Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best holdall to take on a ski season

Poster: A snowHead
I have been looking around for lightweight wheeled holdalls. I was wondering which one is the best. I have always used suitcases but when empty I find them too heavy. I need something that can take 4 months of winter clothing and helmet. What size would be good.

I have found a jeep holdall http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00DP07NK2?vs=1&tag=amz07b-21
Also found a 5 cities holdall http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00DC5NJD0?vs=1&tag=amz07b-21

Is there any other bags like this that are really good quality and can hold everything I need. Would appreciate it if you could send me some websites as well.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tdaulphi, how are you going to be travelling? If it's practical I would tend to use a backpack and a smaller wheeled bag rather than one humungous one. You need to think of something which will take up very little space once you get there - suitcases are absolutely hopeless from that point of view. I wouldn't have thought you need "really good quality" - just to make the return journey. 4 months of winter clothing shouldn't take up any more room than what you'd need for a week or so?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Both those bags look bulky - you need something which can be shoved under a bed and take up hardly any space. Soft squishy things.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
North Face duffel?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hells Bells, I use a north face duffel but it's too heavy to carry when full, but you can get loads in
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If those bags are not good enough which other holdall should I go for.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tdaulphi, no idea. You want a holdall on wheels..just get one with enough capacity. Are you flying out?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For 6 weeks last season I needed 2 holdalls, 1 for the skiing gear and a 2nd for the other wear Shocked
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Been using a dakine split roller for the last 5 years and after several flights many car journeys to the alps and one coach trip (never to be repeated) it's still as good today as when i bought it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you don't know what holdall will be best can you list some sites or shops that sell decent ones. I will be flying, probably by easyjet so luggage limit is quite low (think 15 kg).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tdaulphi, easyjet is 20kg. Wheels will make the bag heavier and will reduce the capacity. I would go for the north face duffel and use a luggage trolley. You can also carry it like a rucksack.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It has to have wheels as it will be easier to move around. Holdalls without wheels become to heavy to carry. I just want to know where I can find lightweight holdalls that can stand up to baggage handlers and hold all my belongings.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
North Face do a wheeled bag as well -- but if you're doing 4 months in the same place for the season you're trading off a more expensive bag and the weight (excess baggage charge / less stuff?) of the wheels versus the one off effort of carrying of the bag when you're not at an airport (assume baggage trollies at airports). If budget is no problem then get wheels, but otherwise I'd go for a Mountain Warehouse or North Face one without wheels (both good, and stand up to dragging on snow quite well...)

Size-wise you're looking at medium or large (70-90 L) depending on the density of the stuff you're taking and baggage allowances.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tdaulphi, OK, I guess you know what you can and can''t carry. I'm a 54 year old woman with a buggered knee and arthritic fingers...and I'd still go with the non-wheel north face if i was flying and staying in one place. You do realise that wheels are rubbish in the snow and you'll probably still have to lug it upstairs in resort wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I won't be staying in one place for the whole season, most likely two places. I won't be able to carry a holdall so it has to have wheels. I know that Pulling a holdall through the snow will be hard but it will be easier then lugging a holdall bag.
ski holidays
Tdaulphi, actually, it would be easier dragging a north face holdall through snow than something with wheels. north face duffels are shiny vinyl, wheels will clog up and you'll end up dragging it anyway
snow report
Seriously I will not be getting a holdall without wheels. I know they weigh less but i'm sure there are wheeled holdalls that are lightweight. I have taken a suitcase through the snow plenty of times and it was absolutely fine and it did not clog up the wheels.
snow conditions
Berghaus Mule 120. Big, lightweight wheels. Love mine.
ski holidays
Quote:

I have taken a suitcase through the snow plenty of times

must have been very little depth of snow, Tdaulphi.
ski holidays
No it was about 8 inches of snow
latest report
I need something they is not too expensive and does the job.
snow report
Tdaulphi, what's your budget?
ski holidays
Up to £50
latest report
Tdaulphi, I can't see you doing much better than the jeep one you linked to on amazon.
snow report
Oh, and strap the helmet to your hand luggage to save space in the bag
snow conditions
If I was to get the jeep holdall what size do I go for. I'm also worried it won't stand up to baggage handlers.
snow conditions
Tdaulphi, there's no guarantee that anything will stand up to baggage handlers, but it has good reviews and looks robust. as for size the 86L or 119L...but the 119L, if full, would probably take you over weight. could you pack all your stuff now in a suitcase and weigh it? (weigh the suitcase empty then packed to work out the weight of the stuff). Once you know the weight of your stuff add 3.5kg for the holdall - then see how close to 20kg you are and how big the pile of stuff looks compared to the dimensions of the holdall - you could measure your suitcase and compare the dimensions to the holdall.

Only you will know the size you will need - there are loads of threads on here about packing just for a week where e.g. some folk manage almost with just hand luggage and others need a massive case and hand luggage as well. It depends what you want to take and how often you'll be able to do laundry.
ski holidays
All the belonging I'm going to take weigh 22kg when in a suitcase. When the suitcase is empty it weighs 6.2kg.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tdaulphi, so the big one will come under 20kg. Sorted.
ski holidays
I have one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trespass-Pulley-Litre-Trolley-Bag/dp/B00577ZLYG?tag=amz07b-21

boots go in the end compartments

80 litre capacity. I wouldn't call it 'robust' (it is made from a cordura/nylon fabric)
No extending pull handle, but there is a grab handle on the end, or use the detachable shoulder to drag it....!
ski holidays
Tdaulphi, if anyone in your family shops at Tesco they currently have a promotion on Ellehammer luggage - v good quality Danish luggage. Includes a 90litre wheeled case - £55 with enough of the stickers. http://www.tesco.com/direct/ellehammer-28-spinner-suitcase-black/264-2934.prd?icid=Ellehammer_trade_slot2

quite lightweight
snow report
Unless you are planning on living out of it, in which case I can't guarantee its longevity

holdall 90 litres http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9154885.htm

suitcase 93l http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1703289.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

We have a medium sized case from the same range, we travel quite a lot (it probably flies return once a month) and not only is it still going strong after 4 years, we invariably have luggage allowance to spare (I should say we rarely fly with ski boots). These cases probably save you 2-3 kgs empty compared to just about anything else.

And they're not exactly expensive.
snow report
Mrs M has got one of these. It's really good quality and the zips are orange wink

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/mountain-equipment-wet-dry-kit-bag-100l-65110085?id_colour=124
latest report
Tdaulphi, if you're going for 4 months then you really only need to pack for two weeks. Unless you really do have that many pairs of pants / knickers / socks / etc.

In truth there's no point buying something you can't carry and you'd be better off with two smaller bags than one big one. Although if you're only staying in two places over four months then is mobility really that much of an issue.

A +1 here for North Face duffels. They have backpack straps and if you can't fit your belongings in a large one of those and boot bag then you're taking too much...
snow report
Tdaulphi, pack boxers rather than thongs. 1 pair of boxers can be worn for 4 days without washing, a thong tends to chafe on day 2..... I let you work that one out. There you go, ive just saved you loads of room in your bag Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy