Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Learning to ski

Poster: A snowHead
I've just started learning to ski at Norfolk snowsports Club. I'm left leg amputee so am learning 3 track. Have to say the instructors have been great, there's such a lot to try and get your head around! They started me with a thing like a giant zimmer frame with skis on the bottom but fairly quickly had me on a tether using outriggers. So far I've been getting a bit more confident in my balance and trying to keep my weight forwards and not squat down. I've got a basic idea how to use the outriggers and shifting my balance onto the edge of the ski to carry out turns left and right. They've had me try a sharper turn to make myself stop across the slope, current I can get the turn started but as soon as I try to get it side on I'm falling, it does mean I stop Laughing . Got a feeling I'm trying to turn my whole body so hence get too much lean on and fall but sure I'll get there eventually. One good thing about it is I have had to work out how to get up when I fall over. Don't know if it's just me or is the way it normally works, but it seems stupidly harder to get back up stump side downhill than if I flip stump side up the hill. I suppose in a way it doesn't matter so long as you can get yourself up again.

I'll try and give updates on progress, if I remember! Current main updates, having fun but holy heat rub my thigh and calf ache! I decided I'd give skiing a go as both my kids are wanting to learn and my thoughts were it might be slightly less boring if I could ski with them sometimes rather than just watching.

Cheers,
Kevin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
disbloke, welcome to snowHeads. Sounds like you have made an excellent start!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Don't know if it's just me or is the way it normally works, but it seems stupidly harder to get back up stump side downhill than if I flip stump side up the hill.

No, not just you, that's the way it works. Everything is easier when your weight is on the downhill ski.
Most of us struggle to get up with any grace and alacrity even with two legs - you sound as if you have made a great start.

And another welcome to SHs.

snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
disbloke, Big respect to you for learning to 3 track on Dendix! I've tried 3 tracking on dry slopes and it's horribly difficult to make the ski turn because of the friction. On the plus side, you'll find it really easy once you get to ski on snow Smile
Flipping yourself over so that your ski leg is on the downhill side is perfectly ok and is the way I would teach anyone 3 tracking to stand up.
Keeping your weight forward, not squatting down and getting some movement in your leg as you make the turn are the key to reducing thigh ache.
Good luck with your lessons. It sounds like you're having fun. Very Happy
I'll be interested to hear about your progress... In the meantime, if you have any questions I'm happy to help. (I've been teaching adaptive skiing for many years).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
disbloke, welcome from a resident 'best impression of a stranded whale when I fall routine' person. I assume that your ultimate aim is to ski confidently on a single ski? If so, you should know that when you achieve this, you will have the undying respect of every two ski skier on the hill as it is an instructors favourite drill for us! Good luck with it, and don't get too annoyed when you kids learn it quicker than you, 'cos that happens to all parents!!! LOL
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for all the welcomes. Not a a problem with my kids getting there way before me. Especially when my girl starts in a few weeks, she's been doing ballet since 2 1/2yrs old, does hand stands and cartwheels and has a ridiculous sense of balance, really shows when she roller skates! She's just coming up to her 6th birthday. Yes I fully intend to get confident on single ski, not like I've got much choice really. What I do need to do is take a leap of faith and stop "keeping" the outriggers in contact, just not sure my pulse can take it yet. Goes completely against everything your brain is telling you, when they have been off seems easier to slide and move but can't convince my body to let them come off. Just figure I've got to take it easy, not do anything, too, stupid and as I gain confidence hope I feel happy to do what needs. Having seen the things paralympians do I can't see me ever doing that but shows what can be done. Think it helps that before I lost my leg I used to do all manner of stupid things, some of which I still do.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Having seen the things paralympians do I can't see me ever doing that but shows what can be done.

I suspect that practically none of us has any hope of doing things Olympians do - even after many years of lessons and lots of skiing. Take it easy. wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well, I've had a bit more practice falling over, I mean trying to get the stop done. I did very nearly get the stop done but just as I had the ski coming round lost my balance and basically sat down. Did a bit of practice standing sideways on the slope trying to go from the edge to letting the ski skid sideways so iI was drifting down and stopping again. Also had me sideways on edge then try to put my weight more on my big toe and skid the ski in and out at heel, feels so wrong especially because I was then, slowly, going backwards until I push the heel in and the ski goes on its edge and you stop. Got me to do it the other way too so you point the front of the ski slight down hill before stoping the slide.

On the plus side it's now really easy to get my self back up after falling. Best crash so far: ski down slope initiating controlled turns left and right, on a tether instructor following on foot, he didn't realise i was going to fully lift the outriggers off and only touch down if needed, picked up speed faster than he realised, instructor went A over T snatching my leg out from under me with the tether! Oops! In a pile on the slope me asking if he was okay after he'd rolled down the slope hitting my ski. Must have looked quite comical to anyone watching.

Overall I'm happy where I've got to and the weirdest thing has been realising if I look ahead a bit in front of the ski even though I go faster it's actually easier to do what i'm trying to do and I'm in more control. Talk about counterintuitive!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
disbloke, all sounds very familiar whether with two legs or one....apart from the instructor taking the client out! Gald you are making progress and continuing to enjoy it
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi Kevin, great to hear about your skiing progress and well done for getting into skiing Smile I am sure you will have amazing time skiing with your family and it is the best way to keep fit and improve your balance. Regarding your learning, it is on one hand a bit easier to get the basics on a plastic slope (as it is not as slippery to move around), but as soon as you get going it is a bit harder comparing to the real snow (as Sara mentioned if there is less friction skiing works much better). So far it sounds like you are making great progress and having well good time! As 'pam w' mentioned watching paralympians to ski is very spectacular and inspirational, but it doesn't happen over night and it takes many miles on the slope to get to their level, but it is not impossible to achieve Wink
You dont get to see many movies when people are not racers or great skiers already. Please see one of my movies taken during adaptive ski lesson when I was teaching a 14 years old boy to ski. After a few lessons he progressed to be independent enough to ski on the main slope.

http://youtube.com/v/zvA1MJHzgDI

I would def. recommend a trip to one of the snow domes and have a go on the snow. You will find it works much different, but might be able to progress quicker and what seemed to be hard work or impossible to do on the plastic will come easy on snow. In the future getting a knee brace might be a good idea - there is a lot of forces going through your knee when skiing on one leg and giving an extra support will secure your knee a bit more.
Please keep us posted on your progress and how are you getting on. If you have any question regarding equipment or anything please do not hesitate to contact me.
All the best, Dom
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
disbloke,
How are you progressing?
I coach adaptive rowers - although they are now calling it Rowability. It a small but growing sport at the moment. I think skiing is further down the line in terms of equipment and facilities. I think there is a lot we can learn from other sports. Keep us informed about any problems and issues you have - or indeed any good practice.
As has been said lots of respect!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thought about time I'd update. Ski club has a rather long break over the summer in Adaptive sessions so last on was back at end of July and first one back was 2 weeks ago. Plan 2 weeks agon was a quick trip down the slope to get a bit of the ski legs back then start working on little "hops" to get the weight off the back of the ski and slide the back out to get ready tolearn how to stop. Well after just under an hour of hopping left, middle, right, middle etc down the slope I inadvertantly/accidently did stop side on but only due to the fact my thigh muscle decided it didn't want to play anymore and a left hand hop turned into a tighter turn and stop.

Was back on the slope again today witht he aim being to work on actually getting some controlled stops in on purpose. Took some time as well as a bit of work figuring out what I was doing as opposed to what I should be doing but was getting there. It's all in the balance! Strangely it started off feeling that the easiest and best way to hockey stop was turning left, left leg amputee and it genuinely is easier to skid the back of the ski right to turn left, but I was really struggling to get the stop in and stay on my feet. Managed it, but, when I then tried going the the other way, this felt all wrong as I was then putting my stump side downhill which seemed less safe, it was actually far easier to keep myself looking down the hill when turning to the right and then be more stable as the stop was finishing. Not sure if that will make any sense... When we thought about it, instructor and myself, were thinking that maybe it was to do with when you turn the turning forces naturally move you body weight over the ski on the side that you are turning to. Not such a problem on 2 skis but as soon as you are on one it either moves you over the ski or just off it hence i was falling more turning left. I did get a few good stops in turning both directions and reckon in time and practice I should automatically be able to get my weight in the right place without thinking about it, just at the moment I need to work harder!

Other bits, got myself a knee brace figured I might as well do what I can to look after the one knee I've got. Club, well snowboarders, are wanting to look into seeing if they can get adaptive started for snowboarding so they were wanting to try and find out a bit about how different prosthetics work and what they my be able to do to help amputees to try snowboarding. Biggest plus was spent most of session off the leash with no tether as they decided I didn't need it anymore as I have good enough control over basic turns and speed. Now got 3 weeks until next session but lots to take in and consider in the meantime.

Considering investing in a pair of my own boots, well only one really, as I do have a bit of dropped arch so would likely benefit from a proper fitting boot.

Cheers, Kevin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks Kevin for an update, great to hear that you are still skiing. All you are writing it makes sense and thats the physics of the turn -it is always easier to turn towards the missing leg, as the weight stays on "outside" ski of the turn (right in your left turn). Getting your won ski boot is def. good idea as skiing on one leg you need to make sure that you ski boot is very well fitted. You haven't mentioned anything about outriggers....are you using any? Or just skiing with regular ski poles?
Regards, Dom
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Using single ski and outriggers so 3 tracking. Sorry if I'd not said. It's certainly hard work coordinating everything, weight on ski properly, outriggers in right place pointing the right way, keeping yourself upright not leaning into turn, NOT looking where you are going but where you want to go! All sounds so easy......
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
disbloke, Good to hear that you're progressing. Smile and it's great to hear that you aren't being tethered. Hopefully, not having a tether has made it easier for you to stay in balance.

Good luck with your next session.

As for amputee snowboarding? You might like to look at this:

http://youtube.com/v/g2WyZj0e3Ck
Very Happy
ski holidays
Wow - great video Sara!

Disbloke, sounds like progress! If you have a look in the technique forum I think you'll find a thread about various snowheads (me included) trying to learn to turn BOTH ways on one leg - I seem to remember there are videos. Suffice to say you are not the only one that finds it a bit tricky Smile Have you got plans for heading to the snow this season?

aj xx
snow report
Well it's been an age since I last posted. I did get up 3 tracking, off the tether etc, but life kind of got in the way as well as the adaptive club sessions being hugely booked up, so ended up on a re-think.

Thought things over and figured, single dad 2 young(ish) kids skiing and me 3 track, might end up a few issues when get to bottom and I'm scrapping along on one ski with kids zipping all over. So, after bit of a delay I finally got around to starting to learn to snowboard. Figured 2 legs attached to walk about might be a bit easier than 1 and thinking now how far to where my leg is?

Just had my second lesson with James from DSUK at Hemel, well technically 3rd as did 2 1 hour lessons before, so have had 3 1/2 hours on the board. Loved the first lesson so much even sorted my own kit socials get it set up to "fake" the dorsiflexion on my prosthesis. Video taken by my son, he's a boarder so is loving me learning.

http://youtube.com/v/vbWZshuXu_U
snow conditions
@disbloke, top stuff mate, keep it up Very Happy
snow conditions
@disbloke, Did you carry on with your skiing/boarding?
snow report
I did and still am when I can get time to. Had more lessons with DSUK at Hemel and try to get to dryslope occasionally. Work and kids tend to be at same time as dryslope has improvers on!

I can link few turn on slope at Hemel and need to work on my heel side as is still loads weaker than toes. Toes is fine, I tend to find it much harder to get the balance point right on the heel edge.

Need to find some time to try and get some slope time at Hemel whilst kids are on the summer holidays.
snow report
Nice one, keep it up Very Happy
snow conditions
Hi Kevin,
I am one of the adaptive team at Norfolk Snowsports Club. I am not sure how far away you are from us but if you are close then would be great to meet you and have a chat one session if you ever get chance to pop by. We have an amputee learning ski at the moment and would be great to chat to you about how you have found it over the past few years learning skiing and boarding.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy