Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

March 2015 - Where to go?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

We are a group of 6 looking for a beginner friendly resort for mid-March next year. Corvara (with Collets's) is our first option mainly because the scenery looks stunning and because it seems to be a nice and relaxed resort with plenty of easy pistes where we can hopefully progress to slow intermediates by the end of the week . Problem is that we would be going in March (probably 15th to 22nd) and there are concerns in the group about the conditions we will find considering that the season there ends early in April.

Last year we went to La Plagne in March and it was fine (as far as I can tell as it was my first time on the slopes) with good weather and lots of snow so we also considered other high-altitude French resorts such as Tignes, Val Thorens and Alpe d'Huez for next year. Holiday packages in France are a bit cheaper as well with some good 2 x 1 lift passes deals with Crystal for next year.

Should we stick with Corvara or are we better of looking for a more "snow sure" resort? Apparently the weather in some high-altitude resorts such as Val Thorens can also be an issue so maybe high-altitude is no guarantee of good general conditions either?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi and welcome to snowHead

I've skiied through Corvara (but stayed elsewhere) the week before you suggest (the 2nd week in March) twice in the last 3 years. Overall, the conditions in the Dolomites were a bit dry in 2012, but the complete opposite in 2014 (see the Birthday Bash 2014 thread for what 5+ metres of snow looks like!), but by that point in March coverage was still good, if a bit slushy in the afternoon (this year, it was 20deg+...)

Corvara itself is at about 1500m if I recall, so the skiing in this area is mostly 1500-2500m so a reasonable altitude. The area is also renowned for its snowmaking and preservation, and as Corvara is on the Sella Ronda, they work very hard to keep the place open.

Personally, I would go for it. The area is very good for beginners, and by that time of year you will likely have lots of sunshine which is the best conditions for learning in and also fo drinking beer on the terrace Cool
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's the week that rob and co. go to San Cassiano (same area as Corvara) for the InsideOut training week, iirc. They wouldn't choose that week if the snow was likely to be non-existent.
I imagine it'll be nice and sunny. And that whole area is perfect for beginners.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Scarlet and Andy, this was really helpful! We had loads of sunshine last year in La Plagne and that definitely made it a lot more enjoyable. Even if the snow is not perfect the beer on the terrace overlooking the Dolomites sounds good enough for me. Cool
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A different TO suggested Cervinia as it's more snowsure an apparently the skiing would be superior to the Dolomites area in March. Cervinia also seems to be well reccomended for begginers and intermediates.

Can anyone offer some insight on how the two compare in skiing conditions and general atmosphere?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cervinia is very beginner friendly, with beginners runs at high altitude. It is high, but in March the sun is strong and Cervinia's slopes face south, so can get very heavy despite the altitude. Corvara is also suitable, and in my opinion a much nicer area, and definitely the one I would go for.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I try to go to the Dolomites for the third week in March each year. They have an offer called 'Super Sun' which gives 7 days accommodation for the price of 6, 6 days ski pass for the price of 5 and (I think) 20% off ski hire. This year it runs after the 14th March so that's when I will be going. It is usually hot and sunny but we have never had too little snow. Take suncream. Enjoy.
http://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10152674_10203068925620332_7663071716371313200_n.jpg?oh=5b31962bb385e2f717fe2c47083f4256&oe=5453B663&__gda__=1413014790_c66579a6ce0bae8aaa4f95d17e5ecbbf
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy