Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Andorra vs Passo Tonale

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,
I hope someone will be able to help me , we are group of beginners second time to ski&snowboard last year we have been in Borovetz Bulgary and the snow was really poor:(
This year we wish to go to more chalenging place and we have narrowed our options to passo tonale or andorra , both seems to be fine and fit our budget.
Any one who been in both can highlight me please ? Thanks in advance..
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Michaeld, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I've stayed in Arinsal in Andorra and skied for a day in Passo (from the Brenta Dolomites - Folgarida/Marileva).

Arinsal:
Pleasant, fairly traditional town in a valley where the ski area is accessed by gondola from the town centre. There are plenty of hotel options that are within a 5 minute walk of the gondola which accesses the main ski area and where there is a large ski station - ski schools, ski hire and locker hire can all be managed from this central location, should you so desire.

The chair lift access further up the mountain is good and the runs ideal for beginners/improvers. As one gets more confidence, there is an further gondola linking with Pal where there are some really pleasant, tree-line pistes.

The town of Arinsal offers some lively bar options, quieter places and some good restaurant options. Plenty of on-mountain options, none of which I found overly pricey (caveat - this was about 8 years ago). As for ski schools, plenty of Brit instructors - my personal experience was extremely positive.

Passo Tonale:
A long, spread out town that accesses the majority of the ski area directly behind one side (in the main), so access to the slopes is generally quite good. The resort is high, so probably more snow-sure than Arinsal and much of Andorra - not that that is a definite issue.

The terrain is well-suited to beginners. Over the years there have been quite a few posters who have declared their affection for the place having learnt there.

Personally, I though most of the terrain to be very samey - many pistes are up and down and side by side along much of one side of the town. There are other options, but that was the over-riding impression. Again, may well suit beginners.

I found the town rather straggly with no sense of a centre and on the scruffy side. Arinsal is much nicer. Again, this probably shouldn't affect your decision-making.

Again, personally, I wouldn't go back to Passo and, in hindsight, would have preferred not to have wasted a day there - Folgarida/Marileva and Madonna do Campiglio is much prettier and the skiing is more varied/challenging, even for relative beginners/improvers (might be worth looking at this area IMHO).

On balance, for the whole experience, I'd probably suggest Andorra (Arinsal/Pal from experience or maybe Soldeu from other comments on sH).

You don't mention the time of year you're planning on going? If not peak season, always aim high....which brings Passo back into play, I suppose.

Do fire away if you have any specific questions Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can definitely recommend the Grandvalira ski area in Andorra, with Soldeu being a particularly good resort. Huge ski area (210km) which is perfect for intermediates, so you'll be able to ski most of the area. Good snow record, and great snow making facilities just in case it is a bad snow year. Extensive and modern ski lift infrastructure. And some of the best ski schools (with British instructors). Plus the resort of Soldeu has some great pubs/bars with lots of live music, and a few clubs, in case you're after a lively bit of apres ski.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I haven't been to Arinsal but agree with Cacciatore. My first trip was to Passo Tonale and it was fine, but... I've no desire to go back. You don't really get the feel of being in a ski resort. The runs you'd be doing are basically parallel lines along the face of the hill. You don't get much feeling of 'travelling' anywhere until you get on the harder red runs, which you might not want to do. The town is functional but there's not much going on.

People seem to have good things to say about Andorra, so if the price is good, go for that.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Michaeld,
Pas de la Casa - the town is a dump full of drunken young boarders. That may or may not be a problem, but the skiing is OK and I believe that they have improved the lifts since I was there last snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I did a season in Tonale and have skied both areas in Andorra. Tonale is best if you're going early or late season as it's snow-sure with a glacier - it's also near to Pejo, Folgarida, Marrileva and Madonna di Campiglio should you be looking to venture further field. However, it's pretty bleak and very cold in january!
Vallnord is a nice ski area, great for beginners. Arinsal has some good bars and is only 20 mins from Andorra la Vella. Grandvalira is the best ski area of the three but not the greatest if you're beginners as you won't see the benefits of the larger ski area - however it does have the choice of places to stay from the concrete jungle that is pas de la cas through to the more upmarket Soldeu.
If you're mainly beginners i'd head to Arinsal in Vallnord (all hotels will be walking distance from lifts / good apres / 93 km of skiing aimed at beginners/intermediates)
Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mikitis180, agree with the comments - however the OP mentions that this will be their third week skiing so i personally think that Grandvalira would be perfect for them Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've not done Passo Tonale, but Grandvalira would fit the bill if you're a mix of beginners through intermediates. They have an excellent school too with lots of British instructors. Depending on how the group is made up Pas de la Casa is more lively and not that pretty whereas Soldeu still has some great bars but a little more up market but still mostly down to earth.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Handy Turnip wrote:
Mikitis180, agree with the comments - however the OP mentions that this will be their third week skiing so i personally think that Grandvalira would be perfect for them Smile

Err, maybe not....depends on how one reads the post - am guessing a non-native English speaker wrote it. They could be looking at their second week with their first having been in Borovetz.

Aaannnnyway, pedantry aside, Grandvalira is certainly more challenging, if that's what they're genuinely after Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cacciatore, fair point, I've had a reread and you're right it could be interpreted either way.

I've not been to Passo Tonale, so can't comment, but from your comments it sounds like it is well suited to beginners. That said, I skiied Grandvalira for my first ever week, and we still managed to ski a lot of blues, so even for 2nd week skiiers there would be plenty of runs to do Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My vote is for Passo Tonale, very rarely crowded pistes, plenty of easy and more challenging runs, glacier skiing if needed, good choice of accommodation, linked to Ponte De Legno for tree lined harder reds and blacks and a challenging black run down to the village from the glacier. Nice cafes, lively bars and plenty of other activities (there is even a huskey breeding place on the side of a blue run for the "Aaaahhh" factor)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy