Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing at Christmas - any recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Jenniper, I'd be careful if you're booking late because accommodation might be tricky. My family books Christmas in Lech, Austria in August - one year we left it until September and ended up in two different places. But then, there's 20 of us so might no be an issue if you've a small family or it's just the two of you. With the exception of last year (and it was bad everywhere) - Lech/the Arlberg is generally always a good bet for snow.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just the two of us, there may be another couple joining us too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Flights are likely to be expensive, that being said we had to get one member of our party home by plane the Xmas before last and the flight only cost £60 from Chambery airport to Leeds! It was the Sat after Xmas and booked only 24 hours before!

One of our party last year needed to get home the Sat before Xmas and booked trains from Bourg to Paris (Sleeper train) than train from Paris to London and whilst I never knew the exact price I do remember everyone being rather surprised at its relatively low cost. He booked it very last minute!

When we used to take the caravan we always made very last minute decisions and it was wonderful to be able to go where the best snow was!

It will be a gamble for you!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Samerberg Sue wrote:
under a new name, only over towards the western end of the Alps....... wee corner of France that many believe that the Alps end there! wink If it is bad there then it must be much worse elsewhere Laughing Laughing Laughing

sssshhhh Wink what they don't know won't hurt them but may hurt us if they do know!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Valkyrie wrote:
..... The two Obers are high, smallish but very convenient. The Zillertal has a vast ski area but you need to drive/bus/train to get the most out of it. This year we're going to Serfaus for Christmas and Zell am Ziller for New Year. There is a glacier at the top of the Zillertal but I've never bothered going up to it. Kaprun has a glacier that has some decent skiing on it, Solden has a glacier that's extremely dull.

How are you doing Serfaus out of interest? I've been fancying it but looks to be an expensive DIY job?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you do want to do Austria late then you could try the local tourist board sites, they have accommodation which just never appears on tour companies. There are many flight options to Munich and Salzburg (regular as well as charter).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jenniper, Last minute Christmas flights will cost you a fortune - book flights now, to a major hub (assuming you are doing DIY).

You might find only a very limited choice of accommodation. It's not the best time for last minute bookings, but you'll find something if you are flexible.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
book flights in advance (if its possible) and let accommodation as last minute.
In Austria the things with accommodation are more flexible comparing to France or Switz.
This year we will go also somewhere in Austria from 23 to 1 Jan..meaning Tuesday to Thursday. In France e.g. that is impossible. But in Austria you could find something.
But if you want something in Lech or St. Anton that might be impossible. And also without auto that might also be difficult.
e.g. last year we stayed in Landeck in an appartment. Its not near the slopes but major ski resorts are in 30 min distance (serfaus, st. anton, kappl etc)
Furthermore places like Serfaus might be TOO difficult. In Zillertal e.g. the area is huge and there are many choices. But you need to take bus or car for skiing.

PS i am talking with something not so expensive. If you dont have problem paying a lot then there area more choices.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been skiing the week before Christmas for about the last 8 years. I've been to Courchevel 1850, Val d'Isere, Meribel and La Plagne and have had excellent snow every time. In fact on two occasions it was the most snow I saw all season.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well Christmas week in our apartment always gets booked out around the same time half term does. You might be taking a bit of a risk.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

You might be taking a bit of a risk.

I searched hard for reasonable accommodation in Les Saisies last Christmas, for family members who wanted a last minute trip - and failed to find any.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It appears that Christmas is selling well this year - much more than usual- so it may be tricky getting good accomodation cheeply. As to flying, there are lots of other options ranging from going on different days, such as Sunday or Monday, to using the train or driving.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think booking last minute is fine if you're planning on flying from a major airport with lots of flight options. Flying from Scotland the options are very limited so we normally book well ahead - even to fly from Manchester.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jenniper, Booking last minute for Xmas? Worth the gamble?
Well, i'm far too wimpy to cope with the anxiety and always book well in advance.
But, back in 2008 we went with Mark Warner to La Plagne for Xmas - booked as usual well in advance and paid the going rate.
There we met a lovely family of four - mum, dad, 2 teenage kids - who had booked just the day before!
And of course had paid way less than we did.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy