yet to find? Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
well...under a new name, you can't please everyone, at least it'll be great for the reasons previously stated...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Insiders, don't get me wrong, it'll make that sectors links so much better, bus always a pain.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Insiders wrote:
Yes stevew

Great got flights already booked to Geneva for annual PDS weekend in March, now something more to look forward to Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm out there next week and one of the runs I do covers the areas where the lifts will go. I'll have a mooch around and report back.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Maybe this season I'll actually ski Super Chatel then Laughing
latest report
Will they actually advertise the circuit as a circuit? would hope not, since I think the infrastructure on the Swiss side is still a bit shonky in comparison? (not skied there for years, and MTB stuff only needs/uses a small subset of lifts).
snow conditions
andy, they do advertise the circuit as a circuit.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
andy, they do advertise the circuit as a circuit.

+1 it's on the piste map, two routes for the circuit.
snow report
Quote:

the infrastructure on the Swiss side is still a bit shonky in comparison

It isn't but feel free to stay away if you like
snow conditions
oh right. never used to be (a long time ago). only a "follow the white rabbit" discovery trail, which went down to the bottom of Linga and back again.

might be a bit more traffic in that case, on my favourite parts of the PdS.

MTB map is a bit different, and is very much marked and promoted, but you can do that in about 7 lifts.
ski holidays
andy, I think that the circuit although possibly not by that name and possibly not "formally" has been "marked" since early 1990s - certainly the liaisons were signed as open or closed.
snow report
It was a recognised itinerary and known by that name by my first season in '86. I imagine it dates right back to when the PDS was established in '74 - otherwise what did they establish?

Not sure shortening the circuit by two runs "completes" it though? And there's still the skis-off link through Morgins, if that's the criteria for completeness.

Anyway, the new lifts are very welcome. I might still fancy a warm-up on the bus & bubble on a cold January morning, rather than four lifts back-to-back with no skiing...
snow conditions
It always confuses me when people say about taking skis off and jumping a bus for less than 2 mins... after all how else do you get from Pleney to SuperMorzine... but people don't stamp their feet and complain so much about that part! or the same in Lets Gets... but for some reason people moan when they have to do it in other places... huh!

And i'm interested to hear about shortening the circuit by 2 runs?? they're just cutting the bus ride out!!
ski holidays
Quote:

how else do you get from Pleney to SuperMorzine

You walk. The petit train is slower.

You may not recall but back in the day (e.g. 1989) if you missed the bus from Chatel centre to Linga/PlJ at lunchtime, you were in for a bit of a wait... Mind you, if you got the bus just before lunchtime, you could always have an excellent croute at Le Kitchen.
latest report
In Les Gets you can walk across the village if there isn't a bus or the Petit Train around - I don't... I don't mind the bus bit in Chatel when we come over there in the winter - its the walk up from where the bus drops you which seems to go on and on and then up the steps, but skiing an't be all downhill can it.
We were over there a few weeks ago, walking, and we were in the middle of Chatel having taken the bus. We checked with the bus driver how often the buses went back to the lifts, yes every 20 minutes, he said. Omitted to say that there was the lunch break, and absolutely no signs anywhere saying that. Chatel was a bit dead at that stage but we did end up having a glass of wine and a crepe - and damn it was meant to be one of my '2' days.
Always good to have the lifts structure upgraded.
ski holidays
Insiders wrote:
It always confuses me when people say about taking skis off and jumping a bus for less than 2 mins... after all how else do you get from Pleney to SuperMorzine... but people don't stamp their feet and complain so much about that part! or the same in Lets Gets... but for some reason people moan when they have to do it in other places... huh!

And i'm interested to hear about shortening the circuit by 2 runs?? they're just cutting the bus ride out!!

Yes I agree, and that was my point too - I don't regard the Chatel bus ride as a compromise or incompletion of the circuit, just adds to the "ski-safari" aspect imv.

Taking the new lifts will cut-out the lower part of Linga going clockwise, or the lower part of Super-Chatel going anticlockwise. The new lifts connect at mid-mountain, not bottom stations.

The days of walking across Les Gets may be numbered. There is talk of connecting Chavanne to Mt. Chery by telecabine (again at mid-mountain). Would be quite impressive, and probably ruin Mt. Chery in the process of saving it.
latest report
shep,
Quote:

probably ruin Mt. Chery in the process of saving it

bit like the Chamossiere then - too easy now to get a whole heap of people up there quickly.
Any more news on the Mt Chery connecting lift - I first heard it was going to be behind the school, and then it was to be a bit further across.
snow conditions
Yeah, I never thought getting a bus to link up pistes was a big deal myself - although for obvious reasons lifts are a damn sight better - sometimes it blows me away the amount of people who have a bloody good Whinge about walking ANY distance in ski boots! it's not difficult plus, you are on a sports holiday walking isn't too hard... but when a bus IS in place as it's a little bit too far to walk some people have a bloody good Whinge about the fact they HAVE to get a bus, but would moan if they had to walk!!

And you can always ski all the way down to linga bottom station and catch the connect on the next pass, same with Super Chatel - you don't always have to get on the lift just because it's there...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

the lower part of Super-Chatel going anticlockwise

Never been my favourite part of the circuit anyway.
ski holidays
Pamski, Yes the banalisation and over-exploitation of the mountain is unstoppable. Do you remember the lovely knarly old Nyon black before they bulldozed that horrible red down it? Grumble, mutter, when I were a lad, jumpers for goalpost, etc etc...! Embarassed

Last I hear it was from somewhere near the basketball court to near the Belvedere, but there's not a lot of info around afaik.
snow conditions
under a new name, well I'd agree the final bit down the sketchy path is a bit rock'n'roll, but the pitch from the mid-station to the path has to be one of the best for mach10 super-G turns anywhere in the pds. And I know you love that! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
shep, you can borrow my SG skis next time we're on a powder day if you like. Oh the Aigle/Pointe de Nyon deary me what a mess that is, what a great run that used to be. Sorted men from lads, etc. Never mind the sadness at Roland's memorial.
ski holidays
Latest photos from the Vonnes construction site in Chatel for the 2 new chairlifts.

http://www.chatelweb.com/snow_reports.php

and http://www.chatelweb.com/13082014.php
snow conditions
I’m just back from a couple of weeks in Chatel and due to a total failure to track down any wifi can only now report on what I’ve seen.

Many of my favourite walks or runs were foiled by the restricted access on the Super Chatel and Linga sides of the valley where considerable work is being done and due to the earth movement and forestry the footpaths are closed.

There is evidence of the lift base construction at both Super Chatel and Vonnes and a lot of forestry and road grading in the area around L’Aity en Bas (where the road links to the Linga pistes).

The mayor was a surprise guest at our apartment block residents BBQ on Saturday and we managed to get a bit of info from the horses mouth.

- Lifts are expected to open this winter.

- The drag lift departure points at Super Chatel near the Restaurant Portes du Soleil have been removed to allow the Chairlift base to be built but will be reinstated to allow access to the snowpark/boarder cross and onwards to the main Super Chatel telecabine.

- The beginners telecorde is being replaced with a magic carpet ( I think he said the same was happening at Pre La Joux)

- The new lifts are a new (neuf – i.e. brand new from the factory) 6 man detachable Vonnes/Super Chatel and a new (nouvelle – i.e. new to the location but actually a transplant form Avoriaz I believe) 4 man detachable Vonnes/Linga. I seem to have got an education in the subtleties of the French language as well as what was happening on the lifts!

I’m still not sure exactly what will be skiable or where the pistes will run but there does seem to be the prospect of some extra easy runs.

The piste below the bottom of the Leiche draglift in the middle of Linga has been reprofiled. This is the area just after the right turn heading down from the gondola arrivals between the two restaurants. There are usually quite a few panic-stricken beginners standing at the top of the slope just after the turn peering over the edge and their slightly bolder mates are to be found slithering down the piste barely in control. It is often very icy and at an unrelenting angle can produce a very long slide after a fall. It looks as though the angle has been reduced a bit and it is significantly widened. That said it is quite difficult to see how a slope will ski until it is covered in snow but one to watch for next year.

Hopefully the lousy weather will not have set back the work too much and all will be up and running when the lifts open (according to the radio on the weekend of 29 November, weather permitting)
latest report
DJL, Interesting on the 2 chairs DJL - as info we have is that they will both be refurbed 4 man chairs - one from Avoriaz and one from Pre La Joux (the chair that hardly runs now - the Plaine Dranse). Will find out is this 6 man is a very recent upgrade - hopefully it is.
snow conditions
http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?s=285a87558c4c0f79a03faeda1d402996&showtopic=21305&st=0

The link above gives a lot of discussion (in French). I think the information about the brand new 6 man (which was from one of the apartment owners, not the mayor) might not be correct - looks like one lift is coming from Avoriaz and the other from Plain Dranse. Still it's all progress!
snow report
The old PLJ chair is being removed to be placed up Super Chatel replacing Onnaz drag lift

one of the chairs a the new liaison is going to be brand spanking new, the other reconditioned from avoriaz
latest report
Mountain Addiction, Excellent - though the question remains as to whether the new one will be 4 man or 6 man. The original plans years ago were for it to be a 6 man - but all the new drawings and other info I have seen suggest a 4 man. Whatever happens - its all good news!
snow report
According to everything I have read the brand new one is expected to be a 6 pack. I'd be surprised if the spent all this money and time building this liaison to put a 4 man in, especially with the recent increase in 6 packs on the mountain generally.
snow report
Here,

This says on the first picture the superchatel lift will be a 6 pack

http://www.residentschatel.fr/travauxliaisonsuperchatellinga/index.html
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy