Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif for Christmas 2014? Thoughts Please

Poster: A snowHead
Many thanks for spotting this sj1608, Very Happy we are in the process of updating our data
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sj1608, that second link works fine
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well we have taken the plunge and booked today for Christmas week in Les Carroz. Got a very nice two bed apartment and now thoroughly excited and looking forward to our return to the GM!!! Happy Days Very Happy Very Happy

Many thanks to everyone who came up with ideas and help on the thread, cheers guys
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well done. Very Happy I will probably more than likely actually bump into you on the slopes Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Colinski, Lets hope not literally Shocked
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good choice Very Happy, and from Les Carroz you are only 5-8 mins drive to the new Molliets chair lift or 15-20 mins to Flaine should the need arise.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Colinski, Lets hope not literally

You not seen me ski or more the point my 12 & 10 yr old boys Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jirac18, out of interest, where did you decide to stay?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jirac18 wrote:
carroz,
Also I've noticed that the prices in Samoens for equivalent accommodation seems quite a bit cheaper than Les Carroz. I'm guessing that LC is considered to be a better location for access to slopes and that's why.

snowymum, Chalet de Jouvances looks lovely have a good trip

Thanks for your good wishes jirac18. Great news that you have booked Les Carroz for Christmas. Will look forward to hearing about your trip as we will be going later in the season.

To take up your point over Samoens, I had also noticed that accommodation is cheaper there than Les Carroz in the winter. The reasons we chose Les Carroz over Samoens for winter were:

1. Les Carroz village is at higher altitude so more chance of waking up and seeing snowflakes falling snowHead
2. Some ski to the door accommodation in Les Carroz whereas in Samoens there would be a walk or journey to the lift. Maybe there would be a chance of queues at the lift in Samoens in a peak week like Christmas.
3. In snowy weather the treelined slopes above Les Carroz are very pretty and if you were staying in Flaine or Samoens it would be harder to access them if higher lifts were shut.
4. We are hoping some friends whose kids are beginners will join us and whereas there is the beginners area at Samoens 1600 in my opinion it would not be that easy for them to move on to slopes in Morillon/Les Carroz if they were based in Samoens. When we were last in the Grand Massif in April despite there being plenty of snow, there was very little open above Samoens 1600 and the Lanche chairlift was shut so I think this has clouded our judgement of it..hopefully more will be open when we next go.

Obviously the risk of Les Carroz is that the ski area starts at lower altitude and I don't think the slopes are north facing. However as xpeak says you can drive towards Flaine easily from Les Carroz if conditions are not ideal at the foot of the slopes.

We do love Samoens as a village though and went there last summer and are going back this year. I also really like staying in La Reine des Pres in Samoens.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sj1608 wrote:
jirac18, out of interest, where did you decide to stay?

We have booked a two bedroom apartment in Les Alpages Pre du Bois which is an MGM chalet.

We decided on LC in the end over something cheaper in Samoens really for all the reasons Snowyowl lists above. We stayed in Morillon last time at the GM but I think this will be better.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Does anyone have any particular recommendations as to which ski hire shop to use in Les Carroz or perhaps more importantly any to definitely avoid please?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
new loc in the square always seem to have rather new kit, same row of shops as the mgm office

they chopped and changed a mates skis loads of times last january without complaining , and the skis he and his wife got always seemed brand new.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
carroz, thanks for that will have a look. I just realised having read back in the thread that snowymum, has already made some recommendations for ski hire too Embarassed

Our holiday dates have also changed a bit now and we have the chance if I can get the budget to stretch to book for the new year week too. I am now researching cheap end studios and 1 bed apartments which obviously won't provide the comfort of our Christmas accommodation but will give us another week on the slopes. We have never tried a skiing holiday for two weeks and given that we cannot go any other time during the season for a second week like we did last year I think it might work out well.

So if anyone has some ideas of cheap end accommodation around the GM please let me know and I will be searching the wide web this weekend.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sj1608 wrote:
If you're shopping in the valley, it's worth noting that there are two Carrefours. The big one is in Cluses, and a smaller (but still decent-sized) Carrefour Market is in Scorzonier, just off the autoroute. If we're only going for food, we find the smaller one much faster to shop in, without all the distractions of everything in the huge one. Prices seem to be pretty much the same in both, but in early April the Market had a wine event and its prices were significantly lower than the big one.

+ 1 , but try spelt Scionzier - with a handy McD's as well!

Also if you have looked at Flaine Montsoleil before, the ski-in is now changing with an added short button lift to circumvent the difficulties with buses and the need to go up Grands Vans to make it back in. There is also a new Pierre et Vacances block opening there this December and a restaurant from what I understand.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oops on the spelling of Scionzier, must have been away too long....... Embarassed

Great news on that extra button lift, as I suspect it may also help reaching the higher Flaine Foret car park where the 'ski out' is OK, but the 'ski in' is via a bus.
snow report
Is it wrong to be all of a sudden getting very excited Very Happy for the first time ever I am actually actively looking for those Xmas products arriving in the shops Very Happy
latest report
The missus and the two boys have completed their first two lessons, can now use button lift, turn, snowplough and stop!!! Not bad for two hours (first half hour showing you how to do up a boot and get in the bindings) bring on the snow!!! snowHead
latest report
Hi all, has anyone booked ski hire through alpineresorts.com before. Can book an early discount with them with pascal sports in morillon and would like a little feedback from anyone who has used either please.
snow report
Colinski, I booked skis through alpinresorts at Pascal last season. I wasn't happy with the skis me and my eldest daughter were given after the first day so went back and they changed them without any quibbling at all. I specifically requested Head Rev75 skis but he didnt have them in stock so he went away and got some from another shop for me. I'd go back to Pascal for sure but make sure I leave the shop with what I want rather than what i'm given. They were pleasant and polite to deal.
snow report
Thanks for that, always makes you wonder when you can get them for half the money other agents are charging. My cautious mind working overtime as usual
snow report
Colinski, I've used alpinresorts for skis three times now, twice in France and once in Austria and whilst I hear the arguments that they undercut and damage the business of small rental shops I will continue to use them. I have never been less than satisfied with kit and service I get and the saving is huge which for me can all add up to skiing or not skiing. Ultimately the retailers don't have to sign up to deals with alpinresorts and business is business supply and demand and all that.
ski holidays
jirac18 wrote:
Colinski, I've used alpinresorts for skis three times now, twice in France and once in Austria and whilst I hear the arguments that they undercut and damage the business of small rental shops I will continue to use them. I have never been less than satisfied with kit and service I get and the saving is huge which for me can all add up to skiing or not skiing. Ultimately the retailers don't have to sign up to deals with alpinresorts and business is business supply and demand and all that.

Agree with your comments and competition is a good thing in this world, imagine just how much we would be paying for things if there was none!!! Our chalet is right in the centre and only 200m from lifts so I don't need to be loved by them at the end of the day either, am happy to pick them up the afternoon before we ski and give them back at the end of the week.
I shall now extract the wallet from my pocket and place my order Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy