Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski the whole 2015 season in Switzeraland for Free

Poster: A snowHead
We are a private family of 4 living in Switzerland, we have a couple of chalets that we use on weekends and school holidays.
We would like to find a couple of helpful volunteers to help look after them (and us) for the winter season.
Simply speaking, that means helping out on weekends and in turn getting the rest of the week for yourselves to ski or enjoy the Swiss winter..

We split our time between chalets in Gstaad, and Klosters. The chalets have fully segregated apartments for you, this affords you privacy when you need but also close enough to be able to feel included.

We only are in one place at a time, and generally that depends on where the snowfalls balanced against where he best party is.
During the week of course you can use the full facilities of either chalets when they are empty, we just expect you to be at the right one as well. 4x4 Transport is provided and available to you

This is not a job! we want help you enjoy the season as much we do, we want you to have as much free time to ski in the week and help us make the most of our free time on the weekend by helping out with household chores.
Just don't shred all the powder on Friday. Save some for us.

What does that mean?

Typically we would arrive most weekends on a Friday night, and leave Sunday evening.
Of course there are some chores we would expect you to help out with.
Shopping, Plenty of cooking, some cleaning up after the Weekend,
Occasional child minding (ages 10 and 13) off slope and on although this isn't really necessary any more
Ski teaching some of our guests if you are up to it can bring rewards.
Ski teaching our kids ? Good luck - they have skied every weekend since age 3 - body armour not included..

There isn't that much to do, we generally don't trash our own place and our kids are tidy, there is not a new set of guests every Saturday.
I'm pleased to say that even on the busiest weekends mostly there is time enough for everyone to get on the slope - sometimes together - sometimes not.

In the week do what you like. Ski passes and transport included, and generally you are invited to join us for meals if you wish.
Getting here and what you consume in your own time is up to you.
Occasionally we may have house guests, and school holidays mean we would stay for longer periods which is an extra work load, but not a disaster but always more fun

So if you want to get a free ski season, just send me a message.

As usual you can get your questions answered here..
I hope again we can help some snow heads to get more snow-time and they do the same for us in return

Nix.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 5-07-14 11:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi nixmap, welcome back.

Popcorn anyone Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good luck nixmap, wasn't sure how to keep myself entertained until the football comes on - problem solved Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi nixmap, good luck, IMHO this still looks like a great opportunity for the right person, and I still wish that could person could be me. Ignore the inevitable snipes Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good luck, hope you get a good response without the annual abuse. Seems a fair offer and for the right couple a real treat.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
For the sake of brevity allow me to paraphrase the next few pages:
Slavery
Exploitation
Suspicious
How come none of the previous incumbants return or report?
Is Admin aware?
Is Admin complicit?
Illegal under Swiss law.
"I'm calling the police"
It's a great opportunity
Live and let live
"I'd do it if I could"
Masque exploding in rage.

Variations of the above.....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rungsp, Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rungsp, Laughing I just wish he'd buy a chalet somewhere francophone, and I'd be on it like a shot!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rungsp, Can not agree - much better then chaletjob Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Timberwolf wrote:
Hi nixmap, good luck, IMHO this still looks like a great opportunity for the right person, and I still wish that could person could be me. Ignore the inevitable snipes Very Happy

Thanks for our support, I have tried to improve the offer over time, and be fair to all applicants.
The way it stands now, with a free double area ski pass and a free car, sometimes I wish it could be me!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pedantica wrote:
rungsp, Laughing I just wish he'd buy a chalet somewhere francophone, and I'd be on it like a shot!

Gstaad is Francophone so whats stopping you.
You used to complain about ankle biters ... well don't think they are around my ankles now.
More like wallet eaters, Saturday afternoon shopping in Gstaad High street with a teenage daughter is a true card killer.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nixmap,
Quote:

Gstaad is Francophone
Since when? Confused
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some tour operators offer a weekend rep job without pay, you just get a lift pass and accommodation. I dare say this here, without the questionable contracts, payslips and direct debit shenanigans, sounds like a much better alternative.

On the other hand, a friend of mine does this sort of thing for a British family in France. She has her own 3 bedroom house in the grounds of their mansion and use of two cars. She also gets a nice wage.

Depends what you're happy doing really, this strikes me as a great career break option but clearly not a career itself.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nixmap, hooray! Welcome back Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pedantica wrote:
nixmap,
Quote:

Gstaad is Francophone
Since when? Confused

At least since I was at school.
Officially its the wrong side of the line but practically French is more commonly spoken.
Most of the weekend people there come up from Lausanne and Geneva

Besides what have you got against saxophones
snow report
albinomountainbadger wrote:

Depends what you're happy doing really, this strikes me as a great career break option but clearly not a career itself.

Anyone looking for a career might look elsewhere , I reckon a couple of our previous guests could now claim a seasons work experience as a chef, ended up being pretty good after a while.
Anyhow we are searching for people who feel comfortable helping others and share our passion for skiing.
This is not a job, or career.
snow conditions
I think the experience of a season is much enhanced if you feel really comfortable with the locals and not like an outsider - that's certainly what kept me sane when I did a season many years ago in Verbier. Hobnobbing with transient gilded visitors is not enough. French is the only foreign language which gives me a chance in that department.
snow conditions
rungsp, beat me to it Toofy Grin

nixmap, retirement plan? How are the Swiss at chucking out squatters?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/30/us/california-nanny-squatter-duplicate-2/ . . . where can I apply Twisted Evil
ski holidays
nixmap wrote:
This is not a job..

Ah, I must have misread it. So it's a timeshare where one party owns and controls everything including the other party?

I believe this is a good package for the some people, they are many who have a great life housesitting in mansions etc, but don't delude yourself as to what you're asking.
ski holidays
...and we're off... popcorn, please! Toofy Grin
snow report
nixmap, if you ever get a chalet in Wengen I'd be more than happy to look after it for you, But Gstaad and Klosters are a little too rich for me, nearest I've got to staying at either was the Kulm Hotel at Davos Wolfgang and I think it was the Hotel Kernen at Schonreid. But I lost my heart to the Bernese Oberland many decades ago
ski holidays
If I was 20 years younger, I'd do this like a shot. Can't believe the OP is getting some grief TBH, sacrifice some pay for a shed load of time on the mountain, bonza.
snow report
trainee snowboard jedi wrote:
If I was 20 years younger, I'd do this like a shot. Can't believe the OP is getting some grief TBH

My bingo card is filling up nicely.
ski holidays
PS very jealous, what a life!
ski holidays
Did nixmap make his money as a popcorn mogul ?
snow report
So what period is involved i.e. season start and end? Are language skills required?
snow report
No, you will be locked in the basement, never to be heard of again.

Just Kidding.

I think understanding kiwi might help.
snow report
What is the approx cost of half a litre of beer and a bottle of reasonable plonk? Toofy Grin

How are the shopping and fuel costs managed?

Are there airport ferrying duties?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm sure there are plenty of people that would appreciate this position.

I really have no idea why anyone would be against someone offering this sort of opportunity.

If I were younger and in a different position I'd jump at the chance.

Imagine living and skiing with your loved one for a season, in relative luxury and doing a few chores that are normal to most peoples lives... cooking, cleaning, helping out, entertaining, being social.

I'd imagine the life skills and contacts you make are amazing.
ski holidays
Quote:

I really have no idea why anyone would be against someone offering this sort of opportunity.

I have nothing against it except the irritating insistence that it's "free".
snow report
spud, essentially Nix is running a flanker around lots of regs, laws and common sense. That nothing has gone teat vertical is just luck . . . or mendacity wink All I say these days if that if you apply then you need to be aware that if it turns turd-like, the cloaca is deep and stinky.
latest report
Let's face it, supply and demand. And some people don't know any better.
albinomountainbadger wrote:
Some tour operators offer a weekend rep job without pay, you just get a lift pass and accommodation. I dare say this here, without the questionable contracts, payslips and direct debit shenanigans, sounds like a much better alternative.

On the other hand, a friend of mine does this sort of thing for a British family in France. She has her own 3 bedroom house in the grounds of their mansion and use of two cars. She also gets a nice wage.

I too, know someone who did similar duty as the latter, with a nice wage on top of that.

But, others not knowing any better, did the former, without wage!

Still, it's a matter of what one wants. If what's offered here is acceptable to the individual, it really doesn't matter if someone else is receiving a nice wage doing the same. There're people making more doing the same as I do. But until I land something like that, I'm stuck getting paid what I got paid. And there're high school drop out doing what I do for 1/4 of what I make, because they didn't know they could get more.

As they say, you don't get what you deserve, you get what you negociate. As long as there're applicants to this offer, it'll keep the "wage" at zero.

For those who weren't here in year 1 when this offer was first proposed, ski pass wasn't included then. And the children were smaller and needed more supervising. This now is probably the better arrangment than before. Also keep in mind the children will grow up and the family may one day decide they no longer need a cook/house-sitter any more. So get a jump on it if you're interested.

It's not "free" (you've got to do work). But it isn't a job either (no protection). As for the "volunteer" "helping" part, it's as much volunteering as my going to the office "volunteerily", knowing I'd get a nice sum deposited into my bank account! I really couldn't care less if they say what I have isn't a "job"!!! Mind you, I "help out" a bunch at the office too. Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

I have nothing against it except the irritating insistence that it's "free".

and the equally irritating insistence that it's "not a job". Of course it's a job, for which you are paid in kind but which might nonetheless be a good opportunity for a couple with the financial means to live without pay for some months and pay their fares and other expenses but lacking the dosh to do a season without working.

It could be a fantastically wonderful way to do a lot of skiing in Switzeraland, but it's not free and it is a job. wink Whether it's a good deal depends on the opportunity cost of your time and some reliable indication of just how many day's work, during the season, you could expect to do.

Cue the OP telling us that this isn't a job because cleaning, laundry, shopping, preparing meals and clearing up isn't "work" at all when it's all happy friends together Laughing Laughing

Reminds me of George Herbert's lines:-

All may of Thee partake ;
Nothing can be so mean
Which with this tincture (for Thy sake)
Will not grow bright and clean.

A servant with this clause
Makes drudgery divine :
Who sweeps a room as for Thy laws,
Makes that and th' action fine.
snow report
I think snowheads had beaten this horse dead many times over!

It's "free" as in "buy 1 get one free", which I always found irritating no matter how many times I seen it used.
snow report
nixmap, when you or your guests arrive at weekends/holidays, are there set hours of work or are the (can't say employees... Dunno what to call them...) 'chalet sitters' expected to be at your beck and call 24hrs/day? What percentage of the ski season, in days, will you/your guests be present?
ski holidays
dode, a few years back a friend took this offer up, he said that most weekends the owners were present, and they were also there for a week at Christmas, a week at Easter, and there was a random week when a party of males turned up which was quite rowdy, but the alcohol, and girls they brought back each night more than made up for it! My friend said it was the best season of his life.
ski holidays
Quote:
My friend said it was the best season of his life.

^^^ Here endeth the lesson

(but I better get more popcorn just in case...)
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, how did he survive in Gstaad/Klosters for the season with no income? Did he need a 2nd (or should that be 1st???) job? Did he return for another season?
ski holidays
He probably took the burger van with him.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 8-07-14 10:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
dode, I have done seasons in Swiss land without an income!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy