Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Worst Summer weather for a while in the French Alps ?

Poster: A snowHead
pam w, and certainly sounds lovely on the South Coast, though kite and windsurfers are moaning about the lack of any decent strong wind.

dobby, so ironic to come back and read your thread, on the descent down from the Col de Granon just now I came so close to being taken out by a car coming up round a bend, not only was he right over on my side, it took him ages to react and I really thought that was it.

And yesterday a car came so close to me, it was only after I had stopped gesticulating at it that I recognised it was some Brits from Serre going back to the UK rolling eyes

But you are right FR drivers are better compared to GB but remember out here now we have Belgians in black 4x4's Shocked

Anyway weather now not too bad, actually been sitting outside listening to the tour, but now time to watch it.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Luvverly alpine weather this afternoon

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Weathercam, forgot about Belgians........
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof, marvelous would explain your two different rides today wink

You still have three days left to do nigh on 6,000 Little Angel

And.............

Just back from a local bar where this time of year the talk is cycling etc and as ever the "weather" subject came up.

So this is the locals view, and sort of makes sense, as they were all saying how bad it's been, and in answer to my question, "will it get better moving forward ?"

"Because the ground is so wet and humidity so high, and temps are not slowly rising, it will only take one day of hot sunshine for it to all kick off again, so a sort of vicious cycle"

So where they would normally expect a cycle of four of five days of sunshine and then a few days of afternoon thunderstorms, it's now almost the reverse Puzzled

As ever with weather conditions, they have an amusing way of proving people wrong Cool
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

As ever with weather conditions, they have an amusing way of proving people wrong

who's been proved wrong? The local pundits might well be - they often are. wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, that's sort of what I mean (it's not a dig at anyone on here), there is never one definitive answer, that's why the "weather" is so interesting.

See back in Costa Del Geriatrica* it's been rather warm today.

Current Weather at : 18:45
Date 24/07/14
Wind ENE at 9.0 mph
10 min average wind speed: 8.0
Highest Gust: 21.0 at 2:29
Wind Chill: 28.7 °C
Pressure: 1014.0 Steady
Temperature: 28.8 °C
Sunrise: 5:17
Sunset: 20:56

*Sunny Worthing, West Sussex
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just arrived for 2 weeks. We've been planning to walk the western half of the GR54 - Vallouise to Bourg d'Oisans - taking about 5 or 6 days but not too keen on a succession of afternoon thunderstorms or worse. Sad

Back to the drawing board now. Tomorrow morning looks OK but then....??

We had a similar succession of more or less daily thunderstorms last year. Another changing alpine weather pattern??

Still, the scenery is stunning and the mood is always good here. Beats being in the office Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kevin Byrne, best of luck K, weather has to get better, but again today (Sunday) after a superb clear sky early morning (first time for a while) clouds were looking ominous by early evening.

I drove over to Jausiers (near Barcelonette) leaving Serre at 07:15 and cycled the highest road in Europe: Cime de la Bonette 2802m. The Col de la Bonette is actually at 2,715 but there's a 2km loop that takes you above the Col to just below the cime (summit 2860m) at 2,802m.

First hour or so was not too bad but traffic started to build, hardly surprising with the first sunny and hot Sunday for a long while and being that close to Italy and the conurbations of the South the road soon became very busy with Cafe Racers really enjoying the roads, only trouble was that as much as there bike handling skills were admirable, they came a little too close for comfort. That's the reason I'm heading home, no longer enjoyable Sad

That said, hiking and MTB you'll soon leave the hordes.

When you go up from Vallousise to Chambran and then on to Col de Frejus (below Cucumelle) that's where we were going off the back and skinning back up, you'll see the logic once you're up there!

Enjoy!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Best to avoid the Grands Cols in July and August, too hot and too busy and you have summer thunderstorms. For me the best time is either mid-May to early June or even better, September to mid October when there is absolutely no one on the roads. No cars, no motorbikes, no-one. Otherwise plenty of other areas with little traffic to cycle in the Alps.

Cormet de Roselund in mid October

http://youtube.com/v/vl1z8189ULg

Galibier Oct 25

le Semnoz in October

Little St Bernard in early June

Madeleine in late September

and October (should have worn a winter jacket)

http://youtube.com/v/hj-V0biMwbI

Ventoux early October
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof, but has to be said it is quite a craic cycling up with loads of other cyclists.

But agree June and first two weeks of July way better than now - and that Cols Reserve week (when they close a different Col) every day end of June, you can't get better than that.

Was with some serious MTB dudes yesterday and might well do a bit of that next summer. One guy who runs Bike Rehab in Sheffield really rates the trails and tracks here compared to various other places he's been to, the other guy is a very well known ski instructor here who also turns to MTB in the summer, and then the subject turned to MTB / VTT guiding / running a holiday Co etc and that's a whole different thread Puzzled

Still not too sure about coming back out in the autumn as I hear all good stuff even if no where is open here, but I think some hot sunny windy beaches might be calling Cool

And back on topic looking mitigé again today (might stay dry though could be wet later) Puzzled

And seriously wet back on Costa del Geriatrica this morning from the looks of things Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof, great pics - would love to visit to ride some of those climbs off-season, but not likely while have to take holidays during school times.

France does seem to be having a pants summer at moment, judging by tour coverage and following the weather forecast for Vosges region (as we'll be there soon). Hoping that I can take the lovely summer we've had here with us!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Brighton this morning .....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2708224/Used-roads-rivers-hail-Storm-described-zombie-apocalypse-brings-chaos-morning-rush-hour-British-cities-thunderstorms-flash-flooding.html
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

And seriously wet back on Costa del Geriatrica this morning from the looks of things

not yet where we are along at Chichester, but much fresher today and I have heard rumblings of thunder. Really pleased that we were in Les Gets latter part of June early July, and then came back to glorious weather here. Could have done with more wind for the sailors at Cowes last week - and definitely hoping for more next week otherwise it will be a house full of grumpy men. But back on topic - I have to agree now
Weathercam, that its been pretty poor so far this year - and I have people renting our place at present and for the next couple of weeks - bad weather often can led to dissatisfied guests, but I hope not.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
People I know on FaceBook have been posting photos like these this morning - this is the seafront front East Worthing - OH was meant to be going up to London but no trains.

And dry so far here, but very little in the way of sunshine now well over 7 octa

latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks like we might have made the right choice to stay at home until late August, we've had a beautiful summer up here so far, and have avoided a lot of the torrential rain.
snow report
Shocked Shocked Shocked Bloody hell, my stepmother lives just around the corner from that building! She's not exactly nimble on her pins these days (never was as far as I remember) but she is a good swimmer.
snow report
It's weird UK weather today - I've had contact with people stuck for hours on M40 south of Oxford due to poor weather causing floods etc, but from Banbury northwards it's been glorious
ski holidays
Oh well was hoping to get out for one final bike ride this afternoon but the weather gods had other ideas Crying or Very sad

Been getting ready for the "off" in terms of vets, packing van up (two bikes & two set of skis to bring back plus strimmer and gardening tool and loads more stuff) and then meeting with neighbours in two blocks to sign the "pouvoir" as I will not be here for the annual assembly, complicated by the fact I have a garage in a different building (next door) to where we live, plus actually having to do some work to meet a deadline (how anti social is that) !

So last shot of the summer and guess what.............

Oh well lets hope that the next shot I post in December will be all white Cool

snow conditions
Weathercam, if the clouds stay like that until December you'll be OK for snow.
snow report
Quote:

seriously wet back on Costa del Geriatrica this morning from the looks of things

was overcast and fresher earlier this morning in Emsworth, and grey over eastwards, I heard about the bad weather in Brighton/Worthing when I was in the village, but it's been nice here a bit further west, with plenty of sunny spells. Light winds. Am sailing to Cherbourg on Friday - and back overnight Sunday. I hope we don't have to motor all the way. Today is a NE wind which would be splendid, but it's light and flukey and generally the winds look like staying unreliable and light, except for some gusts round the storms.
ski holidays
Very very warm and sunny up here this afternoon.
ski holidays
Sunny here this morning, managed to get a couple of hours climbing before the downpour started again
latest report
Nice walk from Briancon to the Croix de Toulouse and on over the ridge via the Grand Peyrolle to near the Col du Granon from where we descended through the forests to Saint Chaffrey . Thankfully we missed the rain. 6.5 hours.... feet were feeling it. Feel we stole something from the day...

Safe trip home Gavin. See you in Winter I guess. Pity we didn't overlap a little.
ski holidays
Kevin Byrne, hopefully no blister problems - my feet were fine for the first four or so weeks and then as I upped the hours and weather was a tad warmer (honest) started to get them on both feet back of heels, think it all depends on the angle of attack.

That route you did is meant to be really good mountain biking according to a mate who lives in St Chaffrey and that is his "back yard" as it were.

Have a great time and see you in the winter for some touring.

PS have you come across an Irish lady working in Sport M in Briancon, bumped into her up near Porte de Cristol a few weeks back
ski holidays
Boris wrote:

France does seem to be having a pants summer at moment,

yes, just hoping it is the weathercam jinx and things will get better now. It was very nice in Paris today.
ski holidays
davidof, looking at the 3 day forecast for Serre Chevalier this morning, you may be right http://www.serre-chevalier.com/ete/pratique/live/meteo/
latest report
As you can see the jinx continues apace, this was earlier today on my drive over to Tignes via Mont Cenis and Iseran.

Tignes dudes gong on about how bad its been this summer, needless to say lunch was not on the terrace !
ski holidays
Well, there you go. Weathercam really picked the worst weeks to be out, so far, as early June was really rather warm and sunny.

However, the month of July, in Switzerland at least, has been the wettest on record, since records began, http://www.tdg.ch/suisse/Ce-mois-de-juillet-bat-tous-les-records-de-pluie/story/23084712

And it feels like it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Austria is having pretty much the same tropical summer.
snow conditions
.........Whilst Yorkshire basks in sunny week after sunny week. Cool

Its getting very dry here now with no significant rain for months.
latest report
Hells Bells, all this nice weather in the North East at the moment - how long can it continue?!
snow report
Not looking quite so good right now, as it has clouded over, but is still very warm.
snow report
Midlands is warm and pleasant still - forecast to break at weekend
snow report
The jinx will be arriving in UK soon so watch out for rain, wind (as predicted a few days back) is already blowing on the South Coast

Pretty well torrential on and off rain all the way from Tignes to Dijon, now 23degrees at Calais! 8hr 40 driving time from Tignes (got down to Bourg in under 30 mins) but can't get on earlier tunnel Sad
snow conditions
Weathercam, could you hurry up and leave the country please? I'm in Morzine and the wether is far from appropriate from the time of year. If it rains much more then I'll have to visit the Museum of Mechanical Music in Les Gets...
ski holidays
FlyingStantoni, my colleague went out on a limb and is nearing the end of 2 weeks in Morzine. He dragged the family there over their usual stint in the Caribbean or California, as he thought they should all do some biking, saying that it would be stunningly scenic etc etc.

Needless to say he's been on e-mail claiming a deeply unhappy wife and sulking teenage daughters...

The irony of course is I spent the whole season there last winter - and March and April were unbelievably hot and sunny. We complained at the time, of course...
snow conditions
Sorry I should point out that just because I board the tunnel in half an hour that does not mean the end of the wet weather as my daughter remains in Tignes where too according to records been the wettest July for ten years, please note I was only told this and don't know whether it's accurate or not !
ski holidays
Given that parts of Switzerland are reading 390% of usual rainfall and this is the wettest since records began in 1864, it's hardly typical of an Alpine summer Sad

Bored now.
snow report
Weathercam, is your daughter open to being flown home at my expense??? Wink
snow report
Chatting to a local in Morzine today, he said it was the worst summer on record since 1930. Not sure how true that is... but it's certainly a bit soggy up here in Avoriaz atm.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy