Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski the whole 2015 season in Switzeraland for Free

Poster: A snowHead
Right!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nixmap wrote:
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
dode, a few years back a friend took this offer up, he said that most weekends the owners were present, and they were also there for a week at Christmas, a week at Easter, and there was a random week when a party of males turned up which was quite rowdy, but the alcohol, and girls they brought back each night more than made up for it! My friend said it was the best season of his life.

Well thanks Ricklovesthepowder that has really really helped.
Shocked Laughing

Feedback.... who needs it.

Smile Anyone who might know someone who might be interested! Laughing

I have followed the thread with interest to see what kind of opportunities are out there because one of my sons is planning to take a sabbatical from work in a couple of years to spend a season in the Alps.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
not many takers this year Sad

maybe you lot finally scared everyone off.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
'You lot' is generalizing a bit Laughing

I said I may have been up for it if I was 12 years younger. Nowadays I like to be my own boss (ok so the wife is the one true boss), and certainly not used for non work/volunteer/slave/non slave labour/unpaid help/benefit in kind type situation.

You seem nice enough people to me, and I think some of the stick you have gotten is a bit OTT, however where you went wrong was to hide it in a smoke screen. You said 'This is not a Job' - you would have been better just leaving that bit out because it clearly is.

People here are a friendly lot, but they are far from stupid/gullible and will stand up for what they believe. It is also easy to search here and other sites where you have advertised, and given that you don't seem to retain your volunteers/slaves gets people suspicious.

You also say you have not had many takers this year. Surely if all you are looking for is one for each chalet, a few takers would be enough (unless of course you find them unsuitable or they find you unsuitable)

Perhaps with the economic upturn in recent months, you could now pay for you volunteers?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 25-07-14 23:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PaulC1984, Hardly much of a job really. Just a bit of stuff on the weekends and nixmap has been open about the job spec.
S/he seems nice and polite to me so, legality aside, hardly a chore in exchange for a low cost season's skiing. I'm sure s/he will have takers soon enough.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If I was 20 years younger I would have gone for it like a shot......years ago this would have been snapped up, but now everyone is all so scathing and sceptical.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Swissie wrote:
.. now everyone is all so scathing and sceptical.

Bit unfair. If anything, most snowHeads have gone the other way.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I declare a bias after reading nixmap's offer of a free half term stay to a snowHead family (not me). Respect is due.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ALQ wrote:
PaulC1984, Hardly much of a job really. Just a bit of stuff on the weekends and nixmap has been open about the job spec.
S/he seems nice and polite to me so, legality aside, hardly a chore in exchange for a low cost season's skiing. I'm sure s/he will have takers soon enough.

To be fair, I did say they seemed nice people! Just pointing out the reason why I think they get so much stick
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, you did - I was agreeing with you. I think the stick is about the legal issues, not the smokescreen (I think he posted some pics last year).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ALQ, Ah ok, fair enough Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nixmap wrote:

maybe you lot finally scared everyone off.

nixmap, very sorry to hear that, I think it's a great offer. It's something I looked very hard at myself, but I'm just not in a suitable position this year.

I hope you get someone great sorted out. If I come across suitable people in Geneva I might let you know, but most of my friends aren't looking as far ahead as next winter yet, they're not very organised NehNeh
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nixmap, why not post on the Chalets Direct Job Forum and the workaway.info "volunteer" forum? I doubt it's this thread that's put anyone off - it's been the least argumentative one of them all.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Half term week is now filled. BTW
Will have a look at the other forum, but I don't really like Job forums
Expectations are not the same, people looking for a job generally expect cash for hard work - not really the same, or are not independent enough to really get the best out of staying in high end resorts.
I know lots think that we just looking for free slaves, but actually nothing could be further from the truth.
We try and make sure that everyone get to be part of the fun and almost all activities are shared - yes even including when the boys have their weekends
I not making any excuses for privacy or lack of feedback, its exactly how we want it, and I don't see why that's such an problem.
I easy to confuse privacy for something that is secret and somehow sinister, until you know enough to understand that it has to be that way, but that's just a catch 22 unfortunately.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I don't really have an issue with the offer per se and the slavery nonsense is completely OTT.

However... The bit that completely confuses me is that they have been doing this for a number of years now, yet none of the volunteers have come back to post about their season - neither in support or against the experience. This strikes me as odd? I presume that the majority of candidates were found via snowHead and anyone taking the role would be well aware of the annual "debate", so you would expect at least one person to come forward (even if via a new snowHead profile) and post a report on their season? Why wouldn't they? Posting anonymously on on a forum like this is hardly exposing their (or nixmap's) identity and would give this all some credibility. If the experience was amazing. mildly positive or even neutral, then them saying that would be supportive nixmap?
snow report
ALQ, [quote]
Bit unfair. If anything, most s have gone the other way.

That wasn't directed at Snowheads, they are all generally a great lot, I meant that people's outlook can generally tend to verge towards the negative
snow conditions
Is there a confidentiality clause in the contract?
snow report
sequoiaboard, its apparently not a "job", so what sort of a contract would there be? Puzzled
snow report
I can't believe there is no young(ish) Snowhead that wants this. I would have been all over this a few years ago, alas a career has gotten in the way..... Every week you have the run of the place and at the weekend you have to be nice and look after a group of nice people. You have everything to gain in this scenario, OP is the one taking the risk!
latest report
There's me trying to work out how I'm going to escape to do a season at my age whilst still holding down a job which I could, at a push do "from home" when I read this post. Out of everything I've read on this board over the last couple of years this has to be the most intriguing. But as I'm now in the process of buying another house with my partner it's best I pass on this amazing offer. But what an opportunity for someone.
I really hope nixmap finds someone and that they all have a great time with each other (Puzzled ) .
I wish you all the best nixmap.
ski holidays
nixmap,

Hi,

My friend and I are really interested, how can we get in contact with you with a bit about ourselves?
snow report
Perrins: Welcome to snowHead just PM me and we can take it from there
ski holidays
nixmap, I genuinely hope that you apraise your [wink]serfs[/wink] of the potential pitfalls and if the brown stuff flies you'll behave with honour or won't be one to add to the volume of crap that falls.

Have a great Winter, John
snow report
Masque I thought you had almost given up by now, a tame post considering you've described me as venal and predatory.
Hopefully you've realised over the years this is a genuinely altruistic offer where both parties feel equally the winner in order to agree.
If it turns out one sided then either side can opt out without penalty.
People who can be responsible themselves over the season during the week , generally also look after themselves.
Im sad you had an unfortunate experience, but I prefer to think that people are on the whole good and basically honest as long as they themselves don't feel cheated.

Have a good winter too, Maybe I will surprise you turn up to a SOSB or EOSB and we can reach a better understanding.
snow report
Sorry for sounding thick, I am only just getting back into planning the winter holiday snowHead

But. Is this thread a wind up? Puzzled
snow conditions
kiteman69, No, it's an annual event!
ski holidays
kiteman69, As Tom Doc, said it's an annual event - been a little tame this year to be fair but there's still plenty of time Very Happy
latest report
kiteman69, As Tom Doc, said it's an annual event - been a little tame this year to be fair but there's still plenty of time Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ALQ wrote:
Yes, you did - I was agreeing with you. I think the stick is about the legal issues, not the smokescreen (I think he posted some pics last year).

Yeah, especially with this yearly debate, it's only time when someone noticed it and bring "the law" in. Who wants to take such a chance?

Also, there's a foundamental issue is the personality suitable for that "non-job" is the kind that will easily land the person a real job paying hard cash. So, he's after the same pool of reliable people who may already have other better offers.

Others, as mention by a few, who can manage the flexibility of no income season, may not want to bother.

nixmap wrote:

PaulC1984 wrote:
Perhaps with the economic upturn in recent months, you could now pay for you volunteers?

If my recollection is correct, he's been raising the "benefit" level each year. I seem to recall the 1st year's offer didn't even include a season pass!

That may also be an indication that his "volunteers" eventually realize their share weren't quite as fair and he had to improve it to keep them around to complete the season.

So yes, his offer need to be put on the same level as any paying job, no matter how much he wishes not to.
snow report
Tom Doc wrote:
kiteman69, No, it's an annual event!

Well, I hope it is still around in 2019......................That's when Mrs Kiteman and I are thinking of trying out a season chalet hosting somewhere.

I quite fancy the chance of driving a range rover during the week Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Just to clinch the decision it would be useful to know if the applicant would be expected to provide romantic services to the female guests?? How old are they??
snow report
emwmarine, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin and its usually me bringing the tone of the conversation down

Im picturing you in the role of Sommelier Belvedere off american pie Toofy Grin

Mind, having said that, I bet the parties are more like this
http://youtube.com/v/hzrhh9DyxfA see 2mins in!!
ski holidays
Every year I look at the nixmap, offer and wish it came up before dot 1 and 2 were born. Would have jumped on this in an instant.
Sure I read somewhere you're a kiwi? Fancy a batch swap. Hatepe, Taupo for a chalet for a week Very Happy
Great opportunity this. Maybe i'm a glass half full bloke but a accommodation, pass and transport for some weekend chores. Hell yes!!!
latest report
emwmarine wrote:
Just to clinch the decision it would be useful to know if the applicant would be expected to provide romantic services to the female guests?? How old are they??

That's entirely optional
snow report
Dot. wrote:
Every year I look at the nixmap, offer and wish it came up before dot 1 and 2 were born. Would have jumped on this in an instant.
Sure I read somewhere you're a kiwi? Fancy a batch swap. Hatepe, Taupo for a chalet for a week Very Happy
Great opportunity this. Maybe i'm a glass half full bloke but a accommodation, pass and transport for some weekend chores. Hell yes!!!

I have a similar offer going on my place in Wanaka but that is a bit more permanent .
I only promoted that here once .. Years ago

N
snow report
Can not imagine how much money you would burn through in expensive Swiss resorts on food and drink. I hate how across desirable positions that they are left to unpaid labour and I think it sets a terrible precedent where somehow it is deemed that a job must be boring/tiresome to be paid.

No contracts, no guarantees and a very broad job definition of what you have to do. The owners may very well be nice people but they are not your friends and you are not doing this as a favour to them. If I was in a foreign country where I didn't know anyone I would want a contract and the support of a company if things went wrong.
snow conditions
madlondoner, Some of these 'companies' offer little or no support, it beggars belief how some of them are run.
snow report
Quote:
No contracts, no guarantees and a very broad job definition of what you have to do. The owners may very well be nice people but they are not your friends and you are not doing this as a favour to them. If I was in a foreign country where I didn't know anyone I would want a contract and the support of a company if things went wrong.

I am by no means a maverick youngster but you would be amazed at some of the scooby doo I got up to before I started growing up (age 30ish). Even now I would be quite happy to travel somewhere with no transport or accomodation booked. Something which horrifies many of my work colleagues. Of course it can go wrong but equally, and IME more often than not. it's a great adventure.

If you not sitting on the edge you're taking up too much room wink
ski holidays
madlondoner, FFS you would be in Switzerland not Bolivia.

Switzerland ...where just about everybody who you will come into contact with speaks enough English if really required.
Switzerland....where a flight home, even at short notice, is going to cost you something between £60-£140. Not exactly bank breaking.
Switzerland...where your EHIC card means that the very maximum you would have to pay for hospital treatment (even for a heart transplant) is chf92 per month you are in hospital.
Switzerland...where ALL your UK credit cards, your phone will work 100% of the time.
Switzerland...where The Law is kept but a highly qualified and respectable police force.
Switzerland...where the supermarkets charge exactly the same price for the same goods, everywhere in the country, at every store in the country. It is quite possible to live a reasonable frugal life if all you have to pay for is your own food and drink five days a week....obviously if you have to eat out a lot, well that is up to you.
ski holidays
rungsp, Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy