Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arinsal piste access/hotels near to.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

Considering a week in Arinsal in early March 2015. From reading other posts I know that access to the main ski area is via a gondola from the centre of town. I'm getting on a bit (no, I'm not going to tell you!) and the thought of a long walk from the hotel to the gondola does not appeal. Does anyone know a decent hotel close to the gondola that will save my ancient legs? Preferably one that is bookable via a TO (most of whom just list the hotels without saying where they are in relation to the gondola).

I also understand that it is better to hire a ski locker in the top gondola station rather than use the hotel facilities (I like this...I hate walking anywhere in ski boots), anyone have any idea of the cost and availability? The locker will need to accommodate four sets of gear.

Again from reading posts I understand that the resort is probably more suited to beginners and early intermediates, this will suit my son and his wife who have just one week at Les Arcs under their belts from last year and it will suit me 'cos my days of wizzing down the mountain are long gone...nice long leisurely blues (and perhaps an occasional mauve'ish colour) are now more my style...does anyone have any recommendations piste wise?

Being a relative newcomer to Snowheads (first post last year) can I say how much I appreciate being able to 'pick brains' about skiing. It is a sport that I started quite late in life and I only wish I had started 20 years sooner. The benefit of having a resource like the Snowheads Forum is incalculable!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
planeman, might be worth checking out the Hotel Montane - it is literally opposite the gondola.....so cross the road, and you are there.

When I stayed there (7/8 years ago) is was via Crystal. Not sure they still have it. It was comfortable, clean, food was good, ski lockers/boot room OK. Nice, but fairly small bar, some rooms have balconies. Good location for much of the town.

Crystal do operate the Hotel Arinsal, which is around 50m from the gondola.

Excellent resort for beginners and, for the slightly more adventurous, take the lift over to Pal for some great cruisey blues and reds through the trees.

The ski lockers at the top of the gondola are probably well worth having a look at. The main "centre" at the ski area station is quite large with a reception area from where I am sure you can enquire/sort out lockers. 4 people sharing a locker will require some coordination, unless they've installed those that are operated via the ski pass.

If you're looking for lessons, whilst a TO may well coordinate, there are plenty of Brit instructors out there should you decide to sort this yourselves. I had a 1:1 lesson when there and the experience was very positive.

Feel free to fire away of you have any other questions.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
[b]Cacciatore...many thanks my friend, the information is just what I needed. I spent the morning browsing for somewhere at reasonable cost (still trying to recover - financially - from Les Arcs last year) and Arinsal seemed like a good bet. However, do you have any experience of Soldeu? I believe that it is a bit higher than Arinsal so might be better snow conditions but is it similar to Arinsal in that I will need an initial gondola ride to reach the main piste areas? If so, any info on hotels that might (again!) be close to the gondola?
I do appreciate your trouble in responding.[/b]
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
planeman, you're welcome - sorry, only ever been to Arinsal, though there are several on here who do know Soldeu.

When I went, the skiing for the first half of the holiday were very restricted owing to really poor snowfall/coverage (it was 18 degrees in the town when we arrived!). However, it did snow and then some. Had a perfect bluebird day over in Pal. Arrived for first lift, no-one else really around and skied empty pistes and rode empty chairs for an hour and a half - pistes that had been bashed the evening before and then had a couple of inches of fresh on top. So, amidst some fairly ropey conditions in that week, I had one of the best mornings ever. Such is skiing, I guess.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cacciatore, many thanks again. At the moment it seems a toss up between Arinsal or Soldeu and yes, you are right, I am sure there must be some Snowheads with knowledge of Soldeu so I will wait patiently! Appreciate your help my friend and if I choose Soldeu you will be the first to get my report!...Cheers! Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
planeman, just a suggestion, but you could edit the title of the post to "Arinsal and Soldeu - comparison help" or something similar - might well generate the responses.

If you do go to Arinsal, I'd recommend looking at getting a day in Arcalis (it is a bit of a bus ride, but fairly easy) - it is much higher and there are some awesome runs there.

Otherwise, look forward to that trip report from Soldeu Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Another thumbs up for Hotel Montane. We stayed there in 2012 with Crystal and it was really nice.
Directly across the road from the Gondola, food was great although you do need to book a time for dinner.
Skiing in Arinsal and linking across to Pal was fine, we went late Feb/early March and it was very very warm resulting in very slushy snow at times.
A day to Arcalis is not to be missed.
We did a day trip to Soldeu which as has been said is a bit higher and found the snow much better, its also a bigger area as well.
I'm sure someone with more experience will come along but from what I saw Soldeu/El Tarter seems quite spread out although there were some runs back to resort rather than gondola up and down like Arinsal.

Overall I enjoyed Arinsal, a pretty village, good skiing for beginners/early intermediates and cheap beer being the pros, long transfer a bit of a pain but once you reach the foothills of the Pyreenes then there are some nice views.

Map here http://www.arinsal.co.uk/arinsal-map.php could be usefule for looking at where hotels are, from memory Hotel Arinsal and Princesa Parc are not that far.

Crystal had a ski locker at the top of the gondola but it was just one big locker for everybody to use. I believe you could hire your own though, but remember if you wanted to go to Arcalis or Soldeu you would need to remember to take your kit down the night before.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cacciatore + roguemazza, thank you guys, I do appreciate your helpful info very much. There is always a certain amount or trepidation when you first visit a new resort which is why Snowheads is so useful. Need now to consult son and his beloved to see what they feel about either resort. Either way if we get snow, sunshine (but not enough to melt everything!) some nice long runs and somewhere to rest our weary heads, I will be well pleased! Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Been a regular visitor to Soldeu as my wife prefers cruise blues and places she know....always been happy with that as we find the hotels near the gondola to be great ( usually stay at the Sport) and we have nearly always had great conditions and weather. We're in our mid-50s.
The Sport and Sport Village have a locker room underneath the hotel....with a short walk to the gondola....and you can ski back to the lifts at the bottom of the gondola station prior to refreshments.
We've not been to Arinsal but our son went with his college a few years ago...and he tells us that he much prefers Soldeu....and the rest of the Grandvalira area.
Not used the ski school for a few years....but when we did we found that the instructors were really good.
Hope this helps...let me know if you want any other info.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ian.b, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Nice first post Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is a ski hire shop (in Arinsal) at the top of the gondola that has its own lockers. They are really friendly and it means that if you rent your equipment from them and have any issues it's really easy to get things sorted / swaped out. The at the end of the day when the last bit of the home run is beginner carnage you just calmly download on the gondola in your normal shoes while your boots keep warm in the back of a heated shop halfway up the mountain.

You can get across to Pal on a cable car from the top of Arinsal so long as the weather is okayish. It's a nicer looking area than Arinsal on the whole and has less British tourists as Crystal et al seem to concentrate on Arinsal
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ian.b (and indeed, welcome to Snowheads!) + Schnee42. Thank you guys for the additional info. From what I have read so far I am beginning to think that Soldeu will be the resort of choice! I would love to go back to the Alps but quite frankly I do think that they are overpricing themselves a bit and I have made a conscious decision not to be sucked in! In any event swmbo and I are happy to be on any mountain with snow and a bit of sunshine so I guess it doesn't matter where it is!
Ian.b..thanks for your info on Sport and Sport Village, these were two of the hotels that I was considering so I appreciate your comments.
Thank you ALL for your help and if you are all planning for the forthcoming season then I hope you all have a really great time! Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Glad to be of help.....just booked the Sport for 18th Jan......nearly winter !
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy