Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will skis change my life?

Poster: A snowHead
Ok perhaps not change my life.

I am a very proficient skier yet every time I ski I am paying for a rental ski for which I get little choice. I have had some varying skis over the last few years but mostly they have been cheaper priced skis or provided skis with no thought about the way I ski.

This year I have considered purchasing as I have been reading the marketing hype and I think I may benefit from buying a ski that suits me. Have I been sucked in?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why not hire skis that suit you. Most hire shops have a large range of skis. Ask there advice and be prepared to pay for a better ski.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
no, its great to have your own skis because when you have the same ski for a while, you will have a constant reference. or maybe its like having your own violin, you will discover its quirk and best qualities.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They'll change your bank balance for sure.

If you're a very proficient skier you can probably answer the question yourself - do you get better performance out of some pairs rather than others?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The thing is its a lottery, when renting I have had good, bad and unskiable. It depends as much on how the skis are set up/ maintained as on the make/ model of ski.

So if you are reaching a certain level of competence - test a few, buy some you like and look after them. Chances are you will ski better and enjoy your skiing more.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sledger wrote:
..So if you are reaching a certain level of competence - test a few, buy some you like and look after them. Chances are you will ski better and enjoy your skiing more.

+10
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, it will change your life -but i does not matter if your new own skies are the model from 2 years ago.
Will not change the bank balance much that way wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cookiandmilk, Im hoping you have your own boots - if not boots first!! After that, choose a style / level of ski you think best suites you (and get advice off the guys/girls here - they are all helpful) and demo demo demo!! Try not to buy from your usual snow and rock etc, we will find you a cheap deal somewhere!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Definitely buy your own, but do try and demo first. Pluses outweigh the negatives:

Yes-there will be a cost upfront, but then you wont be paying the 100 euros or whatever each week you ski for hire.
yes-you will usually have to pay ski carriage so that cancels out some of the hire cost, but it's still cheaper;
If you ski more than a week a year then you save twice as much.
Sell em here or on Ebay, when you fancy a new pair, and you can get as much as half the purchase cost back... (or, more often in my case, keep them and get a stable full of skis for varying conditions)
Or...buy some on Ebay or here in the first place and grab yourself a bargain! Madeye-Smiley
Having my own skis definitely helped me, and it's not long before you do know the difference between skis you like and skis you hate.
There are plenty of online reviews etc. I like skicanadamag's annual review and they have an online ski finder programme which can point you in the right direction.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
And then you can enter the world of ski servicing.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Do you own your own boots? If so have they been fitted and aligned? If yes then start thinking harder about skis...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This has to be a sock.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not sure - the other 2 posts aren't suggestive, but who knows.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It is essential to try skis before buying. The fact that someone else swears a ski is awesome does not mean that it will suit you.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I own longish ones that are a wee bit narrower in the middle and turn up at the ends just a little. Very proficient skiers should probably get shortish ones that are very narrow in the middle and turn up at the ends a lot.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 10-07-14 12:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Cookiandmilk wrote:
This year I have considered purchasing as I have been reading the marketing hype and I think I may benefit from buying a ski that suits me. Have I been sucked in?

Yes this season you will buy a pair of skis and for about 3 days you be content and at one with the world around you. Then you will start thinking about how maybe other skis will suit you better. Your only hope to to see if a local priest can conduct some sort of exorcism to get this out of your system.

If that doesn't work then I'm sure these people will help.

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/

http://www.sport-conrad.com/

Good luck.
snow report
I'd recommend starting off by hiring premium skis and being quite fussy, though polite in the hire shop - most won't mind you going back after a couple of days asking to try a different pair and saying what you did/didn't like about the first pair so they hopefully pick out a better-matched set. It's amazing what a difference a newish pair of skis with good edges can make (and also how crap the edges can be on said same premium skis).

Anyway at some point you'll strap a pair of planks on your feet that you fall in love with - they work for you, so you trust them, so you commit to them so they work even better still. Make a note of what they are and buy a pair when you get home!
snow conditions
DB, exorcism pfft, if the wife cant stop me through her nagging and her lack of understanding to why we need more than one set of skis, what chance does a priest have with some water and a book Happy
snow report
No . . . But a snowboard will. Twisted Evil
latest report
Cookiandmilk, i am on my second pair of skis. The first I had for five years and the second pair I have had for nearly six. A couple of years ago I did not take my skis with me and hired instead to give something new a go. The hire shop was decent enough but the edges were just not as sharp as my skis and I never felt as comfortable on the hire set. It could of course been the type of ski I hired, but I am still using my older pair and they have easily paid for themselves even when taking carriage and service costs into account
snow conditions
Peterkct wrote:
It is essential to try skis before buying. The fact that someone else swears a ski is awesome does not mean that it will suit you.

I'd say if you have absolutely no idea about what type of ski you like then yes, try before you buy. If however you have skied a few different type, brands, sizes and shapes of skis then ou can make a pretty good guess on how you'll feel about a ski. There are an awful lot lot of good skis out there, I'm sure if I tried 20 skis back to back I would have one or two that stood out but if someone gave me me any of those I would probably happily ski it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy