Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski the whole 2015 season in Switzeraland for Free

Poster: A snowHead
Maybe they're slebs or royals Toofy Grin

I fancy partying with Harry, sign me up.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pedantica wrote:
Whatever rolling eyes

Exactly so quit asking the same question.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have nothing against your proposal, but it's a perfectly valid question. Your enigmatic answer is just silly and tinged with an unpleasant vanity.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cacciatore wrote:
Interesting changes to Swiss employment laws that are affecting UK chalet operators. Free accommodation and lift passes are not recognised in Swiss law as part of a remuneration package. Minimum wage laws now suggest that chalet staff should be paid the equivalent of GBP34k a year.

That's easy enough to get around. Apply for a 3-month L permit as a "job-seeker", then extend it for another 3 months - season over, "job seeking" unsuccessful, leave Switzerland. The person taking up the opportunity has accommodation available while job seeking and the arrangements private individuals come to about helping out etc is up to them.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
At last sanity.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
eng_ch wrote:
Cacciatore wrote:
Interesting changes to Swiss employment laws that are affecting UK chalet operators. Free accommodation and lift passes are not recognised in Swiss law as part of a remuneration package. Minimum wage laws now suggest that chalet staff should be paid the equivalent of GBP34k a year.

That's easy enough to get around. Apply for a 3-month L permit as a "job-seeker", then extend it for another 3 months - season over, "job seeking" unsuccessful, leave Switzerland. The person taking up the opportunity has accommodation available while job seeking and the arrangements private individuals come to about helping out etc is up to them.

I hadn't realised Swiss authorities were so easy to dupe or disinclined to be interested in seeking the truth of this sort of arrangement. Goes counter to the impression one gets, but hey ho, as a means to an end, though registering as a job seeker may well a) bring one to the attention of any authority and potentially some scrutiny and, b) go counter to Nixmap's desire for anonymity and seeming reluctance to have any involvement in potential issues of this nature (certainly reluctance to engage in any dialogue on the forum that would give peace of mind to potential applicants).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I seem to remember a snowHead in the past offering free use of an apartment/chalet to anyone who was a plumber/electrician/painter who would do some works on the place.
Forgive me but I cannot remember the specifics.

What I do remember though is that there was none of this prissy nit-picking over the legalities of that offer.

If somebody you knew simply suggested face-to-face:

Would you fancy staying at our place in Barbados for the winter. You can use the jet ski and boat as much as you like when we are not there but I would ask you to keep the place clean and tidy and to cook for us at weekends.

What is you first reaction?
Nice offer!
I'd love to but...
You are obviously dodgy...I'm calling the police!

OK so the snowHeads forum is a step away from face-to-face, but I am sure you will need to meet up with nixy and have the opportunity to look each other in the eye wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rungsp, legal nitpicking is on appearances silly but the dangers or an employment check are something potential applicants should be aware of; I would also be curious what would happen if a non-worker had an accident in the car or was stopped by the police and asked why the are allowed to drive it... In France for example it seems that you cannot just be a chauffeur, you need a regional authorisation (I've been looking into this lately)! If Switzerland is the same this could be a nightmare.

You mention Barbados which is lovely, but if I were to say you can drive my car whenever you want but you must be on call to come and pick me up in it when I want, you probably wouldn't find that very appealing. Changing the example from a car to houses in glamorous locations doesn't change what the deal is, and for me the insistence that it's 'skiing for free' and 'not a job' are a deception before the season has even begun!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rungsp wrote:
I seem to remember a snowHead in the past offering free use of an apartment/chalet to anyone who was a plumber/electrician/painter who would do some works on the place.

If its the one I'm thinking of, it didn't end particularly well for anyone, to put it mildly.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cacciatore wrote:
rungsp wrote:

If its the one I'm thinking of, it didn't end particularly well for anyone, to put it mildly.

If it isn't, then apologies. One similar arrangement did go spectacularly awry.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cacciatore wrote:
rungsp wrote:

I can imagine, the thought of somebody wiring my house FOC in return for a holiday sends shivers down my spine - I wonder how the house insurance would see it and how much comeback you would have for poor services provided - gives me shivers!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
albinomountainbadger, In Switzerland it is the car that is insured not the driver, so anyone that holds a licence can drive it. They have no restrictions on age unlike the UK.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Swissie, perhaps I wasn't clear enough but the insurance of the car is the same deal in France, the complication is driving someone else for reward.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Swissie, perhaps I wasn't clear enough but the insurance of the car is the same deal in France, the complication is driving someone else for reward.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Weird 32 minute delay between identical posts Confused
latest report
Cacciatore, you're right it is weird! I'm on my phone - perhaps it's part of the snowheads policy to discourage people from trying to visit the site on mobile devices...
snow report
Toofy Grin Laughing
latest report
nixmap wrote:
You won't get it. Not Until you have enough info to get it.
By which time you would also choose not to share it.
Catch 22

You are Captain Yossarian and I claim my free skiing in your chalet Laughing Laughing
snow report
Although I'm sure there's no skiing done in the chalet, rather it is done outside on the mountain Embarassed
snow report
consenting adults
snow report
DoubleBombardino wrote:
consenting adults
Just because you are consenting doesnt mean you will get what is agreed - my wife consents but tell me about her disapointments regularly - she also expects a wage! Happy
snow report
PaulC1984, Very Happy Laughing
snow report
DoubleBombardino wrote:

i forgot to mention she gets all expenses paid, a 'company credit card' and a carthrown in too! Happy Apparently looking after a child, cooking for two and cleaning is indeed classed as work and by no means a volunteering role Happy
ski holidays
PaulC1984 wrote:
DoubleBombardino wrote:

i forgot to mention she gets all expenses paid, a 'company credit card' and a carthrown in too! Happy Apparently looking after a child, cooking for two and cleaning is indeed classed as work and by no means a volunteering role Happy

P11d return must be a ball ache.
snow report
ansta1 wrote:
PaulC1984 wrote:
DoubleBombardino wrote:

P11d return must be a ball ache.

Her names Claire, not P11d Happy
snow report
WORKERS who demand to be paid are missing out on valuable opportunities to showcase themselves and add to their CVs, it has been claimed ...

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/business/paid-work-is-a-poor-career-choice-say-employers-2014082889950
ski holidays
moffatross wrote:
WORKERS who demand to be paid are missing out on valuable opportunities to showcase themselves and add to their CVs, it has been claimed ...

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/business/paid-work-is-a-poor-career-choice-say-employers-2014082889950

Interesting concept. Now I am all for volunteering for charities / good causes / helping out if you enjoy it, but for an 'employer' its a different story!!

When I started work many moons ago, I was stacked up against a great number of other candidates. I had the sense at the time to offer to work for them FOC for 2 weeks, on what was essentially a 2 week interview. They were taken by surprise with my offer, took me up on it and two weeks later the job was mine (and the pay!). 8 years later, having used them to gain a great deal of experience I set up my own business and have never looked back.

I agree its a good idea to offer to work for an employer FOC if needs must to prove yourself, but after 2 weeks both you and your potential employer should know if you are the right candidate.

What I dont agree with is paying people benefits due to lack of income, so that companies can increase their margins!!
snow conditions
moffatross wrote:

True if you haven't got anything on your CV to begin with.

But once you've got some expeirence, it adds nothing, but only substract an income!

Though as long as there're a pool of people willing to work without pay, those who has the experience and needed the income won't get the job. The "free" workers will always win. Erhhh... I mean the employer wins with no need to pay any sort of salary.

It's the same as off-shoreing to a low wage country. Only if there's zero wage workers on-shore, there's no need to go "off". The result is the same though, it drives down wages just as effectively.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc, I thought that the article was so blatantly satirical that a wee winky would have been unnecessary. wink
ski holidays
Theres nothing wrong with an apprentice program, as long as an apprentice getS a real job afterwards.
latest report
Of course this thread is nothing to do with a job or an apprenticeship its just an one snowhead offering another couple of snowheads a way to ski the season for free

Stop wait!, it cant be true, call the police , ban the thread, sharing your chalet is evil, its slave labor, burn the OP.....
ski holidays
nixmap, Toofy Grin People are still technically doing work for you (cooking, cleaning etc) in return for this though. Benefits in kinds are still technically taxable in the uk (if of course your chalet was in the uk). As I have said before, I think its a good offer, and as a teen or OAP I would have taken you up on it, however it is still far from conventional volunteering (charity work etc) and as such I dont like the use of it.

If you would have said unpaid work in return for use of chalet etc etc I dont think people would have given you so much stick. Obviously experiences from previous 'volunteers' would have helped your cause, but to be fair to you and your family, I completely understand if and why you have had a confidentiality clause etc put in place. I also dont see it as much of a negative that you cant provide any references, as we are all adults and can get a flight home if it doesn't work out - unless of course you've chained them up as slaves or it is a remake of Hostel Happy
snow report
Pedantica wrote:
I have nothing against your proposal, but it's a perfectly valid question. Your enigmatic answer is just silly and tinged with an unpleasant vanity.

wasnt meant to be unpleasant or vain , once something is no longer private it cannot be undone.
Asking why something is kept private, can only lead 2 outcomes

a) I Wont tell you because its private
b) I Will tell you and then its no longer private.

Each answer is equally frustrating for one or the other party, so best don't ask.
snow conditions
PaulC1984 wrote:
nixmap, Toofy Grin People are still technically doing work for you (cooking, cleaning etc) in return for this though.

If you have friends to stay with you for a few months wouldn't you expect them to share the chores and keep the place tidy.
or would you expect to give him an employment contract. Shocked Shocked

PaulC1984 wrote:
- unless of course you've chained them up as slaves or it is a remake of Hostel Happy

Granted , I don't really have answer for that. Maybe that is indeed why there is no feedback
snow conditions
nixmap wrote:
PaulC1984 wrote:
nixmap, Toofy Grin People are still technically doing work for you (cooking, cleaning etc) in return for this though.

If you have friends to stay with you for a few months wouldn't you expect them to share the chores and keep the place tidy.
or would you expect to give him an employment contract. Shocked Shocked

But you do give them a contract in terms of confidentiality do you not? I wouldn't do that with friends? To be fair, I would not have friends stay with me for a few months, but given you are initiating this arrangement with the intention of them doing the cleaning, cooking etc, I can hardly see that as a friendship - it may develop into one granted (if you dont lock them up Happy )

[/quote] Granted , I don't really have answer for that. Maybe that is indeed why there is no feedback[/quote]

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin I like your sense of humour
latest report
thanks for confirming that the "privacy" or "confidentiality" or whatever you like to call it is something requested by the chalet owner, and not the volunteers, as may have been inferred some pages back.

i'm out.
snow report
PaulC1984 wrote:

But you do give them a contract in terms of confidentiality do you not?

No. Someone else said that.
how could you ever enforce it, without defeating its purpose?
latest report
andy wrote:
i'm out.

at what time did you think you were in?
snow report
This is a job where you are paid in kind. Might be an excellent job where you are paid very well in kind (it's impossible to judge how many man-hours per week it would take on average) but that's what it is. Talk of "having friends to stay" is just daft, in this context. When I have friends to stay I expect to do more shopping, cooking and cleaning than I would just for my immediate family, though in this context the OP wants somebody to lighten the load. Equally, if I was staying with friends I would not expect to do the shopping, cooking and cleaning for them on a regular basis though neither would I just sit back and expect to be waited on.

And who has to "advertise", year after year, for new friends? Puzzled I have friends keen to stay in my poxy small apartment even without the bribe of a "free" ski pass. If I had a couple of damn great luxury chalets they'd be queueing up, I'm sure.
latest report
pam w, +1
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy