Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpine Botanists - what are these flowers ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
They give off a real aroma that comes and goes in swathes of perfume as you walk through them.

Previous years been really hard to identify what flower it is that is giving the scent, but after all the recent wet weather and now really hot sunshine they are out in abundance.

It's the purple flowers which almost resemble honey suckle.

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Weathercam, I just happened to have a Fleurs des Alpes guide close to hand and it looks like Trèfle des Alpes (trifolium alpinum).
Info says its usually seen in the Central & Southern French Alpine meadows, between 1700 & 2700m altitude (fits your location I believe),
flowers June to August.
Looks like a cracking day from your pics. I'm well-jeal Razz
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
French Honeysuckle ?

Fabaceae.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6b/Fabaceae_flower.jpg&imgrefurl=http://sr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabaceae&h=194&w=259&tbnid=CLSc1FPMMn300M:&zoom=1&tbnh=150&tbnw=200&usg=__E4enxmzMCDTl2JOYaa2KmNS28LI=&docid=dMmpD9jBak9uSM&itg=1&sa=X&ei=nkPJU8-RB_Sw7AaPqYCwAQ&ved=0CHQQ_B0wCg
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snow Beard, well done that's it !

Have been further Googling and many a French site refers to the scent / taste as Licorice. I've tried Googling Liquorice but it seems even any English description has "licorice"

"Mountain licorice (Bot) a kind of clover (Trifolium alpinum), found in the Alps. It has large purplish flowers and a sweetish perennial rootstock"

Here's the other mut

Carpets of flowers were stunning, and the altitude "between 1700 & 2700" was spot on !

And for Serre Chevalier groupies this was on the Vallons.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Weathercam,

Trifolium is clover, wouldn't you recognize that?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
musher, the leaves aren't quite the same as our British variety. this botanical drawing shows them more clearly
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
musher, not very good with flowers, that's why it's taken me night on a couple of years to work this out, or should I say ask the question of others Puzzled

Talk tonight was about going up looking for Genepi as should be a lot around as so many flowers out at the moment.

And looking at Google images even I should be able to recognise that!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Glad to be of help Weathercam
Best wishes for a successful Genepi hunt - tell the truth though, you really mean you're all going out for a few shots of Génépi don't you Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Weathercam, you will need to go high, and follow a local, they guard their génepi crop closely.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Weathercam,

You'll find a good one in the coop in Sauze wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy