Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Congratulations to SARAH on passing her BASI L1

Poster: A snowHead
sarah, Congrats from me to Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scarpa, thank you Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sarah wrote:
kitenski, yes but first I must say a huge thank you to you for the patiently and usefully answered barrage of PMs you had to deal with Laughing Embarassed

It was a pleasure, and very pleased for you.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well done sarah, are you wanting to teach or was this more for self-improvement?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski, thanks, you really have been generous with your support, I have just re-read all the panicked PMs Embarassed Laughing

Ray Zorro, thank you very much Smile Well I started off wanting to do it for self-improvement but actually now I do want to teach Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski wrote:
When you sober up can you share what you learnt, changed etc??

OK, starting to feel a bit normal again and can have a go at answering this....

What I learnt:

That I do not perform under pressure!

That it does not help me to compare myself to others.

That I have a constant battle with my inner chimp (as in the book, The Chimp Paradox) and I have to keep giving myself a good talking to.

That I need to stop overthinking and start skiing.

That I need to constantly apply Rule 5.

That changing my boots the week before the course was not a good move rolling eyes

That I still feel like the crap skier I was at the start of the week

That the trainer was there to help me to pass.

That I absolutely love synchro skiing, could have done it all day, and was surprisingly not too bad at it at all. Was one of the most fun things of the week Cool

That I love working with a buddy.

What I had to change:

where would you like me to start? Embarassed Laughing

I could summarise it as I had to apply rule 5, ski faster, ski harder, move more and commit more.

The main thing I had to learn was patience to stop rushing my turns. I have a deeply ingrained fault which has been there forever and comes back to haunt me at every turn and causes me big problems. Every time I turn my 'natural' urge is to rotate more than I pressure or edge, even worse I sometimes displace and rotate too. I know it. I know when I've done it. I know when I've managed not to. So I have to really work hard to keep it under control. I am definitely in practice phase with it but really need this to be sorted and boxed off so I can think about other things of which there are many!

To sum up.....

I had a great time. It was tough for me. The fact that there were very strong skiers in the group shook my already fragile confidence. I met some great people and learned a lot from them. We got a good team going and looked out for each other. I experienced massive highs and massive lows; just when I managed to nail something then I found that something else was really not cutting it. I knew a lot about my own skiing performance before I'd gone on the course so much of the feedback I received I wasn't hearing for the first time but I am a bit of an old dog and new tricks do not seem to come quickly to me. Still I'm pleased with the progress I've made as I would say that although I'd skied for many years, I think I didn't start 'really skiing' until just two seasons ago.

I'd like to give credit for my achievement to the fabulous BASS Chatel team, especially Peter Kuwall and Matt Rivers, who I have been skiing with for the past two seasons and who have worked so hard with me to get me this far, and also to my trainer, Andy Jerram, who had me worked out from day one, gave me lots of help and managed to get me to somehow pull it all together enough Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well done!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
altis, thank you Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sarah, well done! About time too Smile Give kitenski, a run for his money and keep on improving. I'll have to ski with you again soon and try and ski as stylishly as you do. Great news.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
little ms spock, thank you very much but I think you could be confusing me with someone else, I don't think we've met Puzzled Not sure about giving anyone a run for their money either, I have loads of work to do Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sarah, congratulations Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sarah, What is synchro skiing please? I've not heard the term before. Is it where you ski synchronised with someone else?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum wrote:
Is it where you ski synchronised with someone else?
Yes. Two ways in skiing with someone else: you can follow their track, or you can follow their timing (i.e., when they turn left you turn left at the same time). Tricky to do well as you need to be constantly varying your timing and your movements to seamlessly blend with your partner. Usually huge fun, although I had a big wipeout one time with 8 other skiers when trying to do a complicated synchro pattern during an exam week Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lynseyf, thank you Smile

Megamum, what rob@rar said. Matching the movements of the lead skier rather than following their tracks, almost like mirroring them, if you can see what I mean by that.

It was HUGE fun snowHead

We did pairs, then the two strongest pairs gained one skier each from the next strongest pair to form a three, then again to form a four, then again to form a five. We had to work out the best strategies to get it to work. For us this involved a strong skier(but not a great 'matcher') in the lead, the best matchers at no. 3 and no. 5 in the line, with the two weaker matchers sandwiched in at 2 and 4. In the end we had the two teams of five skiing together as a team of 10. Look up the basi interski demo team vids on you tube to see how it's really done! Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
and a fun variation in "variable" snow is to try and lose the person following you by changing your turn shape, speed, etc without just going "balls out" - actually that maybe a good one for you to do on holidays Sarah with the stronger skiers in your group?
snow conditions
sarah, Possibly fun, but to me it sounds like a road crash waiting to happen Laughing I take it you weren't doing 10 at a time in the confines of a snowdome? Laughing
ski holidays
kitenski, will keep that one in mind thanks!

Megamum, yep 10 at a time, two lines of 5 one behind the other with each line separated by I don't know maybe 2-3 m max, basically two lines of 5 within about half slope width or so Toofy Grin
ski holidays
sarah, Shocked sounds like a good job that no-one caught an edge!! I hope someone was videoing it def. £250 material if it had gone wrong!!! Laughing Kudos for those that pulled it off though!
snow report
you can see an example 1 min into this vid Megamum,

http://youtube.com/v/J1H_RAw2T20
snow report
Megamum, Laughing we all pulled it off! There were a few mismatches but in the whole it was not a bad effort for the first time and for the time spent on it, there were a few positive comments from members of the public who were skiing at the time Very Happy Sadly it wasn't being video'd.
ski holidays
kitenski, Ah, I see, looks good from an observation standpoint Very Happy Thank you! Very Happy
latest report
Megamum, and Interski demos

http://youtube.com/v/wCQbzUIf4bA
snow report
Quick update......almost halfway through my shadowing and loving it snowHead Big thanks to all the CFe guys who are so supportive snowHead
snow report
sarah wrote:
Quick update......almost halfway through my shadowing and loving it snowHead Big thanks to all the CFe guys who are so supportive snowHead

If you see me ta CFe next week say hi snowHead
latest report
speed098, I keep looking for you snowHead
snow report
I was there for 4 hrs today 10-3pm with an hour break for lunch ( well better saying for that than for being knackered wink )

Should be there 3-4days next week normally late morning to mid/late afternoon.
snow conditions
speed098, I was there all day today but was on the nursery slope until about 4.15. There was a course today were you on that?
ski holidays
No, I did see the course (guy taking it in a pale blue jacket).

I will keep an eye out for you next week if you are there Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sarah, How's it going, what type of groups/clients/levels you been teaching? What's been the most challenging/enjoyable aspect of shadowing so far?
ski holidays
franzClammer, going very well thanks Smile a mixed bag really, lots of adult beginners on day lessons, tiny kids groups 3-4 yr olds, slightly less tiny kids groups 5-6 year olds, older kids groups 8-12s, school groups 'fun tasters' I've had various age ranges from 8/9 year olds to senior school 12-15 year olds. Mostly beginner to plough turns though one of the older kids groups was an improver group of plough parallel. Most enjoyable aspect....all of it snowHead I love meeting the clients and chatting to them, helping them usually with kit or just giving gentle reminders of key points the instructor made or answering questions, but mostly just a bit of chit chat and helping to keep things fun and relaxed Smile I really love the kids too and think I've got a lot to offer there as it's not so long again that my own was at that stage and I can remember it well Laughing and also very enjoyable is working with the experienced instructors there, they're a very friendly, supportive bunch and there's a good atmosphere, they do a lot of team teaching which I really enjoy and think it works really well. Most challenging thing so far, a few weeks ago we had a chap within a beginner day lesson group who naturally stood with his toes turned out quite markedly, he could hardly put his skis parallel to side step or straight run and he physically could not make a plough shape, he was very frustrated Sad

How about you? How's it going for you? snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

a few weeks ago we had a chap within a beginner day lesson group who naturally stood with his toes turned out quite markedly, he could hardly put his skis parallel to side step or straight run and he physically could not make a plough shape, he was very frustrated

Did you mention that SnowBoarding may be a better option for him? probably a better bet for him and he can enjoy his riding rather than being frustrated... snowHead
snow conditions
skimottaret, thank you, yes he had already done some boarding IIRC, I think he was going to go back to it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy