Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Returning addict

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have been on this forum for a few months now and thought it was about time I added a little bit of info.

So I started skiing back around 1981/82 and was hooked from that very first time the bindings went "click" ( well was watching people wizzing down the dry slope at the time ).
For the next year or so skiing was to remain a hobby, but when I started college it became part of my life, if I was not studying, running or playing badminton I was on one of the two local dry slopes. I even ended up quite a few times walking over 8 miles home with my ski's and boots ( must have looked great on Friday nights).

After college I worked in Leisure but later also part time at one of the local dry slopes, this allowed me to ski on a regular basis all year round.
I did a few courses during this time, and spent numerous weekends in Scotland but all this stopped around 1996/97 partly due to family commitments. I did put the planks back on sometime around 199/2k for a couple of hours helping a relative get ready for a holiday, but after that it was March 2014 before I geared up again.

So in March I did one hour at the local dry slope, that was different to say the least I felt that nothing worked skidding forcing/muscling the ski's round but after the first 2-3 runs, though still really bad at least the muscles did seem to remember what this lark was all about, all be it under extreme duress. A very small part of this was also down to the fact I was using carvers for the very first time, an even bigger part due to lack of any discernible fitness.

So this brings me finally round to why I started back fitness ! I am determined to loose weight and gain back some level of fitness. I started walking last year but found this harder work especially if my knee was playing up. The logic to skiing was that if my knee played up I was not stuck out in the middle of nowhere. The skiing started in earnest at the end of April with buying a weekly pass for the local fridge.

On the Saturday my first time ever in a fridge I met another Snowhead megamum and family and did the best part of two hours skiing fitness was not as bad as I feared but equally not as much time skiing in the fridge as on a dryslope. I booked a further two hours each for Monday and Wednesday ( met another Snowhead ).
I did a little bit of poor low res video on the Wednesday but booked a further two hour session on the Friday ( followed by roughly an hour more extension). I did some more video of that session and I am looking at booking further sessions both in the fridge and on the dryslope every month from now on. Hopefully over the next year I will start to get somewhere near the level I used to be at but equally to be honest being back on ski's is enough.
I am starting to realise just how much this used to be a part of my life and equally just how much I have forgot not just in the way I ski but also in knowledge which is slowly coming back.
( who knows by next year when someone mentions pizza I may not think first of Domino's ).

So I have been on here a while have posted probably way too many posts hopefully some within that lot might actually make some sense to someone. I have commented on other members video's they have kindly posted for us all to watch so it is about time they get to critique my attempts at getting back into this slidding lark. The Video is low res due to limit I have with Vimeo hopefully I will upgrade the account.
Hopefully as the the year unfolds my skiing will improve.

If I could give anyone any information of value in one sentence it would have to be.

Never stop skiing you will regret all the years lost.

https://vimeo.com/96761042
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm...orange jacket and yellow trousers?? Shocked
You're not that good yet wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep I need new gear but at least they just about fit for now wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You've got a great base to work on there. My t'pence worth- you should focus on getting grip earlier in the turn on the shorts. A slight A- frame creeps in sometimes, helped by pushing the inside knee into the centre as early in the turn as possible.

If I were you I'd take a few hours of lessons to get the most out of the carving ski shape. The biggest difference from when you learned (and I learned) I'd say is the early pressuring of the inside edge of the outside ski, very early in the new turn. You'll pick it up really quickly, but easier to get someone to help you. If you're near London the Inside Out guys will sort you out no probs.

No doubt more qualified people than me will be along here soon.

Welcome back! Enjoy the journey. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi evski, Thanks for the comments, yes I have a lot to work on but after such a long time away and health issues I am happy with the progression so far from the session on the dryslope in March through the 4 sessions in a week at the fridge. I will improve the pressure on the inside edge a lot more as I get more hours under me and then will start well above the fall line, but for now I am happy to be on skis again and moving at a steady pace back to where I was all those years ago I have not even attempted to really put pressure on the inside edge and carve the turns yet.
I don't know if megamum noticed but that day in the fridge I pretty much skidded every turn and steered most of them as well.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

steered most of them as well.

nothing wrong with steered turns.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
speed098, great, keep posting the vids, it'll be interesting to watch you improve. Good luck!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy