Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Worst Summer weather for a while in the French Alps ?

Poster: A snowHead
musher, Very Happy Lovely plant, isn't it?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some of the verbenas smell lemony.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The UK is having a fairly reasonable summer. Next couple of days will be hot as far north as Lancashire.

We probably shouldn't be too surprised about England reciprocating the weather in the Alps. It is just far enough away to be on the other side of an anticyclone. Weather looks good in the French Alps over the next 3 days with pressure building. snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Weathercam, your a jinx. face it. stay out of the mountans for the good of the rest of us
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Charliebigpotatoes, not really the case as last winter down here in the Sarf we had superb conditions rolling eyes

Huge cloud burst down in Briancon late yesterday as the storm clouds that build up had to let off some of their energy, just a lottery if it happens to be over you wink

Anyway off out to do some proper cycling without the need to take a lift or transport to get up the mountain Laughing

Further Edit maybe Charliebigpotatoes there's an element of truth in your statement, and it's the precipitation that follows me around Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Weathercam, oooh, looks like good singletrack!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

http://youtube.com/v/w1fC6WUOCnA
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weathercam wrote:
last winter down here in the Sarf we had superb conditions rolling eyes

Glad you appreciate it now. Although I seem to recall some very negative posts at the time.

stevomcd, that's what I thought. Madeye-Smiley And I was already thinking about checking out Serre Che next summer. There's been talk round here of a return to Megavalanche, but I'm not inspired by the idea of spending more than a couple of days in AdH (and even less so by the idea of L2A for the Mountain of Hell, much as I like a beer in the sun in Venosc after a run or six down there). From winter visits I'm pretty confident that there's going to some good singletrack to be found, and the proximity to known epicness in Montgenevre and La Grave is very appealing. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I seem to recall some very negative posts at the time.

Me too. Early on (ie in the run up to Christmas) I recall some extremely green pictures, too and Hells Bells was resigned to a Christmas without snow, though thankfully, once the snow started, it wasn't too bad at all.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Custard the Rabbit, there were rumours of a 6 day stage race a la Trans Savoie between Grenoble and Turin a year or two back. That must mean there's plenty of proper singletrack out there. We all know there's only one way to ride it and that's down. Pinned Cool
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sharkymark wrote:
Pinned Cool

You're planning the emergency surgery already? rolling eyes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Custard the Rabbit, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Think I was only negative when we arrived and there was zero snow and opening of lifts were put back a week, so I might have been a little negative rolling eyes

Then when the snow came it just carried on from Dec through to March - and I'd like to see a negative post I made then (!) though others did comment that they might opt for sunshine and good piste conditions rather than white out and powder.

Yesterday was in a great area for you MTB dudes and weather was perfect, though clouds were bubbling up but we stayed dried and temps on patio hit 28.5.

Then circa 20:30 had a call from my daughter in Tignes and after a sunny day they had huge heavy hail storms the like of which she had never seen before.

And this morning she was working early and has just posted this !

Not too sure if that is snow or more hail Puzzled

Though looking at the other pictures weather up there this morning does not look too good.

Whilst here in Serre not a cloud in the sky, going out on the road bike but have a nasty feeling I might end up on more unpaved roads though maps show them as paved.

It's an old military road that gave access to some of the Briancon forts and summer villages that then goes on up to above Montgenevre, reckon I'll be wishing for a MTB again.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weathercam wrote:

Anyway glad I have my Paramo gear when hiking Cool

This was at La Gardiole 2753 above the Col de Granon 2404 just after the snow storm on the way up
[/u]

brilliant, nothing says English billy rambling in the alps like paramo
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
milton9999, would have totally agreed with you a few years ago, and I was SO skeptical about it, but till you try it and the new designs etc etc

And the intertweb is full of converted evangelical peeps going on about the stuff how they too thought it was dire till they started using it after seeing their mates bone dry and warm whilst their goretex event had given up.

Seems that they have got their act together away from the Bill Oddie look, and the fact that nigh on all the UK mountain rescue teams use the gear says something
snow conditions
What happened to play the ball not the man?
ski holidays
another few days of rain, we had snow above 2300 last night
snow report
Weathercam, I want to actually give you a bit of support here. I completely agree with you that the weather has been godawful. In the French alps. We also roadcycle most days and run a chalet with guests who will get out in most weather and yet after a few days of driving rain even they give up. The rain has been relentless and even the mountain bikers are not going out. To the other silly posters unless you have been here for the last month you do not understand the effect on local businesses etc so stop trying to convince yourselves it is a normal summer.
ski holidays
It has been quite vile since Sunday. Due to pick back up for the weekend tho' Cool
snow report
Well, let's hope so. I'm not that bothered personally but when people are spending money to come out road biking it is a real shame for them. They come out every year and apart from may/early June weather has been unpredictable at best. Unless you're here yearly it seems you just don't 'get it'
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
It has been quite vile since Sunday. Due to pick back up for the weekend tho' Cool

missus said bad weather next week though Sad

Another couple of weeks of this and we'll have to say that Gav' called it.
snow report
As far out as Cham Met are saying, "Friday to Sunday : summer condition with diurnal instability ‑ sunny morning ‑ warm and cloudy in the afternoon with thundery shower risk."

My lawn is looking very green wink
snow report
Quote:

brilliant, nothing says English billy rambling in the alps like paramo

I might be a billy -- but I'm a dry billy Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

nothing says English billy rambling in the alps like paramo

what a daft observation - says more about the observer than the observed, to my mind.
snow report
Tis really grim at the moment Crying or Very sad

I've managed to do stuff most days, out early on the bike and back before the heavens open, but I'm wearing autumn gear, water proof socks, 3/4 leggings and jacket, plus water proof in back pocket and so far I've stayed dry but I see many a poor wet cyclist coming back down the road drenched in the afternoon.

The only people here that don't seem to mind are the kayakers Laughing

Had two mates do the Etape du Tour (big cycle stage of the Tour de France down in the Pyrenees) last Sunday and weather was really bad with numerous cases of hypothermia. Today sees the actual racing on that stage (Col du Tourmalet and Hautacam) and just been speaking to client based down in Pau and forecast there is for rain today and tomorrow Sad

OH went back to the UK yesterday, she was here for just over two weeks, and in that time we only had two days of unbroken sunshine.

And that seems to be the theme (here), in any one week we might see one day of unbroken sunshine and a dry evening, then the next day starts off sunny and then by mid afternoon chances of a storm are high and it's a lottery if you get caught, then for the rest of the week it's back to dry mornings and wet afternoons with the occasional day of persistent rain.

I'm heading back to the UK middle of next week (so watch the weather break there) going up to Tignes for a couple of days before and my daughter still saying how bad it's been there.

So does indeed look like might be sunny for the weekend, then looks like normal weather patterns return.

above image from our webcam
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:

I'm heading back to the UK middle of next week [/url]

phew, I think you've jinxed the summer; looking forward to a glorius August. Our local pool has only opened a couple of days so far since the start of July.

Very Happy
ski holidays
Must say it's been a cracking summer in my bit if England. Keeps taking me by surprise that I really should be using sun cream.
ski holidays
davidof, brother's been moaning too that he's only sailed a couple of times up at his sailing club at Lac Paladru which I'm sure you know!

Weather clearing a bit so hoping to get out on the bike to grab some more vertical for a certain challenge Cool

Though will probably be Granon again just in case weather closes in, it's a killer Sad

Some guys back home were "Everesting" yesterday, 68 times up Firle Beacon - this guy did 20 http://www.strava.com/activities/169734857

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 24-07-14 8:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Must admit that we haven't yet experienced too much of the stifling heat that makes sleep difficult that we often have seen by now.
ski holidays
Ah well, here's hoping for an improvement before we head out there in 4 weeks time.
Very Happy
ski holidays
Hells Bells, it has to happen sooner or later!

The main reason I'm coming back is not the weather, but the roads are just getting too busy at all times throughout the day and not conducive to cycling on the road, I noticed this last August hence I came out earlier this year.

Just don't know where all the people are going all the time. Pont D'Alpe was rammed yesterday, at least plenty of places to get away from the hordes.
ski holidays
Weathercam, it will be the end of the French holidays when we come out, so hopefully not as bad traffic wise. We prefer the start of July, but hubby had used all his annual leave skiing so we had to wait a few weeks.
latest report
Hells Bells, actually I think they are all just driving around inanely as their cars are the only guaranteed dry place to be in Laughing
ski holidays
hoping this will all blow over (possibly literally) by the time we are camping in bourg st maurice in two weeks' time... our previous two camping trips to the Alps have seen 30C temperatures most days, with only a few days rain across 4 weeks total
snow report
Looks like it's going to be pissing down in Hasliberg all next week, now do I take Gore-Tex or Paramo Toofy Grin
snow report
musher, Laughing
latest report
musher wrote:
Looks like it's going to be pissing down in Hasliberg all next week, now do I take Gore-Tex or Paramo Toofy Grin

Neither, for that sort of weather it's between X-Box or Playstation 4 wink
snow report
DB,

I'd rather watch the bottom of a beer glass snowHead
snow report
Weathercam, i'd rather ride on FR roads than GB roads....FR drivers usually more considerate. I appreciate that a lot of the mountain roads are narrow and don't need much traffic to cause problems.
snow report
Well I'm glad I had my 10 days out in June, when it was glorious. Sounds grim at the moment. I have friends going out next week but I'm not back out till Sept/Oct, and I'll have to make a last minute decision about dates anyway, because of family stuff going on.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy