Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 14/15 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@Daleskier,
Not sure I included any politics except saying we should err on the green side. I agree this looks a good start. These consistent little top ups are just what the Doctor ordered.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Meantime in the real world some ski resorts are getting tired with so many prophecies of doom. Kitzbuhel made big local news last year when they published how it has been getting colder at the ski resort in the last 20 years:
http://tinyurl.com/o5jpvzx

And the snow record for either Eurasia or the Northern Hemisphere shows a cyclical oscillation but no declining trend:

http://climate.rutgers.edu/snowcover/svg/mapfile_monthlyanom.php?ui_month=10&ui_region=eurasia

Actually that chart above is October. The winter shows an increasing trend:

http://climate.rutgers.edu/snowcover/chart_seasonal.php?ui_set=eurasia&ui_season=1
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@cota4000, welcome to SHs.

Very interesting. And I like your colours snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Meteo Swiss gives alert 3 (orange) due to snowfall up to 1 m in the Alps. Meteoexploration shows really nice colours (purple, which is not very frequent). Watch for the Avalanches, that snow is not going to be stable for a while.

snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is a contentious issue and one where it is particularly difficult to seperate the signal from the noise.

But to my mind there's a pretty clear trend for temperatures in the Alps rising over the last 150 to 230 years (the figures in the link below are from HISTALP for Austria, but they are broadly the same across the Alps). Interestingly if you look at the bottom chart for the moutain region (Gipfelregionen) you can easily see the reduction in temperature from the 1990s that Kitzbuhel were trying to highlight. What they failed to show is the previous 140 years of data which would have made it clear that that it is still part of a longer term warming trend. Of course its hard to know whether the earlier warming is going to be reversed in the coming years (or whether the cooling is a pause before continued warming). But maybe it shows that one might want to be a little circumspect about how the data is being presented.

http://www.zamg.ac.at/histalp/download/newsletter/poster/Oesterreich-Klimareihen-Winter_1767-2014.pdf

There is a fair amount of research to suggest that since the middle of last century snowfall levels dropped particularly during the 80s/90s. We've enjoyed some good years in the last 10 years which has turned the trend somewhat, but when looking at snowfall levels the altitude is important and the clear rising temperatureis also likely to be matched by a reduction in snowfall at lower levels (and some evidence to suggest a shortening of the season). Conversely this could also be matched by an increase in snowfall at higher altitudes (which may also be showing up in some of the graphs) with greater precipitation falling (so heavier rainfall lower down and heavier snow higher up).

A couple of quotes from SLF research over the last few years:

"The results show a surprisingly uniform warming of 0.8°C during the last three decades at the six investigated mountain stations. The long-term snow measurements reveal no change in mid-winter, but decreasing trends (especially since the 1980s) for the solid precipitation ratio, snow fall, snow water equivalent and snow depth during the melt season due to a strong temperature increase of 2.5°C in the spring and summer months of the last three decades."

"All the stations, even the highest one, show a decrease in extreme snow depth, which is mainly significant at low altitudes (below 800 m). A negative trend is also observed for extreme snowfalls at low and high altitudes but the pattern at mid-altitudes (between 800 and 1,500 m) is less clear. The decreasing trend of extreme snow depth and snowfall at low altitudes seems to be mainly caused by a reduction in the magnitude of the extremes rather than the scale (variability) of the extremes. This may be caused by the observed decrease in the snow/rain ratio due to increasing air temperatures."

But as I say it's a tricky subject.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Back to the near term.

Here's an extract from this evening's SLF (looking at Switzerland obvioulsy).

http://www.slf.ch/lawinenbulletin/schneedecke_wetter/index_EN

"Weather forecast through Monday

In northern regions skies will be generally overcast. Above approximately 1700 m some snowfall is anticipated. In southern regions intensive snowfall is expected. The snowfall level will be at approximately 1800 m; in the upper alpine valleys at approximately 1500 m.

Fresh snow

Between Sunday evening and Monday evening, the following amounts of fresh fallen snow are expected above approximately 2000 m:

- Simplon region, central sector of southern flank of the Alps: 50 to 80 cm
- remaining Main Alpine Ridge from Great St. Bernard to the Bernina Pass, Val Poschiavo: 30 to 50 cm
- regions bordering to the north: 15 to 30 cm
- remaining regions: less; in the furthermost northeastern regions, next to no snowfall

Temperature

at midday at 2000 m, +2 °C in northern regions and +4 °C in southern regions

Wind

moderate strength southerly winds, at high altitudes blowing at strong velocity

Outlook through Wednesday

In southern regions persistent snowfall above approximately 1500 to 1800 m is expected on both days. In northern regions, skies on Tuesday will be bright due to foehn wind influence, on Wednesday predominantly overcast. The avalanche danger is expected to increase still further in southern regions, already on Tuesday possibly reaching danger level 4 (high) from place to place. In northern regions, the avalanche danger level is not expected to change significantly on either day."

And here's some GFS ensembles for areas likely to see the most snowfall in the next few days:

Zermatt

Les Deux Alpes

Sestriere

Folgaria

http://youtube.com/v/kXuZAXKnlyw
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Met Office contingency planners suggesting +NAO likely into December. That would mean an increased likelihood of the Atlantic sending low pressure systems into the Alps and in general a slightly wetter and warmer pattern for the start of winter. Conversely there are also some suggestions that this basic pattern could be upset by a weaker polar vortex which could allow much colder weather to push down over Europe.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/i/4/A3_plots-temp-NDJ_v2.pdf

Of course if the wet weather piling on from the west could meet the cold weather driving down from the north...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nozawaonsen wrote:

Of course if the wet weather piling on from the west could meet the cold weather driving down from the north...

No doubt some spammer can recommend a good introduction agency
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nozawaonsen wrote:

Touchwood/anti-jynx/etc !!!!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This evening's SLF. A lot more snow at altitude.

"In the south a high avalanche danger will be encountered in some regions

Fresh snow

Between Sunday evening and Monday evening above approximately 2200 m, the following amounts of fresh fallen snow were registered:

- Val Bedretto and valleys of Maggia: 50 to 80 cm
- Zermatt, Saastal, Simplon region, southern Goms, remaining central sector of southern flank of the Alps, Val Bregaglia: 30 to 50 cm
- regions bordering to the immediate north as well as remaining part of the Valais sector of Main Alpine Ridge: 15 to 30 cm, elsewhere less or no snow at all

Weather forecast through Tuesday, 11.11.2014

Fresh snow

Between Monday evening and Tuesday evening, the following amounts of new fallen snow are expected above approximately 2000 m:

- Zermatt, Saas Fee, Simplon region, southern Goms, central sector of southern flank of the Alps: 50 to 80 cm, in western Ticino as much as 100 cm and more
- remaining Main Alpine Ridge from Great St. Bernard to the Bernina Pass, Val Poschiavo: 30 to 50 cm
- regions bordering to the north: 15 to 30 cm, elsewhere dry

Wednesday

In southern regions heavy snowfall is anticipated with the focal point in the Valais sector of the Main Alpine Ridge and in western Ticino. The snowfall level will be at approximately 1800m."
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Already more than 50 cm measured at some stations in Ticino and Valais:

http://www.slf.ch/schneeinfo/messwerte/stationsdaten/index_EN
http://www.slf.ch/fragment/chart.html?station=SPN2&type=snow&lang=en
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Zermatt and Cervinia look like the're taking a pasting, from webcams, - Will it continue? Its very quiet out there from the meteorology kings snowHead

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 12-11-14 19:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What does this mean for les gets? Looking at snowforecast (I know, I know- but it is the easiest to understand even though it talks nonsense) it looks like a monsoon this week.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The snowfall has all but stopped here in Cervinia (2,100m) after a very heavy bout of snowfall over the past 72 hours. Some fair (ish)weather expected tomorrow and Friday before Saturday, where currently another good snowfall is expected.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mheadbee wrote:
What does this mean for les gets? Looking at snowforecast (I know, I know- but it is the easiest to understand even though it talks nonsense) it looks like a monsoon this week.

I guess, and Nosa is the expert, it means that Les Gets will be rainy and green until the rain/snow level falls down to something approaching 1000M. I know friends of our skied there the last week december whilst we were in Val Thorens and they had to be bussed up to Avoriaz.
ski holidays
Laughing Chose to head to Zermatt this season rather stick with St anton (as per the last 2) looks like the right choice has been made (crosses everything and hopes not jinxed now)
latest report
mbydmt, - a great choice. Be there myself in Feb. Best there is. However on a snow front, guaranteed to get the stuff. Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

What does this mean for les gets?

yes, it's quite warm, and very wet. But it's not even mid November. Whatever is on the ground now, at middle/lower levels, has very little to say about what will be happening when the resorts open shortly before Christmas. Don't panic.....
snow conditions
Like @pam w, says temperatures have been pretty warm recently.

Geneva has a +3.12C anomaly for the last 30 days.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/global_monitoring/temperature/tn06700_30.gif

Radstadt has +4.25C

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/global_monitoring/temperature/tn11147_30.gif

So although there is heavy snow falling at altitude in some parts of the Alps overall autumn has been mild. Aberdeen is currently +2.11C.

That of course means very little for the main season or even early season in the Alps.

As it happnes this evening's 18z GFS headed noticeably cooler in the last 10 days of November. Of course that's in FI, but it has been cropping up in several runs over the last two days so maybe something that will start to firm up in the next few days?
snow conditions
This evening's SLF has the following figures

"Between Sunday evening and Wednesday evening, the following amounts of fresh fallen snow were registered above approximately 2400 m:

- Val Bedretto and valleys of Maggia: 120 to 180 cm, from place to place more than 200 cm
- Simplon region, southern Goms, remaining sectors of southern flank of the Alps: 80 to 120 cm
- remaining regions along the Main Alpine Ridge from Zermatt to the Bernina Pass: 30 to 60 cm
- regions bordering immediately to the north as well as the remaining regions of the Valais part of the Main Alpine Ridge: 15 to 30 cm; in the furthermost western regions, just a few centimeters; elsewhere, dry"

Looking forward to next Saturday.

"On Saturday skies in northern regions will be variably cloudy as a result of foehn wind influence; in southern regions there will be snowfall above approximately 1800 m which could be intensive from region to region."
latest report
Did any of the recent southern snow land on the pyrenees?
snow conditions
Not as far as I am aware or at least not in the quantities that have fallen in parts of the Alps. Much of the recent snowfall has been at the western end and southern side of the Alps.
snow report
A little bit on the Pyrenees, but 10-15 cm at most.

You can check the Nivoses from météo France: http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/

Or the Spanish hydrological information system, this is for a hut on the northern slopes of Aneto, Pyrenees highest peak: http://www.saihebro.com/saihebro/index.php?url=/datos/graficas/tag:N007Z02NIEVE , which shows most of the snow fall 10 days ago:

Or you can check the hindcast from meteoexploration, although these are modelled data:
http://www.meteoexploration.com/forecasts/Aneto/?lang=en&module=hindcast

latest report
thanks alot @cota4000,
latest report
Quote:

pam w
super-snowHead

Quote:

What does this mean for les gets?

yes, it's quite warm, and very wet. But it's not even mid November. Whatever is on the ground now, at middle/lower levels, has very little to say about what will be happening when the resorts open shortly before Christmas. Don't panic...

Don't worry, no panicking going on over here. I have been in this game long enough to know the only time you should panic is when you have a week to go, the pistes are green grass and the forecast is showing warm weather. I tend to look at snowforecast as it it easy to read and follow, however it does tend to exaggerate things. When it says loads of rain in reality it could be snow as it is not taking the temp or other factors into account hence the question.
I am not going for another 12 weeks and this will be my 8th consecutive year to PdS and it has only (slightly) let me down once.
snow conditions
It's happened. I'm now checking this thread every day.

Must be nearly time to go skiing snowHead
snow report
Quote:

When it says loads of rain in reality it could be snow as it is not taking the temp or other factors into account hence the question.

Puzzled I don't think that's the case. But they're just using algorithms to convert what GFS says, as far as I know. So it does take altitude, temperature etc into account but apart from the fact that it only reflects one of the weather models it also (more importantly I think) fails to reflect the certainty/uncertainty of the GFS. You can look at GFS and see whether the different runs are so all over the place that it's not really worth thinking about. The better forecasts (chamonix-meteo.com is probably quite useful for Les Gets) do indicate a level of reliability as well as interposing a human brain between what the models produce and what the weather forecast says.

I might be wrong about all or some of that - but it's what I've gathered, over the years.
latest report
Quote:

pam w
super-snowHead

Quote:

When it says loads of rain in reality it could be snow as it is not taking the temp or other factors into account hence the question.

Puzzled I don't think that's the case. But they're just using algorithms to convert what GFS says, as far as I know. So it does take altitude, temperature etc into account but apart from the fact that it only reflects one of the weather models it also (more importantly I think) fails to reflect the certainty/uncertainty of the GFS. You can look at GFS and see whether the different runs are so all over the place that it's not really worth thinking about. The better forecasts (chamonix-meteo.com is probably quite useful for Les Gets) do indicate a level of reliability as well as interposing a human brain between what the models produce and what the weather forecast says.

I might be wrong about all or some of that - but it's what I've gathered, over the years.

So we agree it is unreliable on its own then?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's generally pretty reliable in the short term and over many years now I have found their forecast of the amounts of snow as accurate as those of Meteo France (not the toughest competition, admittedly). Their forecast of temperature is usually pretty good - provided you don't look too many days ahead. I find that, combined with looking at GFS and reading this thread, I have a pretty good feel for what's going on. Though this far ahead (I'm not going out till 19 Dec) I certainly won't be looking every day.
snow report
Looks like a reasonable amount of snow falling over much of the Alps this weekend. The Swiss Italian border continues to look favoured, but lighter snow showers should spread further east into Austria with the snowline dropping to around 1300m at times.

Temperatures in general are still remaining relatively mild for the time of year. So despite some heavy snow higher up we are still waiting for temperatures to fall sufficiently for low level snow to fall and stay. Mind you we're not yet half way through November. End of next week, next weekend currently looks quite mild after that uncertainty.
snow report
Early December opening is looking a bit optimistic below glacier level at the mo.
latest report
Peter S wrote:
Early December opening is looking a bit optimistic below glacier level at the mo.

Not really.
snow report
Peter S wrote:

What on earth makes you think that ??
snow conditions
A lot can happen in 3 weeks and usually does. A few resorts seem to be getting a nice base built up at altitude. We don't have a blocking high - famous last words!! Many years there has been virtually nothing at all yet. My impression is for the Southern and Western Alps that we are better off than the average at this point; with the snowline slowly making it's way down the slopes. Some of the high Austrian resorts are also doing pretty well.
Holidays now booked in Switzerland, Austria and Italy. A vote of confidence in the weather gods.
snow report
@Peter S, I am sure you are right, after all Verbier opened last weekend, 2 weeks early, because there was no snow.....Oh...wait that's not the reason!
snow conditions
http://chamonix-meteo.com/chamonix-mont-blanc/weather/forecast/morning/5_days_weather_forecast.php

Chamonix Meteo, are currently beta testing live rainfall radar on their site.
ski holidays
HoneyBunny wrote:
It's happened. I'm now checking this thread every day.

Must be nearly time to go skiing snowHead

only once a day . do keep up Laughing
latest report
Some very fickle FI output at present with the period after next weekend switching from very mild to very cold from run to run and the operational and control very wide apart. 18zGFS op run has just produced a very cold run. We'll see tomorrow if it can generate any support.
latest report
No snow forecast for Zermatt village. Webcams show 10cm plus outside the church! Very Happy
snow conditions
Tarantaise should look pretty when the sun comes up Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy