Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Queenstown 2014

Poster: A snowHead
With the first lifts due to open in less than a month its time to start this years thread. We have a bit of snow on the mountains with more forecast tomorrow afternoon and possibly a few days of snowfall next weekend so things are looking OK so far. A few developments over the summer on the various mountains to add to the interest.

Coronet Peak, double the terrain covered by lights for the Friday and Saturday evenings night skiing.

The Remarakables, Lots of money being spent. A new six seat chair lift from the car park up to Curvey Basin opening up more terrain and associated earthworks to create new runs, reshaped beginners area, reshaped car parks, realigned the last few corners of the road to the car parks, 50 new snow guns and an increase in the water supply for snow making, finally started sealing the access road with about 1/3 done for this winter and the rest to be done in the near future.

Cardrona, New intermediate terrain park.

Treble Cone, To make it easier for intermediate skiers and snowboarders returning to the Home Basin from the Saddle Basin earthworks to extend the High Street trail, the new High Street Extension will provide a new alignment and a longer, wider, gentler gradient, two new Kassbohrer PistenBully 400 winch groomers.

With these improvements it is all looking good for the 2014 season in the Queenstown area. I hope to keep you all up on the conditions as the winter developes.
Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I may have to do a trip back to my homeland someday.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers Sarge McSarge. Are Kiwi lift tickets very expensive? Or is that just applicable to Oz?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am not he but it looks about $95NZD for a 1 day pass at remarks and coronet, so about £48. Expensive but not quite as bad as Oz I guess. I don't think they have the park entry thing.

(comparison: $113AUD for a 1 day at Mt Buller, £62, plus the unavoidable park entry fee of $12-18 depending on your mode of transport, I guess about £70 all up?)

There are probably ways to reduce the cost of both of these...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No park or road charges in NZ so the lift ticket is what you pay. If you are coming form OZ there are very good packages that include flights, accommodation, lift tickets etc. Makes skiing in Queenstown considerably cheaper than OZ especially from the big cities.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looking like some snow on the way for you sarge....

Fekin cold today and getting colder. But no snow in canty, and not looking like the best start to the season up this way.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It has been snowing on the mountains since early this morning and we must have had about 20cm so far with maybe the same again before it clears. Coronet Peaks has been making snow for the last 24 hours so things are looking good. The snow line is down to about 500m and due to lower to nearly sea level in the next few hours. With opening of the first lifts due in less than two weeks the snow has arrived just in time. Very Happy If we get the forecast snow in town tonight it will be havoc on the roads as the muppets head to work in the morning. Luckily I don't have to go through town until 10am so should miss the worst. I will take the camera just in case.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
With 50cn of new snow at the Remarkables and 40cm at Coronet Peak the season start on the 7th June looks good. There has also been about four days of non stop snow making at Coronet to add to the natural fall. It is warming up today but cooler again from tomorrow afternoon so a little more snow forecast as well as snow making temperatures, Only a small degree of chaos on the roads so no photos for your entertainment.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A mate has been posting photos skinning up in one of the ski areas.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Coronet Peak opened yesterday, the first lifts in New Zealand and Australia for the 2014 season. I did not make it up yesterday but and a couple of hours this morning (Sunday 8th) Very limited at present with only the Peak chair and the Meadows beginner chair open but still good to be back on the snow.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looks like a metre + on the way over the next three days in Canterbury Very Happy A week late but should get things open for next weekend.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hang11, Hope you get a good fall. We got a few cm's yesterday afternoon to freshen the surface but nothing like the ammount forecast for Canterbury. Nothing much expected here and temperatures just a bit too warm for snow making but it is still early days.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cleared my diary for Thursday and Friday Very Happy Hoping they get open. If not I'm in Queenstown working next week, so should be able to sneak off for a few hours.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hang11, Having just seen your photos of Mt Hutt I would not bother bringing your gear down here unless we have a reasonable snow fall before your visit Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've been in Queenstown for a couple of weeks now and was just wondering if any Snowheads might know of any jobs going here? I'm preferably looking for evening work or flexible shifts so that I can get up on the hill as much as possible.

Thanks!
snow report
Can't help with the job, but I've been here 3 weeks with 3 mates and myself and 2 others have got jobs, the last is finding it very difficult to find a job with everywhere saying "oh come back in a couple of weeks"

Skiing is awful at the moment, I've been up coronet 5 times so far and theres only really 2 runs open which are both blues. Good for getting my legs back but they got boring after the first day. I've only been going up as it's the cheapest thing to do for a day as I've bought a car and season pass already.

Does look like a little bit of snow forecast but we really need a massive dumping and the temperature to drop off a bit. I can't see the Remarkables opening on Saturday...
snow conditions
There's no work in June, should pick up in July once the tourists start arriving
snow report
A few more runs are now open a Coronet due to cooler nights and lots of snow making. Cardrona has also opened but with very limited terrain. We really do need a decent snow fall to get things going. Quite a lot more people in town so jobs should be opening up.
latest report
Winter may have finally arrived with colder weather, a little snow yesterday and snow showers forecast off and on for the next four of five days. Treble Cone and The Remarkables are both close to opening and only needing a little new snow. Cardrona is looking good with enough snow to have fun and all lifts except the Valley View chair open. Coronet Peak has all lifts open but you still have to stay on the main trails. A bit of new snow will make a huge difference to all the mountains so fingers crossed.
ski holidays
After a few light snow showers through the week and lots of snow making there has been a reasonable improvement in the quality of the skiing. All of the local mountains are now open so the school holiday crowds (Australia & NZ) can spread out and enjoy themselves. As June was the warmest on record we are lucky to have any skiing at all so I am not complaining about the conditions. Had a good morning at Coronet the groomed runs were in good condition although it feels like it is pretty hard under the top groomed surface. Still have to mainly stay where the snow guns are.
ski holidays
The last week has been rather warm with a bit of rain off and on so the mountains are looking somewhat battered. The warmest winter on record continues. A little colder over the next week and some snow tomorrow will help a little but we are a long way from where we want to be at this time of the year.
ski holidays
A little snow on Sunday (10 to 15cm) and full on snow making has repaired the damage caused by the warmth and rain of the previous week. Cardrona is the best of the local mountains but there is fun to be had elsewhere as long as you are not going off piste. Staying cool this week with the possibility of some snow next Sunday/Monday.
snow report
With 20cm at the Remakables and 10cm at Coronet in the last 24 hours and a bit more expected overnight and tomorrow added to the last week of nearly non stop snow making things are looking better little by little. Still not as much depth as we would like but surface conditions are good and with the school holidays over it is s good time to enjoy the snow.
snow report
Good day at Coronet today with about 15cm of new snow and no crowds. Surface conditions were nice but off piste still very limited. A grey day so no photos but tomorrow is looking like sunshine all day Very Happy
ski holidays
Yesterday was rather grey again but a few photos from today to show the conditions. No crowds and a beautiful day.

Towards town

The Hurdle

Top of the Meadows chair

Top of the M1
ski holidays
After a good week of skiing the weather packed in and we got very warm winds and rain. Luckily it cooled down last night and snowed 5cm to 10cm at Coronet. That with snow making has repaired the pistes but off piste looks pretty bad. The Remakables being higher got 25cm to 30cm and was good skiing this morning. Off piste was fun but still plenty of rocks out there. Very busy by lunch time and the road was closed as no more parking space. It looks like we could get a couple of little falls during the week to keep thing nice and fresh.
ski holidays
NM, ignore.
ski holidays
With a few light falls during the week conditions are improving. The Remarkables is claiming 45cm in the last 48hrs and Coronet has had 15 to 20. Cardrona has also picked up 35 to 40 so every one is happy. Off piste at Remarkables and Cardrona is now reasonably covered. Still not the as much as we want but enough for lots of fun to be had. Very Happy

Coronet Peak from home

Towards Queenstown from the Remakables access road.

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
25cm to 45cm on the mountains in the last 36hrs has made quite an improvement to the conditions especially the amount of off piste terrain available. With a few more cm's forecast for tomorrow we now have good skiing on all the local mountains with very good conditions on the higher runs.
snow report
nice reports/pics ... keep 'em coming!
latest report
gortonator, Thanks. A few cm's in the last 24hrs to keep the surface fresh for us. Remarkables closed today due to high winds but it has been snowing off and on all day with snow lying down to just above the town so the next few days should be excellent as the weather is due to improve overnight.
snow conditions
40cm's and high winds yesterday at the Remarkables created wide spread avalanche conditions so a delayed opening for most lifts while the patrol did their thing. 20cm's at Cardrona and just a few cm's on the other mountains to keep the surface fresh.
ski holidays
Beautiful blue sky for the last few days with superb on piste conditions at Coronet. Off piste is mostly ski-able but the surface is mainly ski packed and a bit lumpy. The other local mountains have good coverage with it being great on piste and variable off. On the unhappy side of things two days ago a helisking trip ended in tragedy. It appears the helicopter crashed on landing near the top of Mt Alta then rolled nearly 1000 meters down the slope. The result is one customer dead and four people seriously injured and two with minor injuries. By the look of the photos it is lucky that anyone survived. A link here http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11310033

A few photos to cheer you up.

The west face of The Remarkables from Queenstown airport

Airport with Ben Lomond and Bowens Peak behind

A general view at Coronet Peak

Towards the top of the Rocky Gully T bar

Mt Earnslaw from Coronet Peak

latest report
The perfect blue sky days have continued so no new snow. The snow is holding up very well and by each morning the groomers have done their magic so the pistes are in good condition. No sign of snow in the forecast so we have to hope it does not warm up too much.
snow conditions
Now into our third week of clear, calm sunny days with at least another week before any change. Just staying cold enough but there is deffinte snow loss on the sunny aspects.
snow report
23 days of calm and sunny with not a single flake of snow. Pistes still good in the mornings and some nice spring off piste in the afternoons. Still no new snow in sight.

Valley fog this morning but it was all gone by 11.00am

ski holidays
Finally a little snow yesterday, the first since August 21st. It did freshen things up but not a big fall. There is more forecast tonight and a gain on Friday/Saturday so we might have a bit of fun before the end of the season Very Happy
snow report
10 to 20cm in the last 24hrs and that is on top of a few light falls over the last week. A definite improvement so the last couple of weeks are looking quite nice.
ski holidays
Excellent - it'll almost inevitably dump after closing weekend Wink
snow report
Well after one day of cold snow it has warmed up and it is now full on spring conditions and getting very sort in the afternoons. Just over a week to the end of the season here. Sad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy