Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations for a mid-September walking holiday in the Swiss Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking to spend a week in the Swiss Alps this coming September, during the week of 13-20th September.  Do Snowheads have any recommendations as to a good place to go?  I'm a fit and experienced hillwalker - I've previously done trips in the Tarantaise, Tatras, and on the glacial Chamonix-Zermatt Haute Route.  I'm looking for something reasonably challenging, i.e. with ascents/descents > 1000m per day and around 6-8 hours walking time.  I will be alone on this trip so non-glacial routes only.  I'm currently undecided as to whether to base myself in one location for the week or go hut-to-hut.  

I will self-drive so any location is possible, and I can also move easily to different starting points if based in one place.  I'm aware I'll be going at the tail end of the season and places will start to close, or only be open on weekends.  I'd prefer to be somewhere where things are still fairly open, as it would be nice to aim for lunch stops at Cabanes on at least some of the days.  

I've got a vague notion of going to Zinal, as I loved it (and the hotel I stayed in) when I was there skiing in early April.  It was pretty quiet then though, so not sure what it will be like in September.  I'm pretty self-sufficient and happy to entertain myself, but would probably find it a bit weird if I was the only guest in the hotel.  

Any suggestions gratefully received.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gämsbock, given your name I take it you speak German? Don't know about the Swiss Alps, but my sister is doing a transalp from Oberstdorf to Meran this summer. Might be of interest?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Steilhang, I'm by no means fluent but can get by.

I'm quite tempted but it might be a bit complicated logistically for this trip as I need to be in Basel by Sunday 21st and need to bring my car. Is your sister's trip the week of 13-20th September? My dates are fixed to this week, so if dates match, I'd be interested in finding out more. 
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gämsbock, no, she's going in august, so no match there I'm afraid.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gämsbock,
Are you flying to/from Basel?

We usually fly to either Basel or Zurich, then base ourselves somewhere nice with a railway station and get the half price rail tickets. That way we can wander pretty much wherever we want. We're going to Meiringen in July. That gives us access to Hasliberg and the Reichenbach Falls for local climbing, the Aare gorge is very nice (especially if it is hot), train to Murren/Wengen/Interlaken etc. for day trips and if you haven't done it (even if you have), the Ballenberg outdoor museum is a great day out.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
musher, I'm driving over from the UK. Thanks for the suggestions - I'll look into them.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
will echo musher about Ballenberg Museum (I know its not mountain walking) but it's a great place to visit http://ballenberg.ch/en/Welcome they do daily demonstrations of different crafts and you can check whats going on for the week ahead online, today would have been a good day to go with fresh bread being baked but they have a host of other things going on and ots of things to see, not just the old buildings from all over the country
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
D G Orf,

The last time I was there they were doing things with apples which was perfect for me Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
musher, have been there twice I think the first time in the early 80's and it has expanded a lot over the years, the first time I went there I was somewhat dependent on Swiss friends to translate for me but now they are kind enough to provide English translations and I suspect many staff can speak pretty good English like most Swiss, I've seen some fascinating things there, a few I recall include a demonstration creating wooden water pipes, the various meats slowly smoke curing in the rafters of the farmhouse kitchen, the apothecaries house and garden, charcoal burning and I was sorry to have missed the grape crushing by just a few days
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy