Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Worst Summer weather for a while in the French Alps ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hells Bells, wrong end of the stick I'm afraid, twas not you that riled me, though please take my post in "t'ut other thread as a bit of humour please"

XX
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

No bitchiness from me that I can see. My only reply to you was in response to your couch potato post.

agreed - the "couch potato" post was the first unpleasant one of the thread. I also wondered, like Pedantica, what sporting prowess had to do with one's ability to notice the weather. The last day of my June holiday was spent driving down to Annecy, having a gentle stroll around the lake and the old town and stopping several times for refreshments, including a cold beer by the canal. The magnificence of the weather made a big difference, as it had on days when we had spent some hours sat on my terrace under a sun umbrella eating lunch, listening to the cow bells and enjoying the view of the mountains as well as the days we'd walked a fair few miles, if not anything which would qualify as proper jockery.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Weathercam wrote:
and as I've tried to stress in this thread, it's not just my inane observations, I'm just merely passing on what I've heard rolling eyes

I was only commenting on the weather around my way, no idea how its been elsewhere but if you are running a weather dependent business I guess it all can get a bit frustrating. I think it is perhaps a bit early to write summer off. We'll be moaning it is too hot in a few days I bet.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Last week was rubbish. Other than that it's been great.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

Only a few months ago here in eastern Austria I was praying for a bit of precipitation (so I could do a local ski tour). Now that the "summer" is here it's fairly tropical (wet). Did a short walk yesterday and the heavens opened.

Forecast looks better though ......

http://www.bergfex.at/hohewandwiese/wetter/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's the mountains.
Sometimes it rains, sometimes it's 100% blue sky, sometimes you get sunburned and p155ed on with thunder in the same day.

And a week of rain, regardless of where it is makes everyone instantly forget that a heatwave even a week ago even happened (and that's regardless of whether it's alpine of Brighton beach), so half the time someone says worst summer for a while it's the worst summer since 2 weeks ago.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hells Bells, I agree, you are one of the most level posters on here, and could not ever be accused of bitchiness.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would love not to be a couch/desk potato. But it pays the bills so that I can cycle to work and get out for a couple of hours at a stupid time at the weekend before the Mrs. and kids get up and need some attention.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
11-17 August 2010 was unremittingly cold, grey and wet in the Northern French Alps. I'd gone there to train for an event in the Lake District in September, so I guess the weather was an unexpectedly accurate simulation of what was in store.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 14-07-14 14:39; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
here is a time lapse of the awful alpine weather last week

http://youtube.com/v/tQZI1ykDIRo

I think the secret is not to be at 1500 meters up a mountain but at 250 meters next to a lake
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

No bitchiness from me that I can see. My only reply to you was in response to your couch potato post.

agreed - the "couch potato" post was the first unpleasant one of the thread. .

In fairness I think someone refered to the first poster as Weatherspam (now edited).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

agreed - the "couch potato" post was the first unpleasant one of the thread. .

In fairness I think someone refered to the first poster as Weatherspam (now edited).

I didn't spot the Weatherspam thing and it certainly wasn't me who posted it, but I think Weathercam would have to admit he's been calling us all (except you of course) couch potatoes who don't get out there and do proper "stuff" like him - and giving us lots of reminders of what "stuff" he's doing - for some time now, irrespective of whether anyone has or hasn't posted anything that he thinks is "bitchy".
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
miranda wrote:

I think Weathercam would have to admit he's been calling us all (except you of course) couch potatoes.

and yet, and yet, I'm currently glued to the couch eating biscuits and watching sport on the TV; anyone else on line doing the same?

ere ere a bit more time lapse spam from last Thursday

http://youtube.com/v/Ylc_wYckdZM

a bit gloomier.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think that I would sometimes like the opportunity to be a couch potato - even though I stopped (paid) working about 7 years ago when I had had enough of it the days seem to fly by and by bum doesn't often hit a seat till after 9 p.m. My OH says that our chairs here are wired with 'Bum Alarms' because apparently if he ever gets to sit down I appear and say 'oh, could you just... mend, put up, take down, paint, or whatever'

We don't do 'Stuff' but we certainly get out and about and now back here again its mostly boat/beach orientated. OH was delighted to see a member of our club and fleet sailing, nay racing, at the weekend, 6 months after a stroke - he is just 93 and making a good recovery. An inspiration to all of us.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pamski wrote:
My OH says that our chairs here are wired with 'Bum Alarms' because apparently if he ever gets to sit down I appear and say 'oh, could you just... mend, put up, take down, paint, or whatever'

leave him to have a rest !
snow conditions
davidof wrote:

and yet, and yet, I'm currently glued to the couch eating biscuits and watching sport on the TV; anyone else on line doing the same?

Yes, been a great stage Cool

And I only get frustrated with a few on here (tends to be the same peeps) who throw the bitchy comments first, then I will react, and only after the first volley has been fired.

Amusing in that the original protagonist felt the need to then edit the post that caused my reaction.

So apologies.....

Anyway back to the stage, last climb and getting really interesting, and it's dry for a change rolling eyes
snow conditions
Weathercam, you only make me jealous with all your cycling exploits Smile Avoiding TdF results until couch potato time this evening
ski holidays
Weathercam, I didn't and I still think of you as a boastful Weatherspam!
snow report
It's time for these again .....

http://youtube.com/v/U8Kum8OUTuk

http://youtube.com/v/8dPzFUiY-tg
ski holidays
He's probably just willy waving.

FWIW, some mates of mine were riding with stevomcd in St Foy the other week (mini plug - they had a great time and from first-hand experience it's worth going if you're a fit mountain biker) and it was pretty standard weatherise (other than a day of rain). Last week they were in Morzine and it was pretty horrendous. Yesterday my brother was in bright sun at the top of the Brazilian trail just above Zinal/Grimentz and he wasn't complaining. Sadly, I was too busy bouncing off rocks on Exmoor to get involved but what I do know is that riding conditions are currently spot on in the UK...even if your first choice is road riding wink
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
Weather's been ok around Grenoble, a heatwave at the start of June, last week has seen a few cold, rainy days. The summer 3 years ago (I think) was terrible, didn't get to our local open air pool once.

This is our fourth summer In the Dordogne. 3 years ago was hellish. Torrential rain and cold. 2 years ago was better but not brilliant. Last year was superb but verged on too hot with temps in the mid 30s. This year is a cross between year 1 and 2. Tonight is the first night in over a week that I haven't had to wrap up at night.

Alas this will be our last year here. The weather is too unpredictable so next year will see us go elsewhere. My wife likes heat and sun and as much as we like this area, the lack of reliably good weather is a major detractor. It has definitely been made worse by the good weather back home.
ski holidays
It is a beautiful morning in Geneva. Not a cloud in the sky. 25C forecast which is perfect IMV and forecast to be summer as usual for as far as they can forecast.

Likewise Chamonix, although with the return of the normal afternoon thunderyness come the weekend once everythings warmed up again.

Cool
snow conditions
Gaza, where are you heading next?
ski holidays
I have fond memories of my bar-b-q's back in England.

snow report
Meanwhile, over in Russia .....

http://youtube.com/v/LYR7ZcsogVs
snow conditions
At 07:30 not a cloud in the sky here (but temp 8.5), up early and drove van round into another valley and cycled back (will hike over there today), just as well I wore nigh on winter garb as temps very low in Nevache valley where the sun had not come up yet.

Back here in Serre, Villeneuve, was walking back through the weekly market as a Brocante was on and I was stopped by a family friend who runs a market stall in the summer in the various villages, she's a ESF snow board instructor in Puy St Vincent, anyway usual small talk and within three or four minutes she started on about how bad a summer it's been and how cold and wet it is where she lives in Pelvoux.

Only reporting what I heard rolling eyes

By the way, it's Saint Swithins day today Smile

And a good day for a big hike as it's rest day on the TDF
latest report
Hells Bells wrote:
Gaza, where are you heading next?

On this trip our next stop is near Paris (promised our 6 year old a trip to Disneyland Paris) but next year it is likely to be the Italian lakes or Tuscanny.

Today is the first day since leaving the UK on 5th July that we have had clear blue skies. Temp forecast to be in the high 20s so I've already got my big, fat, lazy back bottom plonked on a sun lounger beside the pool. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:

Back here in Serre, Villeneuve, was walking back through the weekly market as a Brocante was on and I was stopped by a family friend who runs a market stall in the summer in the various villages, she's a ESF snow board instructor in Puy St Vincent, anyway usual small talk and within three or four minutes she started on about how bad a summer it's been and how cold and wet it is where she lives in Pelvoux.

Blimey, they sound like a right bunch of whiners round your way wink

At least the sun in Serre decided it didn't have to wait for Hells Bells and could reappear in advance of her arrival in August (I hope you have a lovely sunny holiday too when you get there Hells Bells, though you'll no doubt have a fab time whatever the weather).

Enjoy your hike Weathercam.

Gaza I hate to say it, but, from experience, I can say that gorgeous summer weather in Tuscany is NOT guaranteed either!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nor I guess in the Italian lakes, after all the water has to come from somewhere.
latest report
Many lovely places have "unreliable" weather and some of the loveliest (e.g. Scotland) are particularly unreliable. When we lived in Barbados we had some grotty, cloudy, wet and humid weather. When any of us who lived there had visitors from the UK we always felt guilty if the weather wasn't good. And if you think the summer weather in the Alps is unreliable don't even think of going there in the winter!

People have v short memories about weather. We've had wonderful weather here on the south coast of England for weeks and weeks. But when the inevitably gloomy and rainy days arrive it won't be long before some people start moaning.

From quite a lot of experience over the last 12 years I'd say there is more sunshine, on average, on a mountain at 1500m in the Alps than in much of the UK. But when it gets bad, it can get really bad. Good job it rains a fair bit - those beautiful flowers and picturesque cows wouldn't last long otherwise.
ski holidays
My parents retired to spain believing they would go to the beach everyday and life would be one long holiday. Truth is they only go to the beach when people visit and often the sun/heat gets too much for the older expats so they return back to the UK.
snow conditions
DB, that doesn't surprise me. I had a share in a very little boat in the Cote d'Azur for some years and we never, ever, went there in high summer when it's far too hot and hideously crowded or in the depths of winter when it's often shocking. Our place in the Alps is enjoyable for a much greater proportion of the year than the Cote d'Azur.
latest report
DB,
That reminded me of this. The Aussie 12th man was a bit of a saint.

http://youtube.com/v/epVCCL7avbg
ski holidays
DB wrote:
My parents retired to spain believing they would go to the beach everyday and life would be one long holiday.

I grew up in Bournemouth, we lived near the sea. I went to the beach with my friends most days from April to end of September after school, life was one long holiday for us. Ok it's not Spain but summers lasted forever back then and it never rained!
snow report
davidof, ah, but you weren't a retired person, were you? Those were the days when you marvelled that some people were so old and boring and pathetic that they would drive to the seaside and sit in the car with a flask of tea and a ham sandwich, watching the wind and waves. I actually found myself doing just that a couple of years ago, in Largs. Embarassed It was blowing a hoolie and the rain was lashing down. When the rain moderated a bit we dashed into Nardini's for an ice-cream.
snow report
davidof wrote:
DB wrote:
My parents retired to spain believing they would go to the beach everyday and life would be one long holiday.

I grew up in Bournemouth, we lived near the sea. I went to the beach with my friends most days from April to end of September after school, life was one long holiday for us. Ok it's not Spain but summers lasted forever back then and it never rained!

Part of my growing up was done next to one or another of Sydney's northern beaches. Those summers really did last forever!
snow conditions
Damn hot, damn flies, sweaty feet (resulting in a blister), can we have the cold wet weather back please Laughing

Car temp was reading 33 coming out of Briancon, though now have around 5/8 cloud that has bubbled up through the day, could be a chance of shower later, and patio temp (shade) 26.5, that's more like it!

And pam w, flowers seemed to be making up for the recent bad weather and there were some stunning carpets.

Anyone know what that curry type perfume aroma is from ?
snow report
http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/heltalicum.htm This, maybe? Weathercam,
snow conditions
genepi,
Mrs M's got a huge one of those outside our front door. Smells lovely at the moment.
latest report
genepi, thanks, but no that's not it, we have those curry plants back in the UK, OH describes it more like a "spicy lemon", in the past I've actually been on all fours trying to work out where it's coming from, and today, don't whether it was the sunshine but at times the aroma was quite intense.

I suppose that these guys were happy the weather is at last good for soaring - that's the Dome du Monetier glacier in the background.

And one for pam w, but not the best shot of the flower carpets we came across
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy