Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Worst Summer weather for a while in the French Alps ?

Poster: A snowHead
Nice blue skies over Mont Pourri today snowHead . Warm enough to sit & enjoy a glass ( or 2) on the balcony in t-shirts till about 8pm - at 1650m. But it's the first day in a week that it's been warm enough to do that.

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Our son, DIL and a couple of their friends have been staying in Les Gets this week - had really good weather since they arrived Sunday (1C at 4.30 a.m) and they have been able to enjoy canyoning, via ferrata, lots of walking. Cold at night though and our wood burner going this evening apparently. So relieved for them as it seems to have rained since early July.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
At least you are able to sit outside. Yesterday was definitely one of the best days since June but there is still a NE wind which is keeping temperatures down. This non-stop N/NE wind has been a characteristic of this year since spring.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We were in the Austrian alps for the last 2 weeks, first week was OKish but second in Zell am Zee was generally cold and wet. we were told that it had been the worst summer for years.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Worst summer weather for 35 years in nortern italy.
Sunny yesterday but wet again today Sad
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
After our first full week in Venosc, the weather has been pretty good. First night was cold but since then it has been ok, sleeping under the open sleeping bags rather than fully zipped in!
Everyday has included a fair amount of sunshine and usually a bit of cloud, rain so far has been overnight apart from a squally shower the other evening.
We can sit out till about 7.30 when the sun disappears behind the mountains, then it's time for a fleece.
Not sure what the temps have been, campsite forecast states temps of between 18 and 20C, but it's much warmer than that in the sun I can assure you. Most importantly, damp washed clothes if hung about by around 4 pm are dry before bed time!
Not been here before so maybe the weather us not as good as normal, but it is certainly good enough for me so far. Guess I'll have to come back for 2 weeks next year to compare weather (nothing to do with the awesome biking, walking, skiing, paragliding at all)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

damp washed clothes if hung about by around 4 pm are dry before bed time!

that's in part because of low humidity - even in winter clothes tend to dry much more quickly than in the UK, because humidity is so much lower.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Somewhere there's a photo of me in a gite near Annecy drying my socks with a hairdryer. (It never stopped raining for a solid week.)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Having arrived on Saturday it has been dry and sunny. Not amazingly hot though, and a chilly wind in late afternoon means heading off the terrace as soon as the sun disappears behind the mountaiins.. I had the apartment laundry to do and it is now all washed dried and ironed. We stopped off in Burgundy overnight where they are expecting the harvest to begin on the 10th of September. They have not had a brilliant summer either, but the harvest is early.apparently.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Swiss Tourism this morning describing the summer as "abysmal".

But the roses in our garden have just flowered, for the second time. Haven't seen that before.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just in from a mate who's out in LG on a climbing trip

Yesterday.....
Traverse of Pelvoux not on as crevasse opened up too much making it impassible. Mt Viso also looking unlikely as unstable weather due from pm Tues so more climbing around La G which does us fine as don't want to waste a day walking and then potentially getting stuck in a hut.

And
Today ridge climb back from Rateau to la Pointe Trifide ( where glacier drag is anchored). Good forecast today completely wrong as we had snow squalls and strong winds so after the appropriately named Razor's Edge we aborted and dropped down to the glacier on a 50m rappel.

And as many in the UK know, today has been a classic in terms of Bank Holiday weather Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

today has been a classic in terms of Bank Holiday weather

it certainly has! But in my neck of the woods it's the first consistently nasty day for months; we've had a glorious summer. I plan to be in the Alps for a lovely sunny and quiet week or so in mid October. wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It;s apparently been a reasonable day up North, and after a cool start in Serre Che we;ve had the dogs along to Le Casset and walked back in warm sunshine. Sitting on the terrace with a glass of fizz and some soggy mutts, but the breeze is getting up and the sun will diasppear quite soon.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Got back from a 3 night trip to Gressoney yesterday. Lovely weather on Thurs, Fri and Sunday, though mostly quite cool.

On Saturday there was more cloud, but still quite clear until we got over onto the Alagna side. We were cycling the route recommended in the tourist leaflet, which told us we had to cycle to the mid station of the cable car at Cimalegna.and then get the lift down as otherwise we would be cycling over a 500m cliff. The signage was shocking, the fog came in, and we picked our way down what we could see of the blue pistes (slightly more compacted ground, and the occasional bit of blue plastic). At one point we went completely wrong and were pushing bikes over piles of bare rocks. What really saved us was the sound of the cable car whirring in the cloud above us just at the point when we felt pretty flummoxed. We couldn't even see it or the cables the fog was so dense. After about an hour of what felt like hopeful blundering about, we finally saw the mid station emerge from the mist with "closed" signs in the window, the door wedged shut with a ladder and an emergency number in the window. As it was just before 1pm, we hoped that this was just the lunchtime closing, though it didn't much look like it. We sat there for over an hour, getting quite cold in the mist, knowing that we had no other way down. Nobody else seemed to be doing the same was us, so we were completely alone. Thankfully the lift did restart just after 2pm, and we waved madly as it passed us on the way up. 15 mins later and it returned and picked us up. Quite a scary experience all told. Lots of other hikers and serious mountain types looked like they were throwing in the towel too.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We are in the Dordogne at the moment. Been here 10 days now, barely got above 20c, raining as I type. Should really be a consistent 30-35c here at this time of year. Were here 2 years ago and it was 40c+, a bit too hot. Still croissants and baguette, who cares about the weather.
ski holidays
Wet day today, still under the duvet buying the season passes Very Happy
snow report
we were in Vosges for last few weeks - temp was late teens, someway below normal mid-20s - rained a lot as well. Campsite owner said was one of the worst summers they've had for years
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:

You have the ticket seller under your duvet? wink
snow report
We have a stream that runs through our garden here. Usually it's dry as a bone from June through to September. This year it began to peter out in June but since the rains came I've been seriously thinking about installing a miniature hydro-electric unit! Raining buckets again today. Sad
snow report
DB wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:

You have the ticket seller under your duvet? wink

No, only the ticket purchaser Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Unexpectedly warm and beautiful day, which we've spent at the apartment, as we were waiting for a delivery. If it dawns bright and sunny tomorrow, some walking I think.
snow report
Some cold nights camping last week in Bourg St Maurice, but although it rained and was cooler than usual, we had enough good sunny days that it wasn't a problem. Most days 20-23 instead of usually 25-30
snow conditions
Another beautiful sunny day, alrhough the afternoon breeze is picking up now.
latest report
Lovely to arrive in a sunny Les Gets at 12.30. So a quick unload of the car into the garage, found my walking boots, sticks, lift pass, and have been out walking this afternoon. Have to take advantage of it while it is here I think.
ski holidays
Pamski, if the weather holds out you'll get no painting done. wink Any raspberries about?
ski holidays
pam w, I haven't seen any raspberries but did find a whole lot of those tiny strawberries this afternoon which were delicious. I must remember to take a small plastic box with me tomorrow.
ski holidays
Pamski, the strawberries are late because of such a cold spell, I suppose. Maybe this sunny weather now will bring on the raspberries.
latest report
Actually I was thinking that things were early this year - possibly after early heat waves followed by a cold spell. We were picking tubs of raspberries and strawberries in July and this month at 1200m. In fact one the locals was pointing out to me today (which has been glorious) that some of the trees are showing the early signs of changing colour already - that's very early. In comparison to July, August here has not been so bad but that's pure luck in that there has been heavy rain at times but it's mainly come in the evenings and overnight - so the hikes and bike trails are very muddy in places and the streams and waterfalls are full-flowing but actually it's not been too bad at all in the daytimes - put it this way, we have a few families in who've been here for a couple of weeks, and other than Tuesday (which was a washout) they've been out and about all day in relatively cool but largely sunny weather, so their perception is that the weather's been nice. And another family was here for 3 weeks from late July with very little kids (so really noticed if it was raining all day or not) and I think had 3 or 4 rainy daytimes - the rest of the time the rain was again in the evenings or overnight (with some mega thunderstorms).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Raspberries in our garden in Morzine last week.
ski holidays
A beach party here in Geneva scheduled for tomorrow night (having already been rescheduled multiple times because of rain) has once again been postponed until next weekend, as the rain is meant to be back tomorrow. And here was me hoping for an Indian summer *sigh*

On the plus side it's been glorious today, and I managed to top up my tan a little. Not sure how much longer it'll last!
snow report
Quote:

And here was me hoping for an Indian summer *sigh*

there's going to be an Indian summer (coinciding with my autumn visit to the Alps wink. But it's still August. Nice weather now would just be a nice summery August.
latest report
pam w, good point - fingers crossed for a great September and October, of course followed by lots of snow from early November Toofy Grin
snow report
The worry must be that after such a wet summer in the Alps autumn and winter could now be dry !
snow report
Peter S, why?
snow conditions
Here in East Austria last winter was dry and the summer has been very wet. The result was much less skiing (esp ski touring) and Mountain biking for me - I hope it doesn't repeat.

Snow forecast for St Anton next week Shocked
http://www.bergfex.com/stanton-stchristoph/wetter/berg/
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

today has been a classic in terms of Bank Holiday weather

it certainly has! But in my neck of the woods it's the first consistently nasty day for months; we've had a glorious summer. I plan to be in the Alps for a lovely sunny and quiet week or so in mid October. wink

Oh I really hope so.. Summer has been like the interseason here.. Got all of my fingers crossed, I don't think we can cope with any more rain Sad
ski holidays
Peter S wrote:
The worry must be that after such a wet summer in the Alps autumn and winter could now be dry !

Don't care, just want some sun!!!!
snow report
Quote:

why

Because this pattern will eventually change to a drier one and Sods law says that will be during the skiing season Sad

Meanwhile summer here has been very dry, at least in the north of the UK. Weve been wasting a blocked Atlantic and northern anticyclone during the summer. Hoping for some easterly activity this year !
snow report
fixx wrote:
A beach party here in Geneva scheduled for tomorrow night

all Geneva needs now is a beach!
snow conditions
Another lovely day today, although there's been some light rain this afternoon and there are some threatening looking clouds over the peaks.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy