Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Abolish VAT on Junior Ski Helmets and Goggles

Poster: A snowHead
Have signed this petition its not of my creation and i'm not sure if anyone on here thinks its a good idea but if you do sign away!

It is recognised within the UK snow sports industry that ski helmets and ski goggles are necessary safety equipment, and not fashion accessories. We the undersigned want the government to abolish VAT on Junior Ski Helmets and Junior Ski Goggles

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/67842
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can agree with helmets, but why goggles?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, it would be nice if everything was free of VAT, but on the basis that we have to get the tax revenue from somewhere then I'm not sure I agree I particularly agree with exempting kids helmets and goggles. Like PaulC1984 I can't see the connection with goggles. They aren't safety equipment. I think there are potentially two reasons to exempt helmets:
1. If you want to encourage their use. I don't think this is particularly relevant as their use is already mandatory in almost every country for children.
2. Some people would be unable to afford helmets. Again, rather weak. Skiing is a relatively rich person's sport and helmets are available for as little as £9.99. The VAT on a budget helmet is little more than the cost of a beer. If you can't afford that, then you can't really afford to take your family skiing.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 25-07-14 18:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
^^ This
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
foxtrotzulu, agreed.

Somebody bought a job lot and wants to shift with discount wink Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bones, Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Somebody bought a job lot and wants to shift with discount

Exactly what I thought!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
foxtrotzulu, fools......, eh Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Skiing is a relatively rich person's sport and helmets are available for as little as £9.99. The VAT on a budget helmet is little more than the cost of a beer. If you can't afford that, then you can't really afford to take your family skiing.

This.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wild guess - the proposer works for a PR company, one of whose clients is a manufacturer/distributor of helmets and goggles.

Google, google google ..

Ooh! Funny that.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
noggy, ggrrrr winds me up. Petitions should be there for genuine reasons rather than profiteering!

PS capstone, please dont think i am getting at you in anyway, im an advocate of helmets, especially with kids.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If the spelling wasn't so abysmal it would probably help it to be taken more seriously.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PaulC1984,

no offence taken thought it was a good idea maybe bad motivation from the originator but still worth a look IMO
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
noggy wrote:
Wild guess - the proposer works for a PR company, one of whose clients is a manufacturer/distributor of helmets and goggles..

Either that or has a freakishly small head.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
capstone wrote:
...... It is recognised within the UK snow sports industry that ski helmets and ski goggles are necessary safety equipment, and not fashion accessories.

Show me where..?
snow report
allanm, Can't they be a bit of both?? I will always where a lid on a mountain / doing freestyle / racing. They are a requirement for comps. I do also recognize though that they are a fashion accessory to most - you only have to look at the different helmets that different genres of skiing/boarding wear (ok so I know chin guards are functional rather than fashion)

I can see this is going to turn into a helmet / no helmet thread Happy
latest report
Since childrens clothing is zero rated, as are safety equipment such as childrens car seats, cycle helmets, motorcycle helmets, it does not seem logical to charge 20% VAT on Skiing helmets (especially for children)- if a ski helmet also gets a cycle helmet classification does it become zero rated? I suspect the only reason ski helmets are not zero rated is that they were not really around when the rules were made.
snow report
£200 pair of goggles necessary for safety reasons, not a fashion accessory? Yeah, right Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
pam w, See, i knew somebody would be with me on this Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I would like to abolish VAT on everything that I personally buy as I already pay enough tax, where do I sign Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy