Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer skiing/boarding?

Poster: A snowHead
Winter seems so far away! I would love to hear if any one has plans for glacier trips this summer. Where are you going, how long for, where are you staying and how are you getting there? (Usually a lurker - as you can see my first post.)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lambo89 wrote:
Winter seems so far away! I would love to hear if any one has plans for glacier trips this summer. Where are you going, how long for, where are you staying and how are you getting there? (Usually a lurker - as you can see my first post.)

Welcome Smile

I was at the Stubai Glacier last month and if other glaciers offer a smiliar experience in July, August & September, then I strongly recommend making the trip.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=111243

Sorry I can't make any specific recommendations. Not done it.

I've gone down South in the past - NZ, Chile and Argentina.

Can definitely recommend all of those.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for your reply - I enjoyed reading that thread, nice pics!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks. Hopefully somebody will be around soon to provide more pertinent info.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm watching this thread closely as I haven't got a summer hol planned at the moment and this is quite appealing. Quite like the idea of skiing for a few hours in the morning, a bit of mountain biking in the afternoon, chill by the pool late afternoon, then drinks and lively bars in the evening. Does such a place exist??!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Handy Turnip, any of the European glacier resorts which offer summer skiing should give you days like that. I've skied Tignes a few times in the summer and really enjoyed it. Early skiing followed by a choice of biking, walking, via Ferrara, whitewater rafting or just lazing end enjoying the scenery. We'll worth doing.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I thought snowheads liked nothing more than telling of their future snow plans, maybe not that many people doing it in the grand scheme of things. Where would you say is the easiest/quickest to get to? I take it best bet is driving?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lambo89, Best thing with summer skiing, unless you're doing some intensive coaching, is to combine a spot of skiing with some of the other activities on offer. for details of just one area - Les Deux Alpes - http://www.skipass-2alpes.com/

The glacier tends to be pretty full of racers training. They're great (if humbling) to watch but they take up a lot of the space available. You need to be up the mountai early, and pack up in the middle of the day when it gets slushy. I found that after being in the lift queue at 0700 and then having a three hour ski lesson at very high altitude my plans for doing energetic stuff in the afternoon came to naught. wink A gentle walk and a few cold beers in the hot sunshine was more like it.

Personally, I go to the Alps every summer but unless I was having lessons (a great way to take advantage of the facilities on offer) I wouldn't bother with glacier skiing, as there are so many other great things to do and the alpine valleys are beautiful in summer.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lambo89, There is plenty of space and skiing on the Austrian glaciers - Hintertux, Stubai, Kitzsteinhorn all have race camps with racers of all levels, from World Cup skiers down to children taking part in their first ever race camp. Hintertux stays open all year and opens and closes slopes according to demand and snow conditions. Kitzsteinhorn and Stubai close to skiing in mid to late July then open again in September (again according to conditions). Sölden is sometimes open in the summer months, but it really re-opens in late September. Another glacier available for a few hours sliding is Mölltal but I'm not sure if it is open all summer. World Cup racers use it for speed training that's for sure.

I ski regularly throughout the summer - the wetter and poorer the summer, the more I ski. Early mornings 8.00 at the lifts and finish early as well, in hot weather it is really hard to plough through the slush after about 13:30. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheers rob@rar, I saw the white water rafting on their website, looks awesome - definitely fancy that. Did a bit in Africa many years ago and it was great fun.

What sort of temperatures do you get in Tignes at resort level in the summer?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Handy Turnip, comfortable shorts and t-shirt temperatures if the sun is shining, generally nice but not too hot. The whitewater rafting takes place down the valley starting in Bourg St Maurice and heading downriver from there. Lots of fun.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm going on the snoworks race carve course next week in Tignes- I'll post to let you know how I get on. I think rob@rar may have done it in the past?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ps, flights with easyjet, transfers arranged through snoworks, booked a hotel direct (Gentiana, which I've always fancied staying in as it has a rep for good food).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
evski wrote:
I'm going on the snoworks race carve course next week in Tignes- I'll post to let you know how I get on. I think rob@rar may have done it in the past?
No their summer courses but a long time ago I did some of their autumn training courses. More recently I've taken my own groups with Inside Out Skiing, but this year we're not running a trip there because of diary constraints. Emma has posted some nice photos of their slalom training on the Val d'Isere glacier earlier this week.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, thanks, I'll check out the photos. I did an autumn course with Emma a few years ago too- I think they called it something like all terrain performance. Very good it was.
snow report
I've posted a fair bit on summer skiing (especially Tignes) over the years - eg see the following links, which include a few photos Smile :

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1828252&highlight=summer#1828252

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2324209&highlight=summer#2324209

Unfortunately not going to Tignes this summer - so will just have to make do with our Glencoe summer ski touring of 2 weeks ago.
ski holidays
cheers mountainaddict, great links - the more and more i read, the more tempting it becomes! Very Happy
latest report
Great links.
snow conditions
Oops....message below was duplicated Confused

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 7-07-14 18:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Cheers Mike Pow!

You know it makes sense Handy T - you'd love it!

We (supposedly) aren't going abroad this summer to save a few quid towards some grand holiday plans for 2015 Confused....but all this has got me looking at easyjet flights for next week... Confused
ski holidays
Could well snow on the Tignes glacier this week. You know you want to!
ski holidays
evski, snowed yesterday I think.
snow report
Snow down as far as 2000m here in the Tirol/Salzburgerland Alps over the next couple of days. This is usually a fairly conservative estimate, so it could easily be a lot lower. Main point being that the glaciers are still open and we could be seeing more slopes open over the weekend than usual at this time of the year. Toofy Grin The Tux, Stubai and Kitzsteinhorn glaciers are all still open as far as I know (Hintertux is open all year round any way!). Maybe I'll sneak off for a slide or two before they put me out of action for the rest of the summer when they operate on my shoulder. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I've just edged my skis and got the snow wax on. I'm a happy boy!
ski holidays
Quote:
I've just edged my skis and got the snow wax on. I'm a happy boy!
Er are you just easily pleased evski, or are you going skiing? Toofy Grin

We're not Sad - definitely not going to Tignes - but making do with tackling the 3 Peaks on foot then biking an off road(ish) version of the Coast to Coast.
ski holidays
Easily pleased AND going skiing. A good combination. Very Happy
snow conditions
Thanks for the replies, will have a read through! Very Happy
latest report
A few pics from Tignes this week to whet your appetite (if anyone can tell me how to resize them I'd appreciate it!)

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks awesome, thanks for posting - lots of blue skies, was the weather good?
snow report
Weather's been a bit variable. Low visibility Sunday and Monday, gorgeous since then, apart from a biblical hailstorm that lasted for about an hour last night. Back to glorious blue sky today.

I was quite pleasantly surprised by the extent of skiable terrain. For those who know Tignes, it's still possible to ski full width runs back to the Vanoise chair. The Snoworks race carve course has been fantastic- highly recomend it for anyone interested in improving their carving by GS training. Today we were training right next to the French team- something special to see close up.
snow report
Signed up for the Snoworks race carve course in Tignes from 2nd - 9th July. Wasn't quite what i was looking for originally, but I'm looking forward to it. Read the advice above to take your normal skis. However, my normal skis are Line SFB twin tip 108mm underfoot - I use them all over the mountain, in all conditions, but I guess not very suited to skiing gates... That said, I like using them. I will hire some piste skis in resort, but can't decide whether to take my skis as well. Flying out with Swiss and back with Easyjet, so I think it'll only cost be £30 with Easyjet to take them. Leave them at home or take them?
latest report
Id leave them if you're doing a racing course. There won't be any off piste.
latest report
@pam w, I use them on the piste all the time. Dont find them any harder to get on their edges than my all mountain skis which are 80mm underfoot (will probably take those).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy