Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ankle Flex - drills

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've been instructing an early intermediate recently who has almost no ankle flex. I've tried a couple of things which seem to be working slowly; wonder what drills others might suggest.

Thanks

A
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
abd, does he have any ankle flex if just sitting on a bench in his socks? Or is it that he doesn't use his ankle flex when skiing?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good point pam w, but there are no physiological or equipment issues.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
abd, the exercises I've been given to try to improve ankle flex mostly involve hopping, two skis together, trying to land softly, doing a gentle traverse. To get complicated, raise front of skis and back of skis alternately. Knackering.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Before a run, ask him to show you how much he will flex his ankles and check the range of movement is what you want. After the run, if it's not enough, ask him if he used as much as he'd shown you at the top. If he says 'Yes' then then you need to correct his perceptions of how much he's using while skiing. If he says 'No' then he'll probably either start telling you why because he'll have figued out what's stopping him (perhaps balance, fear of falling forwards, etc) or ask for another run so that he can increase the amount.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
One that I do as a warm up (and find hard, so might not be suitable for an early intermediate) and is referred to colloquially at our club as "squirters". Basically break forward at the waist and try to keep the upper body still while pushing your skis forward and back underneath you using your whole leg. Do this while skiing either in a straight glide or once you've managed that in some wide gentle turns. It's impossible to do without ankle flex. It's basically simulating get yourself back into a central balanced position after you're thrown fore or aft.

I also think there's a strong element of "feel" involved, and I think that's what simon_bates is getting at above. When flexing their ankle the skier should be able to feel things happening in their boot - perhaps getting them to practice it stationary, feeling it, and then trying to replicate the feeling while skiing would help.

pam w's suggestion makes sense to me too - it's hard to jump and land gently without flexing at the ankle.

I'm guessing this is already something you're thinking about given your other "why" question, but I'd also think about what the outcome you want is. Is it about skiing with a better posture, or more dynamic skiing through movements during the turns, or something else. Some people will learn better when dealing with the outcomes rather than the inputs like ankle flex.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Braquage/pivot slip drills are excellent to promote both ankle flex & steering.

Oversize boots are a big inhibitor of correct ankle flex.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
abd, is the person in rental boots or their own; can they, as simon_bates says actually move them, and then follow what Simon says above; I have used the exact same method and got good results. As spyderjon asks; are the boots the right size?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy