Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 14/15 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

probability of milder than average September and Autumn as a whole for the UK

Certainly very mild at present. Just had supper sitting outside in a T shirt watching the moon on the water. Temperature is 19 degrees at 2030. Lovely. Little Angel
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
which is, pam w, excellent, non? we are heading to Geneva and the municipal pool for lunch. Cool
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ZAMG going for a milder than average Autumn.

http://www.zamg.ac.at/cms/de/wetter/produkte-und-services/saisonprognose

Though they note that seasonal outlooks are not precise forecasts and mention that their August outlook was for 50% probability of above average rather than the colder than average month which Austria had.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

50% probability of above average

Isn't that basically true by definition?!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ChrisWo, No, not as I understand it. Though maybe it would be a 50% probability of being above the median. Stats not my strong point. Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ChrisWo, no because if you look at the article and the diagram above it you can see it has three broad outcomes not just two. Colder than average, average and warmer than average. So 50% probability for one of those would mean 20/30 or 10/40 or a rather unlikely 0/50 split for the other two. But it could also be 30/40/30 or 60/20/20 or various other permutations.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It makes kind of pointless reading though without the agency's synoptic best-guessing behind it (the UK's met office generally accompany their own tea leaf reading seasonal forecasts with projected mean surface pressure charts etc).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
moffatross, yep, but it is what it is, so make of it what you will. Or not.

Meteosuisse is pretty blunt on the point saying winter forecasts achieve a success rate of only about 55% (ie wrong nearly half the time) so not something to use for long term planning such as holidays. I've seen some reports that suggest that this figure might be improving, but nothing to suggest you'd want to put a great deal of weight on them.

http://www.meteosuisse.admin.ch/web/de/klima/klima_morgen/klimaausblick/klimaausblick_herbst/saisonale_vorhersage_he.html
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Always typical that most of these forecasts do not present their skill at predicting previous events, despite the ease with which this could be done (why not a simple uncertainty (stdev) on the forecast, and why the presentational gymnastics with the 'below, average, above' split?!). Nice that they admit being so wrong about August. As far as I can tell, they don't even say how the forecast is made, whether modelled or surmised or combination. Models for instance have a high degree of persistence, so if the spin up was warmer than average (which this year has been for much of the rest of the world), then the forecast will be warmer than average (however you define average). They are good at simple extrapolation, and particularly bad at predicting transitions, and the autumn-winter transition is a strong annual event in Central Europe which is particularly difficult to get right at this kind of range.

For example (my Germans nicht so gut), but looking back, I notice that for the autumn 2012 they predicted November to be an especially cold month, with very high probability..

"November 2012 somit von der letzten Prognose doch deutlich, welche noch mit sehr hoher Wahrscheinlichkeit von einem zu kalten November ausgegangen ist."

Yet..

Austria was in fact 2.3°C warmer than the 1971–2000 average.

"Österreichweit gesehen lag dieser November um 2,3 ° C über dem vieljährigen Mittel. Beachtlich sind die Regionen von Unterkärnten, über die südliche Steiermark bis zum Südburgenland. Hier war es sogar um 3 bis 4° C wärmer, das bedeutet Platz sieben in der Messgeschichte.“

http://www.zamg.ac.at/cms/de/klima/news/vorlaeufige-bilanz-november-2012

Back to the tea leaves?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
FreeBeer, fair point though for what it's worth the Meteosuisse provides the following self assessment:

Frühlingsprognose etwa 65%.
Sommerprognose etwa 60%
Herbstprognose etwa 55%
Winterprognose etwa 55%

I think most of them try to strike a balance somewhere between making it relatively straightforward to understand and trying to explain the complexity. Almost all if them caveat them pretty heavily. It's not a straightforward balance to make. If they publish them then they get criticised because they aren't always "right" although given the spread of possibilities this is perhaps to misunderstand how they work (unlikely events still happen). If they don't publish them people suspect some sort of conspiracy to "hide the truth" (that being what "they" always do).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The seasonal forecasts (from respected agencies) are of some value for sure, especially if they publish some methodology too. If methodology is in the public domain, and people also understand that seasonal outlooks are verifying to at most 55%-65% accuracy (as above) simply for warmer/colder or wetter/drier than normal, then at least it helps people understand the context of a seasonal forecast that predicts a destructive storm over Paris on 23rd October, and a 3 day long blizzard in London on 3rd December, and why that'll have been written by a crackpot.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bit of a cold blast heading towards the Alps at the weekend. Doesn't look like it will last long, but temperatures could drop 10C in places.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
America predicting big snow this winter.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cooler weather reaching the eastern Alps at the end of the week.

The Austrian glacier look like getting 10-20cm down to 1700-1800m on Friday.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Outlook for the next week looks by and large mild for the time of year.

The Arlberg

Chamonix

Cairngorm

ski holidays
Nothing in the output at present to really suggest anything cold in September.

http://youtube.com/v/43yvS6bPZDs
snow report
Some suggestions that the last week of September could see cooling back towards seasonal average.
ski holidays
Still some suggestions that temperatures might fall back towards average in the last week of September, though nothing really cold at this stage.
snow report
How do I find theses graphs thanks
snow conditions
any toddler can create these sort of graphs, just give them some paper and crayons
snow conditions
Never mind sorted it Smile
snow conditions
I think the technical term, for the last few years, is 'wigglies' not 'graphs'.
snow report
In general terms there continues to be a trend towards temperatures cooling towards seasonal averages in the last week of September. On the charts above it's more pronounced this morning in Scotland and less evident in the eastern Alps.
latest report
May see snow briefly below 2000m on Monday night Tuesday morning in Eastern Alps.
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:
In general terms there continues to be a trend towards temperatures cooling towards seasonal averages in the last week of September. On the charts above it's more pronounced this morning in Scotland and less evident in the eastern Alps.

The air should cool down quickly in Scotland as of today Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
This morning's output still indicates a cool start to the last week of September in the Alps, but doesn't look like it is anything sustained and if anything temperatures look like returning to milder than average.

Meanwhile here's a good piece from Capital Weather Gang on winter forecasts.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/08/28/should-you-believe-winter-forecasts-issued-in-august-probably-not/

Bastardi is it turns out calling it cold.

And their thoughts on the Empire News spoof.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/09/08/record-shattering-snow-this-winter-dont-fall-for-it/
snow report
Autumn equinox not too far off now.

Tuesday morning 0229 GMT if you happen to be up.
latest report
Cool start to next week in the Alps.

But ECM warms it up again by next weekend.

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Less than 24 hours to equinox.

Some cooler, or close to seasonal weather in the Alps over the next week, but high pressure and milder temperatures look dominant as we head into October.

Good hiking weather potentially.
snow report
Faint sprinkle of snow on Nordkette this morning... Won't last long.

http://www.nordkette.com/en/cable-railways/webcam.html
ski holidays
Also snow on the peaks around Schruns - looks damn pretty in the morning sun!
snow report
nozawaonsen, always snows around the autumnal equinox in my experience. I got to drive home early from work last September to put my winter tyres on as it had snowed in my village. Didn't last but the risk was too great to stay on summers with a 16% gradient up to the village. Got all excited then it didn't snow properly again until the end of November! We have a long weekend most Octobers (Tag der Deutsche-Einheit on 3rd October) and I've often been caught out with summer tyres on as I drive to or from a short stay vacation. Worst was about 7 years back as we drove over the Tauern-Autobahn from Kärnten back to Bayern in what started as heavy cold rain and then quickly changed into a full-blown snow storm! I definitely was not my usual lead-footed self on that particular journey. Again it did not stay around but the winter was quite a good 'un in the end Laughing
latest report
Yes, heading out of the cooler weather over the next couple of days and for now at least the tail of September and start of October looking generally quite mild for the time of year.

http://www.wxmaps.org/pix/temp4.html
latest report
interesting near the end of this (2mins 20 secs in ) about high confidence in all their computer models for the blocking high to hang around...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/29333298
snow conditions
Temperatures look like warming up over the weekend, but out in FI the 06z is punting the idea of cooler weather in the Alps from 05 October.
latest report
But not so this morning with a continuation of milder than average temperatures from this weekend looking most likely against the backdrop of high pressure over Europe.
ski holidays
The way i look at it is this: its rather like a bank account. There is only so much cold, or hot, or snow to go round.
So, if all the hot is being used up now, with this mild weather, then by ski-time it will all have been used up, leaving only cold
And hopefully lots of snow snowHead

(apologies to nozawaonsen for totally unscientific concept, but it keeps me happy)
ski holidays
There is a risk that the Alps has used up its precipitation quota this year under your analysis. In which event an unusally dry winter could be on the cards. Confused
ski holidays
No real evidence to support the idea that a wet summer means a dry winter or a mild autumn means a cold winter. Doesn't stop people claiming it mind you.
ski holidays
Ah, Peter S, your're not playing this right.
Like tax and similar stuff, you can carry over stuff from previous years, or carry forward, whichever is most beneficial.
So Precipitation so far this year is clearly part of 2013-14.
The Precipitation Year starts end of October.

Let's not be having any of them nasty negative waves

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 27-09-14 9:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy