Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Arcteryx ski jacket

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at the above brand ( and I've checked out all the other biggies but prefer A/T) as a major treat to myself ,but want to make sure I get the " right" one for me. Going to be using it for off-piste weeks so needs to be a bit more than a "rain coat" type. Any advice appreciated. Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have the Rush and find it perfect!

Hoji also uses it, endorsements dont get any bigger than that!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've used the beta ar for the last two winters, it's been great. It's light, very packable, and bomb proof. I have also used it in the welsh and scottish hills, where it's short cut, which is good for skiing, means you need over trousers if it's very wet. If you get one that's not too tight you can layer underneath to accommodate any weather.

If I lost it I would get another exactly the same.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sidewinder SV
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Buddy, they are all great, just pick the one that has the weight/functions you like, matches your pants and is on sale somewhere!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.

http://youtube.com/v/EPYuJoqkW2g

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Hardshell-Jacket-Reviews/Arcteryx-Alpha-FL

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 24-07-14 14:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon, If I had that kinda money my friend WinkWinkWink

dulcamara, The Beta Ar is the favourite at the mo, around what I can afford to spend and some good deals around Wink Mind you I also like your one, the Rush but can't find any on sale.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

http://youtube.com/v/tGTh1ieUeWU
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
depends on the fit you are after, had tried some on a couple of weeks ago

sidewinder is a more generous cut than others with a "relaxed" fit
The new top of the range Caden breast and sleeve pocket straight zipper exp fit e3D gore pro N80p but rather ugly colours imo
Theta SVX exp fit longer in body chest and sleeve pocket plus long hand pockets N80p
Rush tighter fit exp no breast pocket and hand pockets are fuller length and not N80 all over
Alphas SV runs a little short and no internal goggle pocket but nice tight fit with their Athletic fit.

The Caden is a great jacket just wish it wasn't ugly !
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
briand6868, what's the best you found the ar for?
I like it because it doubles up nicely as a climbing waterproof. Try one on they are quite a generous fit.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jbob, I think its on SnR FOR 292£ but now as i delve deeper into this murky world I also like the look/sound/reviews of the Alpha fl @ e350 direct from Arcteryx. I'm happy to pay e350, and there seems enough choice at that price, so want the most suitable for around that money, will go to the chains and try them all though :)Also I'm 5ft 9 and 77kg so I like trim fit stuff but I'm guided by fit and suitability more than colour/price, a bit like boots I suppose ( says me opening up the usual can o' worms) Wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
briand6868 wrote:
spyderjon, If I had that kinda money my friend WinkWinkWink

Or you could look at it another way...
I was lined up to buy a new Sidewinder SV because my really old one (12+ years) was showing a few signs of age.
However the factory shop told me to bring it in to get fixed up, so I did. Under warranty they put a new zip on, fixed up a few hems, and a discoloured patch - good for another 12 years now snowHead
So yes it did cost GBP400, but over it's life have averaged about probably 40 to 50 days per year - so I think that works out pretty good value.

Arcteryx customer service is great - they also fixed up my self-destroyed pants (big crash + ski edges + goretex = holes!)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stuarth, I've heard their aftercare and warranty is legendary, can you send them gear to be repaired from overseas ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
briand6868 wrote:
...... as i delve deeper into this murky world I also like the look/sound/reviews of the Alpha fl @ e350 direct from Arcteryx.

The Alpha FL has received excellent reviews from many sources .....

http://www.testberichte.de/a/funktionsjacke/magazin/outdoor-4-2014/391725.html

http://www.testberichte.de/a/funktionsjacke/magazin/klettern-5-2014/401030.html
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looking back I think dulcamara had it right in the first response. The Rush looks to be pretty much the same as the Alpha FL with the addition of pit zips and a snow skirt.

http://youtube.com/v/_H4O-BGivT8
ski holidays
briand6868, I think so the repair centre is in CH. I have had a couple things go back for repair all done very well except for one uniform they could fix and replaced FOC.
snow conditions
DB, Great vid earlier, answers a lot of the " whats the difference between" type questions. Also shows what the higher end jackets are giving you for the extra money.
ski holidays
briand6868 wrote:
DB, Great vid earlier, answers a lot of the " whats the difference between" type questions. Also shows what the higher end jackets are giving you for the extra money.

I had an Arcteryx jacket a few years ago, it was very high quality and durable but thick and heavy. Eventually decided to change it for an eVent ski touring Jacket. The Event jacket is no where near as robust but packs away into a rucksack better (where it spends most of it's time when I'm out skiing / touring) and the eVent jacket is certainly more breathable.
Maybe a heavy duty jacket (thicker and heavier) is less breathable, maybe eVent really does breathe much better - maybe it was a combination of both these effects.

Whilst out in Swiss mountains (4000m + Peaks) a couple of years back - the majority of people in the huts had "hard faced softshells" similar to this.

http://youtube.com/v/ci7Qn4ozqvA

http://youtube.com/v/yHBCt4QHzdA

Made me think how durable/waterproof a jacket do you really need.
ski holidays
Sorry to be a pain folks - had decided on the Beta AR , but notice that it doesn't have a powder skirt. Question is, how have people got on with this or, does the snow get that far up, if you cinch in the bottom hem does that do the trick or does it impede movement. Don't want to spend big bucks ( for me ) on this only to get snowy later Wink
ski holidays
I have a Sabre SV, had it for the last five seasons and looks as good as new. Highly recommended.

And it has a snow skirt.
snow conditions
Whitters, Looked at the Sabre, Rush and Sidewinder - all a bit more than I wanted to pay but may have to go that route to get exactly what I need. As most say, this jacket is not just a jacket it is an investment Smile
snow conditions
briand6868, I always thought a powder skirt essential but my current jacket doesn't have one and I'm 3 seasons happy with it including not a small number of powder days.

I now think they're unnecessary.
latest report
under a new name, same here I usually bin em now if they zip off... on the Arcteryx selection it is mainly down to pockets, where and how many and if you like hard or soft shell..
latest report
under a new name, skimottaret, Lads, nice one, thanks. Beta AR it is then, now just have to get it passed by the war office Toofy Grin
ski holidays
briand6868,
If you can - try the jacket on with the layers you wear for the coldest weather to make sure the jacket has enough volume.
ski holidays
Another vote for the Arc Rush, awesome jacket.
snow conditions
just ordered a Caden for next season... fingers crossed on fit as it sounds they are slightly bigger than my old sidewinder SV and that the lime green isn't too too in your face...
snow report
Quote:

that the lime green isn't too too in your face...

Buddy, it's Arc'teryx, what's the point of shelling out that much if it doesn't shout "My owner is a badass rich guy, who is better than your current man!"
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
haha and here I was thinking I love the fit having monkey arms and long legs and that they just work Smile
snow report
dulcamara, Love it. Just waiting to get " the big cheque" and I'll be a wannabee rich guy Wink
snow report
Join us!!! Little Angel

snow conditions
My Caden jacket finally arrived and very sweet it is, better fit than I thought, more "athletic" than the old sidewinder. Cant wait to try it out !
latest report
My Lorum mid-layer just arrived as well. It's the older half zip design in Polartec Pro fabric with a high snug collar. They changed the model a while back to a full length zip & the price went up from £120 to £160 Shocked. Sportpursuit had a few of the old half zip designs on sale for £60 a few weeks ago which were mostly XS's/XXL's but I think I managed to score the only L size they had Cool
latest report
Have an Arc Straibo on order. Looking forward to trying it as a mid-layer under an Arc shell.
latest report
the rush jacket rocks
snow report
Loving the Caden jacket after a few weeks wear, perfect fit and loads of pockets if you need that... have just ordered a Thorium AR hoody to go with as my trusty Patagonia down sweater is on its last legs after 10 years or so... some deals to be had at S&R
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
...have just ordered a Thorium AR hoody...

I've Cerium which is the same but a bit lighter weight. You won't be disappointed.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy